• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2018-19 VU Schedule

Started by VU2014, November 07, 2017, 08:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Last year, our out of conference home schedule was poor and the average attendance for those games was a disappointing 2617, despite a team that went undefeated through the period, not suffering their first loss until they visited Purdue on 12/7. Anyone want to bet on over/under for this year's out of conference home game attendance? I will be surprised if it isn't "under"!

VU2014

Quote from: valpopal on August 22, 2018, 03:01:41 PM
Last year, our out of conference home schedule was poor and the average attendance for those games was a disappointing 2617, despite a team that went undefeated through the period, not suffering their first loss until they visited Purdue on 12/7. Anyone want to bet on over/under for this year's out of conference home game attendance? I will be surprised if it isn't "under"!

Non-Conference Home Attendance Over/Under 2250

UNDER

vu84v2

Quote from: mj on August 22, 2018, 12:23:24 PM
I'd rather see Valpo play on the road two more times than play Concordia and Purdue Northwest during the regular season.

It seems like Valpo and other similar situated mid-majors should try and schedule games with each other, rather than filling the schedule up with garbage. Or has that been tried before?

To some degree, this has been tried (e.g., the MWC-MVC challenge). I agree that much more of it is a good idea.

I will make another suggestion that might be contrary to others' views. If Valparaiso is completely incapable of putting together a home schedule that is even marginally acceptable (as has happened the last two years), then Valparaiso needs to try to build a strong consensus to expand the MVC immediately. Get the best two schools that you can out of Murray State, Belmont, South Dakota State, Milwaukee, etc. If the conference played a complete round robin, this would add two acceptable or better opponents that would hopefully replace two completely unacceptable opponents. Play the additional conference games in the first two weeks of December when students are in session.

vu84v2

Quote from: VU2014 on August 22, 2018, 03:10:26 PM
Quote from: valpopal on August 22, 2018, 03:01:41 PM

Non-Conference Home Attendance Over/Under 2250

UNDER

Under. In fact, under 2000

What is a real shame is that Valparaiso will have a team that can generate excitement with the student body and in the community. Fazekas is eligible and Freeman-Liberty, by many accounts, is an exciting player with a lot of potential. Add to that some promising players who seemed to figure things out during the latter part of last season and you have got something to sell and promote. But the home schedule basically says, "don't bother until the MVC season in January". i don't live in Valparaiso, but despite being a big fan I would likely just buy tickets for the MVC games if I lived in Valparaiso. The casual fan, whom you need to get attendance where you want it, will very likely not buy tickets before the MVC season and may never become interested (let alone excited).

mp91

I think everyone is over exaggerating a little. Everyone here seems to be taking a "fan" perspective (which I understand), but from a team/University perspective this is a pretty solid schedule. Obviously, not having great home game is disappointing for fans. But, the strength of schedule overall is pretty solid, teams like George Washington and Ball State besides West Virginia and Texas A&M are nice contributions. Sure, a couple of cupcakes but this is more a matter of circumstance than wish. Furthermore, with such a young roster overall, playing a large amount of away games in hostile environments or neutral courts will certainly benefit the team during the conference schedule. Similarly, the ultimate aim is postseason. Any postseason requires success on neutral and away games. So, this experience really could be crucial moving forward.

Again, absolutely, yes, I agree, the lack of home games is disappointing for us fans. But let's take a minute and think about the overall plus/minuses of the schedule before we go throwing around terms like "simply unacceptable." There are definitely quite a few benefits with the schedule to the health of the team, even if it means the fans sacrifice.

bbtds

The administration has been clear on what it thinks of the scheduling of recent years.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmuABI0HDpE/

vu84v2

From the basketball program's announcement on the schedule:

The Missouri Valley Conference will be announced by the conference office next month. Including the conference schedule, Valpo will play at least nine games this season against top-100 RPI teams from last year, including three at home, and 18 against top-150 RPI teams, including seven at home, versus just two years ago, when Valpo played just four top-100 opponents from the previous year and only 11 games against top-150 opponents, including just three at home.

Comment: All three top-100 RPI teams at home are from the MVC and all seven top-150 RPI teams at home are from the MVC. These were a given! Frankly, the comparison to two years ago is nauseating spin. You get credit for moving to the MVC, but you cannot use it as justification for an awful non-conference home schedule. The activities related to non-conference scheduling are unrelated.

vu84v2

Quote from: mp91 on August 22, 2018, 03:30:03 PM
I think everyone is over exaggerating a little. Everyone here seems to be taking a "fan" perspective (which I understand), but from a team/University perspective this is a pretty solid schedule. Obviously, not having great home game is disappointing for fans. But, the strength of schedule overall is pretty solid, teams like George Washington and Ball State besides West Virginia and Texas A&M are nice contributions. Sure, a couple of cupcakes but this is more a matter of circumstance than wish. Furthermore, with such a young roster overall, playing a large amount of away games in hostile environments or neutral courts will certainly benefit the team during the conference schedule. Similarly, the ultimate aim is postseason. Any postseason requires success on neutral and away games. So, this experience really could be crucial moving forward.

Again, absolutely, yes, I agree, the lack of home games is disappointing for us fans. But let's take a minute and think about the overall plus/minuses of the schedule before we go throwing around terms like "simply unacceptable." There are definitely quite a few benefits with the schedule to the health of the team, even if it means the fans sacrifice.

Why should anyone go see this team play three teams in the bottom 20% of college basketball and two teams not even in Division 1? How does this home non-conference schedule increase (or even sustain) fan interest? And remember, this is now two years in a row with an awful non-conference home schedule (and this one is worse than last year).

mp91

Quote from: vu84v2 on August 22, 2018, 03:45:40 PM

Why should anyone go see this team play three teams in the bottom 20% of college basketball and two teams not even in Division 1? How does this home non-conference schedule increase (or even sustain) fan interest? And remember, this is now two years in a row with an awful non-conference home schedule (and this one is worse than last year).

You're completely correct. From a fan perspective and student interest perspective, the schedule is very disappointing. I am just saying from my basketball perspective, it's not so bad. Just from a basketball perspective. Yes, bigger opponents will provide bigger crowds. But, from someone who worked with the athletic department and marketing department, I can tell you that this is much easier said than done. Similarly, from a student crowd angle, there are much larger pandemic problems than scheduling great opponents. so, yes, your point is completely accurate. It's just one of many problems. But from a basketball perspective, the schedule is not that bad. Plus, say they beat West Virginia, the crowds will be there during the conference schedule.

78crusader

If we have to schedule a couple of non-DIs, why not go for a school that at least has a historical connection to VU, one that we have played over the years?  DePauw or Wabash come to mind.  Wheaton.  Luther.  Hope.  Washington of St. Louis.  Wittenberg.  Denison.  If I lived close to VU, I'd at least be *tempted* to go to one of those games. 

Paul

VUBBFan

On a positive note we were able to get a pretty decent away game schedule this year to set up for next year (fingers crossed). Next year we're supposed to get Vandy at the ARC (it'll really be big for Valpo) George Washington as a return H-H and I believe if there still is the MWC-MVC challenge it would be a home game for us. So if we concentrated on just getting one more Quality opponent that would be a good home schedule. Sometimes you have to really get way down  to get back up. I just don't want to stay down tho. Here's hoping we're just setting up for next year.

vu84v2

There was an academic study done a number of years ago that considered a university similar to Valparaiso and examined what factors drive attendance by students and non-students at college basketball games. There were two overwhelming factors that influence attendance: 1. Perceived quality of the team, 2. Perceived quality of the opponents. Everything else (concessions, giveaways, music in the stadium, etc.) had little or no impact. So your argument of there being much larger pandemic problems than scheduling great (or even decent) opponents is very difficult to accept.

And you mentioned West Virginia. I hate West Virginia and would love to see Valpo beat them. That said, I have seen West Virginia a lot and they will mercilessly beat up an opponent that does not have two physical experienced guards on the floor that can handle the ball. I don't know who those guards are on this Valpo team. I see upsetting West Virginia as being extremely unlikely and it is possible that Valpo gets embarrassed.

vu84v2

Quote from: 78crusader on August 22, 2018, 04:13:01 PM
If we have to schedule a couple of non-DIs, why not go for a school that at least has a historical connection to VU, one that we have played over the years?  DePauw or Wabash come to mind.  Wheaton.  Luther.  Hope.  Washington of St. Louis.  Wittenberg.  Denison.  If I lived close to VU, I'd at least be *tempted* to go to one of those games. 

Paul

Valparaiso's objective is to be a consistent Top 100 Division 1 program that, in some seasons, reaches a much higher level of performance. Given that objective, it should NEVER play a non-Division 1 team (let alone two).

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: EddieCabot on August 22, 2018, 11:56:52 AM
Quote from: crusadermoe on August 22, 2018, 11:27:52 AM
Yeah the home schedule stinks.  Adding High Point and Purdue NW  is brutal.   High Point seems to be a new Low Point for us.

But did we know about Texas A&M road game? 

The road and neutral schedule is indeed impressive!!!   We get a chance to prove some things.  Looking at the glass half full, the home games give us a chance to re-group between the rugged road games.   

I wish the home schedule was better, but as the coaches and AD have pointed out, few teams are willing to play a team like Valpo in a tough environment like the ARC.  Before complaining, we need to understand that scheduling is difficult.

I'll agree here, we are in RPI purgatory until we establish our place in the MVC and routinely get Sub 80 RPI type rankings (don't care what the new metric is, insert here _______).  ARC home record is excellent BUT we are over 100 RPI and that does NOT attract home-n-homes.

As a person with a 2-hour drive, I will still mostly attend in conference games.  Especially because we almost never get weekend games of substance in OOC in the years I have followed.

P.S.  I will be paying for the ESPN+ coverage, I think someone was taking a written poll on that and I am going to subscribe.  I assume I can purchase for the months I want it on a monthly basis or whatever it takes.  I am in.

Chairback

Quote from: mp91 on August 22, 2018, 04:01:39 PMI am just saying from my basketball perspective

I think you are trying to think big picture but missing the boat greatly.  A crappy home schedule is more than a "fan perspective", it's incoming recruits, $$$ to programs, community acceptance and following, student environment and experience, current players (the players don't want to play PNW),  and I can go on and on.

I have a hard time buying it's a difficult process.  There are many successful mid majors who have quality at home schedules.  You don't have to bring Duke in but we should be able to bring in decent mid-majors.  I question if we have the right people with the right relationships making the schedules.

ValpoDad89

VU 84,you are spot on. In the very least try and get a decent Lower major team to come in. Playing Concordia and Purdue NW isn't helping the cause. And Chairback hit it. Recruits know what they're getting into playing in the MVC but if you can supplement that with a good OOC schedule and they can get exposure more the better in landing them. The admin needs to address this. I'll definitely drive the 60miles for Ball State. Maybe UC Riverside and SIUE. But High Point and the non D1 schools why bother.

That being said, upside is the road /neutral portion. Quality abounds there. Hopefully we've negotiated at least a return game with one or more of A&M, WVU or GW. That NIT run doesn't help that teams don't want to play here either and that's still fresh. They saw what happened to FSU and St. Mary's.  I know Marcus Liberty is a fan of the overall OOC schedule based on his tweet. My biggest rub is we play that gauntlet and we end with a home game against Purdue NW. Valpo needed a better tune up game leading into MVC play.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VUBBFan on August 22, 2018, 04:14:03 PM
On a positive note we were able to get a pretty decent away game schedule this year to set up for next year (fingers crossed). Next year we're supposed to get Vandy at the ARC (it'll really be big for Valpo) George Washington as a return H-H and I believe if there still is the MWC-MVC challenge it would be a home game for us. So if we concentrated on just getting one more Quality opponent that would be a good home schedule. Sometimes you have to really get way down  to get back up. I just don't want to stay down tho. Here's hoping we're just setting up for next year.

The problem with that is the expected hiatus of the MVC-MWC Challenge next year. In all likelihood we're not getting that home game. Here's a way to make up for it though: Try to get in on Loyola's H and H with St Joseph's. They'll be coming to Chicago and it's a nice connecting game for them on the way back home. If MLB is smart (and he is) He'll use his time in Myrtle Beach to talk to schools like WKU UCF CS-Fullerton St Joe's and Monmouth about starting series. You know all the ADs will be there so it's a huge opportunity to get some things done. (I'm assuming WVU and WF would be a no-go but maybe set up a trip to Wake Forest to couple with the High Point game (assuming there is a return game). Give them to first game if you must but use these tournaments to get stuff going to move to program forward. Maybe this High Point game\series will pay off if Tubby Smith lands a better job in the future.

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on August 22, 2018, 06:14:45 PM
VU 84,you are spot on. In the very least try and get a decent Lower major team to come in. Playing Concordia and Purdue NW isn't helping the cause. And Chairback hit it. Recruits know what they're getting into playing in the MVC but if you can supplement that with a good OOC schedule and they can get exposure more the better in landing them. The admin needs to address this. I'll definitely drive the 60miles for Ball State. Maybe UC Riverside and SIUE. But High Point and the non D1 schools why bother.

That being said, upside is the road /neutral portion. Quality abounds there. Hopefully we've negotiated at least a return game with one or more of A&M, WVU or GW. That NIT run doesn't help that teams don't want to play here either and that's still fresh. They saw what happened to FSU and St. Mary's.  I know Marcus Liberty is a fan of the overall OOC schedule based on his tweet. My biggest rub is we play that gauntlet and we end with a home game against Purdue NW. Valpo needed a better tune up game leading into MVC play.

I know for a fact there is a return from GW, WVU is possible because Huggins is one of a few P5 coaches who  gives mids a chance but I'll assume there's no return. The A&M game I'm sure was negotiated awhile ago as a one-off for Burton.

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on August 22, 2018, 04:32:06 PM
Quote from: 78crusader on August 22, 2018, 04:13:01 PM

Paul

Valparaiso's objective is to be a consistent Top 100 Division 1 program that, in some seasons, reaches a much higher level of performance. Given that objective, it should NEVER play a non-Division 1 team (let alone two).

Season ticket holders pay for every home game, including the exhibition game. So, in terms of entertainment value I see 7 games (not 6), of which 3 (not 2) are against non-D-1 opponents. Similarly, there are 4 opportunities for students to attend a home game in the 1st semester, of which 2 are against non D-1's. Moreover, 1 of the many complaints about last year's schedule was that there were no December home games when school was in session and the students who had been attending lost all their momentum. So, what was done to improve the situation?  The students will be able to attend a game 4 days into Dec.  :banghead:

ValpoDad89

Points well taken 13-14 and wh. I was thinking we at least had a return game against GW since we received the same against URI. Obviously WVU and A&M are P5 schools. Hopefully Huggy sees he's playing us at home and again at a neutral site will give some incentive to come here but if Valpo beats them in one or dare I say both, he may not be so inclined.

And again, 13-14, these tourneys give ADs the ability to talk and hopefully come to an agreement on offering the fan base and students some incentive to come to games in November /December. Plus it will only help us competitively. What does beating Concordia and PNW do by beating them by 20+? Other than you can work the lower half of the bench in and work on some things, nothing more than glorified exhibitions.

elephtheria47

Cant imagine the MVC is happy to add valpo who rolls out a schedule where they won't even average 2000k a game. Wondering how the fans, or the team, is supposed to get excited about the home schedule.

Hey kid, come to valpo, we're undefeated out of conference at home!

VU2014

Some positive data about the schedule. The away and home OOC are polar opposites in terms of quality.

https://twitter.com/Fieldof68Freak/status/1032299766099652608

EddieCabot

The home schedule isn't great, but there are a lot of opportunities away from home for good/great wins.  My hope is if this team gets some good wins away from home that Valpo fans will come out to support their team no matter what the quality of the opponent might be.  You either support your team or you don't.

vu72

Quote from: EddieCabot on August 22, 2018, 08:59:40 PM

The home schedule isn't great, but there are a lot of opportunities away from home for good/great wins.  My hope is if this team gets some good wins away from home that Valpo fans will come out to support their team no matter what the quality of the opponent might be.  You either support your team or you don't.

Eddie makes some good points.  Even a vaulted program like Butler has Tiffin (?), Southern Indiana (?) Presbyterian, UC-Irvine and Brown on their home schedule.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

I've had more time to think and have reached a new conclusion: Yes, this year's home games are bad, but think strategically here: If you buy season tickets now, you get right of first refusal on Vanderbilt tickets next year. Endure some bad games\ sunk costs now to beat the heavy walkup market and ensure your seat for the Vanderbilt game. May not be such a terrible tradeoff.

M

This is a solid schedule, just stinks all the bad games are at home. We will all appreciate next years Home slate even more now.