• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

IrishDawg

Quote from: FWalum on November 03, 2019, 09:22:26 AM

I think that quote did a great job of pretty much summing up Derek's complete Valparaiso career. Not sure why Butler would think they were getting anything different.

I don't think they do, but given that their Center position consists of sophomore Bryce Golden and freshman John-Michael Mulloy and an undersized Bryce Nze, they need Smits' experience and size.  His exhibition performances were far below what he accomplished at Valpo, but it is an extremely small sample size.  As long as he's a serviceable big on the offensive end, as a Butler fan, I'd consider that a successful season for him.  Defensively he'll see far more 7 footers in the Big East, so that shouldn't be the issue that it could be in the MVC.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: IrishDawg on November 03, 2019, 11:16:05 AM

I think that quote did a great job of pretty much summing up Derek's complete Valparaiso career. Not sure why Butler would think they were getting anything different.

I don't think they do, but given that their Center position consists of sophomore Bryce Golden and freshman John-Michael Mulloy and an undersized Bryce Nze, they need Smits' experience and size.  His exhibition performances were far below what he accomplished at Valpo, but it is an extremely small sample size.  As long as he's a serviceable big on the offensive end, as a Butler fan, I'd consider that a successful season for him.  Defensively he'll see far more 7 footers in the Big East, so that shouldn't be the issue that it could be in the MVC.

So knowing Butlers intentions, do you question why Smits accepted that roll?

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 03, 2019, 11:20:19 AM

Smits was lazy defensively and selfish offensively. He wasn't committed to the program or his teammates (remember the "1 foot in/1 foot out" comment by Eron).  Thus, I don't care why he went where he went or what his role is now that he's there. He's yesterday's news.

justducky

Quote from: wh on November 03, 2019, 02:33:36 PMSmits was lazy defensively and selfish offensively. He wasn't committed to the program or his teammates (remember the "1 foot in/1 foot out" comment by Eron).  Thus, I don't care why he went where he went or what his role is now that he's there.

I think wh is expecting and hoping that Derrik can take to Butler exactly what he provided at Valpo.    :popcorn:  If---BIG IF---he suddenly becomes a controlled  and disciplined contributor then I may have to rethink my position on Lottich.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on November 03, 2019, 02:33:36 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 03, 2019, 11:20:19 AM

Smits was lazy defensively and selfish offensively. He wasn't committed to the program or his teammates (remember the "1 foot in/1 foot out" comment by Eron).  Thus, I don't care why he went where he went or what his role is now that he's there. He's yesterday's news.

No argument here, I was constantly torn between being frustrated with Smits or Evelyn more the last few years.

NativeCheesehead

By the end of the year we'll know if the problem was them, Lottich, both, or neither. But y'all acting like a spurned ex girlfriend with these posts.

VU2014

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on November 03, 2019, 09:05:19 PM
By the end of the year we'll know if the problem was them, Lottich, both, or neither. But y'all acting like a spurned ex girlfriend with these posts.

Maybe. I don't really know. I think it's fair to take a shot at both players on court demeanors. As for Lottich, I tend to agree that we'll know if he's the right guy for the job, but there is just so much turnover with the roster I think we need to grade more on progress and development then wins and losses with this team. 

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on November 03, 2019, 09:05:19 PM

Of all people Cheese, you know the emotion of disgust as well or better.  You enjoyed these two guys?

NativeCheesehead

Let's be clear: I am glad each and every one of these guys are gone. But most of these attacks are moving into personal territory, for players that are no longer Crusaders.

This team has been stressful enough recently without worrying about guys that are no longer here. And if you think I'm emotional now, you should see the stuff I write out but don't post.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on November 04, 2019, 11:37:51 AM
Let's be clear: I am glad each and every one of these guys are gone. But most of these attacks are moving into personal territory, for players that are no longer Crusaders.

This team has been stressful enough recently without worrying about guys that are no longer here. And if you think I'm emotional now, you should see the stuff I write out but don't post.

Haha, wouldn't be enjoyable without your honesty!

FWalum

Just wanted to say that I have a niece that was is in Derrik's class (she is currently interning at the Schlosskirche in Wittenberg) that said he was a really nice, easy to get along with guy. I don't want to disparage the young man personally, but as a former coach I would have to say that my athletic expectations were not met. I think that Derrik will continue to improve and barring injury will probably end up having a nice professional career and as a Valpo Alumnus I will continue to support his teams and accomplishments (well maybe not Butler so much). Is it true that without Derrik we would have been pretty awful... yes, did we have any other choice after Fazekas went down... no.  Wouldn't it have been wonderful if Derrik had been a taller version of Kevin van Wijk, would that have been too much to ask?  ::)
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

2019-2020 Big East Preseason Rankings
by Aidan Curran
Oct 20, 6:50 PM

8. Butler
2018-19 Record: (16-17, 7-11)
2018-19 Big East Finish: T-8th

"The Bulldogs are hoping that 7'2" Valparaiso grad transfer Derrik Smits can help shore up a defense that took a step back last season."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/georgetown/Article/2019-2020-Big-East-Preseason-Rankings-137132736/Amp/

talksalot

Smits line score for the Butler win over IUPUI:    DNP - coach used a 7-man rotation.
Smits line score for the Exh game with UIndy:    5 minutes, 1-3 shooting, 2 points, 0 rebounds, 0 turnovers, 0 assists.

hope that's what he intended.

a3uge

Quote from: talksalot on November 07, 2019, 06:56:28 AM
Smits line score for the Butler win over IUPUI:    DNP - coach used a 7-man rotation.
Smits line score for the Exh game with UIndy:    5 minutes, 1-3 shooting, 2 points, 0 rebounds, 0 turnovers, 0 assists.

hope that's what he intended.
Smits was unavailable due to a knee injury.

talksalot

Sorolla.  Cincinnati at Ohio State.  23 minutes, 3-3 for 6-points, 4 rebounds.    In their exh game, he was 3-4 for 6pts in 16 minutes.   Next up for Cincy is Drake.

vuny98

Quote from: talksalot on November 07, 2019, 07:30:11 AMSorolla.  Cincinnati at Ohio State.  23 minutes, 3-3 for 6-points, 4 rebounds.    In their exh game, he was 3-4 for 6pts in 16 minutes.   Next up for Cincy is Drake.

Looked like he played a bit more than he typically would have with their starting Center fouling out with only 13 minutes. Still, he had a nice game against a really good opponent.

I am very happy with the team we have now, but I do hope all the transfers have good years with their new teams.

talksalot

Micah Bradford - #13 for Southern University.   
Exhibition game against Wiley College. 
Started. Fouled Out in 13.5 minutes, 1-2 (it was a 3).  2 assists, no turnovers...

Regular Season against Loyola-New Orleans.   
Started 14 minutes, 1-4 from the field, 0-2 from 3pt, missed his free throw attempt, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 turnovers, 1 block, 1 foul
(Coach played all 13 rostered players, won by 17 but it was close until late second-half

talksalot

Bakari Evelyn #4 - University of Iowa
Played one Exhibition game against Lindsey Wilson College (Columbia, KY) and won 96-58
Bakari played 16:46 in the game, was 0-2 shooting, both were 3-ptrs.  Had no rebounds, 2 fouls, 1 steal and 1 block, a +14 on the efficiency chart.  He was 4th player off the bench.

Their season opener is against SIUE on Friday night at Carver-Hawkeye.

Joining the three redshirts on the roster this season will be newcomers: Bakari Evelyn, Joe Toussaint, Patrick McCaffery, and Aidan Vanderloo. Evelyn is a graduate transfer from Valparaiso, while
Toussaint, McCaffery and Vanderloo (walk-on) are true freshmen.

Fran McCaffery enters his 10th season as head coach of the Hawkeyes and signed his first graduate transfer this past July. Bakari Evelyn, a naÅ ve of Detroit, played the previous two seasons
at Valparaiso (2017-18) and his freshman year at Nebraska (2016).

Last season at Valparaiso, Evelyn tied for first on the team in 3-pointers made (48), ranked second in assists (68) and fifth in scoring (8.4 ppg). He led the team in steals and assists in six
games, and scoring three games.    As a sophomore, Evelyn was a Missouri Valley Conference All Newcomer Team selection and was named co-MVP of the Savannah
Invitational. He was the only Crusader to start all 32 games, ranking second on the team in scoring (12.6 ppg) and first in assists (93). Evelyn saw limited action in 18 games as a freshman at Nebraska.

nkvu

Quote from: vuny98 on November 07, 2019, 09:05:48 AM
Quote from: talksalot on November 07, 2019, 07:30:11 AMSorolla.  Cincinnati at Ohio State.  23 minutes, 3-3 for 6-points, 4 rebounds.    In their exh game, he was 3-4 for 6pts in 16 minutes.   Next up for Cincy is Drake.

Looked like he played a bit more than he typically would have with their starting Center fouling out with only 13 minutes. Still, he had a nice game against a really good opponent.

I am very happy with the team we have now, but I do hope all the transfers have good years with their new teams.

Jay is the backup center behind Chris Vogt, a junior transfer from NKU who received an immediate eligibility waiver. How Vogt managed that I don't quite understand as NKU is less than 10 miles from UC, so don't see a hardship issue. Jay held his own against Ohio State's bigs, doing pretty much the same things he did for Valpo, setting screens, scoring the occasional put back or dunk off the pick and roll, getting an assist by making a backdoor pass. Nothing spectacular, but serviceable.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: nkvu on November 07, 2019, 05:54:17 PM

Jay is the backup center behind Chris Vogt, a junior transfer from NKU who received an immediate eligibility waiver. How Vogt managed that I don't quite understand as NKU is less than 10 miles from UC, so don't see a hardship issue. Jay held his own against Ohio State's bigs, doing pretty much the same things he did for Valpo, setting screens, scoring the occasional put back or dunk off the pick and roll, getting an assist by making a backdoor pass. Nothing spectacular, but serviceable.

Of all our transfers, Jay was the only one I really hoped would change his mind.  Serviceable is a quality we still need at C.  Good player imo.

justducky

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 07, 2019, 06:16:03 PMOf all our transfers, Jay was the only one I really hoped would change his mind. 

My thoughts exactly. I'm not sure he would have made us that much better as a team but he could have broadly expanded our strategic options.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on November 07, 2019, 06:16:03 PM
Quote from: nkvu on November 07, 2019, 05:54:17 PM
Looked like he played a bit more than he typically would have with their starting Center fouling out with only 13 minutes. Still, he had a nice game against a really good opponent. I am very happy with the team we have now, but I do hope all the transfers have good years with their new teams.
Of all our transfers, Jay was the only one I really hoped would change his mind.  Serviceable is a quality we still need at C.  Good player imo.

That's not including the one transfer that DID change his mind right?  ;)

ValpoDad89

Sometimes you get addition by subtraction and in the case of Smits and Evelyn I believe that to be the case. It will open up opportunities for others to step up. What I saw, especially last year, was both were given several opportunities and touches and minutes and the production just was not there. I have nothing personal against either of these young men and in the case of Smits my daughter had a similar experience as FWAlum's niece, Derrick gave her a ride to her apartment after class on a very cold and rainy day. As a father I appreciate that but I think they're in better situations personally and I think Valpo is better off as well. Hey a win/win!!!

VULB#62

Might as well fill out the dance card on our departed xfers with Marcus Golder.

Portland State opened its season with an exhibition against Evergreen State.  Marcus was not listed in the box score (injured??)

First regular season game was 11/5 vs. Puget Sound 94-69 WIN

GOLDER: 
15 min (tied for 2nd fewest minutes in the game). Slowly coming off injury????,
2-4 FG, 1-2 FT = TOT 5 Points
1 TO, 1 Blk, 1 Stl

vusupporter

He didn't get granted a waiver until hours before their regular season opener.

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 08, 2019, 03:09:13 PM
Might as well fill out the dance card on our departed xfers with Marcus Golder.

Portland State opened its season with an exhibition against Evergreen State.  Marcus was not listed in the box score (injured??)

First regular season game was 11/5 vs. Puget Sound 94-69 WIN

GOLDER: 
15 min (tied for 2nd fewest minutes in the game). Slowly coming off injury????,
2-4 FG, 1-2 FT = TOT 5 Points
1 TO, 1 Blk, 1 Stl