• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball 2011

Started by okinawatyphoon, April 19, 2011, 07:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Just what you cautioned against happened lol.  I believe we are now in 4th after leading both games for most of the time, and then losing it in the later innings.  Oh well, let's win some on the road, and we can beat anyone in the tourney!
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Valpo loses both games to Milwaukee by the same score of 7-3. Cleveland State did manage to beat Wright State in the 2nd game of their doubleheader, 13-11, and split. WSU stays in first, UIC is now in second 1 game back, Milwaukee and Valpo are tied for third 1.5 games back.

Apparently the Valpo defense was not very good today allowing 2 errors in each game. Beating UIC twice  in Chicago would help make up some of the ground lost today.

bbtds

Both doubleheaders, Valpo at UIC and Wright State at Youngstown State were rained out today. Milwaukee lost their first game to Butler 2-1. The second game was called with the score tied 11-11 so that game goes down same as a cancelled game. Therefore WSU stays in first place, 1 game ahead of UIC, Valpo stays in third, 1.5 games out and Milwaukee drops to 4th place with the one game loss. The Panthers are 2 games out.

Valpo will play one game at Milwaukee this coming Thursday and a doubleheader Friday.

Youngstown State plays one game at UIC Thursday and also plays a doubleheader Friday.

Butler also plays one game at Wright State Thursday and a doubleheader Friday.

EDIT: I did notice that the Horizon League website gave both Butler and Milwaukee a half of a win and a half of a loss for the 11-11 tie game.

bbtds

Valpo drops third straight to Milwaukee 4-3 in 10 innings. No errors this game but not enough timely hitting. McCormick did a good job on the mound but didn't start the 10th. Valpo must win both games Friday, tomorrow in order to stay ahead of Milwaukee. Wright State is leading Butler 3-0 in the top of the 2nd.

Results from Thursday:
UIC 5, YSU 1
WSU 13, Butler 5
UWM 4, Valpo 3 (10 innings)

Not a good day for Valpo. They fall to 4th and need both wins to stay ahead of Milwaukee

WSU is in 1st, UIC is 1 game behind in 2nd, UWM is 2 games out in 3rd and Valpo is 2.5 games out in 4th.

valpotx

We are not catching any breaks the last several weeks.  I believe we have had a couple of last inning losses recently, including today.  It seems we always jump on top early in the game, and cough up the lead as it progresses...
"Don't mess with Texas"

dcvalpo

It seems to me that Woodson can bring a program to respectability but can't win the big ones when they count.  Can you guys who follow the program address this a bit more? 

Also, does Lasorda post here?  I know he is a big VU backer and figured he might show up round these parts from time to time.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 20, 2011, 11:19:06 PM
It seems to me that Woodson can bring a program to respectability but can't win the big ones when they count.  Can you guys who follow the program address this a bit more? 

Also, does Lasorda post here?  I know he is a big VU backer and figured he might show up round these parts from time to time.

are coach woodson's days numbered? i mean, he may have bridged some gaps. but is he the long term answer? do we have anybody closer to the program who can affirm whether or not woodson will be the guy to trust the program with long term?

bbtds

I think Woodson will see some recruiting success since he has taken the program over the .500 mark. It takes a while for high school and junior college players to notice the difference and start to make the committments once they see the consistency. I realize this year they are 22-30 so far but that is with an upgraded schedule. I really believe they will get better defense and more timely hitting in the future. The wins in Hawaii and at Cal St. Northridge will go a long way. I think you can say that the baseball team mirrored the MBB team in results this year. In first place late in the season and then a big dip in Wisconsin and they finished fourth. I think the baseball team takes enough positives into next season that we can look for improvement. Some players will leave but the coaching staff will replace them.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: bbtds on May 21, 2011, 09:28:08 PM
I think Woodson will see some recruiting success since he has taken the program over the .500 mark. It takes a while for high school and junior college players to notice the difference and start to make the committments once they see the consistency. I realize this year they are 22-30 so far but that is with an upgraded schedule. I really believe they will get better defense and more timely hitting in the future. The wins in Hawaii and at Cal St. Northridge will go a long way. I think you can say that the baseball team mirrored the MBB team in results this year. In first place late in the season and then a big dip in Wisconsin and they finished fourth. I think the baseball team takes enough positives into next season that we can look for improvement. Some players will leave but the coaching staff will replace them.

that win streak in the middle of the season was pretty awesome. a good positive highlight for the year.

valpotx

Coach Woodson is bringing in the right people.  We are in a more competitive league overall in baseball (ORU was the only stand-out in Summit when we were there), which can lead to some of these close losses.  It is nice to have a chance to get to NCAA, because ORU has dominated the tourney in Mid-
Con/Summit.  If we played a patsy non-conference schedule, we could easily be above .500, but Woodson realizes the value in playing Western and Southern teams.  By playing the harder teams early on, it allows our players to get amped for competitive ball right away, so I approve.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Baseball just put together a dominant 9-0 win over Butler in the first game of the tournament. We had at least 18 hits in today's game, including 17 singles and a Steve Scooby triple. We'll play either Wright State or UIC next. Stay tuned to the Valpo website for details. Video of all the tournament games is available on the HLN site, although the video is choppy due to technical issues and weather in Dayton.

mj

Baseball America just ranked Kyle Gaedele the 87th ranked prospect in the 2011 draft. I'm guessing he gets picked in the Top 5 rounds.
I believe that we will win.

valporun

The baseball team will be playing UIC at 3PM. The video is available for this game on HLN. It could still be choppy, depending on the weather in Dayton. Otherwise, Ryan will have the live blog for questions, comments, and more in-depth play-by-play.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valporun on May 26, 2011, 10:15:43 AM
The baseball team will be playing UIC at 3PM. The video is available for this game on HLN. It could still be choppy, depending on the weather in Dayton. Otherwise, Ryan will have the live blog for questions, comments, and more in-depth play-by-play.

VU website indicates it's been PPD.  Rescheduled for tomorrow at 12:30, looks like.

Where's this blog you speak of located?

VU75

Baseballamerica has Kyle Gaedele listed as the 87th ranked player in the upcoming draft.

sectionee

You're about 2 hours late there 75!  But it's worthy of being restated.

valpotx

Wow, that would be quite a feat if he is drafted in the first 5 rounds as they speculate.  I believe our highest draft pick was in the 21st round, but that is only my knowledge since I was involved in the program from 1999-2004 (when was Lloyd Mc taken?).  Brian Wolotka was taken by the TB Rays after 1 year at VU (transferred from Butler after 2 years).
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 26, 2011, 02:21:48 PM
Quote from: valporun on May 26, 2011, 10:15:43 AM

VU website indicates it's been PPD.  Rescheduled for tomorrow at 12:30, looks like.

Where's this blog you speak of located?

Stl, the live blog is located in the story about the game, as it is going on. It's difficult to explain, but in the rotating window of stories on the athletic website, you'll see something about the game, and it will say something about Ryan live blogging the game.

agibson

So, for today's game, it's embedded at
http://www.valpoathletics.com/news/default/173/10850/

Looks like the same service they use over at midmajority.

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on May 27, 2011, 11:06:55 AM
So, for today's game, it's embedded at
http://www.valpoathletics.com/news/default/173/10850/

Looks like the same service they use over at midmajority.

Thanks!

valpomarketingguy

We've got some work to do down 9-8 in the 7th.

valpotx

Good job guys!  Just two more victories and we are to the promised land :-)
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

Followed it on the live blog while I worked and thoroughly enjoyed it, though for awhile I was having Sox-Twins flashbacks.

So, I assume they play the winner of the WSU-YSU game?

valpotx

Yes, and if we beat that team, we are in the championship game(s)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 27, 2011, 04:54:04 PM
Followed it on the live blog while I worked and thoroughly enjoyed it, though for awhile I was having Sox-Twins flashbacks.

So, I assume they play the winner of the WSU-YSU game?

We play Wright State tomorrow at 2PM.