• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

crusader05

we have 2 scholarships still available since Zion and Eron wouldn't count against the cap.

My guess is we use at least one more. The overall cost of 2 extra scholarships for a year isn't going to be a big deal. I don't think we should just use them to use them but if we could get a big man with size or if we someone changes their mind in the transfer portal we should use them.

wh

Quote from: crusader05 on April 09, 2021, 09:29:28 AM
we have 2 scholarships still available since Zion and Eron wouldn't count against the cap.

My guess is we use at least one more. The overall cost of 2 extra scholarships for a year isn't going to be a big deal. I don't think we should just use them to use them but if we could get a big man with size or if we someone changes their mind in the transfer portal we should use them.

PO specifically tweeted that Eron is returning, but I don't recall him doing that for Zion. Do we know for certain that he is returning? Maybe he just decided to get on with his life.

crusader05

I don't think he's specifically said he was but it seems like all parties are acting like he will be here. one of the new transfer recruits indicated that he had long conversations with both Eron and Zion about being on next year's team and what they want to do it.

vu72

I think it is save to say that we have significantly upgraded the point position with the trade of Daniel, Steven and Sigurd for Anderson and Taylor plus we still have two draft picks!  ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

nkvu

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 08, 2021, 09:34:26 PM
Quote from: covufan on April 08, 2021, 05:33:43 PM
Good get.

Would like to see a PF/C, as we are thin at that position. No room for injury/sickness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are over 300 guys 6-8 or taller in the portal. Let's hope we can find one guy with size.

I also hope we can get a big through the portal. I'm really getting tired of getting out rebounded constantly. That said, does anyone have a feel for whether Emil could be a contributor next year?  He only played like a minute in two games this year as he was hurt(sick?).  Would he get a medical redshirt for this year?  Would he even need one as I guess he gets an extra year regardless due to COVID?  I just have no feel for whether he can be a contributor. 

wh

Quote from: nkvu on April 09, 2021, 11:29:48 AM
...does anyone have a feel for whether Emil could be a contributor next year?  He only played like a minute in two games this year as he was hurt(sick?).  Would he get a medical redshirt for this year?  Would he even need one as I guess he gets an extra year regardless due to COVID?  I just have no feel for whether he can be a contributor. 

I don't know, but I hope so for his sake. He has been here for two years with little return. A lot of guys in his position would pull out at this point, and no one would blame them. Yet, apparently Emil is going to stay the course. No crying about favoritism or special treatment. No disparaging comments about the Valpo experience not being what it was portrayed to be. No accusations of intolerance or mistreatment by fellow students toward a foreign student with a significant language barrier. Apparently, he actually values a great education at an outstanding American university, all while working to develop his basketball skills and wait for his opportunity. IMO that demonstrates qualities that seem to be in short supply these days - respect for the process, loyalty, and a sense of gratitude. There is no one on this team that I will be pulling for more than Emil.

valpospartan

Quote from: AB on April 08, 2021, 09:55:24 PM
If nothing else, the makeover on the team this year keeps things fresh for the public address announcer. Hope he doesn't slip up. Hah!  Since we are a Wisconsin heavy roster do we need to change the school name in addition to the mascot?

If you sit where we do, you wouldn't have to worry what John Bowker is saying, because you wouldn't be able to understand him because the PA system sucks (and has for years).

vu72

Quote from: wh on April 09, 2021, 01:36:19 PMI don't know, but I hope so for his sake. He has been here for two years with little return.

Well, he is an engineering student so while he has been waiting he is getting one of the best undergrad educations anywhere.  Decent return on investment!  I would think that is why he is still here.  Probably doesn't have his sights set on a pro career and at the same time possibly will round into someone capable of playing significant minutes.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Quote from: VU2014 on April 09, 2021, 01:48:32 PM
https://twitter.com/jakelieberman2/status/1380351766382829568?s=21

A better example of selective statistical referencing, I have not seen lol.  Yeah, averaged double figures, on really crappy shooting %...but still double figures.  All kidding aside, I appreciate his 2 years, and hope that he is able to live up to his true potential somewhere else, wherever that might be.  Go somewhere you can play, otherwise your shot won't improve.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bb33

His defense is definitely what a team should recruit him for. His offense, not so much.

valpo64

Bring him on!!   Transfers to a school in the same conference...I guess it's starting to get down and dirty in "The Valley".

mj

Hopefully Valpo will exercise it's option to not let Clay play immediately next year. No need to roll over on this.
I believe that we will win.

wh

Quote from: jloose128 on April 09, 2021, 05:41:53 PM
Have fun with this one guys

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1380651954112765959

He's someone who used to play here, now he doesn't. He was given every opportunity to shine, but he didn't. We're not worse without him; Missouri State is no better with him. It has no more meaning than that to me.

JBC1824

Can't help but feel as though his decision screams, "screw you, Valpo/Lotttich."
Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

M

Who cares? He's an offensive liability and will be at MoSt too. Get to guard them 5-4 on that end and let him shoot all day.

valpotx

It is close to his home, this is not a total surprise.  If he would have landed at SLU, that would have also not surprised me.  Don't exercise any bar to him playing, as that just gives him an extra year to mature/improve, and come back at us with even more vengeance in mind.  Let him play the next 2 seasons.  This does not scare me in the least, and I think that we have improved with the transfers that we are gaining/losing. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Having one of our better players transfer in conference stings and doesn't feel like a good look for us especially in the eyes of our conference matess. For all of his warts he was still a key piece of this team and when he was right he put up dominant numbers. Maybe some of the recruits will make his loss sting less or even be irrelevant but let's also remember that they will be freshmen so we will be a "young team" again with all that that may entail.

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 09, 2021, 09:44:53 PM
Having one of our better players transfer in conference stings and doesn't feel like a good look for us especially in the eyes of our conference matess. For all of his warts he was still a key piece of this team and when he was right he put up dominant numbers. Maybe some of the recruits will make his loss sting less or even be irrelevant but let's also remember that they will be freshmen so we will be a "young team" again with all that that may entail.

They aren't all going to be freshmen. Take a look at this Sheldon tweet anticipating next year's Valpo/MSU matchup. Then look at the reply by Trevor Anderson. It's apparent they know a bush league move by Clay and Ford when they see it, and don't like it. Hopefully, we can pack the ARC and teach a few people some  manners.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sheldonnn13/status/1380665123904352256

VUGrad1314

Quote from: wh on April 09, 2021, 10:08:27 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on April 09, 2021, 09:44:53 PMHaving one of our better players transfer in conference stings and doesn't feel like a good look for us especially in the eyes of our conference matess. For all of his warts he was still a key piece of this team and when he was right he put up dominant numbers. Maybe some of the recruits will make his loss sting less or even be irrelevant but let's also remember that they will be freshmen so we will be a "young team" again with all that that may entail.
They aren't all going to be freshmen. Take a look at this Sheldon tweet anticipating next year's Valpo/MSU matchup. Then look at the reply by Trevor Anderson. It's apparent they know a bush league move by Clay and Ford when they see it, and don't like it. Hopefully, we can pack the ARC and teach a few people some  manners. https://mobile.twitter.com/sheldonnn13/status/1380665123904352256

I like it! Some of these kids have fire! That's good! I hope they pay it off and light it up against the Bears. Having someone with inside knowledge of the offensive and defensive schemes on a conference opponent isn't the most comforting thought though. Hopefully Lottich is going to work during the offseason to add some new wrinkles we and they haven't seen before so that Clay's information is rendered dated and unhelpful.

valpotx

It wouldn't surprise me if Clay is a big part of why JO said that people were not held accountable.  No inside information here, but there were too many games where he just didn't seem to care or give 100%.  When he showed up ready to play, even if he couldn't hit a shot, he was very valuable.  Other times, it was like he just stood there and pouted. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

That's not good coaching then. If what you are saying is true and not holding Clay accountable is what ended up costing us both Clay and JO when we didn't have to lose both then JO's transfer is completely on Lottich and that is a bad sign this many years into coaching for him. Hopefully he has it figured out and it won't be an issue going forward but it's sad that it cost us a recruit of JO's caliber for him to learn that lesson if what you are saying is true. 

valpotx

Should he have stopped playing Clay altogether?  You can't force someone to care...
"Don't mess with Texas"