• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What will the decision be?

Started by may know, March 02, 2023, 07:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will there be a change at HC?

Yes
8 (38.1%)
No
13 (61.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: March 05, 2023, 07:57:25 PM

Dr. T

What's the ol' idiom declare ?... "No news is good news." Recognizing the relativity of the word "good" - I suppose we can take the "good" news, either way, we'd like ... ???

justducky

Quote from: historyman on March 09, 2023, 03:11:18 PMTime to get on with your life, okay. Believe me! Nothing is going to happen with Coach Lottich. All is being handled privately.

Got it. Should we sound the death knell now or wait until fan interest has fallen to zero? All of us would like to pay our final respects so would you like to take the honor of opening our basketball program eulogy thread?

Valpo89

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 09, 2023, 02:45:53 PM
Absolutely unreal we have gone a week without a peep. Not even a "We'll be meeting with Coach Lottich soon to discuss the direction of the program."
I have a feeling there will be no "peeps," and it will be business as usual.
Apathy will continue.

VULB#62

Look, both Smart and Padilla have certain public responsibilities with respect to the end of the season. Smart is at Hoops in the Heartland where he damn well should definitely be. Padilla may be there as well.

Don't think for a second that they have put the Lottich decision way back on a back burner until these responsibilities are completed.  Give these guys some credit for some realization that right now our women need total attention but behind the scenes there is activity. Any delay may well be just for one game, but a few days either way will not make a difference as to whether an announcement/communication is made and John Calipari immediately bails on Kentucky and philanthropically comes to Valpo to turn our program around.  🙄

Shoot, The Final Four is weeks away and there is plenty of time to state a position and either open the doors for applicants (and there will be many) or stand behind their man. Our impatience don't mean squat to Smart or Padilla, and they don't owe us a friggin thing until decisions are firmly made along their timeline and not ours. Let's breathe deeply, lower our blood pressure and wait. It's not gonna be long. Patience my friends.

VULB#62

What will the decision be?

Swami predicts:

Dormitory upgrades, reallocation of budget lines to upgrade faculty compensation as well as student aid in conjunction with the hiring of a new head men's basketball coach all in motion by the fall of 2023.

The arena feasibility study will recommend a new multi-use arena that will be built on the Porter Hospital land in partnership with the city and a major regional business entity whose name will adorn the facility that will seat 5,000 for BB games and concerts. The arena will include a conference/convention center and possibly an adjoining hotel. Monster Trucks and Vince Gill will visit Valparaiso in 2025. 

The Swami knows all, and he envisions Valpo going all-in and winning. Take it to the bank, my friends.

Bumbo

The longer this goes the less likely a change will be made.

Cal just sacked their guy one day after their season ended. We are now a week in. 

Bumbo

Just Sayin

It's simple. No decision, no season tickets or walk-ins to games.
That's an easy decision. Plus you won't have to get frustrated with what you will see next year if Matt is retained. Who needs that as a fan? There hasn't been any progress, nicely or otherwise.

Money talks.

usc4valpo

I like where 62 is going and maybe there is a level of leadership efficiency with Small  going on. Let's assume Valpo's women's  team loses tonight. Then a 3 hour drive from Moline back to Valpo.  Then the next day, within an hour, Lottich and Evans get canned. Evans at 9 AM. Lottich at 9:30 AM. Boom.

VULB#62

USC, wanna edit your post below???

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 09, 2023, 07:34:41 PMI like where 62 is going and maybe there is a level of leadership efficiency with Small  going on. Let's assume Valpo's women's  team loses tonight. Then a 3 hour drive from Moline back to Valpo.  Then the next day, within an hour, Lottich and Evans get canned. Evans at 9 AM. Lottich at 9:30 AM. Boom.
The one hope I have in Lottich being replaced is that the school is waiting for the women to finish their tournament before making any announcement...not necessarily about the women's coach...just Lottich.

As has been mentioned though, coaches have been fired as they walked off the court over the last few days. Not sure why Valpo can't do what is customary.

historyman

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 09, 2023, 04:01:01 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 09, 2023, 02:45:53 PM
Absolutely unreal we have gone a week without a peep. Not even a "We'll be meeting with Coach Lottich soon to discuss the direction of the program."
I have a feeling there will be no "peeps," and it will be business as usual.
Apathy will continue.

WRONG!!!

There's somw peeps.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

Ok, two embarrassing blowouts, seasons are over, time to make changes. This is embarrassing and depressing.

valpopal

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 09, 2023, 04:46:11 PM
Smart is at Hoops in the Heartland where he damn well should definitely be. Padilla may be there as well.
Padilla has been in Washington this week. He was making the rounds of all the Indiana politicians' offices, apparently from the look of this picture, not to boast about the success of the branding change from Crusaders to Beacons.
[tweet]1633917884563968000[/tweet]

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: valpopal on March 10, 2023, 09:47:49 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on March 09, 2023, 04:46:11 PM
Smart is at Hoops in the Heartland where he damn well should definitely be. Padilla may be there as well.
Padilla has been in Washington this week. He was making the rounds of all the Indiana politicians' offices, apparently from the look of this picture, not to boast about the success of the branding change from Crusaders to Beacons.
[tweet]1633917884563968000[/tweet]
That logo was so much better than the lighthouse....

may know

I was really confident throughout the season a change would be made after the season ended.

I'm getting really nervous now.

historyman

Quote from: may know on March 10, 2023, 10:16:15 AM
I was really confident throughout the season a change would be made after the season ended.

Again, it's time to get on with your life. There will be no coaching change at Valpo this off season. No reason for you or anyone else to get your hopes up.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vufan75

Quote from: historyman on March 10, 2023, 11:43:16 AM
Quote from: may know on March 10, 2023, 10:16:15 AM

Again, it's time to get on with your life. There will be no coaching change at Valpo this off season. No reason for you or anyone else to get your hopes up.
Agree. [emoji3581]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

wh

A damaging, unforced error, orchestrated by a faction of myopic adults and petulant children, manipulating a weak, ineffective interim president helplessly paralyzed in fear. Where are these people now? The interim has presumably returned to her day job in accounting or whatever. The junior social justice warriors are long gone and hopefully living productive lives devoid of Marxist influence. As to the myopic adults, I would suspect not much has changed - still congregating in the faculty lounge, blaming everyone but themselves for the current financial crisis and everything else unfair in the world.

valpopal

Quote from: wh on March 10, 2023, 01:16:51 PM

A damaging, unforced error, orchestrated by a faction of myopic adults and petulant children, manipulating a weak, ineffective interim president helplessly paralyzed in fear. Where are these people now? The interim has presumably returned to her day job in accounting or whatever. The junior social justice warriors are long gone and hopefully living productive lives devoid of Marxist influence. As to the myopic adults, I would suspect not much has changed - still congregating in the faculty lounge, blaming everyone but themselves for the current financial crisis and everything else unfair in the world.
A couple clarifications, WH, that contradict your comments.

1) I can assure you removal of the Crusader mascot and nickname was Padilla's decision, and he is proud of it. The interim president made the announcement months after Padilla was hired and only a couple weeks before he took over. She would not have made the announcement without his approval. To do so would have been unconscionable for an interim with only 15 days left before departing. It was just more politically expedient for the announcement to come before Padilla officially moved into his office. If anyone manipulated her for his own sake, it was Padilla.

2) Sami Khorbotly, the major faculty spokesperson in favor of the sale and ally of Padilla, quoted in both the Chicago Tribune and the New York Times, was also the most outspoken faculty member promoting the removal of the Crusader. Paul even had him as a guest on Union Street Hoops, and one of Sami's main arguments for dropping the Crusader was...wait for it...the change would increase enrollment, which did not happen, and that is the same argument he is making for the sale of the artwork.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on March 10, 2023, 01:46:26 PMI can assure you removal of the Crusader mascot and nickname was Padilla's decision, and he is proud of it.

Let me take a wild, wild guess: You don't like President Padilla.  Just a guess... ::)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on March 10, 2023, 01:59:01 PM
Quote from: valpopal on March 10, 2023, 01:46:26 PMI can assure you removal of the Crusader mascot and nickname was Padilla's decision, and he is proud of it.
Let me take a wild, wild guess: You don't like President Padilla.  Just a guess... ::)
Just making a clarification based upon fact. There is nothing personal in my comment nor in my agreement or disagreement with his decisions. Maybe that's how you operate, but I don't. I disagreed with many of the faculty, some my best friends, who joined Padilla and supported removal of the Crusader.

justducky

Quote from: wh on March 10, 2023, 01:16:51 PM

Thank you and if you need a hand getting down from your soapbox I'd be glad to help.  :)

Meanwhile, I have had continual problems with my ESPN+ subscription and am wondering if I should even renew it should Lottich stay? I only viewed about half of our BB games this year along with a little VB and portions of a couple FB. With no bottom in sight for our BB program should we cut back this unnecessary expense to make certain to balance our own budgets? I'm also thinking that maybe a full year away from basketball might completely cure my lifelong addiction? Thoughts?

VULB#62

Pal's version of the nickname is supported in our old threads on that topic.  Padilla made it clear that the final choice of our new identity would be HIS. He was gonna put his stamp on the university, dammit. He unfortunately chose Lighthouses, er, Beacons.  I'm sure he also had final say on the two DunePuppies we now have as complementary (huh?) mascots. Hey, no way do you want to have a comical lighthouse or a guy with his hair on fire running around the ARC, right? This does not change the fact that before Padilla got here, the Crusader was already toast as a result of the movement that began way back when the blow-up ARC Crusader disappeared never to return. Btw, that thing was so cool, because he was so damn big.  He really was impressive on TV.

I know. I am posting this reply at the risk of giving USC a massive mascot-induced coronary, but it is what it is. 🙄

Let me add this as an edit. His ultimate decision shocked me. Why?

>> He came from a Catholic institution that was known as the Blue freakin DEMONS for god's sake.
>> He is an inveterate sports fan and understands the athletic context of a nickname, identity and mascot. He damn well knew that a school's nickname applies to, and only would be used for, athletic teams, not the university as a whole.
>> He is not ministerial, evangelical or whatever; he's more of a business person.

My only conclusion is that, coming in new, he felt he nneeded to show a certain constituency that he was in their corner. But he inexplicably went too far. The name change faction would have been perfectly happy with Dune Hawks as long as the bird mascot didn't wear armor.

humbleopinion

Quote from: justducky on March 10, 2023, 02:12:01 PMMeanwhile, I have had continual problems with my ESPN+ subscription

Thanks for the reminder.  I always cancel my subscription after Arch Madness.
Beamin' Beacons