• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA College Basketball Talk

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2017, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

And STILL we have come within an eyelash of being right in the thick of the conference race. That is dang impressive and bodes well for the future.

VULB#62

valpo64

well deserved and now who is next? 

VU2014

VU2014

https://twitter.com/Ddixson_35/status/967247711287369730

Interesting and very odd time to announce a transfer. He was a hell of a player before the knee injury. The injury really seems to have affected him and I'm not sure if he'll ever be the same player he was pre-ACL tear. His stats and efficiency are down across the board. Maybe he isn't fully back from that knee injury.

valpotx

It is complete BS that he was given a RS year, whereas Keith Carter was not.  Yet another example of inconsistent application of RS years by the NCAA, as he played 20+ mpg in 10 games over his second season.
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Great college basketball story. 

ordan Bohannon purposely misses a free throw to remain tied for the most consecutive free throws made in Iowa history with Chris Street. Street never had a chance to extend his streak after dying in a car accident in 1993.
CRUSADERS!!!

usc4valpo

After all these pathetic seasons, DePaul basketball needs an enema like change and they need it now.

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 27, 2018, 08:31:30 AM
After all these pathetic seasons, DePaul basketball needs an enema like change and they need it now.
Carson Cunningham?

crusadermoe

Has the Sean Miller Arizona thing come up on the board here?   I have been off the board for a few days.

When the FBI has your voice on the phone that is pretty good proof.

wh

Butler just lost to Big East bottom feeder St Johns for their 4th loss in their last 6 games. 2 weeks ago I would have said they're a lock for an at-large. Now they're probably going to have to win at Seton Hall on Sat. to have a chance. Both teams are 9-8, but SH won their first matchup and has a better RPI (27 vs. 41).

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 28, 2018, 10:23:14 PM
This could be a problem.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-gonzaga-mountain-west-sdsu-20180228-story.html

Wichita State may start feeling buyer's remorse
when they see this. They're doing well in the AAC, but Gonzaga and Wichita State joining the Mountain West together would turn that conference into the best non P-5/BE conference - hands down, and would be a far better geographic fit for WSU, as well.

crusadermoe

So Gonzaga sees itself was a Western team rather than one belonging in the East?    Wow.

Does St. Louis University realize that is in Missouri and also in a valley?   West Virginia also seems to be a university in need of a map and a compass. 

oklahomamick

Sweet if that happens.  Let's hope we keep the mvc/mw challenge going.  Would be absolutely stunning to host Gonzaga at the ARC.  Not BYU though, tired of beating them....
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: wh on February 28, 2018, 11:07:04 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 28, 2018, 10:23:14 PMThis could be a problem. http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-gonzaga-mountain-west-sdsu-20180228-story.html
Wichita State may start feeling buyer's remorse when they see this. They're doing well in the AAC, but Gonzaga and Wichita State joining the Mountain West together would turn that conference into the best non P-5/BE conference - hands down, and would be a far better geographic fit for WSU, as well.

They could still very easily join up. I don't see the current AAC lasting very long. I think UCONN will leave and the Big 12 will gobble up most of the top teams in that conference when it reconfigures sometime  in the 2020s

zvillehaze

Quote from: wh on February 28, 2018, 10:50:14 PM
Butler just lost to Big East bottom feeder St Johns for their 4th loss in their last 6 games. 2 weeks ago I would have said they're a lock for an at-large. Now they're probably going to have to win at Seton Hall on Sat. to have a chance. Both teams are 9-8, but SH won their first matchup and has a better RPI (27 vs. 41).

Quote from: wh on December 19, 2014, 01:09:02 PM
"Brad" heavily recruited Peters but then ran cold on him when Chrabascz showed interest in Butler. Ultimately, they chose Chrabascz over Peters and the rest is history. AP is a HL POY candidate; Chrabascz is a role player on what will again be a bottom feeding BE team.

I think the game was billed as the "Battle of the Bottom Feeders".  I wish I could get my 2 1/2 hours back.   :-[

oklahomamick

Where is Uconn going?  I can certainly say it's not the Big 12
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Most logically UCONN goes to the Big East with the Big 12 or some lesser conference allowing them to park football there Or to the ACC when Notre Dame takes on full membership I also wouldn't rule out the Big 10 who has plenty of bad football to go round but might enjoy having a basketball program with such pedigree (I could see Kansas as a companion addition out West for divisions sake. Of course I don't see the Big 10 making any moves like that until Texas and Oklahoma decide where they're going to go. This is something that I don't think will take place for another 5-7 years.

valpotx

UConn doesn't fit the Big East model
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

If UCONN left the AAC then WSU would need to quickly reevaluate if the move to the American was the right move for them.

I think if the Big East were to take any public school it would be UCONN. Problem is what would they do with football. No chance the AAC let's them stay in the conference. I'd think the most likely add would be Dayton.

talksalot

Let's just go back to the basics... and see where it takes us...at times this year, it seemed our team was playing under these rules...
===============================================================================

The first thirteen rules of "Basket Ball," as published by James Naismith in "The Triangle" of January 1892, are as follows:

1. The ball may be thrown in any direction with one or both hands.
2. The ball may be batted in any direction with one or both hands (never with the fist).
3. A player cannot run with the ball. The player must throw it from the spot on which he catches it, allowance to be made for a man who catches the ball when running at good speed if he tries to stop.
4. The ball must be held in or between the hands, the arms or body must not be used for holding it.
5. No shouldering, holding, pushing, tripping or striking in any way the person of an opponent shall be allowed; the first infringement of this rule by any person shall count as a foul, the second shall disqualify him until the next goal is made, or if there was evident intent to injure the person, for the whole of the game, no substitute allowed.
6. A foul is striking the ball with the fist, violation of rules 3 and 4, and such as described in rule 5.
7. If either side makes three consecutive fouls it shall count a goal for opponents (consecutive means without the opponents in the mean time making a foul).
8. A goal shall be made when the ball is thrown or batted from grounds into the basket and stays there, providing those defending the goal do not touch or disturb the goal. If the ball rests on the edges, and the opponent moves the basket, it shall count as a goal.
9. When the ball goes out of bounds, it shall be thrown into the field of play by the person first touching it. In case of a dispute, the umpire shall throw it straight into the field. The thrower in is allowed five seconds, if he holds it longer, it shall go to the opponent. If any side persists in delaying the game, the umpire shall call a foul on them.
10. The umpire shall be judge of the men and shall note the fouls and notify the referee when three consecutive fouls have been made. He shall have power to disqualify men according to Rule 5.
11. The referee shall be the judge of the ball and shall decide when the ball is in play, in bounds, to which side it belongs, and shall keep the time. He shall decide when a goal has been made, and keep account of the goals with any other duties that are usually performed by a referee.
12. The time shall be fifteen-minutes, halves, with five minutes' rests between.
13. The side making the most goals in that time shall be declared the winner. In the case of a draw, the game may, by agreement of the captains, be continued until another goal is made.

bigmosmithfan1

It appears the Ramblers are getting UNI-ed. 40-37 game with 6 minutes and change left.

vu72

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on March 02, 2018, 01:38:44 PM
It appears the Ramblers are getting UNI-ed. 40-37 game with 6 minutes and change left.

Ramblers hang on, win 54-50.  Interestingly enough, POY Custer scored 2 points.  Was fouled twice with under 50 seconds to go and missed the front end both times.  A win is a win.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Good news for bubble teams. Nebraska just punched it's ticket to the NIT today.