• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

justducky

Our extra scholarship might become a valuable asset and holding one in our pockets could pay off big. Until then we should watch, wait and listen. This is a great year and setup for something to come out of nowhere and if it does then we should know instantly!

wh

Quote from: a3uge on May 01, 2021, 09:16:44 PM

Quote from: wh on April 30, 2021, 02:06:06 PM
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Packer fans, you are hereby put on notice. My Bears finally drafted an elite QB (and great team leader), Justin Fields. No more "game managers." Your days are numbered.

RETURNING NOW TO REGULAR PROGRAMMING

Always funny to watch bears fans every 3-4 years think they finally have a decent quarterback. You'd think they'd have learned their lesson by now, but it's an amusing tradition dating back to Sid Luckman.

Sad, but true. It's like falling for the same April Fool's joke every year. Unfortunately, my euphoria has been tempered by my concern for Aaron Rodgers and the disgraceful way he has been treated by GB management. I wouldn't blame him at all if he decides to go somewhere else, possibly the other conference, like Brady did.

vu72

Did we know this about Thomas Kithier?

Paul Oren tweeted: Kithier committed to Valpo over offers from Indiana, Nebraska and Clemson. #MVCHoops :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuny98

Quote from: vu72 on May 04, 2021, 02:22:08 PMDid we know this about Thomas Kithier? Paul Oren tweeted: Kithier committed to Valpo over offers from Indiana, Nebraska and Clemson. #MVCHoops :o
His role at Indiana, Nebraska and Clemson likely would have been much like it was at MSU. So it doesn't surprise me that he moved down if what he wanted was more playing time and to be more of a focal point.

That said, I really like the fact that he was offered Power 5 programs. Shows he is looked at very highly and likely on the same level of a mid-major star that is looking to move up.

wh

Quote from: vuny98 on May 04, 2021, 03:39:50 PM
Quote from: vu72 on May 04, 2021, 02:22:08 PMDid we know this about Thomas Kithier? Paul Oren tweeted: Kithier committed to Valpo over offers from Indiana, Nebraska and Clemson. #MVCHoops :o
His role at Indiana, Nebraska and Clemson likely would have been much like it was at MSU. So it doesn't surprise me that he moved down if what he wanted was more playing time and to be more of a focal point.

That said, I really like the fact that he was offered Power 5 programs. Shows he is looked at very highly and likely on the same level of a mid-major star that is looking to move up.

Why should we assume he moved down? Dare to dream big! I'll guarantee our B10 transfers are.

nkvu

It will be interesting to see how the bigs share minutes at the 4 & 5. Starting out, I see Krikke & Kithier getting 60 plus between them with Hedstrom getting most of the rest and Emile getting a minute or two here and there if he is healthy.  I think it might take Hedstrom a while to work himself into serious game minutes as I think he didn't get many at Wisconsin given injuries and the guys he was playing behind. The time off due to injury has set Emile even farther behind, and I don't expect much from him in terms of contributing in games next year. Young may actually see more minutes at the 4 if one or more of the other bigs get in foul trouble.  He has the height for it, but that slender body will likely get pushed around by bigger bodied 4s. It will be interesting to see how the rotation of the bigs develops over the season.

justducky

Quote from: wh on May 04, 2021, 05:35:06 PM

Why should we assume he moved down? Dare to dream big! I'll guarantee our B10 transfers are.

This seems like a good time to ask a difficult question. Both Kithier and Anderson should arrive with clear mental pictures of what expanded roles, expectations and limits should now surround them. One article suggested Kithier will have the green light much further from the basket and that is fine as long as they go in but what if they don't? Matt may have made some real or implied promises that could easily lead to future misunderstanding with particular individuals or even team wide. Clarity and communication have always been important and perhaps even more so with this "free agency" approach. Thought?

vu72

Quote from: justducky on May 05, 2021, 10:59:30 AM
Quote from: wh on May 04, 2021, 05:35:06 PM

This seems like a good time to ask a difficult question. Both Kithier and Anderson should arrive with clear mental pictures of what expanded roles, expectations and limits should now surround them. One article suggested Kithier will have the green light much further from the basket and that is fine as long as they go in but what if they don't? Matt may have made some real or implied promises that could easily lead to future misunderstanding with particular individuals or even team wide. Clarity and communication have always been important and perhaps even more so with this "free agency" approach. Thought?

No doubt Matt has a whole new bunch of challenges given the "brave new world" he faces.  Hopefully his experience together with his staff will be up to those challenges.  The good news is guys like Anderson and Kithier are fifth year seniors coming from first class big time programs.  I would hope that a kid with years of experience under a coach like Tom Izzo wouldn't be a lose cannon.  These guys coupled with guys like Eron and Emil and even Connor and Sheldon, should make the new guys blend in.  It isn't the case that any of the freshman will think that they are the "savior" so "give me the ball", at least until they have proven that their shots go in at a clip faster than guys who are 23 years old!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

Whatever the blend next season, Coach will have a huge challenge in molding a good unit that plays as a team, especially considering how many new faces will be there in key positions.  I am anxious to see how the team develops as  I am sure it will take a few games to get a good feel for the talent, what type of offense and defense is best for this group.  It should be a fun season.

valpospartan

[/quote]

No doubt Matt has a whole new bunch of challenges given the "brave new world" he faces.  Hopefully his experience together with his staff will be up to those challenges.  The good news is guys like Anderson and Kithier are fifth year seniors coming from first class big time programs.  I would hope that a kid with years of experience under a coach like Tom Izzo wouldn't be a lose cannon.  These guys coupled with guys like Eron and Emil and even Connor and Sheldon, should make the new guys blend in.  It isn't the case that any of the freshman will think that they are the "savior" so "give me the ball", at least until they have proven that their shots go in at a clip faster than guys who are 23 years old!

[/quote]

I've never heard any negative stories about Kithier in the years he played at Michigan State.  I don't think he should be anything but a good team mate.

NotBryceDrew

Big Ten U might not be done in the portal yet.

wh

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on May 06, 2021, 02:41:14 PM
Big Ten U might not be done in the portal yet.

Thank you, thank you! Anything to distract me from the podcast nonsense.

VUGrad1314

Any word on who we might be looking at? If I had to guess it would be another big man right? Maybe someone to reprise the role JO was supposed to play as a stretch big?

vu72

This is an interesting twist to the transfer mess.

Valley new Commissioner  is quoted concerning NCAA clarification on transfers:  Jackson says players that have transferred previously and are not graduate students, have already used up their ability to transfer without eligibility impunity.

I presume this means a guy like Goodnews is going to have to sit a year.  That is the case with many in the portal.

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on May 10, 2021, 08:19:18 AMValley new Commissioner  is quoted concerning NCAA clarification on transfers:  Jackson says players that have transferred previously and are not graduate students, have already used up their ability to transfer without eligibility impunity.

I presume this means a guy like Goodnews is going to have to sit a year.  That is the case with many in the portal.

Should Hedstrom blossom to significance will this incentivize his staying for at least 2 seasons?

valpotx

Not if he is on pace to graduate early, and utilize the Grad Transfer rule.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: justducky on May 10, 2021, 10:31:55 AMShould Hedstrom blossom to significance will this incentivize his staying for at least 2 seasons?
Quote from: valpotx on May 10, 2021, 11:48:09 PMNot if he is on pace to graduate early, and utilize the Grad Transfer rule.

Nothing Hedstrom specific but we all know the difficulties involved in center development and getting even any payoff on our center project efforts. If Joe is more project than substance I would be cautious about feeding him minutes. Obviously this is a call for Matt and not us but when the door to leave is wide open and penalty free; then how much of recruiting and retention is just going with gut instincts? Gut instinct is not a very reliable business model for success!

wh

Going forward every potential recruit should be vetted to determine if they possess 2 character traits that seem to be in short supply:
• a strong internal locus of control
• an indelible sense of gratitude

"Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

justducky

Quote from: wh on May 11, 2021, 06:30:01 PM"Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

So is Hedstrom a great-great-great grandson of Emerson?

wh

Quote from: justducky on May 11, 2021, 06:59:24 PM
Quote from: wh on May 11, 2021, 06:30:01 PM"Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

So is Hedstrom a great-great-great grandson of Emerson?

Let's hope every member of the current roster is a "descendant" of Emerson. That would be a welcome change.

valpo95

Quote from: wh on May 11, 2021, 10:50:36 PM

Let's hope every member of the current roster is a "descendant" of Emerson. That would be a welcome change.

A welcome change, yet I'd settle for them knowing who Emerson was.

vu84v2

Quote from: wh on May 11, 2021, 06:30:01 PM
Going forward every potential recruit should be vetted to determine if they possess 2 character traits that seem to be in short supply:

"Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wow!  You never know where the intellectual side of the discussion in this forum will go. Psychological characteristics and Emerson!

Beyond the validity of being grateful for all things that have contributed to one's advancement, the internal locus of control comment is also very valid. Internal locus of control is positively associated with many outcomes – performance, latitude of action, strategic change. Believing that your decisions and actions will not affect outcomes is a very unhealthy way to pursue your life and it would be very hard to lead any organization that is heavily comprised of externals.

humbleopinion

Quote from: vu84v2 on May 12, 2021, 09:18:32 AM
Quote from: wh on May 11, 2021, 06:30:01 PM

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wow!  You never know where the intellectual side of the discussion in this forum will go. Psychological characteristics and Emerson!

Beyond the validity of being grateful for all things that have contributed to one's advancement, the internal locus of control comment is also very valid. Internal locus of control is positively associated with many outcomes – performance, latitude of action, strategic change. Believing that your decisions and actions will not affect outcomes is a very unhealthy way to pursue your life and it would be very hard to lead any organization that is heavily comprised of externals.

I would argue that the military (especially the enlisted) is based on external locus of control -- you don't think, you just do as ordered or trained to do. (Ours is not to reason why...)
Beamin' Beacons

wh

Wisconsin Crusaders Alumni Playing In College

"Jacob Ognacevic - Sheboygan Lutheran - Valparaiso, IN - D-1"

https://www.missionbasketball.org/page/show/2889483-wisconsin-crusaders-alumni

Interesting coincidences that Jacob Ognacevic, who went to Sheboygan LUTHERAN and coincidentally played for the Wisconsin CRUSADERS and then coincidentally the Valparaiso CRUSADERS, coincidentally quit Valpo in the year the CRUSADER was coincidentally axed and stated coincidentally that the university misrepresented itself.

Chairback

I had a hard time hearing and accepting the mass exodus.  I guess I just wanted Daniel and Mileek and the others to be successful after watching them for the last few years.  You become invested in them as a fan.   

However I have a overwhelming amount of anticipation for next year and more excited about seeing Valpo play than I've had had in many many years.  I don't know why.  Maybe it feels like a fresh new start with the team or maybe not being able to see games at the ARC in person. But man do I have very strong interest in next season.