• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Arch Madness 2019

Started by VU2014, March 03, 2019, 01:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How far will the Crusaders go at Arch Madness?

1st round (Thursday)
2nd round (Friday)
Semi-Finals (Saturday)
Championship Game (Sunday)
Going Dancing

VU2014

https://twitter.com/ValleyHoops/status/1102043721988751360

Thought it was time to make a Arch Madness thread. The Crusaders have struggled mightily down the stretch and we face #8 Indiana State for the third time this season. It's almost difficult to lose 3 times to a mediocre team in one season but it could be a possibility on Thursday...

Nothing about this MVC season has made any "sense", so maybe we squeak by Indiana State and for the right to play Loyola less than 24 hours later.

NativeCheesehead

I'm predicting a 1v4 6v7 semis of LUC MOST, and ISUr UNI.   LUC over UNI in the final, 67-49.   LUC will put their experience on display and win each of their games by 15+.

As for us, don't care. I'll watch if we play Loyola, if for nothing else than to see how we respond to a 16 hr turnaround. Canceled my trip and am taking my daughters to see Captain Marvel during our game on Thursday. Can't remember the last time I willingly missed a Valpo postseason game.  That's what losing 11 of 14 does for your fanbase.

GoldenCrusader87

In the past, I've been willing to put the money out to see them play in tournaments. But, no way I'm spending my money knowing that we may struggle to put up 20 points by half. Or, we may have a lead the majority of the game ... up 10 with 7 minutes .... only to do everything we could possibly do wrong and blow it down the stretch. Can't risk spending the money.

I hope I'm wrong and we show up. No reason why we should lose to ISU 3 times in a season. They're NOT very good. Maybe Bakari will come out and shoot lights out. If Derek makes his free throws like he did against Evansville, that could be a difference maker. Though it still wasn't enough last time around.

If ISU comes out flat and has an off night shooting, maybe that'll be our ticket. Again, as for Loyola. I really don't think we have to lose that game and thus lose to them a third time. We blew the game at home vs them and got out-manned at their place.

I've seen it go both ways with having time off. It's not always in the top seed's favor as the break could cause them to lose their mojo. Come out flat. If we hit a hot streak vs ISU and carry it over, we could be in the semifinals.

bbtds

I'm going to St Louis on Thursday and will stay till Sunday afternoon. I will enjoy St Louis and Arch Madness. I'll visit some friends and relatives. If Valpo beats ISUb I will be pleasantly surprised. I will cheer for the team with as much gusto as I can muster. It will not be like my trip to Madison Square Garden in 2015. If we get to the Friday noon game with Loyola I will be encouraged but again it won't be like MSG. I will enjoy myself. BTW, I'll be taking in as much St.Louis Blues mojo as I can. That is one very hot team. But I will expect another (42nd) Stanley Cup playoff defeat. 0 for 51 seasons.

Let's look good and win a game, Valpo!

Valpo Joe

I may check the scoreboard on Thursday to see if the Crusaders showed up for the game. Glad I didn't watch their last regular season game. Watched all the other games - wish I hadn't invested so much time and energy.  >:(

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on March 03, 2019, 01:02:24 PMNothing about this MVC season has made any "sense", so maybe we squeak by Indiana State and for the right to play Loyola less than 24 hours later.

In my mind it might not make any difference but practically if we can get to the second round it's better than not having a chance at all. Weirder things have happened in conference tournaments. Did anyone think Milwaukee had any chance to make it to the HL championship game in 2017? They beat Valpo by 2 and lost to NKU in the final by 6. They were the 10 seed.

oklahomamick

Drake will be missing guard D.J. Wilkins due to an injury.  Tough blow. 

You talk about a program who had to face adversity.  And overcome.....

18% of the minutes returned from last year after losing the all-time leading scorer.  (That happened to Valpo a couple years ago....)  Drake only returned one starter.  And a new coach. 

What did they do?  They shared the season MVC title with Loyola (lost the tiebreaker).
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Liked for the overall point of your post not the injury.

VUGrad1314

Anybody else find this really uninspiring? I sure did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXxyXX8rxSk

VU2014

For the sake of this message boards emotions and mental well-being I hope Valpo surprises us all and wins in impressive fashion. This fan-base could use a pick me up.

I think I remember Paul Oren once describing the Valpo Basketball Forum as "a place where the highs are high and the lows are very low." It's been very doom and gloom around here for a while now and I hope the team can get some positive vibes going around the program so we don't have to go into the offseason feeling so down and can hopefully feel encouraged about a potentially bright next season.

NativeCheesehead

"The highest highs..." comment could describe literally any fan based message board in the country. It's a natural reaction to what happens when people who are passionate about a topic come together. Good lord, go look at about half the message boards in our own conference, let alone some of the P5s when they underperform.

We disagree from time to time but one thing that has stayed constant and the reason I continue to be a part of this community is we don't engage in personal attacks on our coach or players. Question their abilities? Sure. Call them names? No.

It's been doom and gloom here for most of this season because for most of us, myself included, this is the first time in our time as Valpo fans that we don't feel the program is headed in the right direction. (I defer to Pre-Drew era fans in this of course.) And the next five years of this program depend on the next twelve months of on and off the court success (Been working on a post about that. Will put up when season is officially over.)

A great 20+ year run of success on the mid major level and what do we have to show for it besides some great memories? A decent video board, Homer Drew Court, and waterless urinals.

VU2014

Very well said NativeCheesehead. Love the passion on this board. I just want to get back to winning and feeling like we're building something special with this program.

QuoteAnd the next five years of this program depend on the next twelve months of on and off the court success

Completely agree with this statement. This is a pivotal moment in this programs trajectory.

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 05, 2019, 07:27:31 PM
Anybody else find this really uninspiring? I sure did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXxyXX8rxSk

Call me easy, but I liked it. Yesterday, I basically said the program was an embarrassment to the world, and now I'm looking forward to tomorrow night. I need medication.

oklahomamick

Bracketology has Loyola as the MVC representative at 15.....The same line of the HL.
CRUSADERS!!!

M

So is the MVC and HL being on the same line (I know it's a prediction but lets say it happens) going to be the norm or is this year going to be the exception to the rule?

may know

Let's put it this way.

If Murray State & NKU were in the MVC, this wouldn't be a discussion.

It's 100% self-inflicted on the MVC's part.

bbtds

Quote from: may know on March 06, 2019, 02:27:01 PM
Let's put it this way.

If Murray State & NKU were in the MVC, this wouldn't be a discussion.

It's 100% self-inflicted on the MVC's part.

If Murray State and not Valpo we're in the MVC the conference would be much better off also. Valpo is not doing anything to help.

NativeCheesehead

I'm less worried about the rest of the MVC right now. Let's get our own house in order.

agibson

Quote from: M on March 06, 2019, 02:01:40 PM
So is the MVC and HL being on the same line (I know it's a prediction but lets say it happens) going to be the norm or is this year going to be the exception to the rule?

Neither the MVC nor the HL seems to have anything like an at-large contender this year. I expect that to happen (or close to it) more often in the MVC.

The MVC *does* continue to be stronger top to bottom. The Horizon has four teams below the Valley's last, in the Ken Pom. The Valley's last (alas) is Valpo at 233. The Horizon goes all the way down to 297 Milwaukee (of 353).

agibson

Has anybody figured out TV coverage, in Valpo in particular, for tomorrow's game?

The game notes say "NBC Sports Chicago Plus", and suggests that ESPN+ will be blacked out within that footprint.

If I'm remembering well from trying to watch Chicago Fire games, that network is far enough down the pecking order that Comcast in Valpo may not even offer it.

Am I going to be blacked out? (I've got a soccer game competing with the Valpo game, anyway. But, I figured I'd try to set my wife up, at least.)

NativeCheesehead

I don't know if you'll be blacked out. But if we lay another egg I'll be blacked out by halftime.

Just kidding. I'm not watching. 😀

valpopal

Quote from: agibson on March 06, 2019, 05:35:00 PM
Has anybody figured out TV coverage, in Valpo in particular, for tomorrow's game?

The game notes say "NBC Sports Chicago Plus", and suggests that ESPN+ will be blacked out within that footprint.

If I'm remembering well from trying to watch Chicago Fire games, that network is far enough down the pecking order that Comcast in Valpo may not even offer it.

Am I going to be blacked out? (I've got a soccer game competing with the Valpo game, anyway. But, I figured I'd try to set my wife up, at least.)

In Comcast Valpo the game will be on 109 and 201.

M

I'll have that tune in app going.

bbtds

I've become dependent on Comcast/Xfinity. I just say Valparaiso University mens basketball into my remote and the game comes on.

Of course I'll be at the Enterprise Center-----"Let's go Blues"-----it means more than you think.

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on March 06, 2019, 06:57:03 PM
Quote from: agibson on March 06, 2019, 05:35:00 PM

In Comcast Valpo the game will be on 109 and 201.

Sure enough. Thanks!