• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME #12: Valpo vs. Marist - 11/23, 1:00pm Central

Started by VULB#62, November 18, 2019, 10:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Marist (3-7, 3-4 PFL). Last chance for another win. We have to be much more disciplined for 60 minutes. We killed ourselves with penalties and breakdowns on both sides of the ball. If we implode like we did Saturday, we are toast.

Marist supporters are lobbying for the firing of the current coach. The program is in a bit of turmoil, yet they remain a threat to beat you with a tough, yet predicable defense and an offense that has shown sporadic ability to score.

vu72

So I was just reading the article at the Athletics site concerning the 18 members being honored on Senior Day Saturday.  Presuming that you wouldn't want to be honored if you were coming back, it seems obvious that we will have a new, totally inexperienced quarterback next season.  Both Jimmy Seewald and Chris Duncan are among those being honored.  Other Red shirt Juniors being honored include Bryce Biggs, Zajac and Goebel. Biggs is the starting LT.  Swiss cheese might be the best way to describe the team going into next season.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

ValpoFB60

Valpo always comes to play on senior night. Marist is a very beatable team and I see us winning 21-10. Next year will be a definite rebuilding year but this staff isn't afraid of bringing in JUCO products like the last staff so I think the turnaround will be a bit quicker than Chic's. With that being said this will be one of the worst rosters I've ever seen going into spring, hope these guys will work hard and come to play next year

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on November 19, 2019, 08:57:09 AMSo I was just reading the article at the Athletics site concerning the 18 members being honored on Senior Day Saturday.  Presuming that you wouldn't want to be honored if you were coming back, it seems obvious that we will have a new, totally inexperienced quarterback next season. 
That is probably the case in most cases but not the case in all cases. There have been players honored on Senior Day that have returned.

valpofb16

FB60 the roster is not amazing coming back but the cupboard is not bare

Defense:

DB-return 3 starters (Hebda,Sherman,Scarsella) and 1 spot starter (Hebda), 2 rotation (McKeag, Allen)
LB-return 2 starters (Psota, Peifer), 1 spot starter (Skarecky), 2 rotation (Poloskey,Annis)
DL-return 3 starters (Purty,Gedrys,Twigg), 3 spot starters (Orlandini, Martins, Germain), 2 rotation (Sete, O'Connell)

Defense as a whole returns 8 starters with 5 who have also started this year. May be a better unit overall. Year 2 of Fox.

Offense:

QB-New unit, play here hasn't been great for 2 years, new may be better
RB-return 2 rotation (Allison,Haugh)
WR-return 2 starters (Larose, Reese), 2 spot starters (Lopez, Brewer), 2 rotation (Stablein, Berkemeier)
TE-Return all three guys here
OL- Return 2 starters (Vas, Byrd, assuming no Russell next year), 1 spot starter (O'Doherty)

That's 5 starters returning on offense and 8 on defense. Not to mention the staff tried to redshirt every freshman so it is unknown what is there. Call me crazy but I think the offense is improved next year as they have competed the past three weeks in that department.

Cupboard not bare, have hope

NWIGuy

I really tend to agree with valpofb16. There is a core of returning players that will very likely prove to be a solid foundation on which to build, especially on defense.

Returners in the Front 7 are solid players. Need to find or develop someone into a GREAT corner.

QB situation is addition by subtraction based on the overall play at that position for past two seasons. While it would have been interesting to see Duncan progress for one more season, spend an entire off-season as the starter, really get comfortable in the system, allow the staff to further taylor that system to his skill set while improving where he is deficient, he doesn't appear interested in finishing his career.  Seems like Nimz will get his shot at running the show.

Allison seems to be injury-prone. Getting him and then keeping him healthy will be key. Will be interesting to see if Haugh can push him. Not really all that impressed by the HS film of the younger, RS RBs. Will also be interesting to see if staff can bring someone in who is ready to play right away at this spot.

OL is obviously the big concern here. I was disappointed to see Biggs and Zajac ending their careers. Their experience, a FULL off-season with the new S & C guy, further development, etc. would really have helped anchor the OL.  I saw a couple of JuCo OL offers are out. Need this group to get better FAST. It really is the linchpin in bouncing back from this season IMHO.

JD24

IIRC, one of the big issues from Cecchini's 2nd year was going from upper class laden OL to too many true freshmen playing for one reason or another plus the QB play was not good.

valpofb16

JD24 coach C's 2nd year had 55 freshman on the roster, so if freshman weren't starting at one position odds are they were next man up.

I think the offense will take lumps but Allison, Lopez, Brewer, Reese, Larose have all shown flashes.

I have heard really good things about Parrish and Laird at tackle which is where we will hurt the most.

NWIGUY have you heard it's Nimz?

JD24

I guess with losing 3 QBs apparently, that QB will be a recruiting focus.

usc4valpo

bbtds

I really wish the best for all Valpo athletes future, past and present but

Yawn!

JD24

At the start of the second half all eyes in the PFL will be on Marist/Valpo as it is the final game to finish during the regular season and who cares who San Diego plays in the playoffs.

valpofb16

Happy Trails Chris Duncan! Enjoy the transfer portal!

JD24

Well....lets hope they weren't watching on that last play  :lol:

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on November 23, 2019, 04:12:36 PMHappy Trails Chris Duncan! Enjoy the transfer portal!
He's a conundrum. Makes some great throws but misses some real easy ones and important ones as well and too many go in the wrong direction.

I'll say, WRs have improved markedly during the season really focusing on Reese and LaRose. So there's some hope there with whoever the QB is next season.

valpofb16

I actually hope the kid comes back.

Sort of ironic dad comes on board blaming everyone else's kid, son throws it to the chest of Marist db on senior night.

vu72

If we hope to win any games going forward we simply need a QB who can throw accurately.  It looked like the first day of practice with the route/throws today.  Chris is a good runner but not a good passer.  With the receivers coming back we need a different guy.  What a miserable season. Seriously glad it is over and hope the transfer basketball thing doesn't play out the same in the PFL.  If so, I can see guys like Ollie thinking transfer.  Hope not.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I am sure that some will see the success of Navarro at Illinois, and give it a try elsewhere.  Thanks Seniors for all your efforts.  It is unfortunate that Seewald got hurt last year, as it could have been 2 better seasons.
"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on November 23, 2019, 04:46:35 PMIf we hope to win any games going forward we simply need a QB who can throw accurately.  It looked like the first day of practice with the route/throws today.  Chris is a good runner but not a good passer.  With the receivers coming back we need a different guy.  What a miserable season. Seriously glad it is over and hope the transfer basketball thing doesn't play out the same in the PFL.  If so, I can see guys like Ollie thinking transfer.  Hope not.
Consistent QB play which includes some nice throws but also on 3rd and 7 when he can stick his foot in the ground and the WR is 10 yards downfield wide open he doesn't miss him so Latsonas or his replacement doesn't have an opportunity to miss the kick as happened today.

usc4valpo

Mercifully this season is over. Much learning from Fox. Time to get some decent talent and lots of it.

dcannon12

Valpofb16 if I was Chris Duncan's dad I would tell him get as far away from Valpo football as you can. It's the poor coaching staff that lost these games not the players. Yes I am blaming them. If you noticed all the details like time outs not taken, time management problems, kicker problems, O line problems, in consistency with the QB position among many more you would know that.

valpofb16

DCannon I'm with ya on the oline, our backs averaged 20 yards per game outside of Elias' 112.

I'm fine with lack of time outs as we were driving on an expiring clock. Kicking was very odd this year.

Latsonas went from all PFL type player the last two years to well, the opposite.

I'm truly sorry for differences In past and spoke out of pocket DCannon, however it was ironic after the trashing of coaches, todd ickow, every other kid on team, program, saying Duncan is transferring up, that was  how the season ended.

IndyValpo

How exactly is the OL problems a coaching problem. Let's review, we graduated 5 of last years 2 deep with 2 additional deciding not to return. We had 5 others not return. We opened the season with 9 upperclassmen. 1 four year starter quit mid season, 2 others were lost to injuries meaning we finished with 6 upperclass and 5 true freshmen. Not sure what you expected.

NWIGuy

Indy's comments on the OL are spot on. Least depth of all position groups and that showed up in our inability to run the ball AT ALL or to consistently protect the passer. As the OL goes, so goes the offense...

usc4valpo

Valpo needs lots of talent to be successful. Regarding what fb16 mentioned, yes there are 13 starters possibly back next year. The bad news is that these are 13 starters from a 1-11 team. We help serious help in all areas offensively - period. At the QB position, Duncan has had his chance, time to move on.

Thank God this season is over, and thank God for Texas Southern, we are 255 in the Sagarin.