• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball 2011

Started by okinawatyphoon, April 19, 2011, 07:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okinawatyphoon

I thought the baseball team deserved their own thread, seeing as they currently have the nation's longest active winning streak! They take on the University of Hawaii this weekend. Good luck guys!  :thumbsup:
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

78crusader

I'm glad Okinawa started this thread.  I believe the BB team started the season 1-17; they are now 15-21, including 9-3 in the Horizon.  They have a couple of big conference series coming up, and if they do well, there is a possibility VU could snag its first conference championship.  Think about that...from 1-17 to conference champs.  The coach and the team should be congratulated for not throwing in the towel after the (consistently and surprisingly tough) spring break schedule.

Paul

valpotx

The team is definitely doing well after a tough non-conference schedule.  I think we did well enough in the non-conference side, though the record didn't show it.  We played some good CA teams close for most of the games, and I think kept UNLV close.  If we can take 1 of 3 from Hawaii in Hawaii, I would say that we did well!  Hawaii only lost by 1 to Texas, who is always in the top 10 each year, and has played several other tough teams close.  Congrats on the 9 game winning streak Coach Woodson!  I have always been proud to contribute to the baseball program since I graduated/played, and I/other baseball alumni would love to be able to say that we are in the NCAA tournament some day :-).
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on April 20, 2011, 02:38:48 AM
The team is definitely doing well after a tough non-conference schedule.  I think we did well enough in the non-conference side, though the record didn't show it.  We played some good CA teams close for most of the games, and I think kept UNLV close.  If we can take 1 of 3 from Hawaii in Hawaii, I would say that we did well!  Hawaii only lost by 1 to Texas, who is always in the top 10 each year, and has played several other tough teams close.  Congrats on the 9 game winning streak Coach Woodson!  I have always been proud to contribute to the baseball program since I graduated/played, and I/other baseball alumni would love to be able to say that we are in the NCAA tournament some day :-).

Nice to have you back TX!  You haven't posted in a while.  My daughter and family just moved to Frisco so maybe when I'm down visiting we can connect!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Sure, Frisco is not far at all, maybe 40 minutes from the mid-cities where I live. 

On the baseball front, I am glad that I don't have to go into work tomorrow, as we are beating Hawaii by 2 in the 8th right now!!  This would be a good victory for us!  Not to the level of when we beat Notre Dame when they were ranked #1 in 2001, but big nonetheless :-).
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Wow, looked like quite an ending based on live stats, that ended in a W!  Up by 2 in the bottom of the 9th and 1 out, runner on 2nd and third.  Guy doubles to score one run, and we throw the second guy out at home for the second out.  Last guy strikes out to take the win.  Must have been quite a celebration to end like that.  Congrats on 10 in a row and a great victory!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

I went to bed in the 7th, shortly after Justin Frane ran out of gas, but he pitched a great game on the islands. Gaedele had a towering shot in 2nd, but it was cool to listen to the game with the Hawaii announcer actually showing interest in doing a great job by pronouncing Valparaiso correctly, and having all of his game preparation in order. I admit, I was upset that I missed the end of the game, but it was fun to listen and chat with fans on the chat feature Ryan Wronkowicz was providing for some fun in game commentary. Check it out tonight or tomorrow night, if you're able to stay up that late.

valpotx

Great weekend guys!  2 out of 3 from Hawaii is an awesome accomplishment!
"Don't mess with Texas"

78crusader

Uh...most of you probably know this, but right now our baseball team is in first place in the league.  A couple of big series coming up!  We can win this thing!

Paul

ps I have heard down through the years that our team in the early to mid 60s had a chance to advance to the final round of the college baseball championships, but lost 1-0 on a steal of home in the 9th inning.  Do you any you older guys know whether this is true or not?  Thanks

bbtds

I hate to throw "cold water" on your enthusiasm but the mens basketball team was in first place late in the season and looked what happened. Don't get too over excited by a first place team. Remember this is Valpo, the last place school in the Horizon League all-sports standings. 

hckjag

Hopefully they can continue their success down the stretch. Maybe some nice weather for home games will keep them inspired.

sectionee

Drove by the field and caught a glimpse of the scoreboard from 30, looked like an 11-4 victory today in the late game!

bbtds

Here is the key for the baseball team. Today, Sunday 5/1/11, they take on 9-30 (2-14 in the HL) last place Cleveland State Vikings in a double header at Em Bauer Field. Then next Saturday/Sunday, 5/7 and 5/8/11 they take on Wright State in Dayton/Fairborn, OH, who currently hold first place in the HL by a half game over Valpo, in a 3 game series. Then the Saturday after that on 5/14/11 they play Milwaukee in a 2 game series in Valpo Then 2 games against UIC in Chicago on 5/15/11. The Crusaders finish against Milwaukee in Milwaukee with 3 games on Saturday/Sunday 5/19 and 5/20/11. There is a non-conf. game against N.Illinois on Tuesday, 5/3/11 in DeKalb, IL. Milwaukee and UIC are tied for third 2.5 games behind Wright State and 2 games behind Valpo.

Basically the Crusaders play the 3 teams they are battling for first in the HL 9 times before the end of the season with Butler, Cleveland State and Youngstown playing key games against our opponents also.  

So if you really want to cheer the baseball team on to first place in the Horizon League get out today and see them take on CSU in 2 games and then the 2 games against Milwaukee on 5/14/11 at Em Bauer Field. You could also drive to Dayton and see the 3 games against 1st place Wright State on 5/7 and 5/8/11 and then to Chicago for 2 games against UIC on 5/15/11 and Milwaukee on 5/19 and 5/20/11 for 3 big games if you feel the fever. Go Valpo! A championship is in reach.

valpotx

Good hard fought wins today!  I think we are in first again by 1/2 a game, as WSU split with Butler.  You are definitely correct that we have some key series coming up.  It is times like these I wish I was located closer, as I would love to see the 3 game set at WSU.  It is just amazing that not too long ago we were 1-17, and now 20-23!  If, and this is a big if, we get to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1977 (D-2 I believe), I am there!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Just to put into perspective the wins against Hawaii, they have won the first 2 games against Fresno State in their 4 game set, which is a team with a recent NCAA championship, and current rpi of 25...
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

I understand Wright State had a runner on third when the Butler relief pitcher got the final out in the bottom of the 7th inning. The final score was 6-5 Butler so it was a real close game. Butler scored 5 runs in the 2nd inning while WSU scored 3 runs in the 6th inning to make the game close. The second game WSU won 5-3. There was no scoring after the top of the 4th inning and this one they decided to play as a nine inning game. Butler scored all 3 of their runs in the 1st inning. WSU scored in the 1st, 2nd & 4th innings.  

Valpo with the double header wins takes over 1st place again 1/2 game ahead of WSU. UIC won 2 games from Youngstown and stay 2 games behind Valpo. Milwaukee did not play on Sunday and moves to 3 games back of Valpo. 

bbtds

Cleveland State decided to drop baseball next year. I wonder if Coach Woodson saw any players he wants and is trying to recruit them now. The announcement was made on the Tuesday after Valpo played CSU on Sunday.

valpotx

I wonder how this impacts the NCAA auto-bid, with only 6 teams going to be playing?  I thought you needed 7 to be able to keep it....
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on May 06, 2011, 01:36:29 AM
I wonder how this impacts the NCAA auto-bid, with only 6 teams going to be playing?  I thought you needed 7 to be able to keep it....

This is the NCAA rule for most sports. Basketball has different rules due to the amount of money that is generated by the tournament.

For NCAA championship qualification in a sport, 6 of the member institutions must have played together for at least the last 2 years. But, this only applies to playing in a championship and not the regular season. In other words, they could play and would be recognized by the NCAA, but they wouldn't be able to participate in an NCAA championship or post-season tournament until they meet the 2 year requirement.

By the way the Valpo at Wright State doubleheader was moved up 2 hours and begins at 11:00 am EDT/10:00 am CDT today.

EDIT: The game is being lived streamed and the Crusaders lead 3-0 in the top of the first inning as I write this.

valpotx

Watching both games today, and for the first time actually getting to see Gaedele, he is pretty impressive.  Even his outs are hard hit baseballs, and he dropped a nice bomb to take the lead in this one.  Our starting pitchers are work horses, as they seem to go 7+ innings every game!  Coach Woodson must take the MLB approach (makes sense having played pro ball) in getting the most out of your starters even if they struggle early.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

So in your interpretation, does the Great West conference (or whatever Chicago State is in now) get a bid in baseball now?  I believe those teams have played together for a few years.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on May 07, 2011, 03:14:49 PM
So in your interpretation, does the Great West conference (or whatever Chicago State is in now) get a bid in baseball now?  I believe those teams have played together for a few years.

This is the Great West Conference's 2nd year as an 8 team baseball conference so next year, 2011-2012, they will have had at least 6 schools together for 2 years and they will qualify for the NCAA tourney. I think 20-20 (12-1 in Great West) Utah Valley qualifies for an NCAA tournament birth just as much as 23-17 (12-5 in Summit League) Oral Roberts or 22-19 (10-4 in OVC) Austin Peay.  OR 21-25 (13-5) Valpo
I think the fact that the Great West Conference carries Chicago State 7-33 influences how you feel about the Great West. The Summit League carries Oakland 12-25 and the Ohio Valley carries Morehead State 7-33. The Horizon carries Cleveland State 9-34 at least till the end of the year.

valpotx

Actually, I wasn't implying anything about the quality of the team qualifying, it was just a curiousity if that conference finally gets a bid to something in NCAA lol.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Tough loss today in a game that we should have won.  4 errors that led to runs.  Kind of confused by the bottom of the 9th inning, in that with one out and a runner on second in a tied game, we chose to pitch to the hitter rather than walk him to get a force situation.  Guy hits it deep to CF for an out to move the runner to third with 2 outs (one of their better hitters), and then a dribbler up the middle wins it the next AB.  Regardless, we have shown we can beat anyone in this league, and no one will be looking forward to playing us in the conference tournament no matter our seed.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Last home double header of the season today. Senior Day. 4th place Milwaukee comes to Em Bauer Field.

Currently Milwaukee is 2 games behind 2nd place Valpo which trails WSU by a half game. UIC has thrust themselves in the middle of the conference race by beating last place CSU twice. The Flames are currently a half game behind the Crusaders in third place.

So obviously Valpo must keep winning this weekend or they will quickly find themselves in 4th place similar to the mens basketball team this season. Valpo plays 2 against UIC tomorrow, Sunday. 

Wright State plays 2 against CSU in Cleveland today and 2 against 6th place YSU in Youngstown Sunday. So don't expect much help catching up with the Raiders this weekend.

Milwaukee after todays 2 games against Valpo comes down to Indy to play 2 games against Butler on Sunday.

Go Valpo! Let's win a Horizon League championship THIS year!!!!