• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA College Basketball Talk

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2017, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Like could the MVC throw us out or the Horizon League demand our return to the conference if we lose?

To your point about UIC: I wonder if maybe since we've moved up we could convince Ottey to transfer here.

VU2014

The MVC isn't going to throw us out over a contractual dispute with the HL. The MVC lawyers have already said they thought it was a frivolous lawsuit. I'm not a lawyer but I don't think there is any way the HL could force us to come back to that conference. This whole situation I'm guessing will be resolved via settlement eventually.

The main reason the HL is fighting is probably because they want to send a warning shot to not poach another one of their schools if the MVC expands again. 

VUGrad1314

Frivolous that they were included in it. There's an obvious legitimate debate over the entrance and exit contracts between us and the HL. I just want it over with so we can all move on.  RE: team poaching and MVC expansion I'm sure the MVC will do whatever it feels it needs to do in order to build the best league possible. The funny thing is they actually did the league a favor at the time when they took Loyola and are trying really hard not to take from the HL again. If stupid Belmont or stupid SLU would just come on already they wouldn't have to. As it stands they're probably going to end up taking NKU but not necessarily because they want to screw over the HL but because it's the best available option. Also when the Metro and MCC formed Conference USA and the remaining MCC teams formed the HL with a bunch of old AMCU teams I don't remember any lawsuits then and some conferences almost ceased did cease to exist. When's the Summit going to sue the HL for raiding their league of VU Oakland IUPUI and at least one more team once the HL expands? Will the WAC or A-SUN be suing anyone if and when they finally break apart? LeCrone may have just opened Pandora's box here.

wh

If I thought the $500,000 fee in question would be invested in the men's bb program, I would care about keeping it. I know it won't be, so I don't.

VU2014

Quote from: wh on January 23, 2018, 01:24:23 PM
If I thought the $500,000 fee in question would be invested in the men's bb program, I would care about keeping it. I know it won't be, so I don't.

Who needs a $500,000 investment in their men's basketball program when you have some beautiful new banners hanging in the ARC? Am I right?   ;)

https://twitter.com/ValleyHoops/status/955168926610219016

M

It was a tough night to be a Drew yesterday.  :-[

bbtds

I was wondering how Homer had the viewing set up for last night. Was he at home in Nashville watching on two TVs? Was he flipping back and forth between ESPN channels? Was he in Norman or Lexington attending one of the games? Where was the rest of the Drew family? So many pertinent questions.

oklahomamick

Did anyone see that Skara is starting for Clemson who just beat UNC?
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 01, 2018, 12:33:41 PM
Did anyone see that Skara is starting for Clemson who just beat UNC?

Clemson's star got hurt so he was thrust into a larger role.

VU2014

M

Alize Johnson, Reed Timmer, and Tevonn Walker (I wouldn't be much of a Valpo fan if I didn't pick a Valpo guy). 

Honestly though, I don't really know many of the other players in our league.

talksalot

I like Kavion Pippen's game at SIU... but there are three teams I haven't see yet...

Hard to argue with Timmer and Johnson... I can't see "Defense" winning this thing...

VUGrad1314

Ingram and Richardson from Loyola should get some consideration, as should Scott from Indiana State

VUGrad1314

I was listening to the Podcast from the Peoria Star (hat tip VU2014 for posting it on Twitter so I could find it) and they mentioned something that got me thinking about Burton. This past offseason the Redbirds signed a sharpshooter named Chris Copeland. He hasn't played all year because he did not qualify academically for Illinois State. They say he's qualified now and will play next year. Do you think that's what Burton was doing in Valpo? Do you think he's working on getting himself academically qualified to play again?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 05, 2018, 06:27:22 PM
I was listening to the Podcast from the Peoria Star (hat tip VU2014 for posting it on Twitter so I could find it) and they mentioned something that got me thinking about Burton. This past offseason the Redbirds signed a sharpshooter named Chris Copeland. He hasn't played all year because he did not qualify academically for Illinois State. They say he's qualified now and will play next year. Do you think that's what Burton was doing in Valpo? Do you think he's working on getting himself academically qualified to play again?

I hope for Joe's sake he continues to strive for his degree.  If we are fortunate enough to have him qualify and come back that's awesome. 

But I sure hope this hiccup doesn't turn into him giving up academically at VU or elsewhere.  Basketball is fleeting, but a degree is forever (or is it diamonds, I always screw that one up).

M

That's good stuff! The HL tournament play was my favorite.

valpo64

Last night, once again my man does it again,  "The King" loses another one.  Can't wait to hear him talk about this one.

VU2014

Wow. Oakland lost to IUPUI.

You can make the case that Valpo has had a "better" season than Oakland. Oakland has been extremely disappointing because this was a "tourney or bust" season for them. Valpo had much less expectations coming into this season.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400992150

M

I believe they got swept by IUPUI this year??!!

VU2014

Quote from: M on February 20, 2018, 06:15:41 AM
I believe they got swept by IUPUI this year??!!

Oakland won the first meeting but IUPUI gave them a scare and almost came back to beat them in their own building and IUPUI isn't great team. A ugly season for "king" Kampe.

SanityLost17

Makes you wonder how we would have faired in the HL this year? 

I think it would be a stretch to say the 8th/9th/10th place team in the MVC would have won the HL, but you gotta think we would have been at least 3rd. 

VU2014

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 20, 2018, 09:11:46 AM
Makes you wonder how we would have faired in the HL this year? 

I think it would be a stretch to say the 8th/9th/10th place team in the MVC would have won the HL, but you gotta think we would have been at least 3rd. 

With Joe Burton we may have been Top 3. Without Joe we'd probably still go through a funk adjusting without him and we'd still probably finish Top 4-5. The Horizon League has more "cupcake" games then ever this season. It's really bad this season

ml2

I don't think anyone would have predicted this going into the season but all ten MVC teams currently have better KenPom ratings than Oakland (the MVC's worst, Illinois State, is immediately ahead of them at 161). The Golden Grizzlies (162) are third in the HL after NKU (91) and Wright State (138).

crusader05

One other pieces is that at least in Horizon League play the coaches wouldn't be learning 10 other teams plays/coaching quirks. The known quality and past schemes we've used would have provided a more solid foundation to build the guys around. We were dealing with a lot of young guys, and a whole new level of competition.