• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2017-18

Started by VU2014, April 07, 2017, 10:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on October 23, 2017, 01:30:41 PM
We used to do a Midnight "Mayhem" in the late 90s / early aughts. That would have been a great thing to do for this year. I'm willing to give it the year, but thus far i've seen little sense of urgency to take advantage of the conference move, other than a catchy hashtag #ValpoInTheValley.

You're right, a Midnight Madness /Mayhem event this year would have made a lot of sense. That said, it could be even more meaningful next year after having won the conference regular season and tournament championships in our inagural season in the MVC. (No wink face by design).

NativeCheesehead

Good Point, wh, and this goes in tandem with my post on the faculties thread. When presented with binary, in the moment decisions, such as coaching hires, conference changes, etc, the powers that be at Vu have tended to make very good decisions, as time has borne out thus far.

What we don't see much of is opportunistic thinking. I recall being a student during the Sweet 16 run and being surprised in the following two years before my graduation that it seemed little changed in the way of marketing and promotions. Different time, different pres and AD, but those same problems seem to have carried over.

VU2014

I'm really looking forward to watching Tevonn play next season!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYRSMeVQLfE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyh6xfzyrBQ

ValpoDad89

CBS just did the annual rankings of all D1 Basketball teams. Valpo came in at #160. MVC teams ahead of them in order were: Mo State, Loyola, Illinois State, Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois. So basically 6th. Interesting they have Oakland coming in at #45 and have UIC, Northern Kentucky and Wright State ranked ahead. This year they ar saying Valpo would be 5th in the conference. I think they're terribly underestimating this team but rather be under the radar.

Other teams of note due to OOC scheduling or regional ties:
Northwestern 14
Purdue 24
Vandy 46
Butler 54
Belmont 90
Ball state 103
Stamford 137
Murray State 154
Indiana State 172

Hopefully those big dogs up top help keep RPI respectable.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ranking-all-351-college-basketball-teams-from-duke-to-alabama-a-m/

VU2014

Thoughts? I said yes we will make the postseason. I'm not expecting that an NCAA Tournament appearance but I am expecting we make either the CBI or CIT Tournament with upside for a NIT appearance.

The 2013-2014 Valpo Team was very young led by LaVonte Dority made the CIT that year. I think this team absolutely has the potential make a postseason tournament.

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/923598239638675458
https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/923598447856451584

VU2014

Interesting. Obviously Lexus, Chandler, & Middleton are not part of the team anymore but they said they'd be updating it soon.

https://twitter.com/YaleSportsGroup/status/923621184910123008
https://twitter.com/YaleSportsGroup/status/923630971127324673

VU2014

;D ;D ;D If you get a chance listen to Paul's interview with Barry Hinson. He shares his thoughts about the Valpo Student Section  ;D ;D starts at 39:30 if you want to give a listen. I remember someone mentioning Hinson got into some dust ups with the student section in his time at Oral Roberts.
http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_4d07fdfc-ba5d-11e7-8e65-5bccbef8c7ad.html

VU2014

Sounds like Valpo won the scrimmage against Northern Illinois! Also really good to hear Bakari looks good! Hopefully we hear a few more details of how guys looked.
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/924358537869955079

VU2014

One of Parker Hazen's friend tweeted out that Parker started in the closed scrimmage against NIU. I'm assuming he started at the 4 position, which has been the biggest question mark for Valpo Basketball going into the season.
https://twitter.com/bechtold_5/status/924341048167542786

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on October 28, 2017, 02:44:45 PM
Sounds like Valpo won the scrimmage against Northern Illinois! Also really good to hear Bakari looks good! Hopefully we hear a few more details of how guys looked.
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/924358537869955079

Not surprised that Bakari did well as I've been touting him.  Still can't believe that Nebraska didn't give him a opportunity to play as a freshman.  Coach Miles will be regretting that for the next three years as Nebraska continues to occupy the Big Ten cellar.

VU2014

Quote from: EddieCabot on October 28, 2017, 07:08:48 PM
Not surprised that Bakari did well as I've been touting him.  Still can't believe that Nebraska didn't give him a opportunity to play as a freshman.  Coach Miles will be regretting that for the next three years as Nebraska continues to occupy the Big Ten cellar.

Miles might not be the coach at Nebraska much longer. They've been underperforming there and they just hired a new AD and he may want his own guy.

VU2014

Some very sad news. Coach Ragland's father passed away earlier this week. Praying for him and his family. 🙏
https://twitter.com/CoachLansing/status/924077749798567936
https://twitter.com/CoachZimba/status/924244754371559424

wh

VU2014

Valpower

I hope Micah's injury is not serious.  I was very impressed with his offensive game against Robert Morris (though I didn't pay as close attention to his defense) and I get the feeling I may be somewhat alone. There was faint praise for him in the RMU game thread after his 17-pt, 5-rebound, 2-steal, 1-block performance and I suspect it's because everybody is more interested in Bakari's performance and potential and a little down on Micah's still-slight frame. Given what I saw of his speed and shooting, I gotta say I don't worry about his bulk or his status as a starter; I just want him available as a unique piece of a diverse attack.

VU2014

Quote from: Valpower on November 05, 2017, 01:33:18 AM
I hope Micah's injury is not serious.  I was very impressed with his offensive game against Robert Morris (though I didn't pay as close attention to his defense) and I get the feeling I may be somewhat alone. There was faint praise for him in the RMU game thread after his 17-pt, 5-rebound, 2-steal, 1-block performance and I suspect it's because everybody is more interested in Bakari's performance and potential and a little down on Micah's still-slight frame. Given what I saw of his speed and shooting, I gotta say I don't worry about his bulk or his status as a starter; I just want him available as a unique piece of a diverse attack.

Your definitely not alone. He looked good out there. He may have slightly overshadowed because everyone was watching all the new guys though. What really stood out to me was his overall composure and confidence on the court more then anything. I'm not going to get too excite because he was playing against D2 competition but regardless he looked noticeably better. I want to see how he looks against better and stronger athletes defending him before I personally get too excited.

Fingers crossed this injury won't be a major set back. Max apparently didn't have the best game today at the PG position. That back up 1 guard role is up for grabs which is a sizable amount of minutes. Micah may play a blend of 1 and 2 this year.

FieldGoodie05

Does anyone else see Micah as a shoot first PG?  He has a lot to prove to ppl with my logic.  The PG is supposed to move the offense and create ONLY at opportune times do they take a shot immediately after coming up court.

I really like Micah's skill set, but he takes ill advised shots too much for my liking.  Because he has a quick release he thinks the whole floor makes him open.

Bakari on the other hand dishes the ball first.  Season is young, but he passes on his drives often.  Creating easy shots.  I don't see this with Micah yet.

Valpower

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 05, 2017, 09:04:59 AM

Does anyone else see Micah as a shoot first PG?  He has a lot to prove to ppl with my logic.  The PG is supposed to move the offense and create ONLY at opportune times do they take a shot immediately after coming up court.

I really like Micah's skill set, but he takes ill advised shots too much for my liking.  Because he has a quick release he thinks the whole floor makes him open.

Bakari on the other hand dishes the ball first.  Season is young, but he passes on his drives often.  Creating easy shots.  I don't see this with Micah yet.
What I'd like to see him as is a PG you could insert into the game when you want to speed up the tempo so that an opposition that crashes the offensive boards or presses has an occasional price to pay. Nobody wants him taking ill-advised shots, scoring lots of points at a low percentage, or making his teammates flat-footed, but I'd say that if his primary asset is speed versus Bakari's court-vision (and I'm not even certain of this), I wouldn't want to mold both of them into the same archetypical point guard.

VULB#62

If Bakari is our first PG option and Tevonn is our shooting guard this season, who is next in line to back up each -- Max for Bakari and maybe that 'shooting PG' Fieldgoodie alludes to to keep the up Tevonn's offensive pressure?

VU2014

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 05, 2017, 12:20:06 PM
If Bakari is our first PG option and Tevonn is our shooting guard this season, who is next in line to back up each -- Max for Bakari and maybe that 'shooting PG' Fieldgoodie alludes to to keep the up Tevonn's offensive pressure?

I think Micah will be on the court at the same as Bakari & Max at certain points this season, when Tevonn is getting a rest at SG. I think Golder will also be playing the that swing player role.

This team isn't that experienced but its still deep. We haven't had this kind of depth since the 2015-2016 team. The only difference was that team had a ton of experience on the bench, these guys not so much. There will be growing pains with this group.

Tevonn looked REALLY good in that first game. I didn't see the 2nd game but it sounds like he was scoring with ease against CSU. If Coach Lottich really wanted to run CSU out their own gym he probably could have left the starters in longer but with these exhibitions he was getting everyone in the game to probably experiment how certain players mix and match together. At one point Walker scored nine straight points in 1 minute and 30 secs and finished with a game high of 15 points and 10 rebounds.

Things that need to be cleaned is the turnovers and free throw shooting with this team. I'd also like to see the young players develop better shot selection but that going to happen and they'll get better with more experience and once everyone discovers their role.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on November 05, 2017, 01:08:25 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on November 05, 2017, 12:20:06 PM

I think Micah will be on the court at the same as Bakari & Max at certain points this season, when Tevonn is getting a rest at SG. I think Golder will also be playing the that swing player role.

This team isn't that experienced but its still deep. We haven't had this kind of depth since the 2015-2016 team. The only difference was that team had a ton of experience on the bench, these guys not so much. There will be growing pains with this group.

Tevonn looked REALLY good in that first game. I didn't see the 2nd game but it sounds like he was scoring with ease against CSU. If Coach Lottich really wanted to run CSU out their own gym he probably could have left the starters in longer but with these exhibitions he was getting everyone in the game to probably experiment how certain players mix and match together. At one point Walker scored nine straight points in 1 minute and 30 secs and finished with a game high of 15 points and 10 rebounds.

Things that need to be cleaned is the turnovers and free throw shooting with this team. I'd also like to see the young players develop better shot selection but that going to happen and they'll get better with more experience and once everyone discovers their role.

Solid points but Tevonn shot poorly by the numbers, something like 6/16 FG.  2/5 three pointers.  So that means his 2-point FG was around 4/11.  He undoubtedly defended like a champ and rebounded big time.

Did CSU defend him well or was there a lid on the basket in the first half before the 9 pt run in the 2nd?

bbtds

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 05, 2017, 02:11:50 PMDid CSU defend him well or was there a lid on the basket in the first half before the 9 pt run in the 2nd?

If I remember correctly we missed a lot of close in shots, but because we greatly out rebounded CSU, Valpo was able to get those points on second and third attempts.

VU2014

https://twitter.com/MattGlenesk/status/927696176379437056

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/basketball/2017/11/06/rocky-ground-well-valparaiso-basketball-still-valparaiso-basketball/837001001/

On rocky ground? Well, Valparaiso basketball is still Valparaiso basketball
By: Matthew VanTryon, matthew.vantryon@indystar.com
Published Nov. 6, 2017

On the surface, the Valparaiso basketball program looks to be on rocky ground this season.

Gone is Alec Peters, the reigning Horizon League Player of the Year who averaged 23 points and 10.1 rebounds last season before being drafted by the Phoenix Suns.

Gone is Shane Hammink, who averaged 15.1 points.

Gone is the Horizon League, where the Crusaders departed having won five of the last six regular season titles and averaged 24 wins over the past seven seasons.

What's left? Well, Valpo is still Valpo. And that goes a long way.

"There's an expectation to win around here. We don't shy away from it," Crusaders coach Matt Lottich said.......

(Give the rest a click & a read)