• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2018-19 VU Schedule

Started by VU2014, November 07, 2017, 08:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: Chairback on July 28, 2018, 09:31:14 AM

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 27, 2018, 02:22:27 PMAgain if Illinois State can get Ole Miss FGCU VCU BYU etc. If Loyola and even UIC can get St Joseph's If UNI can get Xavier and others If Indiana State can get Butler then why can't Valpo?

Have you seen our "Gym".  Why would any top 150 want to come and play in a high school gym.  It's a big problem that never gets addressed.  These next two years are critical ( both facilities and team performance ) for the program and being successful moving forward. 

And you have the chance to move the whole process along with helping fund the improvements to the ARC starting with the AC for the ARC fund. Now is the time more than ever.

See address in my signature.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 27, 2018, 02:22:27 PMAgain if Illinois State can get Ole Miss FGCU VCU BYU etc. If Loyola and even UIC can get St Joseph's If UNI can get Xavier and others If Indiana State can get Butler then why can't Valpo?
Have you seen our "Gym".  Why would any top 150 want to come and play in a high school gym.  It's a big problem that never gets addressed.  These next two years are critical ( both facilities and team performance ) for the program and being successful moving forward.

I don't know. Why did Rhode Island Creighton and Nevada all want to go to St Mary's and their high school gym?

VUGrad1314

Quote from: historyman on July 28, 2018, 09:37:15 AM
And you have the chance to move the whole process along with helping fund the improvements to the ARC starting with the AC for the ARC fund. Now is the time more than ever. See address in my signature.

How is the campaign going by the way?

historyman

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 28, 2018, 09:45:01 AM

I don't know. Why did Rhode Island Creighton and Nevada all want to go to St Mary's and their high school gym?

I think that mostly has to do with St Mary's success and scarcity of good teams to play while on the west coast.

Here are the details about McKeon Pavilion that mostly back up your claim that it is a high school gym.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKeon_Pavilion
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 28, 2018, 09:47:53 AM
Quote from: historyman on July 28, 2018, 09:37:15 AM
And you have the chance to move the whole process along with helping fund the improvements to the ARC starting with the AC for the ARC fund. Now is the time more than ever. See address in my signature.

How is the campaign going by the way?

Like a lot of people Kris Sanders was on vacation last week (7/16 through 7/20) and I let her get caught up this past week. I'm planning on catching up with her this next week (7/30 through 8/3).

VUGrad1314

Quote from: historyman on July 28, 2018, 09:56:41 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 28, 2018, 09:45:01 AM
I think that mostly has to do with St Mary's success and scarcity of good teams to play while on the west coast. Here are the details about McKeon Pavilion that mostly back up your claim that it is a high school gym. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKeon_Pavilion

That gym's a joke. The ARC looks amazing as it is right now compared to that.

VUGrad1314

Congratulations to him on getting a new gig and all, but this probably means we'll keep wasting crucial nonconference slots playing this non-D1 team doesn't it?

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1023746777562767360

VULB#62

If there is gonna be a game for old time sakes, just make it an exhibition, period.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on July 27, 2018, 01:03:31 PM
The schedule has probably been done for a while. VU is always one of the last to announce.

Smart ploy.  Announcing the schedule during the summer while students aren't on campus takes away some of the buzz.  Also, the new marketing company might have new ideas on how to create more interest ... maybe releasing game by game on Twitter or using Facebook Live.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: EddieCabot on July 30, 2018, 11:43:41 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on July 27, 2018, 01:03:31 PMThe schedule has probably been done for a while. VU is always one of the last to announce.
Smart ploy.  Announcing the schedule during the summer while students aren't on campus takes away some of the buzz.  Also, the new marketing company might have new ideas on how to create more interest ... maybe releasing game by game on Twitter or using Facebook Live.

Let's start with a commitment to better nonconference games both home and away.

crusadermoe

Yeah, ideally we get BOTH steak AND sizzle in the new schedule release. 

Hate to start harping already on student attendance, but student leadership and numbers is a much bigger factor in home court advantage than a new gym or better opponents.

Just REALLY wanting to be proven wrong this year in our conference games and in our best pre-conference ones.   

VUGrad1314

Ball State (who I presume is on the schedule this year) makes the top 144 list at #96. They look like a very dangerous team.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16463

bigmosmithfan1

If healthy, BSU should be VERY good. Return everyone (except Sean Sellers) from a 19-win team that beat ND in South Bend. Adds two SEC transfers (Arkansas and Missouri) plus a 6-11 freshman who redshirted last year. Will be a year removed from dealing with the death of a teammate. They were on pace to go to the tourney last year until some late-season attrition caused them to fade at the end (two guys got suspended during conference play, plus a fifth-year senior who was one of the school's all-time leaders in 3-pt FG percentage contracted a case of the yips and basically could only be used a few minutes per game on defense for the last month of the season). BSU basically finished the season with a 7-man rotation, one of whom was a walk-on.

VU2014

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on August 06, 2018, 09:09:56 AM
If healthy, BSU should be VERY good. Return everyone (except Sean Sellers) from a 19-win team that beat ND in South Bend. Adds two SEC transfers (Arkansas and Missouri) plus a 6-11 freshman who redshirted last year. Will be a year removed from dealing with the death of a teammate. They were on pace to go to the tourney last year until some late-season attrition caused them to fade at the end (two guys got suspended during conference play, plus a fifth-year senior who was one of the school's all-time leaders in 3-pt FG percentage contracted a case of the yips and basically could only be used a few minutes per game on defense for the last month of the season). BSU basically finished the season with a 7-man rotation, one of whom was a walk-on.

I think we absolutely can beat these guys. I thought last years team could beat them and we nearly did. If Tevonn Walker played in that game I can guarantee you Persons wouldn't go off like he did that game and we win that game.

It should be a great and competitive game at the ARC this season.

VUGrad1314

Why is there still no schedule news?

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 09, 2018, 11:23:38 PM
Why is there still no schedule news?

We're always one of the last to announce. It will probably get release sometime in the next few weeks. The schedule didn't get released till August 29 last year.

VUGrad1314

Do you think we're going to be happy with what we hear or have we pretty much heard all the big stories?

crusadermoe

Is the MVC schedule set?    I didn't find on their website.

If not, do we have puzzle pieces from individual schools who have made any dates known?

EddieCabot

Game at GW on December 8 made official.

VU2014

It makes sense to give GW the first home game in this situation. We need to set ourselves up for the 2019-20 season. Hopefully GW will be stronger next season. GW is predicted to be one of the weaker A10 programs this upcoming season.

VUGrad1314

Still a solid enough series. I'm fine with this. If every game is at least that good we'll be fine.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 13, 2018, 04:45:30 PM
Still a solid enough series. I'm fine with this. If every game is at least that good we'll be fine.

Unfortunately we'll be having a few non-d1s on the schedule this season. I don't see those going away anytime soon.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on August 13, 2018, 05:31:32 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 13, 2018, 04:45:30 PM

Unfortunately we'll be having a few non-d1s on the schedule this season. I don't see those going away anytime soon.

A FEW?!!! They'd better be exhibitions. You can't schedule multiple non-D1s and schools like UC-Riverside and SIU-Edwardsville and then complain about declining attendance numbers. This was a year to start loading up in preparation for next year and it's the same crap. If and when the MVC gets multiple bids this coming year they're going to be really sorry they went soft again and put their eggs in the Arch Madness basket. Illinois State got it done UNI gets it done routinely, Missouri State, SIU, and  Evansville are getting the message and here we are doing the same thing we've always done. If we miss out on the tournament again in the future  because of this "it doesn't hurt our RPI," and "its what we've always done." horse crap I know I won't be the only fan upset. Only this time, it won't be at the committee because it will show that we haven't learned anything and the drumbeat of "buyer's remorse" and "we should have added Murray State instead" will only get louder among the other fanbases in this conference. The old way wasn't working. That's why we joined the MVC in the first place. Now, the scheduling needs to evolve too if we really want to move forward and consistently contend. Our coaches and athletic department do such a good job on everything else, so in some respects I'm sorry for this rant; and I know it's hard, but for God's sake if  Illinois State can do it so can we. It's just going to take a little extra hard work.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on August 13, 2018, 03:52:14 PM
It makes sense to give GW the first home game in this situation. We need to set ourselves up for the 2019-20 season. Hopefully GW will be stronger next season. GW is predicted to be one of the weaker A10 programs this upcoming season.

Lot of things need to go right for that home game to be worthwhile.  Biggest things are their 3 eligible transfers need to pan out and they need to develop their younger guys (who for the most part weren't even average offensively last year).

VUGrad1314

Ball State being the highlight of the nonconference home slate would be a huge disappointment.

EMU has put out a public call for games

I've seen similar from Murray State VCU and others.

MAC schools are in home and homes with HL schools

Good teams in the WCC and WAC need to fill empty spots

St Joseph's has been and will be in Chicago

And our answer is to schedule multiple non-D1s and then call out the students for low attendance.

I think we need to start with more aggressive scheduling and go from there.