• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA College Basketball Talk

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2017, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nkvu

Never had much love for ORU but I do love when mids beat P-5 schools in the dance. Good on ya ORU!  Well done 👏

VUGrad1314

Even though I was a fan as a kid during the Mid-Con era and remember the ORU rivalry we haven't played them in so long that I realized that the rivalry is kinda dead for me and I don't feel the same as I did when I was younger about them. I'm pretty happy for them as I love watching mids crash the party. Their matchup with Arkansas next week is going to be interesting.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

How are the Conference of Champion teams doing so far?

vu84v2

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 22, 2021, 06:38:00 AM
How are the Conference of Champion teams doing so far?

For tonight, we have usc4valpo's graduate alma mater against my graduate alma mater. Much as I hate to say it, usc4valpo should feel very confident.

usc4valpo

We will see my friend. SC can be very flaky although they have decent athletes.

JD24

One of the problems with a tournament full of upsets is that you end up with later rounds of teams playing who pulled those upsets....which is not necessarily what many people want to see.

usc4valpo

Disagree JD24 - watching Loyola and different teams are good. Watching Abilene Christian with a 5-6 guard and a 6-5 264 pound fat dude is a breath of fresh air.

Also, seeing Pac12 teams finally getting respect is good.

JD24

Pac12 teams shouldn't be worrying about any respect if they are supposed to be from any conference of champions.

Most people want to see upsets but would almost prefer that the team advancing was not the team who pulled the upsets as odd as that sounds. An Oral Roberts/ACU final four as a for example would be very poorly watched. Even by the time Butler got to the Championship game they had enough of a runup that it was less of an upset than we see with some of these teams. Loyola was probably underseeded as has been stated on this board.

usc4valpo

JD24 - this board tends to be biased toward Big 10 teams and justifiably so. Recently the Conference of champions has been weak in major revenue sports, but over history they have had great success. The Rose Bowl record is a great indicator.

valpotx

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 22, 2021, 11:53:20 AM
JD24 - this board tends to be biased toward Big 10 teams and justifiably so. Recently the Conference of champions has been weak in major revenue sports, but over history they have had great success. The Rose Bowl record is a great indicator.

I hate the Big 10 and Pac-12, does that help? ;)  Growing up in Texas, you learn to dislike just about all things tied to California ;D.  I also got sick of hearing about Ohio State and Michigan from all of the people from those states, while at Valpo, so I dislike that conference, as well. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

bb33

I took the Illinois loss hard.  I love AYO. I love that he chose his struggling state school and helped make them champions.  That being said, I will be hoping Loyola takes their place all the way to the championship.  Both Loyola and Illinois got screwed, the two teams I really wanted to win.  Loyola should have been a 5 seed, and Illinois had to to play a 5 seed (despite the committee assignment)  in the second round.

And of course this board is Big Ten biased.  Most of us are connected to the midwest -- and cheering for the Big Ten may (and usually does) still include rooting against Ohio State and Michigan. 

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

I think the Pac12 deserves some respect. Duckzilla  destroyed Iowa.

valpotx

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 22, 2021, 03:26:27 PM
I think the Pac12 deserves some respect. Duckzilla  destroyed Iowa.

Respect this  :-X
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Kansas was brutal last night. No other way to say it.

vu84v2

USC looked great last night. Kansas didn't have the talent that they have had in prior years, Wilson did not look ready after recovering from COVID, and the team played poorly. Not much more needs to be said.

usc4valpo

Congrats to the Conference of Champions on a great tournament so far. Oregon-USC should be fun to watch.

valpotx

Forever the Conference of Close-to-First :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Sure, a formerly good Announcer from a formerly good conference.  It will be just like old times! ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Formerly good? Walton is the best!

IndyValpo

Tennessee Martin whose coach passed away right before the season started originally had 19 on their roster. They currently have 15 in the transfer portal.

valpotx

I was wondering if this would come up.  Cancel ORU!!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/no-oral-roberts-university-basketball-135007065.html

I remember when first visiting ORU for the Mid-Con Baseball tournament in 2001, that their players had mentioned that they were not allowed to wear jeans to classes, and interracial dating had only recently become 'somewhat acceptable.'  Don't get them started on public displays of affection or hand-holding, as well.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: valpotx on March 25, 2021, 02:31:14 PM
I was wondering if this would come up.  Cancel ORU!!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/no-oral-roberts-university-basketball-135007065.html

I remember when first visiting ORU for the Mid-Con Baseball tournament in 2001, that their players had mentioned that they were not allowed to wear jeans to classes, and interracial dating had only recently become 'somewhat acceptable.'  Don't get them started on public displays of affection or hand-holding, as well.

In South Dakota this week the NCAA threatened the state's university athletics if the governor signed a law banning transgender athletes from competing in women's sports. Another example why cancel culture is a cancer in this country.