• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Tommy Kurth

Started by vufan75, October 12, 2012, 04:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vufan75

Per the Valpo athletic website, Tommy Kurth has been deemed medically unable to play for the Crusaders. I wish him all the best as he deals with his personal medical issues.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2012-13/12060/kurth-deemed-medically-unable-to-compete/ 

vuweathernerd

Quote from: vufan75 on October 12, 2012, 04:22:32 PM
Per the Valpo athletic website, Tommy Kurth has been deemed medically unable to play for the Crusaders. I wish him all the best as he deals with his personal medical issues.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2012-13/12060/kurth-deemed-medically-unable-to-compete/ 

i like that the staff is letting him retain his scholarship and to continue working with the program (in what i assume will be more of a student manager type role). rotten luck, but unfortunately, that's life sometimes.

vubballfan10

I feel really bad for Kurth.  This is a guy who showed flashes of being a very good point guard in his freshman season, but injuries have derailed him since.  He continues to be a hard worker, and will still be a valuable member of the team in terms of leadership.

This means that until Dority is eligible, Buggs will have to play HUGE minutes at point guard, and we will probably be some of Kenney at point guard until Dority is eligible.

milanmiracle

I am very happy that Tommy Kurth is allowed to keep his scholarship and still remain involved with the team. There are some things Valpo does the right way and that should make us all appreciate VU even more than we already do. While I didn't think he could contribute much on the court even when healthy, it's sad and disappointing that he couldn't prove me wrong. Best of luck to Tommy!
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

humbleopinion

It finally comes out the extent of his injuries.  It's clear that we couldn't see his potential after his freshman year.  I know that last year we were all scratching our heads wondering about how he was recruited to play Div I basketball.  I guess we weren't seeing the player who had been recruited.

I'm glad he is getting a good education on which he can build the next stage of his life.
Beamin' Beacons

vubballfan10

How on earth did Kurth play more minutes than Broekhoff during their Freshman season (18.1 to 15.4 for Broekhoff)?  I know they its not fair to compare different positions, but I'm certainly surprised about that statistic.

KL31NY

According to Paul Oren's twitter account, we can expect a Kurth feature in tomorrow's Times. He posted a few details about what Tommy's been dealing with, and you can simply check your news feed or the paper for the details. I feel a little queasy after reading them.

Update: Article link in case you have yet to read http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/vu-guard-tommy-kurth-deemed-medically-unable-to-compete-after/article_45efed72-211e-5e71-8415-1ce0f0ef9853.html
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpopal

I am sorry to hear Tommy's health problems continue, but I am pleased to see the support he is receiving from his fellow players, the coaches, and the university. From all indications I have heard, he is an outstanding young man and his maintaining connection to the team benefits everyone.

Moving forward, this situation adds even more to the possibilities of next year's class. Along with our 2013 freshmen--Alec Peters, Jubril Adekoya, Nick Davidson, Lexus Williams, and Clay Yeo--as well as the 2013 eligibility of transfer David Chadwick, we now have two more recruit openings available. Bryce might choose to fill these positions with JUCO transfers to keep the team from being overladen with freshmen, but he also could use the Kurth spot for an additional freshman, someone like A.J. Riley, a three-star player at nearby La Lumiere. In any case, we will be looking at an incoming group promising the strongest potential ever at Valpo.

zvillehaze

Sorry to hear all that Tommy Kurth has endured.  Hopefully, he'll continue to improve and be able to live a somewhat normal life (healthwise) after he finishes at Valpo.

Regarding the scholarship, this also opens up the possibility of taking a mid-year transfer from a D-I school who would become eligible next December.  There are already a few of those guys out there and I'm sure they'll be plenty more come December.

valpotx

Definitely sad to hear about his condition.  Just a curiousity, but does anyone know about his baby toes more specifically?  The way it reads in the article, it sounds like a Ronnie Lott thing, where a hinderance to playing led to the amputation (Lott amputated a pinky or finger that was broken, rather than sit out several weeks).
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Based on what Bryce has said about still having Tommy around the team, is it possible that he could either be a team manager, but not doing a lot of physical, on-court work, or could he be a student assistant?

VULB#62

My money is on student assistant -- he has too much BB talent and BB knowledge not to use it on things like tape breakdown and scouting, etc.

historyman

Bryce said during the introductions that he would like Kurth to stay around and join them as a coach in the future and that Kurth was debating that move. Bryce also clearly stated that Tommy's health issues are still ahead of him and was sending good wishes and prayers for improved health.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

milanmiracle

Hmm...having Diebler and Kurth on the same staff...maybe the goal is to win games 18-16. Between the two of them they'll set back offense by 50 years.

Of course I am kidding, as personal ability has little to do with coaching. Now if Jake wants to have Jon come speak on the offense we might have something!
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

historyman

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 16, 2012, 11:31:25 PMNow if Jake wants to have Jon come speak on the offense we might have something!

Jon would just turn us down and speak at Ohio State instead.

from wikipedia:
Professional career

On June 6, 2011, Diebler traveled to Portland to participate in a pre-draft workout[4] with the Trail Blazers.

Diebler was drafted in the second round of the 2011 NBA Draft by the Trail Blazers.

In August 2011, he signed a one-year contract with the Greek Basket League team Panionios.[5][6]

On July 20, 2012, Diebler's draft rights were traded to the Houston Rockets in a three team deal.[7]

In July of 2012, he signed a contract with Turkish Basketball League team Pınar Karşıyaka.[8]

Why is Jon playing in Europe when the Houston Rockets own his draft rights?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

QuoteJon would just turn us down and speak at Ohio State instead.

ZING
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa