• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

softball 2014

Started by vusb1, February 09, 2014, 02:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Unfortunately, softball had a chance to clinch the title this weekend by going 2-1 against GB, but just like in baseball, our anemic offense let us down 5-0 and 3-1.  Depending on how we do tomorrow, we can be anywhere from a 3-5 seed in the tournament. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

We rebounded to win the last game against GB, and clinch the 3 seed in the tourney.  Not that it really mattered, as I believe that we would have played YSU in the first round regardless?  Hopefully we can surprise some teams in the tourney again, as we definitely have the talent to do so.  I am a bit confused as to why WSU is hosting the tournament, with GB winning the title.  The release on the HL website mentions that WSU is hosting, eve though they are the 2 seed.  The 1 seed is supposed to host in softball...
"Don't mess with Texas"

vusupporter

3 plays 6 in the first round (1 and 2 get byes), so we'll play UIC in our first game.  As to why Wright State would be hosting, guessing that Green Bay's facility isn't adequate to host, although you'd think they would have made other arrangements to play somewhere else if their home field wasn't good enough...

valpotx

Yes, any insight into this would be appreciated.  It is a very odd time to take a leave of absence, unless it was family health-related...

It looks like you were correct regarding GB not having an adequate field to host: http://www.valpoathletics.com/softball/news/2013-14/13712/crusaders-to-open-league-tournament-as-third-seed/
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Softball beats #6 seed UIC with a 2 RBI walk-off hit with 2 outs to advance (4-3 win) to play #2 seed WSU!  It was Doerffler again coming up with more HL championship heroics!

We are currently beating WSU 4-0 in the bottom of the 6th as well!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

We beat WSU 4-0 to take on the winner of #1 seed GB and #4 seed YSU!  We just need to win 2 more games to make it back-to-back-to-back NCAA appearances :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Wow! Exciting games and it would be great to go to another NCAA tournament!

Is Jordan Stevens back or is Joy Ichiyama and Alex Lagesse orchestrating these important wins?

That would be something like Ben Boggs and Will Bogan coaching the MBB team.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

[tweet]463044966227652609[/tweet]

You're right, they haven't mentioned anything in the stories, but why mess with the hot hand? :)  Go, girls!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

When I was watching the game against WSU, Joylyn was still as excitable as she was as a player.  She was jumping up and down after critical outs and runs.  No idea what is going on with Stevens, but our softball program had already turned the corner right before he took the reigns, so our program is in good hands with our without him.  This will actually be our first losing season since 2006...
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

We are down to the final 3 teams: #1 GB vs. #3 Valpo at 11:00 am Friday, with the winner advancing to the championship game(s), and the loser facing #6 UIC in an elimination game.  Let's pull out that first one, and give us the advantage of needing to lose twice in the championship!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

We lose 9-1 to GB in the semi-final, only to win on yet another 2 out/2 RBI single in walk-off fashion in the 8th against UIC (5-4)!  Hopefully we can beat GB twice tomorrow, but they seem to have our number this year.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Unfortunately, we get spanked again by GB 9-0, in 5 innings.  Curious why we started Pico instead of Taylor in this game, but she may have been tired.  I know that Pico's ERA is less than Taylor's, but she gives up more runs/game than Taylor (Pico lets them put it in play more often/less strikeouts, and walks more), and just watching many games this year, I think Taylor would have been better to start in a do-or-die game.  Oh well, good season in general, and hopefully we will have some resolution with our coaching situation in the next few weeks, and have a championship season next year!  A lot of our top players in regards to batting average and innings pitched are all back, barring any transfers out.  Good luck to Doerffler, Korb, Marinec, Wisniewski, Michalek, and Wallace in their post-college careers!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Just noticed that Coach Stevens is not listed as a coach on the website.  I wonder if they are going to say anything about why he was let go...
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Hm.  Seems like he just walked away at the worst possible time.  Strange and I wish him well.

Probably be a few months before President Heckler trades five basketball players to get him back, right? 

(...too soon? :/ )
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Quote from: IndyValpo on May 05, 2014, 08:39:18 AM
What is up here.....

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/recreation/sports-digest-crusaders-softball-coach-takes-leave-of-absence/article_9af7f6f0-9db4-5abe-8ab9-b0ee11be4b4e.html

Quote from: valpotx on June 05, 2014, 11:57:06 PM
Just noticed that Coach Stevens is not listed as a coach on the website.  I wonder if they are going to say anything about why he was let go...
It has been more than a month since the initial story by nwitimes.com.  I understand the need for privacy (Coach Stevens), but I'm puzzled by the lack of info coming out of VU.  If he is indeed gone, at least an announcement of a search for new coach or removal of the interim tag should be in order. 

Reminds me of the comment about the administration/athletic dept being insular. 

vu72

Well this is interesting.  This is on the Valpo athletics website, announcing the soon to be held softball camp.  The brochure attached says "come join Valpo head coach Jordan Stevens...".  So either the athletic media folks screwed up or his leave is over!

http://www.ussportscamps.com/softball/nike/nike-softball-camp-valparaiso-university
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

He is no longer listed on the athletics website as the head coach.  Probably just an oversight that he wasn't removed from the Nike camp.  Interesting . . .

valpotx

Now that the season is over, there should be some news.  I don't believe the full truth will come out about what happened, but hopefully the individual that PM'd me before the conference tournament will be allowed to mention what he truly did to end up with his 'personal leave.'  I bet that the university just takes this angle to explain why he is no longer coach, though.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

OK, still no word on a Head Coach.  Isn't this killing recruiting?  Is summer a busy time for AAU softball events?  Kinda weird...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I have to believe that Stevens is done because of something he did, and the administration is probably somewhat relieved that they didn't have to respond to questions about their HC situation, if we made the NCAA tournament without him.  They can just simply say that he has left for personal reasons, as we do in HR when someone is essentially suggested to resign. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Very, very strange and bad for what was becoming a perennial HL leading program.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

I believe that we will still be fine, as we were winning and competing for top seed before he came, as well.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Stevens hired as head softball coach at North Dakota: http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=209541268

GRAND FORKS, N.D. -- Athletics Director Brian Faison announced Monday that Jordan Stevens has been named the head softball coach at the University of North Dakota. Stevens officially begins his duties today....

VULB#62

Leave of absence heading into HL tourney then he pops up as the new HSBC at North Dakota.  Strange....... What's going on?