• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2018-19 VU Schedule

Started by VU2014, November 07, 2017, 08:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Quote from: valpopal on September 05, 2018, 08:34:23 PMOne main problem is that many Valpo students from various university departments or organizations participate in multiple long-distance (national and international) spring semester service trips each year that provide educational, social, charitable, or cultural benefits, which would be hindered by a one-week break. I believe a compromise solution that somehow would accommodate these projects is being sought.
Organizations such as the choirs, band and orchestra normally go on tours during that time.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Quote from: FWalum on September 05, 2018, 10:55:01 PM
Quote from: valpopal on September 05, 2018, 08:34:23 PMOne main problem is that many Valpo students from various university departments or organizations participate in multiple long-distance (national and international) spring semester service trips each year that provide educational, social, charitable, or cultural benefits, which would be hindered by a one-week break. I believe a compromise solution that somehow would accommodate these projects is being sought.
Organizations such as the choirs, band and orchestra normally go on tours during that time.

It took God 6 days to create the universe. I think the student groups can get whatever they need to get done in 7 days (9 days if you count the weekend)  ;)

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on September 05, 2018, 11:13:11 PM
https://twitter.com/ValpoAD/status/1037549115415187456

Again, we know it's hard and we sympathize; but that doean't explain or excuse a bad home slate. Why were Illinois State and SIU successful where we came up short? Why is UNI generally able to put together strong home schedules? Even Indiana State has WKU Wright State and North Texas coming to Terre Haute this year and just two years ago had a game against Butler? MVC-hopeful Murray State regularly gets Middle Tennessee and last year they got Auburn to come to Murray coming off two consecutive down years. What are they doing that we aren't? What do they have that we don't? And before you bring up the ARC, remember that Creighton Nevada and Rhode Island all offered to play a Home and Home with St. Mary's whose gym is older and not as nice as the ARC in my opinion.

may know

Saint Mary's had a projected top 25 team with ncaa tournament wins in 4 of the previous 8 years. That's why they fielded offers from Creighton, Nevada, & Rhode Island.

crusader05

Quote from: VU2014 on September 05, 2018, 11:07:24 PM
It took God 6 days to create the universe. I think the student groups can get whatever they need to get done in 7 days (9 days if you count the weekend)  ;)
Quote from: VU2014 on September 05, 2018, 11:07:24 PM

I absolutely agree. The two week break is too long and honestly, in my opinion, creates a disservice to the students. 14 days is so long to go without being in classes and then when they return they are coming back in the middle of the semester. It can be almost a shock to the system and can mess with their ability to get moving again. I'm sure it will make some break logistics harder, especially for the trips that are farther away like Israel, Thailand and China, but they are still doable.

SanityLost17

Quote from: VU2014 on September 05, 2018, 11:13:11 PM
https://twitter.com/ValpoAD/status/1037549115415187456

Hey Law School people...Hypothetical question for you..

Lets say Maryland would have said no to Loyola.   If Loyola asked every power conference school to schedule them and every team said no, would they have a case that the P5 are colluding to keep them out of the tournament and the financial gains associated with the tournament?   

Will we ever see Mid-Major teams or conference file a lawsuit against the NCAA or P5 conference for collusion?    Would they have a case?  Thoughts?

VUGrad1314

They may have a case but that is the surest way to ensure one of two things happen:

1. The NCAA digs in and sides with the P5 even more making the climate for mids even tougher or

2. The Football 5 and possibly the Big East taking their ball and going home and starting their own league

SanityLost17

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 06, 2018, 08:15:57 AM
They may have a case but that is the surest way to ensure one of two things happen:

1. The NCAA digs in and sides with the P5 even more making the climate for mids even tougher or

2. The Football 5 and possibly the Big East taking their ball and going home and starting their own league

By going to 20 game conference slates are they are basically already doing that.   20 games plus a couple tournaments and a few conference challenge games and teams habe a full schedule.  They are almost to the point they don't even need buy games anymore. 

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: SanityLost17 on September 06, 2018, 08:47:03 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 06, 2018, 08:15:57 AM

By going to 20 game conference slates are they are basically already doing that.   20 games plus a couple tournaments and a few conference challenge games and teams habe a full schedule.  They are almost to the point they don't even need buy games anymore.

Good point.  Just thinking it through, if these tournaments keep doing neutral site for 1 to 2 games and than guaranteed home games for the P5 teams in the tournament then the need for buy games is eliminated except for exhibition.

It seems like these neutral site tournaments are guaranteed 3 games (minimum) anymore and sometimes 4.  If you get into two of these neutral site tournaments a season then 8/12th of your schedule is already filled out.  Here is the difference though, I think schools are still paying these neutral site tournaments to scheduled / host games so the budget still takes a hit.  So I suppose that if state schools are in any budget crunches it really doesn't solve that problem.

IrishDawg

Quote from: SanityLost17 on September 06, 2018, 08:08:21 AM

Hey Law School people...Hypothetical question for you..

Lets say Maryland would have said no to Loyola.   If Loyola asked every power conference school to schedule them and every team said no, would they have a case that the P5 are colluding to keep them out of the tournament and the financial gains associated with the tournament?   

Will we ever see Mid-Major teams or conference file a lawsuit against the NCAA or P5 conference for collusion?    Would they have a case?  Thoughts?

I don't know how much of a case they'd have, nor do I think the NCAA or any organization wants to get involved in regulating scheduling for teams to essentially force them into scheduling teams that don't benefit the bottom line of building a tournament resume.

I would keep rooting for the committee to adopt as close to a predictive analytical approach as possible for the tourney and its selection.  That way scheduling just doesn't matter, and short of regulating scheduling is the most "fair" way to do it.  However, I think if you look on past tournaments, the number of bids for mid-majors under that approach wouldn't be vastly different than what it has been under the old methodology.

VUGrad1314

How does playing a top mid major hurt a team's overall resume? That doesn't make any sense.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 06, 2018, 10:04:30 AM
How does playing a top mid major hurt a team's overall resume? That doesn't make any sense.

If you are referencing our scheduling woes for attracting P5 home-and-homes, we are not a top mid-major presently imo.  Have not been since Alec's junior year.

I think there has been A LOT of shuffling of rules and metrics these last years in the college mbb landscape.  Let's let the dust settle and give the P6 (and ourselves) time to digest all these changes and see where it goes.

One thing is for certain, in this uncertainty the P6 are being ultra conservative in their scheduling until they see clear cut advantages to scheduling mid to top tier mid majors.  Also consider that Loyola wasn't even a mid level mid major until this last year.  And with schedules being set more than 1-year in the future for many OOC games I don't think its even remotely fair for Loyola to say WTF right now. 

Let's have them win some games next year and see where their 2019/20 OOC schedule goes from there.

The theme for 2018/19 scheduling is LET THE DUST SETTLE.

EddieCabot

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on September 06, 2018, 10:24:08 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 06, 2018, 10:04:30 AM

If you are referencing our scheduling woes for attracting P5 home-and-homes, we are not a top mid-major presently imo.  Have not been since Alec's junior year.

I think there has been A LOT of shuffling of rules and metrics these last years in the college mbb landscape.  Let's let the dust settle and give the P6 (and ourselves) time to digest all these changes and see where it goes.

One thing is for certain, in this uncertainty the P6 are being ultra conservative in their scheduling until they see clear cut advantages to scheduling mid to top tier mid majors.  Also consider that Loyola wasn't even a mid level mid major until this last year.  And with schedules being set more than 1-year in the future for many OOC games I don't think its even remotely fair for Loyola to say WTF right now. 

Let's have them win some games next year and see where their 2019/20 OOC schedule goes from there.

The theme for 2018/19 scheduling is LET THE DUST SETTLE.

This is a good point.  Moser calls Loyola "a Final Four Team".  True, but they're also a program that has missed 32 of the last 33 NCAA tournaments.  They aren't quite on Gonzaga's level yet.

VUGrad1314

Mid-major madness weighs in on Non-D1s

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/9/6/17807764/does-your-school-schedule-too-many-games-against-non-division-i-teams-chaminade-stephen-f-austin-d2

If FGCU and SFA are struggling to schedule to that degree then we really need to be scheduling them. Challenge yourself don't be afraid to take losses. How much better would a game against SFA during the Texas trip be for our schedule?

valpo64

Let the "Big Boys" have their own tourney and the Mid-Majors their own.  Also separate the polls and rankings by the Power Conferences and the Mid-Majors.  It would create some interest not only by region but perhaps on a National basis.  And of  course it would create new and more exciting schedules for the M-M schools.  Just a thought.  Remember the days when, for many years, Evansville hosted the National Finals for Div. 2 at Roberts Stadium?  In fact I remember one year when Valpo hosted the Mid-west or Great Lakes regional at Hillltop.  I believe that Concordia (then called River Forest) of Illinois was in that field also.

4throwfan

It seems that mid-major conferences need to simply play themselves in challenges like the MVC-MWC challenge.  The conferences then need to grade their schools so that the top schools from each conference then play each other.  If MVC set that up with, say 3, fellow conferences such that, for example, Loyola would get games with schools like Belmont, Nevada, BYU, and St. Mary's, then its resume (if it wins) wouldn't be half bad.  Of course, the crappy schools would get stuck playing three other crappy schools, but that's all that they would be able to schedule anyway.  If the parties are contracted to do such things, then its more likely to happen.  Sometimes you gotta pick battles that you can win.

FieldGoodie05

VUBBFan

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on September 07, 2018, 12:25:56 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on September 07, 2018, 12:23:18 PMSeason ticket renewals are here. https://twitter.com/AlBillets/status/1038114313519734785
How does the pricing compare to last year if you recall?

Bleachers $1 less, the others a few bucks less. So I guess you can say prices were reduced. lol

VUGrad1314

How does a prospective new season ticket holder go about purchasing tickets?

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 07, 2018, 12:45:29 PM

It looks they haven't totally updated the site from last seasons info but it says to call the season ticket office. They have a young alums deal that allows you to buy season tickets at a reduced price.

Young Alums: http://cdn.streamlinetechnologies.com/valpoathletics/54FB8991-F303-4A4F-A19D-307D5827FF54/2017-18_MBB_Season_Tix_Poster.pdf

Quote"Season tickets include all home games during the 2017-18 season and are on sale now.  To purchase, contact the Valpo ticket office at 219-464-5233 or visit the ticket office (open Monday-Friday, 10a-4p), located in the main lobby of the ARC."

http://www.valpoathletics.com/tickets/mbasketball/

VUBBFan

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 07, 2018, 12:45:29 PMHow does a prospective new season ticket holder go about purchasing tickets?
You can contact the Valpo ticket office at 219-464-5233. Also go to valpoathletics.com/tickets The site is not updated for this year yet, but should be soon. If you have specific questions you can contact Erica Fedornock the Ticket Operations Manager 219-464-6113. She is very nice and helpful in answering any questions. When the website is updated I'm sure there will be some mini game packages

jsher3141

Quote from: VU2014 on September 07, 2018, 01:05:09 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 07, 2018, 12:45:29 PM

It looks they haven't totally updated the site from last seasons info but it says to call the season ticket office. They have a young alums deal that allows you to buy season tickets at a reduced price.

Young Alums: http://cdn.streamlinetechnologies.com/valpoathletics/54FB8991-F303-4A4F-A19D-307D5827FF54/2017-18_MBB_Season_Tix_Poster.pdf

Quote"Season tickets include all home games during the 2017-18 season and are on sale now.  To purchase, contact the Valpo ticket office at 219-464-5233 or visit the ticket office (open Monday-Friday, 10a-4p), located in the main lobby of the ARC."

http://www.valpoathletics.com/tickets/mbasketball/

The "Young Alum" option does not appear on the season ticket form this year. It was previously listed as "Valpo Faculty/Staff/Young Alum" with a spot for graduation year. Now it's just "Faculty/Staff"

I'm going to call on Monday to confirm, but if this is no longer offered, I'm going to be pretty disappointed. Not so much for myself, but for the fact that the discount showed an effort to keep recent grads invested in Valpo Basketball, and the University for that matter.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

EddieCabot

Quote from: VUBBFan on September 07, 2018, 01:11:51 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on September 07, 2018, 12:45:29 PMHow does a prospective new season ticket holder go about purchasing tickets?
You can contact the Valpo ticket office at 219-464-5233. Also go to valpoathletics.com/tickets The site is not updated for this year yet, but should be soon. If you have specific questions you can contact Erica Fedornock the Ticket Operations Manager 219-464-6113. She is very nice and helpful in answering any questions. When the website is updated I'm sure there will be some mini game packages

By following links, I found that 3 mini-game packs will be available and go on sale October 10th.