• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Kobe King

Started by wh, December 03, 2021, 04:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairback

So does he take Eron's minutes? 

humbleopinion

Quote from: Chairback on December 06, 2021, 04:33:34 PM
So does he take Eron's minutes? 

I had thought of Eron as a placeholder in the starting lineup until Kobe was eligible.
Beamin' Beacons

FWalum

Quote from: justducky on December 06, 2021, 01:51:38 PM
The higher the 3point % for King is then the more are the minutes that he, Krikke and Kithier can share the floor.

Honestly interested in why you would make that statement. The 3 is not really King's game, for which I am grateful. He has a very good midrange/slash game and has been under 30% from 3 in his career but is very good getting to the basket and maybe better from 10-17 feet. I really don't want Kobe King shooting threes and I'm interested in knowing why you don't think Krikke, Kithier and King can play together unless King hits a good percentage of 3s. Are you afraid the middle is going to get clogged up because we won't have enough shooters on the floor?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

That is good to see for both Kobe and Sheldon.  That might actually be part of the reason that Sheldon is such a good defender this season.  If he is going against Kobe daily in practices, it has already paid dividends, even without Kobe touching the floor.  Very similar to when Smits wasn't playing much, but had to go up against Vashil daily, except Sheldon is getting to see the results on the court.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: FWalum on December 06, 2021, 09:31:45 PM
Quote from: justducky on December 06, 2021, 01:51:38 PM
The higher the 3point % for King is then the more are the minutes that he, Krikke and Kithier can share the floor.

Honestly interested in why you would make that statement. The 3 is not really King's game, for which I am grateful. He has a very good midrange/slash game and has been under 30% from 3 in his career but is very good getting to the basket and maybe better from 10-17 feet. I really don't want Kobe King shooting threes and I'm interested in knowing why you don't think Krikke, Kithier and King can play together unless King hits a good percentage of 3s. Are you afraid the middle is going to get clogged up because we won't have enough shooters on the floor?

Obviously the 3 is not his game which is obviously the reason I said it! I do not expect King to take many 3's but there will be late clock situations where he may need to take them. At best I am hoping he can hit maybe hit 31% of them. If he is a 26% outside shooter on the floor with Kithier and Krikke who are also really questionable from distance then inside play could clog up with only 2 outside options on the floor. All 3 of these guys have backdown or inside maneuvering games where in a spread floor they capitalize on man on man advantages and mismatches. Those situations will rarely appear if these three are all crap from the 3 point line. Having only 2 three point shooters on the floor with a short shot clock is not great. Maybe Matt could engineer some kind of 2 point option bailout action or maybe you could do it for him?

It is also obvious that it would be great if these 3 can share some floor time but from a coaching standpoint I think automatically going zone against this 3 man combo would be a great option.

wh

If we were talking about Daniel Sackey at 11% from 3, your concern about a traffic jam in the paint would be right on point. Kobe at 33% freshman, 31% sophomore, and 25% in a partial 3rd year is a different scenario. That's not far from the 33% respectability threshold. Any guard who hopes to make money at the next level knows they have to have an outside shot to keep defenses honest. I'm pretty confident he's put up a gazillion 3's over the last 24 months. I guess I would be surprised if his numbers don't show improvement.

justducky

Quote from: wh on December 07, 2021, 08:55:18 AM
If we were talking about Daniel Sackey at 11% from 3, your concern about a traffic jam in the paint would be right on point. Kobe at 33% freshman, 31% sophomore, and 25% in a partial 3rd year is a different scenario. That's not far from the 33% respectability threshold. Any guard who hopes to make money at the next level knows they have to have an outside shot to keep defenses honest. I'm pretty confident he's put up a gazillion 3's over the last 24 months. I guess I would be surprised if his numbers don't show improvement.

Good points! Some similarities between what Freeman gave us and King might give us. Both clearly favor or favored the very high % 2 point basket. If King is now a confident 33%+ 3 point shooter then lets just start our season long tailgating party now!  :thumbsup:

covufan

With Kithier, Krikke and King on the floor, the defense will be stretched - hopefully leaving one open shooter for a three when these three aren't pounding or slashing it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWalum

Quote from: covufan on December 07, 2021, 03:12:57 PM
With Kithier, Krikke and King on the floor, the defense will be stretched - hopefully leaving one open shooter for a three when these three aren't pounding or slashing it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Precisely, most people think it is outside shooting that kills a zone when it is the exact opposite, getting the ball into the interior of the zone is the key. A good passing zone offense will get bunnies at the basket.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu84v2

ESPN article on Kobe King.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32820497/kobe-king-returns-college-basketball-valpo-nearly-two-years-leaving-wisconsin-badgers

Really interesting story that goes through his journey from leaving Wisconsin to joining Valpo. Moving frozen mattresses to an attic in sub-zero temperatures can give you some perspective. I hope that he continues to find the joy that he seems to have found at Valparaiso.

vuny98

Quote from: vu84v2 on December 08, 2021, 10:38:42 AMESPN article on Kobe King. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32820497/kobe-king-returns-college-basketball-valpo-nearly-two-years-leaving-wisconsin-badgers Really interesting story that goes through his journey from leaving Wisconsin to joining Valpo. Moving frozen mattresses to an attic in sub-zero temperatures can give you some perspective. I hope that he continues to find the joy that he seems to have found at Valparaiso.
The quote under the picture on the website.. "Kobe King scored a team-high 19 points in 23 minutes off the bench in his Valpo debut on Tuesday."
Don't tell Ben Krikke that....

Just Sayin

Will be very interesting to see how Kobe and team work together against Charlotte tomorrow. I expect a win and they damn well better pull it off AFAIC.
It's time. There should be no excuses for losing the next four games+. We should be ready for a run in the MVC.
I expect Matt's going to show us why he makes the big bucks. It's all on you now. You are not a rookie anymore and you get paid big bucks. You own this team. This team represents your ability to recruit talent and now you need to prove to everyone your coaching skills and why you deserve to be head coach. I'm seriously hoping that you can put to rest the skepticism I have and I'm guessing many other fans have, and frankly the big wigs should have. It's time to put up or shut up. The brass ring only comes around once. Grab it. Valpo fans have high expectations and rightly so. We were spoiled with success and hate it when our team seems to be headed in the wrong direction. Turn it around or leave. Here's to wishing you can pull it off.  :cheers: