• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Charlotte 12/11/21 @ the ARC 12 noon

Started by humbleopinion, December 11, 2021, 05:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

Valpo has never lost when I have started a thread.

Let's hope that fans will brave the wind to support the Beacons in this game which should give us a better idea of the quality of this year's team.
As far as I know everyone other than Emil should be available.
Beamin' Beacons

AB

Let's see if our guards can D up and stop/slow down Jahmir Young. 49'rs don't have any impressive wins and they are not a good offensive rebounding team. Would like to see Valpo jump them from the start! Is a double digit win in the cards today? Attendance?

VUSERF

This generation of student section is pathetic.

Myself and a few friends used to lead cheers and yelled at students who were sitting. We kept the ARC rocking, a lot changed in 8 - 10 years I guess.

IndyEIT777

How do we not know how to pass out of a double team??? Surely someone was going to start doubling up Krikke and Kithier in the post. Someone come help them out!!!

Also whoever the shooting coach on this team is needs to be fired. I'm sick of us being towards the bottom of the country in jump shot percentage!

VUSERF

Beacons looking okay. I think they are close to breaking through with this game.

I hope our mid game adjustments allow them to push through. If our shots were falling this would be a very different game.

tjjvalpo

Shots still not falling. They better start soon!

valpopal

VUSERF

Unlike many of us who like moral victories sometimes we need to score more points to actually win ;) just kidding.

Agreed on the captain obvious!

valpotx

I can't stand moronic passes, and there were way too many of those today.  Do defenders magically disappear after you run by them, or are they just going to stand still as you throw it 30 feet?  WTF...

We are not a 3 point shooting team.  Quit pretending, and get it inside or drive.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Chairback

The 1:30 and 30 sec marks were just  :censored: coaching jobs.  Just bad setups and bad shots.  Unbelievable.  And you don't put Ben in with 30 secs.  Didn't take a timeout.

nkvu

Snatched defeat from the jaws of victory once again.

Same old same old.  Just good enough to lose close.

IndyEIT777

I don't want to hear anything about playing good defense today, giving up 11-17 from 3 and over 50% from the field is not good defense.

And I am getting sick of hearing about all the good looks we're getting. Good teams connect on those good looks, we don't, this is getting ridiculous!

valpotx

I'm now worried about games against what should be vastly inferior competition at home against EMU, W&M, & PV A&M.  We are playing like crap against D-1 competition at home.  How long has it been since we've had a losing record at home after a full season?  I think that is in jeopardy this season.
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

We need to be able to find ways to win these games, especially at home.  Our rebounding margin used to be better. Our 3pt shooting differential used to be better. Unsure what to make of this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VUSERF

Agree with ValpoTX. I thought I was being very pessimistic by picking 4-3 or 3-4 as our December record.

Chairback

How do you not have Kobe in the last 2 mins when we need points.  He got in on last play.  Makes no sense.  He gets to the bucket.   

We have the players to win.  We have the talent. That is not the issue. 

VUSERF

Have to ammend this. Valpo basketball student sections are pathetic. Seeing great things from the Volleyball support.

mj

So we take the lead with a minute left and immediately give up a layup in 11 seconds. We then panic, throw the ball away and allow them to get another layup.

Is that on Lottich, the players, or both?
I believe that we will win.

valpotx

Those 2 instances were on the players.  Sheldon tried to follow Charlotte's Young around the pick, and Young just did an easy reverse direction at the 3 point line, for a straight path to the hoop.  Let him have the longer distance shot, even though he was making almost everything.  Don't give up the drive!  Taylor then gets caught under the basket, and throws through the middle of the lane, where any of 3 defenders had the potential to easily intercept, including the dude that was standing at the FT line, who ended up with the steal.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUSERF

mj

I think both on this one. Our players had a lot of chances to take control.

I have a question regarding coaching. Is Lottichs style to "let the players play"?

I have a feeling that may be why he recruits so well but does not translate to on-court success. Players are not being coached to improve on the court? Is this off base?

JD24

Quote from: Chairback on December 11, 2021, 02:06:20 PMHow do you not have Kobe in the last 2 mins when we need points.  He got in on last play.  Makes no sense.  He gets to the bucket.   
I wondered about that as well. Maybe there was a physical reason he was not in. A question which certainly should be asked by a reporter.

QuoteWe have the players to win.  We have the talent. That is not the issue.
I'm not sure it isn't.

Pgmado

I asked after the game. I'd have to go back and listen, but Matt said Kobe appeared gassed toward the end of the game. Put in Eron and Lottich though Eron gave some good minutes on the defensive end.

The reason I haven't gone back to listen to everything is because I'm not writing a story about the game. The paper made a decision earlier this week not to cover the game.

valpotx

Our Women's Soccer, Volleyball, and Football programs appear to be on track to compete year-in and year-out in their respective conferences.  We need Men's Basketball & Women's Basketball to step it up...
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUSERF

Yikes. NWI Times did not want to cover a Valpo basketball game? Is that a regular occurrence or is it relatively recent?

That seems like a really bad look for our program.

Pgmado

Quote from: VUSERF on December 11, 2021, 04:00:38 PM
Yikes. NWI Times did not want to cover a Valpo basketball game? Is that a regular occurrence or is it relatively recent?

That seems like a really bad look for our program.

You'll notice that the Post-Trib has stopped covering Valpo altogether. Has much more to do with staffing than it does anything with Valpo basketball, although I'm sure a Portage/Chesterton game gets more clicks, and if we've decided that page clicks are the thing that matters, then here we are.