• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Joe Burton Suspended

Started by NativeCheesehead, December 20, 2017, 07:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPEven

two points

1) why are we assuming that he DIDN'T have academic issues last year - since he was sitting out for transfer, how would we know that he met eligibility grades last year.

2) it's not a large campus and these guys hang out together - surely when classes get going here, it's going to be pretty obvious if he's not around campus with the team....

valpo tundra

Unfortunately, Joe has lost his appeal and as of yesterday will not be coming back to Valpo as a player or as a student.  He will now try to make it in the Houton Rockets organization.

M

That's too bad. Good luck to him in his future endeavors.

VUGrad1314

That opens up his scholarship right?

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 06, 2018, 10:10:59 PM
That opens up his scholarship right?

Yep. It opens up a scholarship for the Fall of 2018 class. We can't take on a mid-season recruit unless he pays his own way for 1 semester (unlikely) without an athletics scholarship.

We now have 2 scholarships for the class of 2018.

nkvu

If that scholarship is available next fall, might there be a p5 graduate transfer out there like Boggs who, looking for some pt in 2018/19, might provide some senior type leadership as well as knock down some 3s. Thinking of a 6'5 type 3. A change of pace from the more athletic Golder and another shooter to complement Fazekus? It would need to be someone special to fill a particular role.

VU2014

Quote from: nkvu on January 07, 2018, 12:48:40 AM
If that scholarship is available next fall, might there be a p5 graduate transfer out there like Boggs who, looking for some pt in 2018/19, might provide some senior type leadership as well as knock down some 3s. Thinking of a 6'5 type 3. A change of pace from the more athletic Golder and another shooter to complement Fazekus? It would need to be someone special to fill a particular role.

Ideally I'd like us to land the highest ceiling 2/3 red-shirt talent possible. It's going to be tough to land talent of Joe Burton's caliber (Top 100 player coming out of high school). The other scholarship maybe go for the best grad transfer fit possible to provide leadership and who also can fill hole at a inexperienced position like Power Forward. If the coaches think Mileek/Parker can't take that next step by next season then that might be the way to go, because you'd only be committed to a guy for 1 season and it would be a shorter term fix. Or maybe we hold onto it to land the best mid-season transfer possible, which could land us a high ceiling kid who is looking for a better situation.

I just don't see us signing a freshman with one of the now 2 open scholarships, because its pretty late in the recruiting game to land a high level kid.

nkvu

I just don't see us using a scholarship on a 4 next year. Fazekus should get most of those minutes with Hazen, McMillan and even Linssen competing for minutes behind him, assuming one or more don't transfer.  To me, the 3 will be the place where some bodies will be needed next year.  A healthy Boggs type grad transfer would be a perfect fit in my humble opinion.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpo tundra on January 06, 2018, 09:37:53 PM
Unfortunately, Joe has lost his appeal and as of yesterday will not be coming back to Valpo as a player or as a student.  He will now try to make it in the Houton Rockets organization.

Not that I'd be surprised with this outcome.  But am I missing something?

Who is Valpo Tundra to know such things?

vu72

Quote from: nkvu on January 07, 2018, 01:55:00 AM
I just don't see us using a scholarship on a 4 next year. Fazekus should get most of those minutes with Hazen, McMillan and even Linssen competing for minutes behind him, assuming one or more don't transfer.  To me, the 3 will be the place where some bodies will be needed next year.  A healthy Boggs type grad transfer would be a perfect fit in my humble opinion.

With the only two guys graduating both being shooting guards, we need to add another guard to protect against injuries etc.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

rustnvrsleeps@yahoo.com

Quote from: valpotx on December 20, 2017, 11:52:37 PM
Yes, it was a 4.0 when I was in school, so 1.8 is essentially a high C-.
A high C-....? That's funny, I don't know why but that's just funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

Had to be the most Ben Boggs has been mentioned in a post.

FieldGoodie05

We absolutely need a stand still knock em dead G with (1) scholarship for next year.  Get us 2 makes a game @ 45%.  Seth Colclasure Type.

Just a thought, take a developmental Center with the last slot.  It took Vashil 2+ years to contribute.

Sorolla = 2 years left
Smits = 2 years left
Linssen = 3 years left

I'd prefer to see Marty play the 4 and develop a 15-ft jumper.  He has a nice touch.

But the quality of centers that we can get take multiple years to develop.  Is this the time?

I'd argue that we have ZERO projects on our team currently.  McMillan is ahead of the curve from my expectations.  Linssen is my favorite surprise!!! And Parker is not a project despite his confidence.  He can play at this level once the game slows up for him mentally.  I think Parker has a high upside personally.  He could be an outstanding defender and rebounder that contributes 8 ppg by Jr year.  Maybe a Tevonn on the defensive/effort.

nkvu

Quote from: M on January 07, 2018, 09:44:10 AM
Had to be the most Ben Boggs has been mentioned in a post.

Too true. The guy just stuck in my brain ever since the Michigan State NCAA tournament game where he came off the bench in the last few minutes and started knocking down threes. Made the final score semi respectable instead of the beat down it really was. I remember one of the  tv announcers saying that he wondered where this guy had been the rest of the game. I think he had some health issues that limited how much he could contribute that year. Too bad.

valpotx

Ben Boggs sent me a LinkedIn invite the other day.  It looks like he is working at Valpo in alumni relations?

Joe Burton will not catch on with the NBA.  If what Valpo Tundra is saying is true, he just needs to go directly to Europe.  However, he should have finished his degree, and if he withdraws, I don't believe that Valpo would have to honor a scholarship for him to complete his degree at some point.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Was it Burton that received Skara's scholarship?  We originally thought that was a great trade-off, but looking back, we could have used Skara last year when Jubril and then Alec went down.  We didn't have anyone to step in when that happened.  Now, we could use him with Joe out.  Seems like it was lose-lose for David and Valpo, although Skara is at least on a top team (14-1; 3-0).  He isn't doing much for them, other than taking up minutes, however:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3133922/david-skara
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on January 07, 2018, 01:23:38 PM
Was it Burton that received Skara's scholarship?  We originally thought that was a great trade-off, but looking back, we could have used Skara last year when Jubril and then Alec went down.  We didn't have anyone to step in when that happened.  Now, we could use him with Joe out.  Seems like it was lose-lose for David and Valpo, although Skara is at least on a top team (14-1; 3-0).  He isn't doing much for them, other than taking up minutes, however:

Losing Skara was a big blow. Last year we definitely could have used him and this season as well. He's a good player BUT if it meant we getting blackmailed to hire that scumbag Maravilla's guy (who ironically is a Valpo bball alum) as an assistant I'm ok with not having David on this team. I still feel awful how David was treated like a piece meat by that guy and was forced to transfer even though he didn't want leave VU to at the time.

Matt Lottich to Dave Maravilla lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLo-NZBLkr8

M

Ben does work in advancement and is doing a pretty good job! Probably helps when everyone knows who you are.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on January 07, 2018, 02:10:24 PM
Quote from: valpotx on January 07, 2018, 01:23:38 PM

Losing Skara was a big blow. Last year we definitely could have used him and this season as well. He's a good player BUT if it meant we getting blackmailed to hire that scumbag Maravilla's guy (who ironically is a Valpo bball alum) as an assistant I'm ok with not having David on this team. I still feel awful how David was treated like a piece meat by that guy and was forced to transfer even though he didn't want leave VU to at the time.

Matt Lottich to Dave Maravilla lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLo-NZBLkr8

If memory serves, David would have sat with Jubril last year. Wasn't he  the "other one" involved in that fiasco? He was suspended X games (10?) at Wake this season as a part of that.   But he'd be on the floor this year for us had he not xferred

oklahomamick

His suspension was 8 games.  He's at Clemson not wake. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Correct, my bad. But my point stands.

NativeCheesehead

So Skara's suspension at Clemson was related to an academic matter here? I missed that. That makes 4 players in 3 years then. At what point is this systemic?

Edit: I See this is being addressed in another thread. Worth the discussion, however.

oklahomamick

Okay, we are not Notre Dame.....But Notre Dame football program has publicly said they are at a competitive disadvantage on the field because they cannot recruit athletes without the academics. 

Is that Valpo to an extent?

Another question.......Was Burton ineligible based on NCAA rules or University rules?   
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

And there it is, Joe Burton is no longer enrolled at Valparaiso University. It's sad it didn't work out but I wish Joe nothing but the best. He seemed like a good kid.
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/950405973973364737
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/950406673188966400
https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/950406965469089792
https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/950407181442134017

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 08, 2018, 09:10:17 AMAnother question.......Was Burton ineligible based on NCAA rules or University rules? 

From what I remember of the NCAA rules, as described in the VU student athlete handbook, I don't think they have a mechanism for removing you from school. Wouldn't make sense really, right? They just govern athletics - they determine which students are eligible to compete. The university rules govern who's eligible to take classes i.e. who's a student.

So, he was suspended by the university.

Best of luck to him: at another university, maybe playing ball in Europe, or, who knows, maybe back at Valpo some day.