• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Elon Phoenix @ ARC Sunday afternoon 1pm 12/18

Started by talksalot, December 17, 2022, 07:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

The Elon Phoenix... Winless against D-1 programs this year... 

Reading the story about their last game against the Blue Hose of Presbyterian...

The Elon University men's basketball team could not overcome a late second-half rally by Presbyterian as the Phoenix suffered a 69-63 setback at the hands of the Blue Hose on Thursday, Dec. 15, at the Templeton Center.

Sean Halloran had 15 points to lead the Phoenix (2-9) while Sam Sherry added 14 for the maroon and gold. Zac Ervin contributed with 11 points off the bench to conclude the double-digit scorers for Elon.

Owen McCormack had a game-high 21 points to pace Presbyterian (3-9) while also grabbing seven rebounds. Marquis Barnett added 11 points and a team-high eight rebounds for the Blue Hose.

THE RUNDOWN
• The Phoenix opened the game with a 12-0 lead. Max Mackinnon and Sherry each scored baskets before Halloran knocked down a three-pointer to make it 7-0. Another bucket by Mackinnon pushed it to 9-0 before the first media timeout. Three more free throws by Sherry and Torrence Watson put Elon ahead 12-0 before Presbyterian's first basket at the 13:37 mark.
• A three-pointer by John Bowen III with 12:57 left in the first half put the Phoenix up 13, 15-2, before the Blue Hose went on a 14-2 run over the next four minutes to come within one. A three-pointer by McCormack made it a one-point game, 17-16, with 6:53 left in the opening period.
• The Phoenix responded with a 12-1 run to go ahead 29-17 after a Halloran three with 3:51 left in the first half. The Blue Hose answered with an 8-2 run to make it a 31-25 capped by another McCormack three-pointer. Elon however held on to the lead going into the locker room after the first-half buzzer.
• The Blue Hose brought their deficit down to five, 38-33, to start the second half, but Elon came back with a 10-1 run to move in front 48-34 at the 13:50 mark. Ervin scored eight points during that stretch including a pair of three-pointers.
• Elon held a 10-point lead, 51-41, with 11:28 left in the game, but a 12-2 run by the Blue Hose led to a tie game at 53-all on after a jumper by Terrell Ard Jr. with 5:41 left in the game. The Phoenix pulled back ahead, 56-53, on a Sherry layup and a free throw by RJ Noord Jr. before a pair of free throws by McCormack brought Presbyterian within one with 4:12 remaining.
• Presbyterian took a 58-56 lead – its first of the game – on a three from McCormack with 2:19 left. The Blue Hose then expanded their lead on a jumper and a pair of free throws to move ahead 62-56, forcing Elon into a timeout with 1:53 left in the game.
• McCormack added two more free throws to make it a nine-point game for the Blue Hose with 54 seconds left, but the Phoenix extended the game with fouls to force Presbyterian to make free throws. A three-pointer by Ervin made it a five-point game with 18 seconds left, but that would be as close as the maroon and gold would get as the contest ended with the 69-63 final.

NOTES
• Halloran matched his career-high with four steals in the contest for the Phoenix. The Orlando, Fla., native has had three games this season with four steals and six total multi-steal contests.
• Mackinnon nearly had a double-double with eight points and a season-high six assists in the contest.
• Ervin's 11 points off the pine helped the Phoenix overtake the Blue Hose in bench points, 21-19.
• Watson returned to the Phoenix after missing the previous game due to injury. The St. Louis, native had seven points and three rebounds in 14 minutes.
• In a tale of two halves, the Phoenix held the Blue Hose to only 29.6 percent shooting in the opening half – the lowest percentage for an opponent all season. Presbyterian however shot 54.5 percent in the second period while outscoring the Phoenix 41-28.

"A Team with personnel issues" would be my take on their statistics...

https://elonphoenix.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2022-23?path=mbball

They've played 11 games.  ONE player has started all 11; and 9 different players have started at least one game.  Those 9 players are all averaging at least 14 minutes per game.

Their NET ranking is #353.  the CAA NET Ranking is #23.

OH, I should mention this is the first of a two-game Indiana road trip for them... They go to Assembly Hall in Bloomington on Tuesday.  Ouch.

truth219

I don't understand why we have such a weak out of conference schedule?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

truth219

Losing either of the next two games are fireable offenses

usc4valpo

vu72

I guess if it's OK for IU to schedule them it should be OK for us.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Elon sounds like an ingredient the Stooges would include in some beverage to honor duty and humanity.

VUSWIM08-12

Truth219, I wish it would be a fireable offense , but it won't be. No backbone from the University, they've just thrown the season away. We'll be lucky to win 6-8 league games.

We open as 9 point favorites against Elon. I'm happy with a win...

Valpo 68
Elon 64

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpo Joe

I do remember the Original Valpo Joe - way back when Clean Gene Barrow coached the Crusaders.  The Hill Top was rocking and the support that the MBB team was given was awesome. Tom Smith, Dick Jones etc were fun to watch.  Now we wonder if we can beat Elon or Stonehill. What the hell has happened :'(

VULB#62

Quote from: Valpo Joe on December 17, 2022, 08:38:57 PM
I do remember the Original Valpo Joe - way back when Clean Gene Barrow coached the Crusaders.  The Hill Top was rocking and the support that the MBB team was given was awesome. Tom Smith, Dick Jones etc were fun to watch.  Now we wonder if we can beat Elon or Stonehill. What the hell has happened :'(

And Hilltop was packed regularly with 3,000-4,000 fans. I was there for every game for four years. Loved seeing Smitty dribble through the entire E'Ville team that included Jerry Sloan and Larry Hume to dish off for a thunder dunk by 6'1" Steve Cook (All American in the 110 hurdles as well). There were 4,000 students on campus then, and I'll bet at least 2,000 were at most games. The 11 fraternities competed over who had the biggest attendance at games. Certainly, a different era.

Yeah, I'm living in the past. But why can't that happen now as well?  Wait!  It has happened.  Butler games in the 90s. Rowdy's bunch v. GB for the Horizon title. The AP-led team going to the NIT.

I do believe we can get back to that. Fans just need a reason to show up. Winning, competitive basketball provides that. But it provides so much more. The campus cohesiveness, the communal spirit all elevate.

I've been reading some of the  comments by recent NLI signees in a variety of sports and they cite the campus culture as one reason why they chose Valpo. Imagine that environment boosted.  Classes and study are humdrum wherever you go to school. It's the extras, the surrounding environment that makes the difference. Not only athletes, but students of every pursuit would be even more attracted to the campus because it is a vibrant place in which to exist for four exciting years.

But right now, that element is missing. Few, if any students, it appears, care about the fact that there is a basketball game against a team called Alone or Elin or Elon or Ole, whatever.  And few local older fans seem to care as well.

truth219

Kouts pep band is playing today.  Exciting

covufan

After going down 21-16,  Valpo made an impressive 26-8 run to close the half (pending technical). Need more runs like this in MVC play

truth219

Good thing Elon is not a good basketball team.

vu84v2

Winning by 5 at home to one of the 25 worst teams in D1 is not impressive and will do nothing to generate interest (let alone excitement).

valpopal

Elon shot 53% on 2-point goals and 90% from the free throw line. Why in the world did they take 27 shots from 3-point range, where they were hitting only 11%? If they stayed inside, they could have won this game.  :crazy: 

valpopal

Attendance was 1057, lowest of the year. Does the crowd number dip below 1000 for the Stonehill game on Wednesday or does the Community Game promo save the day?

humbleopinion

Quote from: valpopal on December 18, 2022, 03:23:07 PM
Attendance was 1057, lowest of the year. Does the crowd number dip below 1000 for the Stonehill game on Wednesday or does the Community Game promo save the day?

On the positive side, there were no lines at the concession stands or the bathrooms at halftime.
Beamin' Beacons

talksalot

There will be a different band at the ARC for the Stonehill game... Chesterton. "The Trojan Guard"...50+ members...

BTW... the OU for the Elon game was 137.   That's all I'll say about that.

AB

From the 14 minute mark to about the 4 minute mark Valpo scored 6 points. The mark of a good team, we extend the lead from 16 to 22, 24 points. We stoped playing hard on defense, allowed Elon open looks on the baseline drives to the basket. Our three point shooting was welcome but was fools gold as we stoped getting touches inside to Villeen, Palm, Krikke. They don't seem to know how to use him still. Why was Bayu not playing in the second half, develop more? Since Elon doubled Kirkke today and most teams will going forward. Why don't we let him get the ball from the top of the key and let him operate to the basket from there. It will make it harder for teams to double him at the top of the key. The last four minutes were very sloppy. Very poor execution getting the ball in and advancing. Nick played the whole game and no Preston, DeAveiro. Brights spots.....Connor Barrett is our best shooter and needs 25 minutes a game, and he's a pretty solid defender.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

covufan

From TV it looked more like 1000 eyes.

This team will be lucky to win 5 MVC games

truth219

This is the worst Valpo team I have seen in 20-+ years

vu72

Pretty sure the December graduation ceremony was at the same time, in the Chapel.  Maybe the grads out drew the basketball team!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

Really don't care the perception of it, Ivan  vujic would have been a better hire than Matt.  Guaranteed we would be competitive.  He actually had coaching experience! 
CRUSADERS!!!