• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

justducky

Quote from: David81 on April 27, 2022, 09:48:24 AMThe net negative effect on the game itself, undermining the ability to build a team over a course of seasons, because the end of each season now involves a massive resetting of the deck chairs.

I have been a hard core fan of college basketball since the mid 1960's and it has taken this to temp me to abandon interest in the game. If I abandon VU basketball then I will not be looking for a replacement because the same issues are everywhere.

RS

Moseley from Missouri state now in portal. Some unhappy peeps in bearland.

vufan75

I wonder if maybe Mosely saw Antonio Reeves land at Kentucky and feels he can make the jump to a major P5 program as well?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

vu72

Quote from: RS on April 28, 2022, 08:39:31 PM
Moseley from Missouri state now in portal. Some unhappy peeps in bearland.

For all the concerns expressed about transfers away from Valpo, at least so far, Valpo is WAY better than some in the Valley.  Witness what has happened at Missouri State where three projected starters are now gone and one of them was perhaps the best player in the league.  Or how about Northern Iowa where two projected starters are now in the portal and one of them is the best if not the second best player in the league.  Or how about Murray State where four projected starters are now gone or Illinois State losing Reeves and Strong or even lowly Evansville losing three starters including Givance, Newton and Sisley.

The league is going to be a complete unknown, other than of course, Drake and Belmont, which should be very tough and will be the undoubted projected top two teams.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

chgovalpofan

I know Moseley was offered some very strong NIL incentives to try to keep him.  Those fans have to be burning. They did everything they could and STILL came up short to keep him. This is the part of the portal I really don't like. I don't think he was unhappy.  MSU was very good to him. 

I really hope that they make it hard to transfer a second time and get immediate playing time.  Once I can deal with, but they have to be more stringent on the team jumpers. This year we will see if the eligibility process changes.  If it's a free for all then the entire process is worthless and it is total free agency.  That would be sad.

valpotx

I love that this is happening to Clay, after his actions in our MVC tournament game.  Karma.

Mosley can be in the NBA now.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

Mid majors cannot compete with the power 5 schools in guaranteed extra money for promotional activities, etc.  This is one of the main reasons why this rule, including the ability to transfer, is so stupid.  These top flight mid-major guys are out looking for cash while playing at the college level.  Valley schools cannot compete with the Kentuckys, Iowas, etc. when it comes to giving the player the opportunity to earn extra cash.  That is why the big schools should be by themselves and the mid-majors, etc, should have their own division in the NCAA.  The NCAA is nothing but a pawn oof the major conferences  no matter what they try to convey to the public in general.  Something has got to change!

usc4valpo

Mark Emmert was a wimpy, pathetic leader and could not stand on anything and complete arrogant scumbag. His solution was to form a committee and wait 5 years to get an answe. Good riddance to him.

valpotx

Case in point with this Miami player (Wong) having his 'NIL Agent' go public with a demand for more NIL, otherwise he will enter the transfer portal.  How did these folks not seeing this coming?  Absolutely ridiculous...
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu84v2

Quote from: valpo64 on April 29, 2022, 01:59:23 PM
Mid majors cannot compete with the power 5 schools in guaranteed extra money for promotional activities, etc.  This is one of the main reasons why this rule, including the ability to transfer, is so stupid.  These top flight mid-major guys are out looking for cash while playing at the college level.  Valley schools cannot compete with the Kentuckys, Iowas, etc. when it comes to giving the player the opportunity to earn extra cash.  That is why the big schools should be by themselves and the mid-majors, etc, should have their own division in the NCAA.  The NCAA is nothing but a pawn oof the major conferences  no matter what they try to convey to the public in general.  Something has got to change!

I understand and share the frustration here. For the most part, mid-major conferences cannot compete with the big schools for NIL - which is going to foster ever increasing transfers. This is somewhat offset by there being one ball and 200 minutes available on the court, as well college basketball being a team game.

However, I do not agree with dividing into separate divisions. The best example of why this would be bad is FBS and FCS football, in which the FCS television rights are likely a few percent of what it is for FBS. If there were such a split, the "non mid-major" group would be much more like D2 basketball is now. If there ever were a move by the big schools to try to split D1 basketball, I would hope and expect the ~250 schools that would be left out of the top division to file an anti-trust lawsuit against the big conference schools (since they would be denied the right to fairly compete).

humbleopinion

If there were two divisions, the upper division would continue to poach from the lower division, so it would do nothing to solve the problem.

Do bigger schools have someone in the program whose job includes lining up NILs for players, or does that have to happen under the table?
Beamin' Beacons

vok22

It certainly poses a new set of problems, but it also creates a new set of advantages. Scholarships in college basketball are mostly a 0 sum game. In order for these mid major stars to go up, some people have to go down. Open up the possibility to nab maybe some more talented players that haven't performed yet.

It sucks that schools like us have become a farm to develop players and not get to reap the benefits of their junior and senior years, but we will also likely cash in with transfer ups from D2. We did with Kevion last year, and our 3 transfer ups this year looks really promising. I have to give credit to Lottich this off-season. Handled the transfer situation much better than most schools. Hopefully his in game coaching experiences an equally dumbfounding improvement this coming season.

chgovalpofan

Well we are at May 2 with only 3 transfers.  I would say that is a success given past history.  Hopefully the new players are coming in with something to prove.  We need team chemistry as we will not get much from strategy side.  I continue to cheer for the program, even though I am very disappointed in the current leadership. 

vu72

Quote from: chgovalpofan on May 02, 2022, 09:55:29 AM
Well we are at May 2 with only 3 transfers.  I would say that is a success given past history.  Hopefully the new players are coming in with something to prove.  We need team chemistry as we will not get much from strategy side.  I continue to cheer for the program, even though I am very disappointed in the current leadership. 

If Matt had been fired we certainly would have had a mass exodus. Look what happened at Murray and Illinois State.  Even Missouri State with the same coach has had something like 8 players transfer. All in all, I expect a much better result next year--caveat--IF, as you suggest, chemistry is working.  On paper we have added a very experienced point guard, which we lacked once Anderson went down, a 6'7" shooter, who should be a matchup problem, and an athletic big who can take pressure off Ben and Thomas. These facts coupled with the departure of two of the leagues best players, should help our chances.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

When does the portal close?

valpo84

Humbleopinion

Purdue is currently looking for the following position

Director Of NIL (Name, Image, Likeness) Engagement – Purdue University - Purdue

Position Overview:  Purdue University Athletics Department is looking for a dynamic and passionate leader for the newly created, Director, NIL Engagement.  This position will report to the Chief Executive Officer and work closely with Purdue Athletics leadership on all NIL related topics.  In addition, they will build relationships with business leaders, corporate partners, donors, and all external constituents interested in NIL opportunities. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

chgovalpofan

Portal deadline was May 1 for fall and winter sports.

justducky

Quote from: valpo84 on May 02, 2022, 02:21:23 PMPurdue is currently looking for the following position

Director Of NIL (Name, Image, Likeness) Engagement – Purdue University - Purdue

Position Overview:  Purdue University Athletics Department is looking for a dynamic and passionate leader for the newly created, Director, NIL Engagement.  This position will report to the Chief Executive Officer and work closely with Purdue Athletics leadership on all NIL related topics.  In addition, they will build relationships with business leaders, corporate partners, donors, and all external constituents interested in NIL opportunities. 

So the goal of this hire is to make Purdue athletes the best paid in the Big Ten, or is that a bit too cynical?

VUGrad1314

All things considered only 3 transfers is a reall ygood outcome. This is the year we will finally see if Lottich can lead. He has had relative stability for once. The team should have plenty of experience playing together and the league is wide open with the transfers experienced by UNI Missouri State and Murray State. Dare I say that there is reason for optimism that our long coveted top 4 finish might not be far off? If Lottich really is a good coach simply the victim of bad luck he should be able to do it this year. If we're mediocre again I think the questions and criticisms are more than fair at this point and the time to look in a different direction will be here.

VALPO LI

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 10, 2022, 07:30:34 PM
All things considered only 3 transfers is a reall ygood outcome. This is the year we will finally see if Lottich can lead. He has had relative stability for once. The team should have plenty of experience playing together and the league is wide open with the transfers experienced by UNI Missouri State and Murray State. Dare I say that there is reason for optimism that our long coveted top 4 finish might not be far off? If Lottich really is a good coach simply the victim of bad luck he should be able to do it this year. If we're mediocre again I think the questions and criticisms are more than fair at this point and the time to look in a different direction will be here.
This is a good post.  And welcome back from the Darkside.....over 2 months without a peep had me worried old friend ;)
Shine on Vu

valpotx

This could be the turning point for Valpo in the MVC.  It took us 5 years in the HL, I will take 6 years in the MVC...
"Don't mess with Texas"

AB

Apologies if I missed it, but Connor Barrett? I realize we have very few beat reporters covering the team, but not a even one substantial rumor. Is he or is not on the team anymore? Certainly not expecting him to be the savior of the program, but showed good promise during covid times (freshman year).

crusader05

He hasn't declared for the transfer portal so my assumption is he's still on the team. Same as Emil and Cameron and others.

mp91

https://twitter.com/ADavidHaleJoint/status/1524071293917835265

Brey is awesome. Glad someone finally said it. Way too much complaining going on over this.

humbleopinion

Quote from: mp91 on May 12, 2022, 01:42:22 PM
https://twitter.com/ADavidHaleJoint/status/1524071293917835265

Brey is awesome. Glad someone finally said it. Way too much complaining going on over this.

Is it possible that Mike Brey has an alumni base willing and able to pay the very best athletes to play for Notre Dame?
Beamin' Beacons