• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA College Basketball Talk

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2017, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpolaw

Same, and I also miss not being mediocre

VUGrad1314

Chicago State will leave the WAC in July 2022. No talk of dropping out of D1. Maybe they'll join the MEAC?

https://www.gocsucougars.com/news/2021/1/14/general-chicago-state-university-announces-plan-to-leave-western-athletic-conference-in-june-2022.aspx

UT-Rio Grande Valley adding football (FCS) by 2023 or 2024

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2021/01/14/utrgv-commits-to-add-fcs-football-by-2024?ref=article_preview_img

Growing speculation that a western expansion of the AAC might be imminent involving Boise State San Diego State and one other team (Army? Air Force? BYU?) No telling how this impact basketball at the mid major level. Some talk that the Mountain West is prepared to lose 3 teams so Air Force could be the team. Though one source says it might be Army.

VUGrad1314

Central Arkansas to Atlantic Sun... This must mean that Jacksonville State and Eastern Kentucky will probably announce soon as well...

MVC, it's time to take the temperature on Belmont and Murray State once this is announced.

valpotx

I really hope that Belmont and Murray State happens this time.  With the HL going to 12 teams, and more moves to be had in the future, it would help to stabilize the MVC.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpotx on January 15, 2021, 02:36:27 AMI really hope that Belmont and Murray State happens this time.  With the HL going to 12 teams, and more moves to be had in the future, it would help to stabilize the MVC.

Not to mention make it a much better conference than it already is. I get the sense (from their fanbase) Murray State is still interested especially if the Racers football team can have a football home in the MVFC. I wonder if Belmont has reconsidered now that Byrd isn't running the show anymore. I've heard rumors that they're really looking to grow and expand their brand and influence. The MVC can help with that and they can help the MVC by being the same strong program they've always been. With the right schools I'd be down with going beyond 12 but for right now I'd be content just to have Belmont and Murray State. Teams on my radar are:

South Dakota State (Perennial top 100 program with solid top 50 potential as they have shown Would be a terrific add

North Dakota State (companion add The Jackrabbits are really the prize here but there is some potential)

Wright State (Would need to improve their financial situation first and get a little better as a program)

Northern Kentucky (needs to grow a bit more and get better)

UIC (only if we lose Loyola and they need to keep growing but I like the progress they are making)

Then a big gap before anyone else (No A-10 team is going to leave that conference for the MVC so I did not include Dayton or SLU)

VUGrad1314

It's behind a paywall and I'm still waiting for officially official confirmation but it sounds like the Eastern Kentucky Jacksonville State and Central Arkansas move to the ASUN is pretty much done. Word is that other schools might be involved but not sure which ones. Names speculated are: Chattanooga East Tennessee State Western Carolina Austin Peay Tennessee Tech Tennessee State and West Florida (D2). Also continued rumors of North Florida starting football but nothing substantiated yet there. My take is that any of the OVC schools could move but I have trouble seeing any school leaving the SOCON with how good it has been in basketball. Even with these additions the A-Sun move would be a huge step down from the SOCON in that sport but it would be a step up for any OVC team who might join up.

https://www.timesdaily.com/sports/una_sports/asun-expansion-central-arkansas-jacksonville-state-and-eastern-kentucky-to-join/article_0c91cb1d-7a7c-5047-a1a9-2459bed4a3e0.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

vu84v2

Last night's Kansas-Baylor game had one of the wildest "Bad Beats" you'll ever see.

https://thecomeback.com/ncaa/baylors-win-over-kansas-featured-a-brutal-bad-beat-at-the-buzzer.html

In fact, the video clip doesn't do justice to everything that happened in the last minute for Kansas to beat the spread. I also recommend focusing on the guy with the white hat in the bottom right corner of the screen.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 19, 2021, 04:29:34 PMLast night's Kansas-Baylor game had one of the wildest "Bad Beats" you'll ever see. https://thecomeback.com/ncaa/baylors-win-over-kansas-featured-a-brutal-bad-beat-at-the-buzzer.html In fact, the video clip doesn't do justice to everything that happened in the last minute for Kansas to beat the spread. I also recommend focusing on the guy with the white hat in the bottom right corner of the screen.

Oof That's brutal So sorry for anyone who had that bet

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VALPO LI

That is strange! The ASun also has EKU, Jacksonville St. and Central Arkansas logo's plastered all over their web site as if they are part of the ASun Conference already.  I believe the 3 become official members of the ASun July 1 2021.

https://asunsports.org/landing/index
Shine on Vu

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VALPO LI

That's even more of a reason Valpo should change their mascot to the Kernels.  Pick up a new sponsor, get a new arena and call ourselves The Valparaiso University Orville Redenbacher's Golden Kernels. :thumbsup:
Shine on Vu

valpotx

Neat story for the kid, tied to the Bryce name, but also that he was a former Student Manager/Marketing Intern, before making the team last year.  Not much playing time, but a neat story.
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Belmont getting snubbed after winning 26 games and going 18-2 in the ovc.  Does this at least get them to ask the question....."better conference?"
CRUSADERS!!!

NotBryceDrew

It's not a snub at all. It's an undeserving team that didn't get in. They played 0 Quad 1 games, 1 Quad 2 game (and lost). That's not a resume.

Any bottom four valley team would be in contention for OVC championship any given year.

valpo95

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 15, 2021, 10:49:21 AM
Belmont getting snubbed after winning 26 games and going 18-2 in the ovc.  Does this at least get them to ask the question....."better conference?"
It is a snub that they didn't get to go to the NIT. I'm pretty sure that in the past, regular season conference champs who lost in their conference tournament got an NIT bid. However, this year there are only 16 NIT teams, not 32, so that consideration got thrown out the window.

Getting an at-large NCAA bid is tough for any mid-major.

vu84v2

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on March 15, 2021, 11:28:08 AM
It's not a snub at all. It's an undeserving team that didn't get in. They played 0 Quad 1 games, 1 Quad 2 game (and lost). That's not a resume.

Any bottom four valley team would be in contention for OVC championship any given year.

I agree and disagree here. While SOS is important, a question (at least for this season) is "who did Belmont try to schedule?" If they were calling Power 6 teams that were close to them and noone agreed to play them, then Belmont had no chance unless it won its conference tournament.

VUGrad1314

Nevertheless it's telling that they didn't even get an NIT bid (even though they would have in any normal year). As someone on the Murray State board said "It shows what the Powers that Be think of the OVC." I wonder if that and recent realignment events that are going to take much of the support Belmont and Murray State had in the conference away is going to influence them to consider their options again. Remember: it's very possible that Austin Peay will be leaving soon as well possibly Tennessee State and Western Illinois could be (and would be) a logical add. With the balance of membership in the OVC shifting to the west as it would appear does Belmont still want to remain in that league when they have a chance to step up and secure their scheduling now and in the future? It's very possible that they might be more receptive this time around and thanks to being a multibid league without their help this time we don't have to come hat in hand and looking desperate.

valpotx

Demonstrating multiple bids in all sports this season, has to show Belmont that they need to take a hard look at the MVC this offseason.  Similar to our wakeup call when a crappy Syracuse team go in over Alec's JR year team, this is a defining moment for Belmont going forward. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

bb33

I heard a rumor that DePaul wants Moser.   Not saying he's leaving, but moving within town for double the money may be appealing.  We will have to see what happens once Loyola is out.

FWalum

Quote from: bb33 on March 16, 2021, 08:21:34 AM
I heard a rumor that DePaul wants Moser.   Not saying he's leaving, but moving within town for double the money may be appealing.  We will have to see what happens once Loyola is out.
From a monetary standpoint it is probably good for him either way. If the enticement is too big to ignore he will get the big payday at DePaul and if Loyola wants to keep him they will have to pony up. He is most likely going to be earning more no matter what happens.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

tiny707

I don't think Porter leaves Loyola anymore. De Paul AD has too close of a connection to Kenny Payne from Kentucky Days. I think Kenny Payne is top of list. Not sure if they can pay him or he leaves the Knicks though.

valpo84

Should Minnesota be looking at Bryce?  Could bring in Jared Nuness for an assistant.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum