• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #9 - Purdue @ Mackey Arena Thursday, Dec 7

Started by talksalot, November 29, 2017, 09:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Anyone want to take any guesses as to the starting lineup? Sorolla and Smits for size? Linssen for rebounding toughness and motor? Burton for scoring punch? Golder/Walker/Evelyn for perimeter defense? So many combinations I'm sure we'll find one that works I just hope we do so in time to give ourselves a chance to win this

VU2014

Valpo starting line up:
PG—Bakari Evelyn
SG—Tevonn Walker
SF—Joe Burton
PF—Parker Hazen
C—Jaume Sorolla

The biggest question mark is who Coach will use at PF. I'm worried about Smits, Sorolla, Hazen, Mileek and Linssen all getting into foul trouble tonight. Well to be fair I'm worried about everyone getting into foul trouble.

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on December 07, 2017, 10:34:30 AM
Valpo starting line up:
PG—Bakari Evelyn
SG—Tevonn Walker
SF—Joe Burton
PF—Parker Hazen
C—Jaume Sorolla

The biggest question mark is who Coach will use at PF. I'm worried about Smits, Sorolla, Hazen, Mileek and Linssen all getting into foul trouble tonight. Well to be fair I'm worried about everyone getting into foul trouble.

To be sure, particularly on a BIG floor.  At the same time our depth will serve us well.  Three deep at the 5 and multiple options at all positions.  We will have to double the post.  It will be a huge challenge.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpolaw

Others have said it already, but I think tonight will be a big let down like many other big games Valpo has had in the past.  I think we will get exposed in the post and see Purdue's bigs have their way with our bigs.  This will lead to foul trouble and many free throws for Purdue never allowing us to get in the game.  Hope I'm wrong but this is what I'm expecting.     

VUGrad1314

What if we focus on limiting their looks from the perimeter? That way they have to rely on their bogs where we can at least match their size a little.

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on December 07, 2017, 06:01:31 AMLocal Comcast in Valpo has the game at 5:30 on channel 237 FS1.

It must depend on your flavor of Valpo Comcast. For me FS1 is in the 400's. Maybe 405.

agibson

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 07, 2017, 12:21:13 PM
What if we focus on limiting their looks from the perimeter? That way they have to rely on their bogs where we can at least match their size a little.

It sounds kind of like Northwestern tried that. Didn't double the post, and Purdue's big guy had a field day.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 07, 2017, 12:21:13 PM

Purdue is a very good 3pt shooting team. They shoot 41.0% as a team. Dakota Mathias & PJ Thompson are crazy good shooters. Both are shooting over .500 from 3 this season. Ryan Cline is another great shooter but he's had a rough start to the season so far.

On the bright-side Valpo defends the perimeter pretty well as a team but we have lapses in defense sometimes like the 1st half of the Utah State game, but we came back strong defending the 3 after halftime. We need max effort on defense tonight from everyone.

valpopal

Quote from: agibson on December 07, 2017, 12:41:20 PM
Quote from: talksalot on December 07, 2017, 06:01:31 AMLocal Comcast in Valpo has the game at 5:30 on channel 237 FS1.

It must depend on your flavor of Valpo Comcast. For me FS1 is in the 400's. Maybe 405.

Channel 408 is the non-HD option. Channel 237 is HD.

wh

Their bigs have a huge impact on both ends, but from what I've seen they don't close out on the perimeter any better than our bigs do. I expect we'll get some pretty good perimeter looks.

NativeCheesehead

So as close as a week ago I was ready to see the positive in nearly any outcome of this game. Now I want a win and will  settle for nothing less.

What was going to be a relaxing evening of Vu Basketball on the couch has now had me wired all day.

SEE WHAT YOU PEOPLE DID TO ME?!

justducky

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 07, 2017, 04:31:40 PMWhat was going to be a relaxing evening of Vu Basketball on the couch has now had me wired all day.

SEE WHAT YOU PEOPLE DID TO ME?!
:) For a team this young, much satisfaction can be taken watching their game to game individual and group improvements. I am expecting a good effort and a good showing. If that comes with an 18 point loss then I will still sleep like a baby.

Next year my expectations will rightly be enormous and my sleep might be a bit more fitful.

Pgmado

Quote from: vu72 on December 07, 2017, 08:27:44 AM
Went to check the Vegas line and found us featured in a nice article.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/scoreboard/previews/valparaiso-@-purdue.cfm/date/12-07-17

Current line 15.5

STATS INC. wrote that story and used one of my quotes, while referring to it as the "Lafayette newspaper." SHAME!

VUSWIM08-12

Line moves to Valpo +15 and the O/U added a point and is now at 148. 3 scenarios could play out here. Valpo gets blown out of the gym( 60% possible), Valpo keeps it within single digits( 35% possible). Valpo wins( 5% possible). My personal pick:

VU: 68
Purdue: 79

SanityLost17

My way to specific Prediction.... 

They jump out on us early as we can't hit anything and they drain some early 3's.   Something like 20 to 6.   We settle down and shots start falling   Get it to within 5 with under 10 to play.  End up losing by about 14.   The same 14 points we spotted them in the opening run they had to start the game.     

VU2014

Sloppy with the ball early. Could be nerves. 4 turnovers from us. Purdue isn't very hot offensively.

VU2014

The offense from both teams has been bad to begin the game. Valpo NEEDS to take advantage of Purdue's slow start!

jloose128

I can't wait until there's a like 13-3 foul disparity at halftime...

NativeCheesehead

I am getting so tired of watching Smits making some kind of fundamental mistake on almost every possession on both ends of the floor.

VUOR63