• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Recruiting

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, February 23, 2013, 07:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

I suspect another factor is $$$. Unless you're an elite player, there really isn't much money in the ladies game.....yet. Basketball for most women is a springboard to a quality edjucation to allow them to pursue what they really want to do with their life. I still enjoy watching it as much as I do the men's game. The fact that it's still played below the rim (mostly!) keeps it true to the intent when it was developed.

IndyValpo

Quote from: ValpoHoops on February 28, 2013, 10:37:29 PMQuote from: mgovalpo on February 28, 2013, 02:06:37 PM
No worries. As I understand it, all the rest of the players being recruited are in fact post players.

Very true. Hopefully there's news on this front soon...

This as of late February and still no additional signings. 

mgovalpo

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 18, 2013, 01:41:40 PM
Quote from: ValpoHoops on February 28, 2013, 10:37:29 PMQuote from: mgovalpo on February 28, 2013, 02:06:37 PM
No worries. As I understand it, all the rest of the players being recruited are in fact post players.

Very true. Hopefully there's news on this front soon...

This as of late February and still no additional signings.

Late signing period started yesterday. News is on the way.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

She sounds pretty awesome.  Yay for Ugandans too.

In other news, our other recruit, Aliyah Isaac has been selected for the McLegends game!
http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/illinois/times-players-of-the-year-to-be-on-same-team/article_6716e9aa-70f1-58c9-af09-a45131d46a16.html
(clickworthy just for the picture juxtaposing the IL and IN Times POYs)
QuoteThe all-star team also features four players from Marian Catholic: Briana Narcissi, Melanie Ransom, Megan Walsh and Aliyah Isaac. Lowell standouts Katie Bobos and Mackenzie Kreutz will also play.

McLegends XI

When: 11 a.m. (girls), 2 p.m. (boys), today

Where: Thornton High School, Harvey

Tickets: $8 (available at the door)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

IndyValpo

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/karungi-finds-new-family-at-valparaiso/article_6caf0c82-6e51-554a-bb7f-23a133f41f59.html

This looks like a good signing.....some size, good kid.

A couple of interesting points:

She played at Northern Oklahoma - Tonkawa as opposed to Northern Oklahoma - Enid.
The article says she has 2 years left, maybe 3.  Her JC website calls her a Freshman.
The article also says there are 4 open scholarships left, but I think it is six.  Hopefully we sign at least 3 more and head into next year with 12 players. We still need C/PF help.

LaPorteAveApostle

Aliyah Isaac--8 points in the McLegends game! (They got it handed to them though, 100-79...No, I did not write the title to this article)

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/high-school-all-stars-get-a-quarter-pounding-in-mclegends/article_acb77068-6ed0-58ad-ba09-202d04a2cdd3.html

QuoteA McRobbery: Ronald McDonald was in the gym and the red-haired symbol got into the game, too. Marian Catholic's Aliyah Isaac was called for a foul that put Ronnie Mac on the free throw line.

Most agreed it was a phantom whistle.

"I did not foul Ronald McDonald," Isaac said. "I think he owes me some Chicken McNuggets."

Isaac has signed to play at Valparaiso University next school year. The 5-foot-9 guard said she can't wait to get to Crusaderville.

"I loved it as soon as I got there," Isaac said. "It's close to home (45 minutes) and I can come home on
weekends. It will be my first year playing point guard so I have a lot of work to do."
(emphasis added) Interesting...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

IndyValpo

Why is this staff having so much trouble signing players?  C/PF playing time is almost a guarantee but.....

jack

I suspect the team's record, along with a new coachinfg staff and some added uncertainty isn't helping our cause. True, a C/PF could get some floor time right away, but it seems like we always get into the signing game a bit late. I think a ton of effort needs to go into developing our young players this off season or we will be in the same boat as last season, minus our best player. The girl from Uganda can't help us next season I don't believe. With the players we lost, we certainly have some ground to make up. I think it's a must, if we are to compete at the level we plan on, we MUST get some size into our camp. I believe Horton will be our biggest of the active players unless we get some signings. That won't cut it. With as many available scholarships as we have, surely we can get some help from somewhere.

IndyValpo

Quote from: jack on April 24, 2013, 09:11:59 AM
I suspect the team's record, along with a new coachinfg staff and some added uncertainty isn't helping our cause. True, a C/PF could get some floor time right away, but it seems like we always get into the signing game a bit late. I think a ton of effort needs to go into developing our young players this off season or we will be in the same boat as last season, minus our best player. The girl from Uganda can't help us next season I don't believe. With the players we lost, we certainly have some ground to make up. I think it's a must, if we are to compete at the level we plan on, we MUST get some size into our camp. I believe Horton will be our biggest of the active players unless we get some signings. That won't cut it. With as many available scholarships as we have, surely we can get some help from somewhere.

I am afraid given our current group of nine players, without Geradot, Lange, Richards and Scott we will have a challenging year to say the least.  Our new big will play and probably a lot. You are right Horton is the only C/PF left and truely in a better situation she is a 3.

Given the open spots and a new coaching staff our seeming inability to find players is troubling.

valporun

Maybe it isn't an inability to find players, but an inability to sell the program after one year sample sales size? Granted, you would think any girl would want to go to a school where she can play immediately, like 2013-14 Valparaiso University, but when there are too many question marks, some of these girls might not want to be thrown to the wolves so fast, when they aren't even close to being the best option in girls basketball?

IndyValpo

Quote from: valporun on April 24, 2013, 09:54:37 AM
Maybe it isn't an inability to find players, but an inability to sell the program after one year sample sales size? Granted, you would think any girl would want to go to a school where she can play immediately, like 2013-14 Valparaiso University, but when there are too many question marks, some of these girls might not want to be thrown to the wolves so fast, when they aren't even close to being the best option in girls basketball?

Right, many players think I'll go there but I really hope to sit for a year or two before I play....happens all the time.

The beauty of selling a new program is you can say basically whatever you want it to be, much easier than say what our football coach has to go through.

vubballfan

Most, if not all, good high school players that are difference makers have already signed -- which leaves the coaching staff to become more creative in their recruiting efforts (transfers, graduate students...). Juco players will be available but that usually brings its own difficulties....academics, transferring classes, etc. Transfers out of our program, whether they are good players or bad, can kill a program because it is so hard to replace them when it is so late. And we have to replace 3! That was why it was of utmost importance to have a solid early recruiting class in the fall so that if there was unforseen issues we would not have so many scholarships to fill at this time. Then you will always be playing catch-up. It is probably a forgone conclusion that the program will be set back (once again) for the next year or 2 but now we just need to hope it doesn't affect the program longer than that.

New coaches have a small window of opportunity to enthusiastically sell recruits on how the program will be better under them and what their vision is. And with each passing recruiting year that message becomes harder to sell especially if the program is not getting better and maybe even worse. It is obvious which Valpo coaches have had success in selling that message and which ones have not. Also IMO, when a coach refers to their 1st recruiting class as "Year 0" - that is just an excuse. Makes me think that they weren't up for the challenge when they took the job.

jack

I'm not really sure I've ever been around players, mens or womens, that enter a college program hoping to sit for a year or two. I suppose that could happen with the big time programs where they really don't have an opportunty to play early on, but I believe for programs the size of Valpo's, these kids are coming in, in hopes of competing for minutes right off the bat.
If I'm a female big, looking to play college ball, I'm looking at the roster, and prospects, not to see what my competition is, but what kind of help I'm going to get on the floor. When you look at our roster, the one thing that stands out is that, we are flooded with guards. I believe with the new signee, that puts us at 7. We basically have guards, and Horton. To a possible recruit, this may be troublesome. I hope they peak some interest in a big or two, who are looking at scholastics first, with hopes of getting some minutes early on.
I also hope them men's program allows their practice squad to work with us again. Not having bigs to go up against in practice would be a problem as well.   

IndyValpo

Quote from: vubballfan on April 24, 2013, 11:02:35 AMMost, if not all, good high school players that are difference makers have already signed -- which leaves the coaching staff to become more creative in their recruiting efforts (transfers, graduate students...). Juco players will be available but that usually brings its own difficulties....academics, transferring classes, etc. Transfers out of our program, whether they are good players or bad, can kill a program because it is so hard to replace them when it is so late. And we have to replace 3! That was why it was of utmost importance to have a solid early recruiting class in the fall so that if there was unforseen issues we would not have so many scholarships to fill at this time. Then you will always be playing catch-up. It is probably a forgone conclusion that the program will be set back (once again) for the next year or 2 but now we just need to hope it doesn't affect the program longer than that.

New coaches have a small window of opportunity to enthusiastically sell recruits on how the program will be better under them and what their vision is. And with each passing recruiting year that message becomes harder to sell especially if the program is not getting better and maybe even worse. It is obvious which Valpo coaches have had success in selling that message and which ones have not. Also IMO, when a coach refers to their 1st recruiting class as "Year 0" - that is just an excuse. Makes me think that they weren't up for the challenge when they took the job.

All excellent points and unfortunately an accurate glimpse into the future sitting here today.

IndyValpo

Quote from: mgovalpo on April 18, 2013, 02:36:02 PMLate signing period started yesterday. News is on the way.

More than a week goes by......one additional player is the news???

jack

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 26, 2013, 09:13:05 AM
Quote from: mgovalpo on April 18, 2013, 02:36:02 PMLate signing period started yesterday. News is on the way.

More than a week goes by......one additional player is the news???

Doesn't sound too promising. So, we've picked up 2 players then? 1 guard, and 1 big?

IndyValpo

Maybe we will have a campus call-out to fill the roster.  I would think we want 12 to start the season.  We have blown through two data bases of potential recruits with little success.

Are we even recruiting at this point or have we given up....

FWalum

Quote from: IndyValpo on May 01, 2013, 09:04:48 AMAre we even recruiting at this point or have we given up....
What kind of a statement is that???
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

IndyValpo

Quote from: FWalum on May 01, 2013, 09:46:57 AMWhat kind of a statement is that???

A clever, sarcastic comment for effect or not.....

historyman

Quote from: IndyValpo on May 01, 2013, 09:52:23 AM
Quote from: FWalum on May 01, 2013, 09:46:57 AMWhat kind of a statement is that???
A clever, sarcastic comment for effect or not.....

Overall our new coach Dorow is only doing slightly better than Keith Freeman. Essentially she was outcoached by Keith in both of the Wright State games and doesn't have any history of success at the Div. I level. I think she deserves more time but it certainly hasn't been a smooth start.   
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

jack

Time management at the end of close games will be something to review in the off season i would think.

I understand they've had some "prospects" in camp lately. With the spring off season session winding down, I guess we just wait and see if we get any John Hancocks.

The coaches are in the learning process as well. We shall see what they have learned.

valporun

Don't you mean Luke Hancock, jack?

LaPorteAveApostle

VULB#62

Quote from: jack on May 01, 2013, 02:57:19 PM
The coaches are in the learning process as well. We shall see what they have learned.

But why is an established, albeit in a downswing, D-I WBB program functioning as a learn-on-the-job incubator for the coaching staff?   ???

As I understand it, they do recruit scholarship athletes in D-II, right? Except, in D-I, the sights are set higher and the talent levels are better. Doesn't everyone subscribe to the same recruit info sources?  So.... You hit the road.  You appear at HS and AAU games.  You show interest in potential players.  I realize that you don't want to just sign bodies to fill slots, but what's the real problem?