• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Regular season finale at Bradley 2/26 7pm

Started by humbleopinion, February 26, 2022, 03:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

And for all the good ML did, that Lottich contract was dumb and hurtful.
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

It certainly was a "hot mess" and I really wonder not only about Matt's coaching but also about his talent assessments.  We just don't have the athletes to compete in the Valley and our shooting?

We have two freshman point guards that went 0-5 last night from the three.  Bradley has a freshman point guard (Hickman) who went 4-5 from the three.  DeAveiro, it turns out is a slower version of Daniel Sackey who can't shoot as well!

Let's hope we win on Thursday or we will be the laughing stock of the Valley!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

I don't think our players get wide open shots.  The low shooting percentages is not just the players but also the schemes. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

Quote from: tiny707 on February 27, 2022, 08:02:14 AM
VU 2014 you may want to add Slim's Tweet from last night also...

Not sure if I can read into anything here. It was a quote from a song.

Sheldon's tweet really concerns me.

https://twitter.com/som_slight/status/1497725405117259781?s=21

humbleopinion

Quote from: vu72 on February 27, 2022, 09:28:15 AMWe just don't have the athletes to compete in the Valley and our shooting?

So often, the comment has been made' "we have the athletes to compete." I really don't see it.  Virtually at every position, we are outmatched by every team finishing 1-6 in the MVC.  I like our guys, but it's hard to say that they have better skills.

As for Sheldon, this may be an indication of his self-perception.  He is very athletic, but his confidence is not backed up by consistent performance in game situations.
Beamin' Beacons

Pgmado

VU2014

valpotx

I don't think anything of Slim's tweet/video, but was worried when he was healthy, and not getting PT.  It wouldn't surprise me if he transfers.  Sheldon will probably follow JFL and Clay, hoping to make a move after 2 seasons.  Does Krikke stay?  He is a focal point for Valpo, but wouldn't be at a P5 program, and though he has his moments on defense, he is routinely taken to the cup by the bigs in the MVC (Brodie, Mast, Prim, etc).  I guess if he gets to play the 3 or 4, he makes a move up. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on February 27, 2022, 02:46:02 PM
I don't think anything of Slim's tweet/video, but was worried when he was healthy, and not getting PT.  It wouldn't surprise me if he transfers.  Sheldon will probably follow JFL and Clay, hoping to make a move after 2 seasons.  Does Krikke stay?  He is a focal point for Valpo, but wouldn't be at a P5 program, and though he has his moments on defense, he is routinely taken to the cup by the bigs in the MVC (Brodie, Mast, Prim, etc).  I guess if he gets to play the 3 or 4, he makes a move up. 

Wouldn't shock me if assistant Coaches are already recruiting some of our guys through twitter DMs and reaching out to their Prep/High School Coaches.

Krikke would be highly recruited on the transfer portal.

https://twitter.com/sheldonnn13/status/1498029207603093513?s=21

Trevor Anderson liked this tweet... Sheldon seems really down the last 24 hours after that Bradley game.

Chairback

Ben has done everything he possibly can for this team.  He literally is playing is heart out each and every play.  He is the only one I want to stay.

The rest including the entire coaching staff can go.  We can't get much worse than we are currently.   

Maybe the players speaking up in social media will help push Padilla to make a move quicker.  The louder they are the more he might listen. 

mj

I didn't watch the game last night. Seem like I made the right choice.

Until recently, I thought the saving grace to this season was that the locker room wasn't a dumpster fire like last season. Looks like I was wrong and we're going to see another exodus.

Lottich needs to go now. I know the timing is wrong but a major asset of the university is being destroyed in real time. We need bold leadership, now.

Maybe we bring in a temporary coach on a one year? Give the job to Tonagel with the understand there are no promises after the season? Or Luke Gore? Or Homer Drew? Or anyone really at this point.
I believe that we will win.

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on February 27, 2022, 02:46:02 PMhe is routinely taken to the cup by the bigs in the MVC (Brodie, Mast, Prim, etc).  I guess if he gets to play the 3 or 4, he makes a move up. 

Ben looks like a candidate to move sideways. A bit slow to guard a true center and much too slow to keep up with quality 3's and 4's. On top of that he has never consistently hit his 3 point shots. Despite all those flaws I would still love to see him return but am not expecting it to happen. When surrounded by 4 other scorers able to hit from the perimeter, he can be such a big threat on offense.

humbleopinion

Wow! You all are making leaps from a couple of cryptic tweets (Sheldon) and a head-scratcher (Slim).

If I were to make a prediction, I would guess that we will be at three or fewer transfers this year. I think there is talent especially among the younger players, but not enough of that has been on display for them to be attractive in the pool.  If the players pay attention to the results for last year's transfers, the grass on the other side might not be so lush and green.
Beamin' Beacons

justducky

Quote from: humbleopinion on February 27, 2022, 05:19:42 PMIf I were to make a prediction, I would guess that we will be at three or fewer transfers this year. I think there is talent especially among the younger players, but not enough of that has been on display for them to be attractive in the pool.  If the players pay attention to the results for last year's transfers, the grass on the other side might not be so lush and green.

Good points and I hope you are correct. Meanwhile most have us are now viewing the Valpo program as being a sinking ship. If the players are viewing it likewise, then it may become a mass panic exodus. Whether they leave for perceived opportunity (last year) or disheartening program and coaching underperformance (this year) doesn't really mater. Either way we still have the mess to clean up.

valpotx

I've felt that Sheldon would transfer since the beginning of the season, it isn't tied to his recent tweets.  He could simply be venting that everyone is putting on a brave/positive face, claiming that they need to peak at the right time, but they really need to hold each other more accountable for the results for the season.  The kid puts in the work, and would get to play at a solid program elsewhere.  I would wish him well.  He has been different than Clay, who was creating a ton of internal strife with his selfishness. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

AB

This year has obviously not gone as expected for the Brown and Gold. The injuries and covid issues really had effect on results, on court chemistry, continuity wins/loss etc. They rolled the dice on Anderson, and weren't so lucky. Kithier, when he is out, you really put a lot of pressure on Krikke on an already thin interior defense. Hedstrom and Emile are busts, Woodyard needs to get in the weight room. The team is completely different with Kithier out of the lineup. That's a lot of production lost. Of course coaching preparation plays a factor into late game management, shot selections, manufacturing points on inbounds plays through out the game or just putting the ball in the hands of a player to win the game. Oh and the lack of consistent effort on defense all year.  The best case scenario, Keondre, Kobe, Kithier and Anderson play almost the entire season and likely the team prolly wins 3, 4 more games, but we will never know. Sheldon is obviously frustrated, but if he transfers it's likely a lateral move like last years transfers.  None of them will taste post season except for Sackey's team. Golder's mom has too much time on her hands.  Twitter will let us know who's staying or going right after the valley tournament. I would think if a coaching change happens, it's under the watch of a new AD.

valpotx

It's been good to see Sackey's UNO team have conference success.  He did his time at Valpo, and represented us well, regardless of his shooting woes. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Speaking of guys leaving, how about the guys staying--like the redshirts.  That would be Slim, Connor and Cam.  Then there is Joe, Emil (where would they go?) and presume Thomas and Kobe will also stay with only one year of eligibility and in Thomas' case the injury thing hanging over his head.  I doubt someone like Preston,Trey  or Darius will leave so that's ten with one signee coming in.

If Ben and Sheldon stay isn't that a full 13? (is the limit back to 13 next year?) So I guess I'm with humbleopinion on 3 or fewer leaving.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

I debated putting this on here but I speak weekly to a person who is very close to Slim.  I actually got to talk to slim via social media.  Slim said he was here to stay.  That was also 3 weeks ago and a lot changes. 

over/under 3 transfers? 

I'm taking the OVER. 
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

I can make a case for every player leaving, or staying, depending on which side of the bed I woke up on.

The players I want to stay are those who feel a shared sense of responsibility for how we performed this season and want to be part of improving it. Or, in the case of Keyondre and others (including Max watching from afar), who are waiting their turn, to believe they will be difference makers next year, and work tirelessly to that end. If anyone feels like they've been victimized (e.g., the Clays and JO's of the world), go where you will be properly treated, better understood, and more highly valued. It certainly worked out for Derrik Smits, who told teammates in January that he was leaving:

College career
Smits played for the Valparaiso University men's basketball team from 2016 to 2019.[3] He was forced to redshirt the 2015–16 season due to an injury, and began playing the following season at Valparaiso.[4] He averaged 7.5 points and 3.6 rebounds per game as a sophomore.[5] As a junior, Smits averaged 12.2 points and 5.7 rebounds per game, earning Missouri Valley Conference All-Most Improved Team honors. He graduated from Valparaiso in December 2018, taking graduate-level courses in the 2019 spring term to maintain his basketball eligibility; his graduation made him immediately eligible to transfer. Smits played his final season of college eligibility in 2019–20 at Butler University, choosing the Bulldogs over North Carolina State and Arizona State.[6] He averaged 3.1 points and 1.7 rebounds per game for the Bulldogs.[7]

Professional career
Smits signed his first professional contract with Real Valladolid in Spain for the 2020–21 season. On November 16, he asked for the termination of his contract for personal reasons.

crusadermoe

The timing factors are real.  New AD needs to come in first.  No way they will try to land a new coach of caliber he will cost us and who won't know who his AD boss will be.  If you want to eat the contract and plug in a caretaker as a step up, maybe thats needed. But you won't get a good hire in this off season.

JD24

They'll be transfers for sure. Edwards I would think is a leading candidate. From a distant perspective of a fan, I get the vibe that he thinks he should be one of the go to guys when I think he's a cog in the wheel ideally placed in the situation he has been in most of the season when he was removed as a consistent starter. Off the bench and get him out of there if he's mucking it up which he is prone to do offensively.

I don't see any player on  the roster who, if they go to another program, will likely improve their individual basketball situation. In fact I could see a move making their situation worse.

vuny98

Connor Barrett - Is this even a real person or just a figment of our imagination. Either way, I expect that unless there was some unknown reason he didn't play this year, he's gone next year.
Darius DeAveiro - Got to see the court a lot, I'm not real high on him, but he's still young. My guess is he's back next year.
Sheldon Edwards - I would not be surprised if he's gone. He'd be a loss for sure, but he's also not the star player we needed him to be.
Emil Freese-Vilien - Stay or graduate.
Joe Hedstrom -  Guessing he's staying since he already transferred, if he leaves not a big loss.
Kobe King -  Hope he stays (my guess is he will since he's already transferred, unless that didn't count since he sat out a year.) He would be the guy next year and now hes had time to get re-acclimated to the game.
Thomas Kithier - Hope he stays and like Kobe, my guess is he will since he's used his transfer already.
Ben Krikke - This is the one I'm most worried about. He would certainly be a target from some power 5 teams, but not as a star. Does he want to be a role player?
Cam Palesse - No idea, nor do I have an idea if I should care or not.
Preston Ruedinger - If we give him the scholarship he deserves, my guess is he stays, and I hope he does.
Trey Woodyard - Got minimal playing time, but he did see the court. I think he stays another year.
Keyondre Young - I really really hope he stays. I was most excited about him from the freshman class. He showed some strong signs early on, but also clear he needed to build some strength and needed time to adjust. Hopefully the year off gave him just that.

So I say 3 seems about the right number, but there will be a surprise in there as there always is, so I am going with 4 to transfer (not counting walk-ons other than Preston)

valpo64

Isn't it great to read and hear from our so -called "Valpo supporters" who bad mouth almost everything and constantly comment about players having reason to transfer.  I am sure these encouraging words are a big help to our program's stability and continuity, recruiting and overall team morale and I am sure the players enjoy reading these comments that originate with our loyal supporters.

VU2014

Quote from: valpo64 on February 28, 2022, 02:07:31 PM
Isn't it great to read and hear from our so -called "Valpo supporters" who bad mouth almost everything and constantly comment about players having reason to transfer.  I am sure these encouraging words are a big help to our program's stability and continuity, recruiting and overall team morale and I am sure the players enjoy reading these comments that originate with our loyal supporters.

Positive words of encouragement are not going to save the program. Food for thought.

Fans generally are pointing the finger at the Coach for the last 6 years (no small sample size), who has largely  underachieved with the talent on the roster. I am far less critical of the players and I think we have a high character group with talent, but we are rudderless in terms of strategy at the Top. I agree it's important be positive and give people fair shakes, but it's just as important to be clear eyed and honest about the state of the program. You can't sugar coat it.

I'm sure some players read this board from time to time and I would advise them against it. It's not healthy to consume negativity like this, but I am no longer going to be silent about my lack of belief in the head coach for fear of impacting morale.

Programs don't fail due to fan critiques. They generally rise and fall base on the caliber of the Head Coach leading it. I genuinely hate that I am being this pessimistic, but I think Valpo's best crack at recovering and building the program back up is with a new Head Coach. That may be a few years away.