• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #19 UNI at the ARC 1/19/19 3pm

Started by VUSWIM08-12, January 18, 2019, 12:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Quote from: valpolaw on January 21, 2019, 08:21:30 AMI will never get tired of watching that play work perfectly

I watched the replay on twitter... GREAT pick move under the UNI basket to allow Javon to break away from his defender.  That's why it worked. 

4throwfan

To me, one of the funnest things about "the play" is that it seems like the entire ARC knows it's coming.  I remember reading a forum thread on an opponent's fan board (I think Rhode Island) a while back, and the fans were complaining that the announcers (presumably Ickow and Huseman) knew the play was coming, yet their team seemed completely unprepared.

Since it has gotten to be such 'clockwork', might be fun if everyone in the ARC who knows it is coming to take out their cell phone to record it, or hold up some sort of sign, like the "Gritty" signs.  Might look funny on TV.

I would imagine the only time we see it run against us will, or who will be able to stop it will by Vandy. 

valpo64

I think I remember that Detroit used that play when they beat us at the ARC for the Horizon League title game...the one famous for McCallum's dunk at the buzzer when they were running out the clock.

M

Easiest way to stop thsi is to stick the guy guarding the inbounded at half court 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: M on January 21, 2019, 12:47:59 PM
Easiest way to stop thsi is to stick the guy guarding the inbounded at half court 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Absolutely, I've seen the tallest guy on the court put at half court numerous times.  How was this a big argument?  I'm confused.

wh

It's not dissimilar to football teams that stackthe box in a desperate attempt to stop a critical 3rd-and-1 or 3rd-and-goal. In turn, the QB fakes a handoff and passes to a wide open TE in the end zone. Everyone on both sides knows that play in their sleep, yet teams at every level continue to run it, sometimes successfully, sometimes not. It's high risk high reward.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 21, 2019, 01:00:16 PM

Absolutely, I've seen the tallest guy on the court put at half court numerous times.  How was this a big argument?  I'm confused.

This is the "read". If the opponent does not guard the inbounder (aka, the big guy is at half court), then the two guards up front simply have a 2-on-2 and set screens to get open.

So, teams take their chance that they can cover the deep guy and then have help near the ball. As we have seen, it rarely works.

I've used this play for many year with high school girls teams...it works just about every time with them as well.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: ValpoHoops on January 21, 2019, 05:09:53 PM

This is the "read". If the opponent does not guard the inbounder (aka, the big guy is at half court), then the two guards up front simply have a 2-on-2 and set screens to get open.

So, teams take their chance that they can cover the deep guy and then have help near the ball. As we have seen, it rarely works.

I've used this play for many year with high school girls teams...it works just about every time with them as well.

Thanks for your experience, good to know.  I suppose the next question would be what's more deadly...G having to go the whole court OR G catching a Doug Flutie Hail Mary?  Truly situational...

The answer:  Markus Golder 2/3rd court banker!!! 🤪😜😉

VU2014

We need VUSWIM08-12 to make the next game thread. I'm not testing my luck lol

VUGrad1314

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 21, 2019, 04:46:49 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on January 21, 2019, 03:58:52 PMSome clips about Saturday's game. https://twitter.com/MikeBerardino/status/1087461640633749504 https://twitter.com/MikeBerardino/status/1087461135106887680
Did we get Indy coverage like this while in the HL?

I think so. At least when we were winning but even then not quite as much as now now that Valpo stories are of interest to any Indiana State or Evansville alums in the Indy area due to our conference affiliation. I'm sure having 3 players on the team from the Indy area two of whom were fairly highly touted recruits connected to current and former NBA players doesn't hurt.

bigmosmithfan1

Great win. So glad to see us get a win against UNI (our first in 30 years! Last win vs. the Panthers was in Homer's first season at VU). In fairness, they left the old AMCU after the 1990 season, so the vast majority of the meetings occurred when we were terrible, but even then, there were several two and three-point losses to UNI. I remember back then that we simply could not get a 50/50 game to go our way against them, no matter what we seemed to do.

The lone gripe of the day: someone please fix that damn scorer's table ribbon board -- I mean, turn the thing off and reset it at halftime rather than let it flicker like that for the whole game. *Insanely* distracting and uncomfortable on the eyes for the viewer at home. I'm sure some casual viewers turned out over that.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteDid we get Indy coverage like this while in the HL?

I think so. At least when we were winning but even then not quite as much as now now that Valpo stories are of interest to any Indiana State or Evansville alums in the Indy area due to our conference affiliation. I'm sure having 3 players on the team from the Indy area two of whom were fairly highly touted recruits connected to current and former NBA players doesn't hurt.

We definitely got that sort of coverage in Indy back in the HL days... at least while Butler was in the league. After that, not as much.

oklahomamick

Nice win.  But we should beat uni on our home gym.

The two freshman played great.  Those were great recruits by the staff.  Golder got big shots.  Kiser also did well.  Bakari hit a needed 3 pointer.  The man of the game smits put on a show.

Now on to Indiana st.  They are skilled and it's on the road.  Will be very difficult to win a midweek away game but we will need this W if we want the top 2 seeds.

Did I just say a top two seed?  I know it's early, but Didn't think that would ever be an option at the start of conference. 
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

Quote from: valpolaw on January 21, 2019, 08:21:30 AM
I will never get tired of watching that play work perfectly!  Does anyone have an update on Ryan's ankle?  I saw he was still in a boot Saturday. 

I've heard he truly is having issues with the ankle. And Trump has had no dealings with the Russians.