• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bryce Drew...

Started by HutchJones, January 30, 2019, 05:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NativeCheesehead

I'll give their AD credit, this is a gutsy hire.

Within five years they'll be a top ten program or both coach and AD will be looking for new jobs. Hard to see an in between there.

mp91

Apparently, word on the street at the final four is that Roger Powell Jr is close to joining a "much bigger program"... I wonder who? Potentially, Purdue? Supposedly several of their assistants are moving up the ladder and taking coaching jobs

NativeCheesehead

I continue to think we'll look back on Roger not taking the HC job as a pivotal moment in the course of our program.

VU2014

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 08, 2019, 12:57:47 PM
I continue to think we'll look back on Roger not taking the HC job as a pivotal moment in the course of our program.

I thought the same thing for a while but after talking to some people I'm no so sure about that anymore. Some people just aren't HC "material", but make excellent top assistants. Either way I think he definitely deserves to prove himself as a HC and get that opportunity.

Pgmado

Quote from: mp91 on April 08, 2019, 12:44:58 PM
Apparently, word on the street at the final four is that Roger Powell Jr is close to joining a "much bigger program"... I wonder who? Potentially, Purdue? Supposedly several of their assistants are moving up the ladder and taking coaching jobs

Bigger than Purdue.

crusadermoe

Bigger than Purdue doesn't leave much room.

Wild guess would be an asst. with the Chicago Bulls. 

tiny707

My guess is that maybe Roger Powell is headed to Kansas as an assistant. Bill Self used to coach at Illinois and loves Chicago kids.

valpopal

Quote from: tiny707 on April 09, 2019, 10:09:59 AM
My guess is that maybe Roger Powell is headed to Kansas as an assistant. Bill Self used to coach at Illinois and loves Chicago kids.

I don't have any info about Powell, but this recent story about Kansas basketball being under investigation, especially its assistant coach, seems pertinent: "Kansas assistant basketball coach Kurtis Townsend was also caught on a wiretap recording discussing payment for prized recruit Zion Williamson, who ultimately committed to Duke."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2825777-report-ncaa-opens-investigation-into-kansas-mens-basketball-football-programs

VU2014

Quote from: tiny707 on April 09, 2019, 10:09:59 AM

Going from an assistant with no ethics to a assistant with strong ethics sounds like a pretty solid choice for Self and Kansas.

I still like Powell even if he tried to take Valpo players with him to Vandy when they left. It's a just cut throat business and if our coaches didn't take it personally neither should we I guess.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think any "significant" punishment will come down on Kansas.

VUBBFan

Quote from: VU2014 on April 09, 2019, 11:26:04 AMMaybe it's just me but I don't think any "significant" punishment will come down on Kansas.

Kansas will not get off so easy. They are being dealt with accordingly.

I heard they will receive very stiff punishment from the NCAA via "an additional 2 years of probation to Cleveland State".

M

Strong ethics = taking players from Valpo  :crazy:

VUGrad1314

Seems an odd fit but money is money... Assuming the money Vanderbilt still owes him isn't mitigated by him coaching during the original contract term this is a good strategy for him. Maybe his final gift to Valpo wasn't MVC membership, maybe he's trying to build up enough cash reserves to give us just one more... I can dream can't I?

VU2014

If the AD and President Heckler thought fans weren't happy right now, well this would tip the displeasure to an even greater scale, considering a good handful of fans have been openly begging to bring him back home.

It would make sense if Porter left for St. John's and it would be a good landing spot for him.

https://twitter.com/airalston/status/1117885795883290626?s=21

valpolaw

That would be pretty disappointing if that happened.  Not sure who the person is that tweeted that and whether they have any credibility though. 

a3uge

Valpo Loyola games would end 25-24.

VU2014

Quote from: valpolaw on April 15, 2019, 03:35:17 PM
That would be pretty disappointing if that happened.  Not sure who the person is that tweeted that and whether they have any credibility though. 

He's just a diehard LU fan and I think just lightheartedly joking around. But in all honesty it's not out of the realm of possibility with Bryce's Midwest connections and private religious school and all. It also wouldn't be a job where he'd be taking over a train wreck

elephtheria47

Guys, its highly doubtful Drew is coaching anywhere this upcoming season. And, try explaining to your boss (and your fans) why you're excited about hiring a coach who lost 20 games in a row. I'd imagine he will be back coaching sometime, but he will take at least a year off, if not more.

Moser to St. John, if it happens, would be interesting. I was surprised when he came back this season and I think he found out *how* hard it is to maintain or achieve what they did last year. Unfortunately for coaches, gotta strike while you're hot. I can see him taking the gig.

vu84v2

A few Porter Moser quotes last Spring.

Porter Moser after Loyola reached the Final Four: "God has blessed me on my journey. He's blessed this university, and this group of guys are resilient. So the first glory goes to him. Second of all, the journey with these guys, it's an unbelievable group. It's amazing when you believe. They have believed and believed and believed, and it's awesome to see. I just want to stare at them celebrating."

I guess God is no longer blessing Loyola. If God does 'bless' teams (which is extraordinarily doubtful), I guess God must be fickle and change loyalties often.

Porter Moser after being given a contract extension through 2025: "As I have said many times before, I am a Catholic kid from Chicago who played in the Missouri Valley Conference. This is the trifecta for me. We have invested so much time and energy in this program and I'm beyond excited to continue the journey. Watching Chicago as well as Loyola students, alumni and fans get excited for this team was exactly the vision we had when we took over the program. I will continue to challenge our fans to fill Gentile Arena as we did for the final home game to make it one of the best college basketball atmospheres in the country."

If Moser leaves, it would be another example that these guys don't care about the journey and they don't care about programs unless it serves their interests. That is all fine, but they should never make themselves out to be anything more than people who act in their own interest.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on April 15, 2019, 04:53:52 PM
Quote from: valpolaw on April 15, 2019, 03:35:17 PM

He's just a diehard LU fan and I think just lightheartedly joking around. But in all honesty it's not out of the realm of possibility with Bryce's Midwest connections and private religious school and all. It also wouldn't be a job where he'd be taking over a train wreck

This was the same guy who said "I have a hunch Quasimodo is back at Notre Dame Cathedral for revenge."

elephtheria47

I dont know vu84v2, just because someone takes a new job doesnt mean they dont care about the program. I wont ever fault someone who triples/quadruples their salary and goes somewhere that has more resources to make the job easier. I will and do question how some coaches make the exit, however. It sucks, but unfortunately its just part of it now days. Fortunately, MVC is, at least historically, at a level where they can choose a replacement that has D1 head coaching experience if they want to go that route. Is the grass always greener? Who knows. Theres certainly a lot more pressure to perform at that price point. I'd love to know Bryce's honest feelings and if he would do it again if he had the chance with how things went down. Maybe Porter is just using this as leverage at Loyola and stays. Let's hope.

ValpoDad89

If Moser takes the St. John's job he's taking it for the challenge. The Moser family, at one time, owned much of what is now Naperville. His ancestors set them up to be independently wealthy so it's not about money and given the extension he agreed to last year, he's doing welll and will continue to do so, For him it's about being ona national stage and coaching a national commodity. Now with that, his coaching and recruiting chops will be on a full display as he will be recruiting ona national stage as opposed to a regional one and will have to deal with the scrutiny of a fan base and media that will expect immediate results.

Given their recruiting losses and transfers, he will be hard pressed to not be in the lower tier of the BE next year.

usc4valpo

Bryce needs to take the year off, take the family on picnics, chill and evaluate lessons learned. then he can take the job at DePaul

JD24

I must be the only one who thought that Moser to St. John's made little sense from the coach's perspective unless his pay raise was substantial enough to warrant it.

The Big East is a more highly rated conference than the MVC however St. John's is not the program and hasn't been the program it once was. Meanwhile I'd give Loyola a greater chance of an NCAA bid with one bid out of the MVC than St. John's out of a multiple bid conference such as the Big East.

Edit: The Johnnies were going to pay Moser $2mil per which is more than double what he gets at Loyola. That probably explains the interest.