• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2023

Started by VU2014, March 08, 2021, 07:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David81

It appears that the right new head coach can persuade some talented young men to disregard less-than-ideal facilities, comparatively limited NIL opportunities, and other possible dealbreakers to join something potentially special in the making.

This doesn't mean that aspirations to upgrade the athletic facilities, expand NIL options, etc., should now be shelved. Rather, it's about the energy and credibility of this coaching staff. They will, of course, have to produce in the W-L column sooner than later. I think they get an obligatory transition year, with heavy expectations for 24-25. And if they start winning in 23-24, then all bets are off about how fast this program returns to D1 relevance.

Valpo Joe

DREAM WEAVER

I've just closed my eyes again
Climbed aboard the dream weaver train
Driver take away my worries of today
And leave tomorrow behind
Ooh, dream weaver
I believe you can get me through the night
Ooh, dream weaver
I believe we can reach the morning light
Fly me high through the starry skies
Maybe to an astral plane
Cross the highways of fantasy
Help me to forget today's pain
Ooh, dream weaver
I believe you can get me through the night
Ooh, dream weaver
I believe we can reach the morning light

Valpower

Quote from: vufan75 on May 22, 2023, 02:00:57 PM
Agreed. In recent past we seemed to recruit players who we then tried to fit in some type of system. Now we have a system Coach talked about, and are recruiting players hopefully with skillets to play in that system. This approach makes sense, and hoping we can have the similar quick success as say the Sycamores have recently had in the MVC after a coaching and philosophy change.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

If they have the skillets, they will probably pan out.  ;)

vufan75

Quote from: Valpower on May 22, 2023, 10:31:19 PM
Quote from: vufan75 on May 22, 2023, 02:00:57 PM
Agreed. In recent past we seemed to recruit players who we then tried to fit in some type of system. Now we have a system Coach talked about, and are recruiting players hopefully with skillets to play in that system. This approach makes sense, and hoping we can have the similar quick success as say the Sycamores have recently had in the MVC after a coaching and philosophy change.

If they have the skillets, they will probably pan out.  ;)
Thank you. Fixed it. [emoji1787]

historyman

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on May 22, 2023, 11:11:07 AM
We'll get there. I really believe in the talent of this roster. I also believe that Powell knows what he's looking for and knows when he's got it when he sees it. Then again I may be so beaten down by how awful Lottich's tenure was I'm willing to believe anything at this point just because Matt is no longer at the helm.

I've been thinking it's okay to always get excited about Valpo basketball but to temper myself to not believe in the overhyping of the players. It happens every year when the highlight videos come out and we, as fans, are hoping for the positive. There always seems to be some negatives with each player on the mid-major level and it's important to look for those things too and be realistic about the ability of these players to be successful even with the eventual excellent coaching, if he has learned from his very successful mentors, of Coach Powell.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Just Sayin

Perhaps we should balance the highlight videos with videos of the lowlights?

Valpo89

Quote from: Just Sayin on May 23, 2023, 02:02:24 PM
I always keep this phrase in the back of my mind: There is a reason each player is on the Valpo roster, and not on a Power 6 roster.

78crusader

Would we all be as excited about this recruiting class if these players had been recruited by Coach Lottich?

Paul

justducky

Quote from: 78crusader on May 23, 2023, 06:40:24 PM
Would we all be as excited about this recruiting class if these players had been recruited by Coach Lottich?

Paul

I'm not sure this board could be defined as being truly "excited" about our recruits to date. I have personally gone from over optimistic to hopeful and I sense that much of the board is as cautious as I am. Still your point is valid because  if Matt had found them I doubt we would be commenting much.

historyman

Quote from: Just Sayin on May 23, 2023, 02:02:24 PM

I keep looking for the lowlight videos on each of our recruits but they don't seem to exist until they are playing for Valpo. I'm not sure how that always happens. :-(
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

David81

Quote from: 78crusader on May 23, 2023, 06:40:24 PM

Paul

I plead fan status, not that of a close student of college hoops. So....I'm hopeful because these players are being recruited by Coach Powell. I'm trusting him and his coaching staff to start finding young men who bring the kind of talent and personal qualities this program needs to revive itself.

wh

Valpo Men's Basketball Welcomes Cooper Schwieger
FRIDAY, JUNE 2, 2023

Cooper:
"The main reason I decided on Valpo was Coach Powell," Schwieger said. "He recruited and believed in me, and when he gave me an offer, I could immediately tell that he was everything I wanted in a head coach. Right then, I told him I would come play for him. The offer from Coach Powell was the peak of my basketball career so far, and one of the most exciting things that I've ever experienced."

Roger:
"Cooper is extremely underrated," Powell said. "He is someone who has similarities to Alec Peters and Drew Timme. He's a skilled big who has a chance to be really good with work and playing with a chip on his shoulder. In time, he has an opportunity to become a Valpo great."

https://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2022-23/22156/valpo-mens-basketball-welcomes-cooper-schwieger/

https://twitter.com/ValpoBasketball/status/1664778008555651074?s=20

vu72

https://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2022-23/22157/manyang-joins-valpo-basketball-program/

247 Sports had him ranked as the #50 center in the 2022 class and a three star recruit.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Just Sayin

Makes Powell look like Erik Buggs.

wh

vok22

Looks like Kaspar Sepp out of Estonia just committed to Valpo. 6'6, looks like an efficient shooter from the stats that I could find.

Edit: Just watched his highlight reel and he looks like a solid rebounder as well that is a very willing passer. I REALLY like what I see here.

Link to highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbTyzlBH0vQ

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on May 06, 2023, 11:54:13 PM
I understand Valpo has offered Kaspar Sepp:

Pleased to see Sepp now committed since he reminds me of one of my favorites, Kevin Van Wijk, with his movement inside the paint. I hope he proves to be as good.

historyman

Quote from: historyman on May 23, 2023, 09:50:00 PM
I keep looking for the lowlight videos on each of our recruits but they don't seem to exist until they are playing for Valpo. I'm not sure how that always happens. :-(
Reminder, it's okay to get excited but don't get overhyped about Valpo MBB.

justducky

Quote from: historyman on June 08, 2023, 09:01:10 AM

I am taking everything in stride and trying to prepare myself for some really ugly early season basketball. We have only about 1200+ returning minutes played by our holdovers.   :o  This is a "from the ground up" total rebuild.

vu72

Quote from: justducky on June 08, 2023, 09:33:41 AMWe have only about 1200+ returning minutes played by our holdovers.

And I doubt any of those players will see the court.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Chairback

I wouldn't be surprised if more international bigs show up. 

LB

crusader05

Big question for me remains scholarships for 2024. Do we end up with one grad transfer or none and it's going to be a case where other students are just expected or encouraged to transfer?

crusadermoe

Oh the good old days when you could sort of map out the likely starters by class year.   it's just year to year now and guesswork more than ever.

But in this case of our talent drop off and Roger's abilities to recruit it's a good thing to have the flexibility.

wh

Quote from: historyman on June 08, 2023, 09:01:10 AM

I love what I'm seeing in these new guys. Consider me officially overhyped.   ;)

JD24

Quote from: vok22 on June 08, 2023, 06:49:04 AMLooks like Kaspar Sepp out of Estonia just committed to Valpo. 6'6, looks like an efficient shooter from the stats that I could find. Edit: Just watched his highlight reel and he looks like a solid rebounder as well that is a very willing passer. I REALLY like what I see here. Link to highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbTyzlBH0vQ
The "school" he is playing for is kind of shaky but that may not make any difference in evaluating. The team(s) Fairmont is playing play in either the Junior College circuit(Santa Fe/Polk State) or post grad division (IMG). Jerome Palm came from this environment.

My guess, as with basically the remainder of the roster is that these guys will likely have to grow into being competitive in the conference.