• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Arch Madness 2017-18

Started by VU2014, August 18, 2017, 04:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

We had our chances down the stretch.  How the F does Evelyn go 0/3 from the line in clutch time like that??  Why did we jack up 3-3 pointers on that 1 key possession, when only down 3 with 1:30 left?

I see some promise, but who becomes our primary scorer next season?  Who leaves?  Smits showed some progress on offense, but his defense and rebounding won't get him to a P5, if he decides to leave.  Hopefully none of our key players. 

Thanks for the memories Tevonn and Max...onwards and upwards for our program next season!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Not the outcome we wanted but I thought our guys fought hard tonight. If a few breaks went our way maybe momentum sways our way in this game.

valpopal

Lottich was passive in his reaction to the officials' horrible call of a flagrant foul on McMillan during a crucial part of the game, when it was obvious Mileek was upset by the bogus call; but given a second chance by Paul during the news conference to have McMillan's back, Lottich instead says: "I guess Mileek was being physical...." I'm sorry, Lottich has to be more forceful in standing up for his players.   ???

nkvu

I have mixed emotions concerning coach Lottich this year. Part of me wants to say his strategy is to not show up the referees this first year in conference in order to build good will for the future. Take the first year hazing in hopes of cashing in later. The other part of me wants to slap him upside his head and say "grow some balls and defend your players when they get jobbed"!  Getting a T is not the end of the world. Heck, even Homer, the nicest guy anyone will ever know got an occasional T. 

Now I can't see what coach does on the sidelines as the tv camera is not on him all the time. Maybe he is more demonstative than what comes through the tv. But my sense is if you don't stand up for yourself and your players you are gonna get run over.  Maybe living in the Cincinnati area for a long time and watching the Xavier and UC coaches over the years have given me a more jaded sense of what a successful college coach's demeanor should be. But the success of those programs speak for themselves. I watch Mick Cronin on the sidelines of games and I got to say that little dude looks like he could chew nails and spit them through you. He looks like a bulldog that thinks someone is going to steal his food. Our coach could use a little of that.

I'm willing to give coach a pass this year, but I am concerned that next year if he isn't willing to show he has his players backs the program could be in trouble.

FWalum

Quote from: nkvu on March 02, 2018, 01:33:33 AMI have mixed emotions concerning coach Lottich this year. Part of me wants to say his strategy is to not show up the referees this first year in conference in order to build good will for the future. Take the first year hazing in hopes of cashing in later. The other part of me wants to slap him upside his head and say "grow some balls and defend your players when they get jobbed"!  Getting a T is not the end of the world. Heck, even Homer, the nicest guy anyone will ever know got an occasional T.

I think a lot of this can be attributed to both Matt's lack of experience and the conference change, as you said. The other thing, as I watch this on replay, is that at the time of the press conference I doubt Matt has seen a slo-mo replay of the play. The positioning of the players in relationship to the benches probably made Johnson's acting more believable. The reverse angle that we saw on video really showed how egregious that call was. I am sure that Matt and Mark will be talking to the league about the call that really changed the complection of the game. It was HUGE getting that stop with the possibility of being down only 4 or 3 and then instead being down 11. How that sequence changed the game can not be understated. I am almost surprised with how demoralizing that must have been, that we had the character and will to stay in the game.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

SanityLost17

As far as the McMillan play goes.   He probably fouled Johnson 4 or 5 times on that play and should have been called for a foul earlier in the possession.  However, there was no flagrant foul.  Should have been a common foul.   McMillan had his hands all over him.   

So they may have still come out of that possession with 2 points instead of 5.  Couple that with the 3 missed free throws and we had a chance to make something happen. 

bigmosmithfan1

If the three missed FTs by Bakari weren't a perfect encapsulation of the entire season, I don't know what is.

Too weak on the glass, like the rest of the season. Bad rotations and matchups allowing wide open looks from the perimeter. Pillow soft play from our bigs. Tevonn and Golder trying to will us to victory but ultimately falling short.

We are now a last-place team playing in a subpar, barely-Division I-caliber facility. Our AD better have a plan in place if this ship doesn't get righted quickly. Save "the future is bright" happy talk. The future was stunningly bright our final two years in the HL and we did absolutely nothing with that momentum.

vu72

Quote from: SanityLost17 on March 02, 2018, 09:37:08 AM
As far as the McMillan play goes.   He probably fouled Johnson 4 or 5 times on that play and should have been called for a foul earlier in the possession.  However, there was no flagrant foul.  Should have been a common foul.   McMillan had his hands all over him.   

So they may have still come out of that possession with 2 points instead of 5.  Couple that with the 3 missed free throws and we had a chance to make something happen. 

Hey!  What do you expect from McMillan?  We got a solid six minutes from him, only 2 turnovers, zero points, zero rebounds and only 4 fouls!  Seriously, we will have to play Ryan at the 4.  He will be an Alec Peters type 4 with the size and athleticism to keep up with the smaller quicker 4's in the Valley.  If we play him at the 3 we will get the same result next year with continued problems defending the 4.  Fortunately Johnson will be gone. The guy averaged 19 points and 16 rebounds against us over 3 games. That is the definition of eating your lunch.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

I'll only point out one thing. Nobody doubted that MoSt could beat Valpo 3 times in a year because beating a team for the third time is harder. Absolutely nobody was thinking that.

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on March 02, 2018, 10:37:40 AM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on March 02, 2018, 09:37:08 AM

Hey!  What do you expect from McMillan?  We got a solid six minutes from him, only 2 turnovers, zero points, zero rebounds and only 4 fouls!  Seriously, we will have to play Ryan at the 4.  He will be an Alec Peters type 4 with the size and athleticism to keep up with the smaller quicker 4's in the Valley.  If we play him at the 3 we will get the same result next year with continued problems defending the 4.  Fortunately Johnson will be gone. The guy averaged 19 points and 16 rebounds against us over 3 games. That is the definition of eating your lunch.

Fazekas and Peters are two different players. They both are 6-8 white guys who can shoot the lights out of the ball but Peters frame allowed him to be a bit more versatile and live inside and fight for rebounds. I think we're going to see Ryan live more on the perimeter and be used in the pick and pop situations. I think positionally where he plays will be situational. They aren't exact comps and we shouldn't expect the same results.

valpopal

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on March 02, 2018, 10:33:00 AM
We are now a last-place team playing in a subpar, barely-Division I-caliber facility. Our AD better have a plan in place if this ship doesn't get righted quickly. Save "the future is bright" happy talk. The future was stunningly bright our final two years in the HL and we did absolutely nothing with that momentum.

When Valpo entered the MVC last year, I commented that you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. I remarked that VU had squandered the favorable opening available after the Sweet 16 run, and you don't get many opportunities for a do-over. Therefore, it was necessary for Valparaiso University to take extra steps that would create a special initial year in the new conference.

The administration needed to make cosmetic changes to the ARC, beyond the change of conference logo on the court, that would signal a new beginning. To give fans a sense of excitement, the game day experience—including half-time entertainment—needed to be elevated and widespread promotion of the move to the MVC needed to be a priority. With the expected down year on the court after the graduation of Peters, it was even more important to establish game day as an entertaining event, especially for families and younger fans. The university needed to involve student organizations and make the student section a center for game day excitement. The pa sound system, parking, and concession conditions needed immediate improvement. The university had to start specifying long-term plans, perhaps with graphic models, for renovation to the ARC that alumni could observe as concrete commitment to future development and be willing to offer donations.

Unfortunately, none of this happened. Instead, this season saw disappointing results on and off the court, and the spark that should come with a new beginning in a more prominent conference, which would establish momentum going into next year and beyond, never materialized. As I warned nearly a year ago might happen, Valpo repeated history by squandering another opportunity.   

VU2014

Quote from: valpopal on March 02, 2018, 11:16:25 AM
When Valpo entered the MVC last year, I commented that you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. I remarked that VU had squandered the favorable opening available after the Sweet 16 run, and you don't get many opportunities for a do-over. Therefore, it was necessary for Valparaiso University to take extra steps that would create a special initial year in the new conference.

Yes the University has a M.O. of squandering opportunities.

Quote from: valpopal on March 02, 2018, 11:16:25 AM
The administration needed to make cosmetic changes to the ARC, beyond the change of conference logo on the court, that would signal a new beginning. To give fans a sense of excitement, the game day experience—including half-time entertainment—needed to be elevated and widespread promotion of the move to the MVC needed to be a priority. With the expected down year on the court after the graduation of Peters, it was even more important to establish game day as an entertaining event, especially for families and younger fans. The university needed to involve student organizations and make the student section a center for game day excitement. The pa sound system, parking, and concession conditions needed immediate improvement. The university had to start specifying long-term plans, perhaps with graphic models, for renovation to the ARC that alumni could observe as concrete commitment to future development and be willing to offer donations. 

During ML's USH episode he made it pretty clear that the ARC is not the priority as frustrating as that may sound for us fans. The 1st step is finding donor(s) for the Student Rec Center which is badly needed for both the student body, recruiting potential new students, and to get rec sports/intramurals out of the ARC and dedicate it solely to Athletics.

It wouldn't make much sense to make cosmetic changes without having a plan in place to renovate the ARC first. If we ever do get a renovation of the ARC it's going to get gutted and those temporary cosmetic changes would be $ lost. It would also just be putting lipstick a pig. I think the University could fix the parking situation and PA system over the course of one offseason if it were an actual priority for the University (it doesn't appear it is as of right now.).

It would be nice if the University developed some sort of Long-term plan or graphic models but that seems out of the question till there is a very wealthy alumni willing to pledge tens of millions of dollars to renovate the ARC. The donor would have to want it to go to that specific cause because it sounds like the University isn't pushing for any donors to do that. Loyola had a single donor donate $14 million for a practice facility and it was the same guy who was the lead donor for renovating the Gentile Center. It would be tough for Valpo Athletics to crowd fund that kind of money together.

I've also heard that individuals in the Athletics Department wanted to fundraise off the initial excitement of moving to the MVC but the idea kept getting shot down from higher ups in the University Administration.

agibson

Quote from: VU2014 on March 02, 2018, 12:06:31 PMI've also heard that individuals in the Athletics Department wanted to fundraise off the initial excitement of moving to the MVC but the idea kept getting shot down from higher ups in the University Administration.

I suppose you could argue that fundraising for a Rec Center or an ARC upgrade etc. would be a little at odds with the endowment-focused fundraising campaign currently underway.

The gift that we saw for an endowed recruiting budget are maybe more in the character of the campaign.

But, it can't exclude individuals coming forward on their own with ideas and money.

talksalot

a3uge

From some of these comments, you'd think Valpo lost by about 30 to a team that wasn't right now favored by 2.5 over the 2-seed in the MVC.

VULB#62

crusadermoe

I griped a lot about fans this year.

Smits just befuddlea.me, but I have zero complaints about the effort and drive of our players....especially our two seniors.  Glad to see Tevonn go out with a bang.

Did anyone else notice that J seems to cone alive on offense to get open for Bradford  bounce passes..  Interesting.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 02, 2018, 11:03:21 PM
I griped a lot about fans this year.

Smits just befuddlea.me, but I have zero complaints about the effort and drive of our players....especially our two seniors.  Glad to see Tevonn go out with a bang.

Did anyone else notice that J seems to cone alive on offense to get open for Bradford  bounce passes..  Interesting.

Sadly I don't think that Bakari is a true PG.  He clearly has ball handling skills, but he's more effective at the two guard.  He doesn't penetrate the lane until late in games when he must to get us out of a scoring drought. 

Micah immediately penetrates and dishes.  This is why we need Micah to stay OR our Manitoba Express incoming PG to be similarly gifted.  Otherwise we are relegated to swinging passes around the perimeter in which our C aren't good at establishing position just yet.  Derrik catches too far out and has 50-50 TO to Good Shot (on average).  Jay is just plain bad at establishing position other than to screen off his defender for the guards drive OR to pick and roll.

vu72

So did anyone on the board actually attend Arch Madness?  If so, how were the accommodations, alumni events, game experience etc?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2010

Relieved to see many people are acknowledging the issues right now that we can do something about. If we want to be The Region's team, we have to offer an experience that others want to be a part of. As season ticket holders, we try to get others to come. They often don't take us up on the offer. The players' hustle, despite the season being so much of a downer, never dropped. They deserve better. For the amount of tuition paid, don't tell me we can't afford to renovate the ARC. It's embarassing. Oh, and the handicap parking is nothing short of shameful. Don't tell me we can't afford to put on some decent half time shows. How many arenas are named after companies? Have we ever tried to do so? Get sponsors? The chair backs, for instance, are falling apart. The step from the lower bleachers to the higher sections is dangerous. The set-up with announcers and camera crews not having any space for safety is shameful. They'll film and have to lock-up the entire walkway. We need big time improvements. If other teams will end up playing there even if a facility was built, why is it wasteful spending to upgrade? It's not a D-1 facility. We're in a good league. Even in the Horizon we had one of the worst facilities. Maybe the worst? Look at Oakland... small but nice! Never once, as an alumni, have I been asked to donate for that project. Others? If you want to be the hub of the region, entertain and make it a fun place to be. I'm not trying to whine. I deeply care and want to be part of the solution. I want to be proud of this school. Matt - go and greet the fans. Shake hands. Show energy and excitement - you did as a player. We need you. You're a proven leader on the court. An intelligent man. A great example as a Christian leader. Lead us. We will follow.