• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA College Basketball Talk

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2017, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Wow UConn's women NEVER lost an AAC game. That's amazing. That's dominance. Luckily for them they'll be going into a better more challenging league.

talksalot

two upsets in the opening round of the ACC...

14 beat 11. and. 13 beat 12.   hard to believe I'm talking about North Carolina and Pitt.

VUGrad1314

NDSU 89 UND 53

A Valpo record falls tonight. The previous record for margin of victory in a Mid-Con\Summit League Championship game was 33 points set by the Valparaiso Crusaders who in 2002 defeated the Jaguars of IUPUI 88-55. It's amazing to think that neither of those teams is in the league any longer. Crazier still is that IUPUI was the team that replaced us in the Horizon when we left for the Valley.

wh

NCAA men's and women's basketball tournaments to take place 'with only essential staff and limited family attendance'

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ncaa-mens-and-womens-basketball-tournaments-coronavirus

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 06, 2020, 09:53:25 AM
"Uphill climb" for Augustana to joint D1, Summit League

https://kelo.com/news/articles/2020/mar/05/augustana-has-applied-for-summit-membership-but-it-will-be-an-uphill-climb-for-invite/991736/

Douple said he told Augustana president Stephanie Herseth Sandlin -- who he called "an outstanding president" -- that she is going to have to "change some narrative and change some minds."

"One (Summit) president told me, (Augustana is) a small school in a small state with a small alumni base and a small endowment," Douple said to KWSN.

"Somehow, (Herseth Sandlin) and the university has got to be able to change that narrative into some positive thinking, got to create some other area where there is added value. Presidents, they obviously look at things a lot different from most folks, but that's why they're in those great positions. But, those are the challenges that need to be addressed. Maybe they can, maybe they can't. But (Herseth Sandlin) is aware of that."

Interesting, Lutheran, small school, small alumni base, small endowment, BUT a history of winning in the lower division. They need to convince their board of directors, especially in these tough times for colleges/universities, that it is worth the move. I'm sure they are looking at Wagner and Valpo and probably Augustana-Rock Island who hasn't made the move but has been successful.

vu72

Quote from: wh on March 11, 2020, 05:00:22 PM
NCAA men's and women's basketball tournaments to take place 'with only essential staff and limited family attendance'

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ncaa-mens-and-womens-basketball-tournaments-coronavirus

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more posts.  THIS IS A DISASTER!!  First, I'm kinda glad we missed out on the tourney this year!  That's the "tis an ill wind indeed that blows no good" part of it.  But the NCAA is missing out on perhaps billions of revenues, which make up the payouts to schools and a lot of other stuff. If this makes it to the fall, the bottom could fall out.

How this will effect colleges with students not showing up is an unknown.  Needless to say, we need some SERIOUS National leadership, not someone saying "the number of cases is going down".  God help us.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

Big Ten tournament will have no spectators after tonight. This is really bad. I hope we get this under control in time for next season.

justducky

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 11, 2020, 06:03:42 PM
Big Ten tournament will have no spectators after tonight. This is really bad. I hope we get this under control in time for next season.

I'm just hoping that us old guys will survive until next season and have enough money left from the financial panic to be able to buy tickets. ;)

NativeCheesehead

I have a lot of political anger right now. But for tonight I'm just going to say a prayer that all those really vulnerable to this come through this ok. We can worry about the rest when it's all done.

I believe strongly in the power in prayer. Anyone else who does, please join me tonight.

VUGrad1314

If you didn't think this was serious (Like me a few days ago) hear this: The NBA has just suspended their season until further notice after a star player on the Utah Jazz reportedly had symptoms that look a lot like the Coronavirus.

VUGrad1314

For anyone who is still skeptical (and I was a few days ago when Chicago State kicked everything off by cancelling their trip to Seattle and Utah Valley and I made fun of them for ducking their opponents to save money because they knew they were going to lose anyway and suggested they should drop out of D1) The CIT needs to stop being stubborn and putting money over peoples' lives and cancel for this year. It's in everyone's best interest (and this is coming from a fan who wanted to see their team play in that tournament to build momentum for next year). This is no ordinary year. It's no ordinary flu and these are no ordinary circumstances. Saner heads must prevail.

I'm preparing for the announcement that the NCAA Tournament as a whole is cancelled for this year. It's probably the right call just to halt play and put an end to the season entirely. Even if we want them to play (and I would certainly prefer that the games be played if given a real choice and not one where peoples' very lives are at stake) consider the following: How are they going to make the money for the payouts without ticket and concession sales anyway? It can't all come from the TV contract. Are commentators considered "essential personnel?" And if not are you really going to watch a basketball game with no fans AND no commentary?

Maybe it's time to put people over profit and mankind of money and just come together and ride this out without demanding our bread and circuses all the time. As much as I love college basketball and I love seeing the mids take the fight to the big boys there are more important things to life than sports. And life itself is far more valuable than any basketball game.

elephtheria47

What happens if we had won the MVC tourney but then the NCAAT was cancelled? This ish is getting crazy! No way the tourney happens with all of the schools shutting down.

NotBryceDrew

What is wrong in Oakland? 6 transfers last year and 5 in the portal currently. Even in this day and age of the transfer portal that is not normal.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: elephtheria47 on March 11, 2020, 09:29:41 PMWhat happens if we had won the MVC tourney but then the NCAAT was cancelled? This ish is getting crazy! No way the tourney happens with all of the schools shutting down.

I don't know but the NCAA needs to take everyone's lead (big surprise) and cancel (or at least suspend) the tournament. I love how everyone is complaining about the NCAA's lack of leadership on this issue. Congratulations on being where mid majors have been for years. What did you expect from an organization that didn't give the death penalty to Penn State football? What did you expect from an organization that declined to punish North Carolina AT ALL for running fake athlete classes and letting other people do their work for them? What do you expect from an organization that isn't going to do a darn thing to Kansas Louisville Auburn USC LSU or any other organizations embroiled in the recruiting scandal? What do you expect from an organization that allowed six conferences to rule the roost and control everything in college sports? What do you expect from this rules for me and rules for thee organization? It can't be fair-minded forward-thinking leadership because the NCAA has had several opportunities to demonstrate that and has failed miserably. Maybe this issue will stoke further reform but I won't hold my breath on that. Congratulations to the NCAA on leading from behind once again.

VUGrad1314

CIT cancelled. Valpo's season is officially over. They did the right ting.

IndyValpo

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on March 12, 2020, 12:22:09 PM
What is wrong in Oakland? 6 transfers last year and 5 in the portal currently. Even in this day and age of the transfer portal that is not normal.
I thought this would be the last year for Kampe but they just signed him for 3 more years.

VUGrad1314

Coaches are pushing for it but I still doubt it happens nor should it really. Though it would be awesome to get Kiser and Fazekas back in here for one more go as long as we can keep all of our incoming recruits too!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/coaches-want-the-ncaa-to-allow-senior-basketball-players-to-return-next-season-but-its-a-complicated-issue/

crusadermoe

Wow, in hindsight, the timing of Arch Madness was very fortunate.   And Valpo made the most of it by proving itself as a contender and building big excitement for next year!!. 

Now that we felt the joy of the Arch Madness weekend format, it's a no-brainer improvement over the boring Horizon tourney and its typical low seed NCAA auto-bid.     

VUGrad1314

To be fair our auto bid has been a low seed the past two years. That said that team was seeded 5th and 4th respectively in those years.

valpopal

Beginning Sunday evening, CBS Sports Network will be replaying old March Madness games, which will include the 1998 Ole Miss v Valpo game to be broadcast Wednesday morning:

[tweet]1241018938735067136[/tweet]

VUGrad1314

I want to see all the great Valley upsets! Do they have a time for when every game will be on so we can pick the ones we want to see?

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on March 20, 2020, 10:48:18 AM
Beginning Sunday evening, CBS Sports Network will be replaying old March Madness games, which will include the 1998 Ole Miss v Valpo game to be broadcast Wednesday morning at 10 am (ET).

rogerwilco