• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Substitute Mascot Name Options -- Poll

Started by valpo84, January 14, 2021, 07:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Proposed Mascot Name Do You Prefer

Theses
1 (6.3%)
Fortress
2 (12.5%)
95ers
5 (31.3%)
Popcorn
8 (50%)
Saints
5 (31.3%)
Hayseeds (ode to Mayberry)
2 (12.5%)
The Light
4 (25%)
The Way
1 (6.3%)
Beige (need a color)
7 (43.8%)
Warthogs (Need an animal choice)
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: January 24, 2021, 07:33:23 PM

valpo84

So, awhile back, I started scribbling down possible new mascot/nickname for Valpo.  I found the post-it tonight. (I am strongly opposed to changing it, but I thought I might be able to make $250,000 as the consultant for coming up with a new name.  Therefore, I have copyrighted/trademarked all of these and would be happy to license any one of them to Valpo (every lemon can become lemonade).  I set it up for 3 votes for each board member so that you can pick more than one.  Maybe we narrow to 3-4 choices for a second poll if Valpo goes through with their intended action.  Vote early, vote often (max 3).

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

talksalot

Interesting list.  Can I offer alternates?

The Beacon

VALPO.  No The in front.

The Dune (i think that was one of  the 1939 options?) Or
The Region

The Homers?   (Lot of play on words there.. including D'Oh!  For missed free-throws.

VU2014

I'm good with the Crusader. In my entire time on campus and hung out with many classmates of other faiths never did the mascot ever become an issue. Yes there was a very tiny faction of very progressive liberal Professors and Students who talked about it a few times.

I've heard arguments that the nickname might be turn-off some students but I'd say as an alumni, if this is the type of thing that is a deciding factor in becoming a member of Valparaiso community then I'm not sure we want students who need be kept in a bubble of their own virtues. The ironic thing is people would perceive my take a close minded but the same could said for theirs.

Honestly at the end of the day it's not something I care too deeply about. I love Valpo and that includes the people who have different thoughts and opinions from my own. Do people who are the most rabid advocates of a mascot change support the differing views and opinions? I'm not sure but I hope so.

I just hope the University and student body always remains tolerant of everyone's views, opinions and people will still feel comfortable to share their opinions in a civil manner without feeling ostracized. I think modern society wherever someone falls on the ideological or political spectrum needs to be able to have civil discussions or else we'll continued division and unrest. For as much good as social media has done, it's also cause race to the bottom in terms of being to have intellectual and honest conversations. Also caused a bunch of civil unrest with the ease of spreading miss information. That's why College campuses are so important. It needs to be a place where students, professors and can have honest conversations. A recent VU grad recently shared on social media that he thought some students really didn't feel comfortable discussing this topic because many groups (example the student senate) on campus would shame their opinion. That is a huge problem in my book. That should be a bigger concern to the administration then the age old mascot debate.

Either way fill out this Survey to let the Board of Director's know your thoughts (the Student Senate comprised of 24 student pass resolution to change the name because someone who stormed the capitol had an article of clothing that reference the Crusades. Check your @Valpo.edu emails)

But if we were going to change I like Flames 🔥. It's play of the Valpo's logo. The Flames may be slightly generic but fits. The Beacon's is interesting and different. The Beacon would a cool new ARC nickname for the ARC. Maybe a nickname with a play off Christian faith? (Which what the Crusader is, but one could argue the Crusades wasn't a bright spot on humanity. As many atrocities occurred in the named of religions during that time period, from
Multiple different faiths. But this stuff happened a 1,000 years ago and thankfully humanity has grown a considerable amount of development since then.

Some interesting things I found on twitter:
https://twitter.com/innermaverick/status/1349393363192184834?s=21
https://twitter.com/innermaverick/status/1349393365830410242?s=21
https://twitter.com/innermaverick/status/1349397154679451648?s=21
https://twitter.com/innermaverick/status/1349397156550090752?s=21
https://twitter.com/bwilliewisdom/status/1339622795215597572?s=21
https://twitter.com/bwilliewisdom/status/1339623524416299010?s=21
https://twitter.com/bwilliewisdom/status/1339625197322825728?s=21
https://twitter.com/theffactuary/status/1349151701522141184?s=21
https://twitter.com/ksteinhiser1999/status/1349913153077977090?s=21
https://twitter.com/ksteinhiser1999/status/1349913154998968322?s=21
https://twitter.com/ksteinhiser1999/status/1349913157540655106?s=21
https://twitter.com/ksteinhiser1999/status/1349913159222624260?s=21

valpotx

I don't mind admitting that I am not religious.  Technically, the Crusades were against Muslims, Pagans, Heretics, Atheists, etc.  Essentially, anyone that the Christian/Catholic leadership did not agree with and wanted to fight.  I find absolutely no offense in the word Crusaders, even as a non-believer.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo95

Quote from: VU2014 on January 14, 2021, 11:48:39 PM

But if we were going to change I like Flames 🔥. It's play of the Valpo's logo. The Flames may be slightly generic but fits.

If a change made, I like Flames as well. It is about the best option I could think of for many reasons. A flame is already on the University seal. The university can keep the "V-Shield" logo, thus it money and does not require a rebranding campaign. The newspaper is already "The Torch". It is also unique, I think only UIC and Liberty have the Flames and neither of them are in our conference.

NativeCheesehead

Honesty either the board needs to just retire it or declare they'll revisit it in 50 years. Put it to bed. What a tremendous waste of time and energy when so much else needs to be handled right now.

JBC1824

Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

valpopal

Quote from: VU2014 on January 14, 2021, 11:48:39 PM
I just hope the University and student body always remains tolerant of everyone's views, opinions and people will still feel comfortable to share their opinions in a civil manner without feeling ostracized. I think modern society wherever someone falls on the ideological or political spectrum needs to be able to have civil discussions or else we'll continued division and unrest. For as much good as social media has done, it's also cause race to the bottom in terms of being to have intellectual and honest conversations. Also caused a bunch of civil unrest with the ease of spreading miss information. That's why College campuses are so important. It needs to be a place where students, professors and can have honest conversations. A recent VU grad recently shared on social media that he thought some students really didn't feel comfortable discussing this topic because many groups (example the student senate) on campus would shame their opinion. That is a huge problem in my book. That should be a bigger concern to the administration then the age old mascot debate.
Universities are the most intolerant institutions across the country. The current environment of cancel culture, censorship, and shaming of individuals for thinking different in general society was fostered and perfected on college campuses the past couple decades with speech codes, safe spaces, trigger warnings, banning of books, ideological litmus tests for hiring, disrupting and shouting down speakers with differing opinions, etc. Unfortunately, universities have gone from advocates of individual free speech to enforcement of group think where diverse opinions are demonized and outlawed. For example, the Faculty Senate, a body made up of many individuals and representing all faculty across the VU campus, voted unanimously to cancel the Crusader, not a single dissenting perspective was represented.

NativeCheesehead

Boy, the "f*@$ your feelings" crowd has been really testy the last few months....

mj

If Valpo used the Red Cross associated with the Crusades as part of the mascot that would be one thing. I'm fine getting rid of the trash can head crusader and keeping the name.
I believe that we will win.

valpo64

I guess I didn't realize how many people need TO GET A LIFE!  This whole subject is ridiculous.  I will agree that the look the Crusader mascot has is pretty bad but there is no reason to even consider an actual name change.  I guess some people have nothing better to do, including VU profs and students.  If someone is offended, that is their problem, not ours.

valpo84

Flames is an interesting option. However, when I was brainstorming names many of which are in the poll, I rejected Flames because the one issue with Flames is that it is UIC's and Liberty's nickname.  We need something more unique.  Plus, one really should consider the marketing opportunities for something unique.  I do like the option of The Beacon as another consideration.  Notwithstanding, #savethecrusaders
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

wh

Quote from: valpo64 on January 15, 2021, 12:58:31 PM
I guess I didn't realize how many people need TO GET A LIFE!  This whole subject is ridiculous.  I will agree that the look the Crusader mascot has is pretty bad but there is no reason to even consider an actual name change.  I guess some people have nothing better to do, including VU profs and students.  If someone is offended, that is their problem, not ours.

Students making an issue of the mascot remind me of kids playing house. They dress up like mommy and daddy and make up pretend problems to contend with.  Faculty and staff making an issue of the mascot remind me of kids playing house. They dress up like mommy and daddy and make up pretend problems to contend with.  I'm ok with with the students. It's practice for dealing with real world problems and to that extent would seem to have some redeeming value.  Faculty and staff just look like adults still playing house. Not a good look.

valpo95

Quote from: valpo84 on January 15, 2021, 01:17:58 PM
Flames is an interesting option. However, when I was brainstorming names many of which are in the poll, I rejected Flames because the one issue with Flames is that it is UIC's and Liberty's nickname.  We need something more unique.  Plus, one really should consider the marketing opportunities for something unique.  I do like the option of The Beacon as another consideration.  Notwithstanding, #savethecrusaders

Unique is preferred, yet you should not have to explain a mascot. Beacons is unique, yet not inspiring or obvious in my opinion. Uhlans is also very unique and historic, yet no one knows what it is without a search.

I'm not especially bothered that UIC and Liberty use Flames, neither of which is a Power 5 program. I'm guessing that 99% of the population would not know those mascots, so there still are lot of unique marketing opportunities.

More to the point, as I mentioned in my previous post, a flame has been part of VU's seal, logo and history for a long time. Thus, it seems like a natural choice. How did the song go? "Flame of Faith and Lamp of Learning, here have formed our finest days."

valpopal

I am not in favor of changing the name, but if you wanted something else in keeping with the Valpo motif of fire (The Beacon, The Torch, The Lighter, etc.) or light (In Thy Light We See Light), then rather than "Flames" one could opt for "Rays"—as in rays of light or sun rays, symbolizing energizing strength, life-giving power, growth, and illumination—which also sounds good as an internal rhyme with the university name: Valparaiso Rays

PS: The long-a sound in Rays also could help eliminate the frequent mispronunciation of Valpar-a-so as Valpar-i-so

Quote from: valpo95 on January 15, 2021, 02:09:24 PM
Quote from: valpo84 on January 15, 2021, 01:17:58 PM

Unique is preferred, yet you should not have to explain a mascot. Beacons is unique, yet not inspiring or obvious in my opinion. Uhlans is also very unique and historic, yet no one knows what it is without a search.

I'm not especially bothered that UIC and Liberty use Flames, neither of which is a Power 5 program. I'm guessing that 99% of the population would not know those mascots, so there still are lot of unique marketing opportunities.

More to the point, as I mentioned in my previous post, a flame has been part of VU's seal, logo and history for a long time. Thus, it seems like a natural choice. How did the song go? "Flame of Faith and Lamp of Learning, here have formed our finest days."

sliman

How about Trappers?

For the cynic  - program is trapped in a dark hole
For the optimist - coming to the ARC to play Valpo is a trap
For the generalist - The Kankakee Valley area once was fertile ground for trappers/traders.

For the critics of these thoughts - lighten up  :)

usc4valpo

I care much more about the quality of the basketball program than changing the mascot. We suck right now and it needs to be fixed.

nkvu

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 15, 2021, 04:08:50 PM
I care much more about the quality of the basketball program than changing the mascot. We suck right now and it needs to be fixed.

Agree. The way the team is playing, maybe they should change the mascot to the opossums because they sleep at home and get run over on the road. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one).

VALPO LI

The world isn't all cupcakes and rainbows.  If a rebrand of our mascot and image is a must do it when we get a new arena!!!  New arena, new image, new mascot, new Valpo!

Now when that day comes and I am sitting courtside in our new comfortable chairbacks with a beer in hand then I would entertain a mascot that has a significant meaning to the university and the region, so here is my  :twocents:

Valparaiso Golden Steel 
Steel represents strength!  The backbone of what built our great American cities.  The steel mills are an iconic symbol of what NW Indiana once stood for.  So many of my friends from the region at Valpo had family members working in the mills growing up.  Today US steel is the 2nd largest steel producer in the United States located in NW Indiana.  The university can really have fun branding images using our school colors with steel.

Valparaiso Golden Shepherds
One who guides and watches over. The shepherd has biblical meaning in numerous religions across the world.  Metaphorically the term is used for God.  As a Lutheran University why would one not want to have a mascot that represents guidance.
Shine on Vu

Chairback

Do we need a nickname?  Just go by Valpo.  If they are asking if Crusaders is insensitive the decision has been made. 

Let's be the first (I think) to sell our nickname to the highest Corp bidder and change it every 5 years.  Get some cash into the program.  The Valparaiso Centiers!  Ha!!!

GoVU

Valparaiso Valkyrie. Valparaiso Victors (except when we lose)

may know

My only requirement is it's a nickname no other D1 school uses. So I'm happy with any of these names. *All* of them are better than the Hawks, Eagles, Bulldogs, Tigers, Panthers, etc. these changes usually come up with.

valpo95

It also has been said elsewhere, yet perhaps the Valparaiso Lake Effect. It is region specific, and unique, and unlikely to offend.  ;)

vuny98

A crusade and THE Crusades are different things ya know. Crusaders doesn't have to represent THE Crusades, but rather a crusade. That point can be driven home through marketing efforts. The move away from the Crusader mascot in Armour can be a step. We can be Crusaders for Social justice, that should appease the ones barking for the change...

Think about the marketing:

We Crusade for Racial justice. We Crusade for equality. We Crusade for the less fortunate. We Crusade for religious freedom. We Crusade for the future. We are the CRUSADERS.