• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Augustana game

Started by vu72, October 31, 2011, 10:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KL31NY

Quote from: agibson on November 03, 2011, 10:42:03 PM
Quote from: KL31NY on November 03, 2011, 07:13:11 PM
At the game with my laptop.

On press row, I get it.  But, you were just in the bleachers, with a laptop on your lap?  Hardcore?

You got me.  ;D  I was helping a couple students set up for a practice radio broadcast and when they were settled in, I started to prep for the Valpo/St. Joe's women's game Saturday among other things...
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpotx

Any minutes out of Vucic in the regular season on a game-by-game basis is a plus.  Anything to spell Kevin & Richie.  

I do believe Antti had similar bursts of fouling up until his JR year.  For big guys like Antti/Vucic that didn't have many years of experience before Valpo, they need time to learn how to position themselves.  Smaller guys that know how to play will just run right at big guys who are slow, to draw fouls...

Speaking of which, a nice series of plays in a row from Antti in this clip, though terrible defense by the other team:

Nikkila

The Art of the Sky Hook - Antti Nikkilä
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: historyman on November 03, 2011, 11:59:32 PM
Vucic certainly got his money's worth in his 13 minutes of playing time. 5 fouls in 13 minutes. Has any Valpo player ever fouled out of a game in less time?

Doesn't sound too surprising for a developing big man.  I don't know the "fastest foul out" stat - that would be a fun one.

vu72

The announcer in the first clip was the best part!!!   :lol:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

I believe Aaron Thomason once fouled out in about 3-4 minutes.  I believe we were playing Stanford either out there or in a tourney somewhere and it was close and we needed fouls given.

FWalum

I am not sure, but Phil Willie might also be in the running for the record of that dubious stat.  I don't know that he fouled out but there were a few games (besides just the Oakland game) that he came in and had some very quick fouls.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: humbleopinion on November 03, 2011, 09:39:58 PM
He had ice on it for a couple minutes and then had a seat on the bus.  It looks like he'll be fine.

Wow! My how times have changed.  I had no idea there was a bus from the ARC back to the dorms!!   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

So, is everyone feeling better about Bogan and Edwards?  Can't wait to see Fernandez as he surely will be better than Vucic, although I saw some decent play from him tonight also--nice 15 footer!!   ;)

dylanrocks

Twenty-five points from your newcomers.

That's more in line with what you'll need to compete.

Sounds like the game wasn't as close as the final score indicated.

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on November 04, 2011, 08:57:30 AM
So, is everyone feeling better about Bogan and Edwards?  Can't wait to see Fernandez as he surely will be better than Vucic, although I saw some decent play from him tonight also--nice 15 footer!!   ;)

Yes, Edwards, Bogan, and Kenney all had very good games, a turnaround from the first game. Also, Vucic played significantly more minutes, especially in the second half after Kevin was hurt, but even in the first half, where Bryce's strategy seemed to be to play Kevin and Vucic at the 5, so Edwards was always at the 4, where he might work best. Of course, that plan was altered by Kevin's injury. Still, in the future it would be nice if Kevin, Fernandez, and Vucic could share all the time at the 5, and Edwards got used to playing mostly at the 4 spot.

valporun

After watching the video clips of Antii, the body that Antii has/had should be the type of body that Vucic has, not just tall and lanky, but tall and physical, not throwing elbows, but throwing the body around to get rebounds.

valpotx

Well if you remember, Antti was actually kind of pudgy when he came to VU, which was why he was so slow too.  Whenever he had the ball, it seemed like an eternity before a move was made.  In these clips, he looks to be in very good shape, and much quicker than anything we ever saw from him.  I imagine that 10 years of national team ball, and 8-9 years of professional ball will help with that.

Sorry to build up on Antti like this, but seeing as he was my lab partner in Biology classes for 2 years, I like to point out his improvement lol.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpofan56

So, is everyone feeling better about Bogan and Edwards?  Can't wait to see Fernandez as he surely will be better than Vucic, although I saw some decent play from him tonight also--nice 15 footer!!   ;)

I feel better, but I still don't feel anywhere close to good, especially with Bogan. He made several absolutely awful passes last night; passes that wouldn't have cut it in a high school game. He better clean that stuff up, or faster teams will eat him alive.

FWalum

Quote from: valpofan56 on November 04, 2011, 11:24:36 AM

I feel better, but I still don't feel anywhere close to good, especially with Bogan. He made several absolutely awful passes last night; passes that wouldn't have cut it in a high school game. He better clean that stuff up, or faster teams will eat him alive.
Give them some time.  As the confidence level and familiarity improves the play will get better.  Bogan's turnovers were a little disturbing to me, but when I looked at his career stats and saw that he had a career high in turnovers last night it made me feel a little better knowing that he had played, especially as a freshman, against much tougher competition than he did last night and averaged far fewer turnovers against the "big boys".  I think last night was just a "blip" on the big picture radar.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpopal

For those who were unable to attend the game, there is a good video of highlights now up at the Valpo Athletics main page (and below). Also, I want to mention that the showing of replays on the video boards during the game last night was a welcome addition.

Valpo Crusaders (MBB) vs. Augustana

StlVUFan

Darn.  I was hoping to see a clip of Buggs psyching out the Augustana coach ;)

valporun

Quote from: valpotx on November 04, 2011, 10:43:09 AM
Well if you remember, Antti was actually kind of pudgy when he came to VU, which was why he was so slow too.  Whenever he had the ball, it seemed like an eternity before a move was made.  In these clips, he looks to be in very good shape, and much quicker than anything we ever saw from him.  I imagine that 10 years of national team ball, and 8-9 years of professional ball will help with that.

Sorry to build up on Antti like this, but seeing as he was my lab partner in Biology classes for 2 years, I like to point out his improvement lol.

I do remember that, but I was just thinking that Vucic needed something on his body, even if it is a little flab for awhile. He just looks tall and lanky still.

vu84v2

Bogan coming off the screen to hit threes is very encouraging!

bbtds

Quote from: bbtds on May 17, 2011, 04:18:33 PM
Quote from: valpofan56 on May 15, 2011, 09:04:30 PM
I really hope with the addition of Boggs and Bogan we don't have to see Buggs for more than 10 minutes a game.  I think Buggs can play a really important role as a defensive, energy guy off the bench but with his complete and total ineptitude on offense he really should never be anymore than that.

I say give Buggs a chance to figure out some way to be a scoring threat. If he totally bottoms out then take away his minutes. It's totally up to Bryce now. That may be the biggest change in this Buggs situation.

Quote from: valpopal on November 03, 2011, 09:46:45 PM
Highlight of the game: when Kevin got hurt and couldn't shoot the free throws, Augustana's coach chose Buggs to shoot for Kevin. Erik made two beautiful free throws that touched nothing but net! Everybody in my section looked at one another and smiled. As I suggested after the Hillsdale game, it is clear that Erik's free throw form has definitely improved.
What does everybody think of Erik Buggs now. Should we see more of Boggs and Bogan and not more than 10 minutes of Buggs per game OR more of Buggs?
I think Bryce just knows more about pushing the right buttons with Buggs.

Oh, yeah, I'm back. I was not in touch with a computer this summer and waited for the basketball season to begin. Things are much less hectic now. If you were wondering I wasn't gone because of dcvalpo, who I notice has left the board, but because of personal circumstances.

sectionee

Buggs is the point guard and noone else has even challenged him after these first three games. 

vu72

Kurth will most likely play the backup point although I'm pretty sure I saw Jay playing some point yesterday as well.  Bogan and Boggs (when he is eligible) will play the 2.

agibson

Quote from: sectionee on November 08, 2011, 07:25:37 PM
Buggs is the point guard and noone else has even challenged him after these first three games. 

Did Bogan run the point for a while against Arizona?  I noticed him _guarding_ their point (well, the guy bringing the ball, slowly, down the court), at least, on one position.