• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Aces @ Valpo 2/2 6pm

Started by may know, February 01, 2022, 09:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

may know

Anyone else hearing they are postponing the game?

Some of my favorite memories are snowstorm games. I remember a snowstorm when hosting Drake a few years ago.

justducky

If played this may be your last best chance to see Matt win a game at the ARC. If that motivates you then don't let a couple feet of snow cloud your thinking.

I might actually show up  :o only if my pre committed activity falls through. Am I stupid or what?

vu72

This could go either way.  Evansville will play small ball with no one over 6'8" so no Hedstrom tomorrow.  Shamar Givance, at 5'10" has killed us in the past.  Quick and can score.  Who can keep up with him?  If Thomas is out I'd give it a 50/50 as we have zero home court advantage.  Almost a sure loss down there as we lost twice last year at their place.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: justducky on February 01, 2022, 12:01:00 PM
If played this may be your last best chance to see Matt win a game at the ARC.

I hope you mean ...last best chance THIS YEAR. I wear more than 1 Valpo stakeholder hat. As a donor I expect the university to be good financial stewards. Throwing away $400K to buyout a bb coaching salary at the same time university academic staff members are being downsized and longstanding academic programs are being cut is completely irresponsible, and heartless. I love Valpo bb as much as the next guy, but let's get a grip here.

valpopal

Game has been postponed to 2/21.

vuny98

Quote from: valpopal on February 01, 2022, 02:14:16 PMGame has been postponed to 2/21.
So you're telling me we wont lose tomorrow!!!!

humbleopinion

This leads to four games in eight days:  Evansville twice, Drake and then Bradley.
Beamin' Beacons

usc4valpo

I see where you are coming from wh. I also see higher long term financial loss if various changes are not made.

justducky

Quote from: wh on February 01, 2022, 01:42:05 PM
Quote from: justducky on February 01, 2022, 12:01:00 PM
If played this may be your last best chance to see Matt win a game at the ARC.

I hope you mean ...last best chance THIS YEAR. I wear more than 1 Valpo stakeholder hat. As a donor I expect the university to be good financial stewards. Throwing away $400K to buyout a bb coaching salary at the same time university academic staff members are being downsized and longstanding academic programs are being cut is completely irresponsible, and heartless. I love Valpo bb as much as the next guy, but let's get a grip here.

I'm not leading a lynch mob but you already know my meaning. Another month of losses followed by another March mass transfer defection might permanently keep me and others away from the ARC. Is the loss of our fan base worth  more or less than 400K?

VUGrad1314

Quote from: wh on February 01, 2022, 01:42:05 PM
Quote from: justducky on February 01, 2022, 12:01:00 PMIf played this may be your last best chance to see Matt win a game at the ARC.

I really hate to admit it but you're 100% right here. Moving on from Lottich seems unquestionably what is best for the program but it's probably not what's best for the university given the apparent realities VU faces right now. I just hope the program isn't totally screwed forever because of the short-sighted decision to go all in on Peters' last year without much or any regard for the future health of the flagship program.

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 01, 2022, 05:08:01 PMI see where you are coming from wh. I also see higher long term financial loss if various changes are not made.

This is also worth considering but unfortunately it is probably more prudent to confront the immediate challenge before considering long-term ramifications. Ironically, following this path which is wise in this instance is exactly what put our basketball program in this position in the first place.