• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

WBB - 2/18/12

Started by jack, February 18, 2012, 04:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

What a great effort from our Lady Crusaders. A much needed, and well desered win. A total team effort, and win. Hope they celebrate this one tonight.

vuweathernerd

followed this one on twitter a little bit. huge win for the ladies. congrats!

valporun

It was a dominant performance from the start. Was really surprised by what the ladies did this afternoon. A lot of good jump shots, and nice passing game  going on. Honestly, after watching today's game, I mentioned to StlVUFan, in the chat, that I thought Laura Richards looks more like a John Stockton/Steve Nash-type of point guard that passes first and shoots when necessary.

Crusader03

For all the criticism I've gotten, I hope I will get some props for predicting this.  I've said over the last two weeks that we would win out up to Green Bay, setting up a show down.  Well, well, well...look what we have here...a show down. 

We beat Green Bay and then my NCAA tourney talk doesn't seem quite so far-fetched, does it fellas?

IndyValpo

Quote from: Crusader03 on February 18, 2012, 09:32:44 PM
For all the criticism I've gotten, I hope I will get some props for predicting this.  I've said over the last two weeks that we would win out up to Green Bay, setting up a show down.  Well, well, well...look what we have here...a show down. 

We beat Green Bay and then my NCAA tourney talk doesn't seem quite so far-fetched, does it fellas?
Perfect prediction, except for that loss earlier in the week.  And, a victory over GB does not remove the "far-fetch" for NCAA tourney talk. 

Crusader03

Nevertheless, still a showdown.

IndyValpo

Help me understand.  The ladies dominate the entire game, big lead the whole way,  win by 23, and we still play 3 girls 40 minutes.  Why? How is this developing the team?

valporun

IndyValpo, how do you possibly balance minutes for everyone when you only have one or two players who can come in off the bench because they aren't apart of the M.A.S.H. unit?

IndyValpo

Quote from: valporun on February 20, 2012, 12:13:29 PM
IndyValpo, how do you possibly balance minutes for everyone when you only have one or two players who can come in off the bench because they aren't apart of the M.A.S.H. unit?
Not asking about balance...however, if you want to know how....you take 200 minutes and divide by the number of players and then substitute in a manner that would attempt to balance things out.  That, however, is not my question or desire.

How, with 8 playable players, do you win by 20, lead by 15+ most of the game and play #7 and #8 8 minutes total and three players 40 minutes?  Just seems like we had an opportunity to rest some people with no chance of blowing the game.  We seem to get in a loop where Freeman doesn't trust his lower bench players so he doesn't play them and they never get better to where he will use them because they never play.....happens most every year.

valporun

I agree with you, in terms of the trusting his bench players to do some development during the game, but is Carr capable of ball control as a point guard, can Horton really do anything good yet,is Horton as physical or get to the ball as Varner is, and is Jansone more of a liability than was spoken of when Freeman recruited her? I always preach this about high school recruits, "They can do everything they want to in high school, but it won't translate the same in the college game." I mean we see this on both sides of basketball. The men's team always has someone who can "jump out of the gym", but then they get to VU, and never show that ability for "jump out of the gym" to really prove anything. On the women's side, we hear of a girl who can score 20 points a game with ease, led her school in all-time, season, and game scoring, but never really get an idea from some of the locals about the kind of schools or competition they play against during the season.

jack

I think the only question I had about the rotation this past game is, regarding Jansone. I'm not sure why she didn't see more minutes. With the lead we had, we could have easily got her more minutes, and subbed in and out the others. Until she gets some possitive game time minutes, it's unclear how much she'll contribute. Horton just flat isn't ready for any kind of minutes, and Timmerman re-aggrevated her neck early on and didn't need to be out there. I thought Carr did a nice job of handling the ball, and is probably our second best option at ball control. Both she and Richards were dishing out some nice passes and keeping everyone ingaged in the action. I like the toughness of our back court. They never give up. This was probably our best defensive effort this season. I hate to say it but, even with the injuries, I wonder where would could be right now in conference play if Ladd would have seen her obligation through, and stuck it out.

IndyValpo

Quote from: jack on February 20, 2012, 04:13:44 PMHorton just flat isn't ready for any kind of minutes
So you are telling me, we someone, in the program for almost two years, who isn't ready to play more than the last 1:39 of a 23 point blow out!  That is kind of sad.

Crusader03

When you're 7-17 overall, coaches don't like to take a lot of chances with 15 point leads. 

jack

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 20, 2012, 07:59:16 PM
Quote from: jack on February 20, 2012, 04:13:44 PMHorton just flat isn't ready for any kind of minutes
So you are telling me, we someone, in the program for almost two years, who isn't ready to play more than the last 1:39 of a 23 point blow out!  That is kind of sad.

We'll, It was about a concusion early on. I can't imagine that's still an issue, but I'm no doctor. I think her not playing is as much her choice, as it is the coaching staff. I wonder that about the other players riding the pines. I see a group of ladies that competed and played well in highschool. As others have mentioned, the next level isn't for everyone. When you see players that are capable of walking around off the bench at home games, but haven't seen a minute of play this regular season, you really have to ask yourself why, and just how much more time do they need to heal what's keeping them from playing. We've heard nothing about any of them. Will Adams be a 5th year player? Will Lang and Calloway move on after the season ends? Is Horton ready to play at this level? The big question I have is, are we looking around anywhere to replace the void we'll have without Ladd next season? Too many questions - not enough answers. I think the world of the grit and fight the players we're able to floor this season have displayed. The one's that will remain will draw off of this to make them better players next season. I worry about the uncertainty, and the plan that should be in place by now to get them some legitimate help next season. If all we plan on bringing in next year are guards, as it appears, then we are in for another, very long season.

IndyValpo

Oops 0-2!  We did not win out and a 72-36 blow out lost.  Please don't make any predictions for the Men's Tourney

Crusader03

Quote from: IndyValpo on February 23, 2012, 08:50:05 PM

Oops 0-2!  We did not win out and a 72-36 blow out lost.  Please don't make any predictions for the Men's Tourney

Sad to see you enjoying a VU loss...bet you couldn't wait to get here to rub in the loss.  What a fan you are.

IndyValpo

Hey I'm just responding to your post wanting props for your prediction. I am giving you the props you asked for.  Had you actually nailed this prediction, trust me, I would have given you credit.  Don't ask for something then all wound up when you get it!