• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Belmont Game No. 8 – Thursday, Dec. 1, 7 p.m. CT

Started by FWalum, December 01, 2022, 01:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

The apathy on this board is bordering on the ridiculous. I guess I will start my first Game Thread.

It will be interesting to see what the turnout is for Belmont's inaugural MVC men's basketball game. I expect the environment to be tough and hope that the Beacons can be competitive. I think the last game proved that we have talent on this team.
Keys to victory:
Shoot fewer than 18 3's
Get to the line. Shoot at least 20 free throws
Score more than Belmont in the paint. We should have a major advantage against their bigs.
Take care of the ball, 10 or fewer TO's
Limit fouls while still playing hard nosed defense. Less than 17 fouls
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: FWalum on December 01, 2022, 01:26:52 PM
The apathy on this board is bordering on the ridiculous. I guess I will start my first Game Thread.

It will be interesting to see what the turnout is for Belmont's inaugural MVC men's basketball game. I expect the environment to be tough and hope that the Beacons can be competitive. I think the last game proved that we have talent on this team.
Keys to victory:
Shoot fewer than 18 3's
Get to the line. Shoot at least 20 free throws
Score more than Belmont in the paint. We should have a major advantage against their bigs.
Take care of the ball, 10 or fewer TO's
Limit fouls while still playing hard nosed defense. Less than 17 fouls

I watched them play against Lipscomb and our former guy.  Jacob was playing in the post and was relatively effective against their bigs because they aren't very big.  They start 6'9", 2 6'7". 1 6'6, 1 6'2 and 1 6'0.  As a result I would expect to see two points on the floor for us and not much action for our big 3.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on December 01, 2022, 02:43:56 PMJacob was playing in the post and was relatively effective against their bigs because they aren't very big.
Did Ognocovich stretch their defense with his 3?

Quote from: vu72 on December 01, 2022, 02:43:56 PMAs a result I would expect to see two points on the floor for us and not much action for our big 3.
Sounds like their talent will dictate what we can do and who we can play.

Quote from: FWalum on December 01, 2022, 01:26:52 PMThe apathy on this board is bordering on the ridiculous.

Yes and I plead guilty! With that said a string of solid performances could get my blood boiling again.

FWalum

Quote from: justducky on December 01, 2022, 03:22:15 PM
Quote from: vu72 on December 01, 2022, 02:43:56 PMJacob was playing in the post and was relatively effective against their bigs because they aren't very big.
Did Ognocovich stretch their defense with his 3?

Quote from: vu72 on December 01, 2022, 02:43:56 PMAs a result I would expect to see two points on the floor for us and not much action for our big 3.
Sounds like their talent will dictate what we can do and who we can play.

Quote from: FWalum on December 01, 2022, 01:26:52 PMThe apathy on this board is bordering on the ridiculous.

Yes and I plead guilty! With that said a string of solid performances could get my blood boiling again.

Jacob only took one three against Belmont and missed, but was 7 of 9 from 2 point, so they pounded it inside and beat Belmont by 2, 77-75. Jacob leads Lipscomb in scoring 18.4 ppg and is shooting 72.9% from 2 and is not shooting the 3 very well at 31.3%

Watched some of the Belmont Georgia State game and Belmont plays a perimeter 5 out or 4 out motion offense and looks more comfortable playing when opposition plays on the perimeter. They looked very beatable if you make them score in the 60's.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: justducky on December 01, 2022, 03:22:15 PMDid Ognocovich stretch their defense with his 3?

Actually, no.  He was 0-1 from the 3 but 7/10 for the game with 6 boards. Lipscomb won the rivalry game, 77-75.  He definitely was one that got away.  Shepperd is Belmont's stud. At 6'6" I would expect either Kobe or Quinton to get the assignment.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Quote from: justducky on December 01, 2022, 03:22:15 PMYes and I plead guilty! With that said a string of solid performances could get my blood boiling again.

I agree.

I'm sure there are many other fans who feel the same way
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VUSWIM08-12

Looking ok so far , edwards is so hot n cold , would like to see better decision making from him. Acts like another edwards I've seen play...lol

chgovalpofan

I don't think I can watch. We were down 1 when I started watching and now we are down 11.  Where are our shooters??

VUSERF

mj

Well we're only down 6 at the half. We can win this game.
I believe that we will win.

AlaskaCrusader19

So much standing around on offense. There's just zero off ball action.

covufan

We used to be a decent rebounding and 3pt shooting team. What has happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hailcrusaders

#CrusadersForever

valpopal

Quote from: covufan on December 01, 2022, 07:50:58 PM
Fixed it. Even the tv announcers pointed out how Valpo used to be a well-respected program.

vu72

Quote from: covufan on December 01, 2022, 07:50:58 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you talking about?  Only outrebounded by 8 with 3 to play and shooting!  Only out-shoot by 13 3's. We are in deep $hit. I'm no coach, but there must be a reason why we have a terrible shooting night, consistently, while our opponent consistently shoots "lights out".  Might it possibly be our defense?  Asking for a community.

tjjvalpo

Once again, we can't defend the three and still also give up to many offensive rebounds. How can both be true?

VALPO LI

Shine on Vu

mj

Considering they made 15 3 pointers (compared to 2 for us) and out rebounded us by 8, it's amazing we only lost by 12.

We shot terrible but our offense wasn't all that bad.
Our defense is killing us though.

Great to see Palm have a coming out party. He could be really good if he continues to develop.
I believe that we will win.

AB

Yeah didn't close out and contest the 3's. Too many good looks and the same play ran off the inbounds twice for 3's. Can't trade two's for three's and win. We know that's Belmont's game for the last 20 years, make them dribble drive and force runners. What's clear. Jerome Palm needs to play 30 minutes a game and should never shoot a three pointer again this season. They guy is good at carving out space in the paint and rebounding, put backs etc. Way better than Krikke!!!. Our offense needs to play through Krikke and King every time down. We know teams are gonna double Krikke and take him out but he needs to get a touch every time down. If only.....Nick Edwards, DaVario or Preston had a consistent jump shot you could respect on the two man game (screen roll) with Krikke.
Have we given up on Palese? Also we need to get Barrett 20 minutes a game. He's a shooter and needs minutes. Probably our only reliable shooter from deep. He won't get confidence with 5 minutes a game.

vufan75

Quote from: AB on December 01, 2022, 09:01:16 PM
Yeah didn't close out and contest the 3's. Too many good looks and the same play ran off the inbounds twice for 3's. Can't trade two's for three's and win. We know that's Belmont's game for the last 20 years, make them dribble drive and force runners. What's clear. Jerome Palm needs to play 30 minutes a game and should never shoot a three pointer again this season. They guy is good at carving out space in the paint and rebounding, put backs etc. Way better than Krikke!!!. Our offense needs to play through Krikke and King every time down. We know teams are gonna double Krikke and take him out but he needs to get a touch every time down. If only.....Nick Edwards, DaVario or Preston had a consistent jump shot you could respect on the two man game (screen roll) with Krikke.
Have we given up on Palese? Also we need to get Barrett 20 minutes a game. He's a shooter and needs minutes. Probably our only reliable shooter from deep. He won't get confidence with 5 minutes a game.
[emoji817]....many great points in AB's post. Could not agree more!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Pgmado

Quote from: AB on December 01, 2022, 09:01:16 PMHave we given up on Palese

He's got a thumb injury that he suffered in first game of the year. He'd definitely be out there if healthy.

valpopal

It was interesting to follow the conversations by the announcers this evening, which unintentionally presented a contrasting narrative by stating the obvious. They complimented the Belmont team for stepping up to a tougher league but not being out-classed, instead ready to compete evenly. [Valpo has been in the MVC for six years and the same cannot be said.] They also spoke highly of the Belmont arena, which looks great even though it is 20 years old, and even praised the Belmont practice facility. [No comment needed here.] When speaking about Valpo, they had to go back 25 years to Bryce's shot and recap the legacy of conference wins or tournament appearances under the Drews. [Basically, viewers would get the idea that Valpo is a ghost program whose greatness is all in the past.]

hckjag

Quote from: valpopal on December 01, 2022, 09:14:09 PM
It was interesting to follow the conversations by the announcers this evening, which unintentionally presented a contrasting narrative by stating the obvious. They complimented the Belmont team for stepping up to a tougher league but not being out-classed, instead ready to compete evenly. [Valpo has been in the MVC for six years and the same cannot be said.] They also spoke highly of the Belmont arena, which looks great even though it is 20 years old, and even praised the Belmont practice facility. [No comment needed here.] When speaking about Valpo, they had to go back 25 years to Bryce's shot and recap the legacy of conference wins or tournament appearances under the Drews. [Basically, viewers would get the idea that Valpo is a ghost program whose greatness is all in the past.]

I liked the few times they tried to get some excitement back into the broadcast. "And here come the Beacons cutting the lead down to 8" ...then Belmont probably went down and swished a three pointer.

Never played basketball but i need both hands to count how many times the opponent gets a scramble play broken into a wide open three point look. Yet VALPO only gets maybe one of those a game. Maybe.

Would teams shoot even better against us in a zone defense? I'd just change it up to change it up. I mean If everything I'm doing is wrong. Then the opposite would have to be right  ???

FWalum

Quote from: hckjag on December 01, 2022, 10:30:10 PMWould teams shoot even better against us in a zone defense? I'd just change it up to change it up. I mean If everything I'm doing is wrong. Then the opposite would have to be right 
Typically you would not play a zone against a team full of perimeter shooters such as Belmont. When Belmont wanted us to burn clock at the end of the game they switched to a zone to stop our penetration. I am surprised they didn't switch to a zone sooner to prevent Kobe from scoring.
Quote from: hckjag on December 01, 2022, 10:30:10 PMNever played basketball but i need both hands to count how many times the opponent gets a scramble play broken into a wide open three point look.
When you are behind and start gambling on defense your rotations can break down and that is what happens. Second guessing yourself creates hesitant play, so when you are not confident in what you are doing it has a tendency to allow the opponent that split second advantage on 50/50 balls.

elephtheria47

I had the game on but couldnt watch it. Spent all my time salivating and then researching their arena. Great sightlines. Suites. Active student body. What a place to play.