• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA College Basketball Talk

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2017, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

If Akron leaves the MAC where would they go? Horizon would be the best geographic fit but would the MVC be interested\would they be interested in the MVC?

VUGrad1314

This sucks for Belmont and by extension for all mid major basketball because this crap keeps happening even before the one time transfer exception probably kicks in.... You really hate to see it....

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1285730884075872256

VU2014

Wow 😳. I didn't see that coming. I think it just goes to show that, yes NCAA Football and NCAA Men's football generate lots of revenue (for a limited amount of schools) but college athletics is not as profitable as people make it out to be.

Those who are in favor of paying student-athletes don't see the whole financial picture...

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1301250172215754752?s=21

PlumStreetBum

NCAA ≠ power conference schools. If it ever comes to pass, professional NCAA athletes would be paid by their schools, where the money is, not the NCAA.
FWIW, this is why paying college athletes would widen the gap between power schools and everyone else.

VUGrad1314

Sigh... We're going to end up with two separate tournaments aren't we?

VUGrad1314

Some chatter that Chicago State was considering a move to a new conference with the Horizon and the OVC as options and the OVC considered more likely. Also here's this nugget from Tarleton State's President (Skip to around 1 hr 3 minutes) Sounds like the WAC is getting a new member. Some speculation on other boards that it might be West Texas A&M. It feels like the WAC is reforming with a true regional identity now and that is good for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuD1RiYnSuE

valpotx

West Texas A&M is a former D-1 institution, many years ago.  It wouldn't be a complete surprise. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Not only that but a former national champion if I'm not mistaken.

vu84v2

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 03, 2020, 06:28:15 AM
Not only that but a former national champion if I'm not mistaken.

I think that you are confusing them with Texas Western in 1966. Texas Western subsequently changed its name to Texas-El Paso.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vu84v2 on October 03, 2020, 01:20:01 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 03, 2020, 06:28:15 AMNot only that but a former national champion if I'm not mistaken.
I think that you are confusing them with Texas Western in 1966. Texas Western subsequently changed its name to Texas-El Paso.

Then yes I am indeed mistaken. Thank you for clearing that up. I thought it was either West Texas A&M or a school that later became UTEP but I wasn't clear on which one. Thanks again!

valpotx

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 04, 2020, 02:03:36 AM
Big things for Austin Peay a rising OVC school.

http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/new-digs-for-austin-peay/

I liked Austin Peay's campus, and this sounds like a good move for them.  They have actually done pretty well in football recently, as well.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpotx on October 04, 2020, 03:36:47 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 04, 2020, 02:03:36 AMBig things for Austin Peay a rising OVC school. http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/new-digs-for-austin-peay/
I liked Austin Peay's campus, and this sounds like a good move for them.  They have actually done pretty well in football recently, as well.

Their basketball team has come on very strong in recent years as well. I know that they had been successful historically and are a big rival of Murray State but they had a pretty long period in obscurity. It appears however that Matt Figger has brought them back and now they will have a beautiful new facility to call home. Maybe they're angling for a new higher level conference home? The strategy of building a nice new arena worked for Robert Morris, maybe it'll work for them. I understand that Robert Morris was a target for the HL for a long time and that they got in on the strength of their program clearly but you have to believe the arena helped.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 04, 2020, 04:55:51 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 04, 2020, 02:03:36 AMBig things for Austin Peay a rising OVC school. http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/new-digs-for-austin-peay/

Their basketball team has come on very strong in recent years as well. I know that they had been successful historically and are a big rival of Murray State but they had a pretty long period in obscurity. It appears however that Matt Figger has brought them back and now they will have a beautiful new facility to call home. Maybe they're angling for a new higher level conference home? The strategy of building a nice new arena worked for Robert Morris, maybe it'll work for them. I understand that Robert Morris was a target for the HL for a long time and that they got in on the strength of their program clearly but you have to believe the arena helped.

Once again, a school benefits from being in a larger population area. They didn't build it, it is a county facility that they are using. Just like Evansville and others. Clarksville is a suburb of Nashville. Not a small town like Valpo.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on October 04, 2020, 07:41:53 AM

Once again, a school benefits from being in a larger population area. They didn't build it, it is a county facility that they are using. Just like Evansville and others. Clarksville is a suburb of Nashville. Not a small town like Valpo.

If it's any consolation, I can't imagine any new tax payer funded arenas/stadiums/convention centers being built for years to come.  Many large cities have gone from severely in the red before COVID to financial ruin now. Add to that the rioting, looting, arson, murder and mayhem, handcuffing police, reducing police funding, underfunded pension plans, junk bond ratings, over the top tax rates, etc., and large cities are self-destructing before our eyes. What's more, the business world has learned that large trade shows, conferences, and even face-to-face meetings are not necessary. Most of that stuff is just a big boondoggle and always has been. People/companies participated, myself included, because that's the way the game was played. Since these cities have shut down and all of that stuff cancelled, I haven't talked to a person who says they miss it. The arrogance of big city mayors to think that after shutting their economy down, placating rioting and looting in downtown commercial/tourist areas, and stabbing their police departments in the back, that they can simply flip the switch back on whenever they want and everyone will come flooding back is mind boggling. They have foolishly squandered all trust and credibility with the paying public. I fear it will take many painful years and regime changes to earn it back.

PlumStreetBum

Quote from: wh on October 05, 2020, 11:38:12 AMWhat's more, the business world has learned that large trade shows, conferences, and even face-to-face meetings are not necessary. Most of that stuff is just a big boondoggle and always has been. People/companies participated, myself included, because that's the way the game was played. Since these cities have shut down and all of that stuff cancelled, I haven't talked to a person who says they miss it. 

Not to take us further down this tangent, but... I haven't talked to many peoole who don't miss it at this point. Clearly we know different people  :lol:

wh

Quote from: PlumStreetBum on October 06, 2020, 07:25:02 AM
Quote from: wh on October 05, 2020, 11:38:12 AMWhat's more, the business world has learned that large trade shows, conferences, and even face-to-face meetings are not necessary. Most of that stuff is just a big boondoggle and always has been. People/companies participated, myself included, because that's the way the game was played. Since these cities have shut down and all of that stuff cancelled, I haven't talked to a person who says they miss it. 

Not to take us further down this tangent, but... I haven't talked to many peoole who don't miss it at this point. Clearly we know different people  :lol:

I'm referring to those who pay the bills for their organizations and employees to attend conferences, trade shows, symposiums, lectures, training sessions, airline tickets, hotels, rental cars, Meals, mileage, etc. Add to that wining and dining clients, tickets to sporting events, theater, meals, bar tabs, gifts, corporate tables at community dinner events, golf outings, etc. To your point, I'm sure there are many people on the receiving end (employees and clients alike) who miss it dearly.  ;)

IndyValpo

Clarksville is a city of about 150,000 the 5th largest in TN. They are not a suburb of Nashville, however. The are about an hour northwest.

PlumStreetBum

Quote from: wh on October 06, 2020, 11:46:28 AM
Quote from: PlumStreetBum on October 06, 2020, 07:25:02 AM
I'm referring to those who pay the bills for their organizations and employees to attend conferences, trade shows, symposiums, lectures, training sessions, airline tickets, hotels, rental cars, Meals, mileage, etc. Add to that wining and dining clients, tickets to sporting events, theater, meals, bar tabs, gifts, corporate tables at community dinner events, golf outings, etc. To your point, I'm sure there are many people on the receiving end (employees and clients alike) who miss it dearly.  ;)

I see we are natural enemies: Sales vs Finance, a rivalry for the ages!
  :cheers:

bbtds

Quote from: wh on October 05, 2020, 11:38:12 AM

If it's any consolation, I can't imagine any new tax payer funded arenas/stadiums/convention centers being built for years to come.  Many large cities have gone from severely in the red before COVID to financial ruin now. Add to that the rioting, looting, arson, murder and mayhem, handcuffing police, reducing police funding, underfunded pension plans, junk bond ratings, over the top tax rates, etc., and large cities are self-destructing before our eyes. What's more, the business world has learned that large trade shows, conferences, and even face-to-face meetings are not necessary. Most of that stuff is just a big boondoggle and always has been. People/companies participated, myself included, because that's the way the game was played. Since these cities have shut down and all of that stuff cancelled, I haven't talked to a person who says they miss it. The arrogance of big city mayors to think that after shutting their economy down, placating rioting and looting in downtown commercial/tourist areas, and stabbing their police departments in the back, that they can simply flip the switch back on whenever they want and everyone will come flooding back is mind boggling. They have foolishly squandered all trust and credibility with the paying public. I fear it will take many painful years and regime changes to earn it back.

You only wish this was so. Once the pandemic and the vaccine is in place and tRump is no longing stroking the descension between the left & right wings the big cities will regain the destination statuses that they formally held. Getting the tRumpster out of office will seem like a miracle happening for big cities. Chicago was just voted the #1 destination, dispite all the issues, by a major publication.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.curbed.com/platform/amp/2019/10/7/20902970/chicago-best-big-city-visit-conde-nast-traveler-tourism

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7chicago.com/amp/chicago-best-city-to-visit-big-cities-in-america-cond%25C3%25A9-nast-traveler-poll-votes/6837311/

vu72

Quote from: IndyValpo on October 06, 2020, 04:36:08 PM

Clarksville is a city of about 150,000 the 5th largest in TN. They are not a suburb of Nashville, however. The are about an hour northwest.

I should have said "essentially a suburb" It is in fact 47 miles from city center to city center and a populated area in between.  I lived in Nashville.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Corohan2

just trying to find out more about Fazekas. what happened post season? cant find out anything so far.

Pgmado

Quote from: Corohan2 on October 31, 2020, 03:43:22 AMjust trying to find out more about Fazekas. what happened post season? cant find out anything so far.

Lottich talked about this on latest episode of Union Street Hoops. Sounds like he moved out east and is looking to get into law enforcement of some kind. I believe that is what Lottich said.

Corohan2

Quote from: Pgmado on October 31, 2020, 04:02:56 PM
Quote from: Corohan2 on October 31, 2020, 03:43:22 AMjust trying to find out more about Fazekas. what happened post season? cant find out anything so far.
Lottich talked about this on latest episode of Union Street Hoops. Sounds like he moved out east and is looking to get into law enforcement of some kind. I believe that is what Lottich said.
oh ok thanks I'll check it out. Imagine that 6'8 cop in riot gear!