• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Baseball Fall World Series This Weekend!!!!!!

Started by Valposter, October 04, 2013, 11:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valposter

Check out the Valpo Baseball website for the preview of the Valpo Baseball Fall World Series this weekend at Emory G. Bauer Field:  Saturday, October 5th at Noon; Monday, October 7th at 3 pm; Wednesday, October 9th at 3pm (if necessary).

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2013-14/12981/fall-world-series-starts-saturday/

Come on out and support the team and check out some fall baseball.  A great way to preview Crusaders Baseball before they leave for the Dominican Republic in November and kickoff the season next February!!!! 

I for one am excited to get an early look at Coach Schmack's 2013-14 Valpo Baseball squad as they get ready to defend Back-To-Back Horizon League Conference Tournament Championships!!!!!!   

Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

valpotx

I think that it is pretty cool that they advertise our Crusader World Series more over the last few years, even mentioning the names of people on each team.  The only way people knew about it when I was playing was word of mouth among friends  :).

I am hopeful of another trip to the NCAA tourney!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

So someone is pumping money into athletics!  The baseball team off to the Dominican Republic and softball to Hawaii!!!  Nice.  ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valposter

Quote from: valpotx on October 04, 2013, 11:15:43 AMI think that it is pretty cool that they advertise our Crusader World Series more over the last few years, even mentioning the names of people on each team. The only way people knew about it when I was playing was word of mouth among friends :). I am hopeful of another trip to the NCAA tourney!!
I agree TX!  I like to see the event promoted in advance to help generate some interest and support!  Also, I really like that Valpo published the Fall World Series rosters in advance of the event!  I know this is the first time Valpo has done this since I have followed the program, and probably safe to say the first time ever.  In fact, I follow a lot of college baseball websites and this is the first time I have seen a Fall World Series roster(s) published in advance.  A great idea to help generate interest, IMHO.  Should be a great weekend.....let's hope it stays dry!!!!!
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

jetz

Update from Game 1 of Valpo's FWS:  The gray beat the black 14-2.  Some good performances were turned in by several players.  While I don't have the box score, I can remember a few guys who had impressive performances.  Jeff Edwards is fighting for an infield spot and had a pair of doubles and a single with at least three RBI.  Freshman Nate Palace hit a home run and made some nice plays at third.  Mark Johnson had at least two hits and stole a couple of bases.  Zack Walsh is getting a look at catcher and is batting this year as well as pitching.  He had a couple of hits and two RBI.  Karch looked good at the plate, but did not pitch.  Cole Webb gave up six runs in the first, but is fighting a minor arm issue and shaking off the rust.  He'll be fine by the spring.  Dalton Lundeen gave up one run over four innings and settled in nicely for the gray.  Freshmen Emerson Misch, Ray Bartolomucci, and Matt Gatewood all made nice contributions in their first collegiate action.  Karch played first and third in the game.  Kyle Schneider played second and third.  Others moved around as well.  Mahoney at SS, Manning in RF, Hara in CF seem to be the only returners who have solidified starting positions.  All the other spots will have some good competition, but there is talent at each spot.  Lots of good options for Coach Schmack.  Webb and Lundeen seem to be locks for the weekend rotation, but the #3 spot plus weekend starters will be up for grabs.  Again, some good options on the mound.  We should be strong again in 2014...

Also, 48 recruits from seven states showed up in the pouring rain Saturday for baseball camp.  Word has it that these guys were a crop of good ballplayers.  This is far and away the best showing for a baseball camp at Valpo.  Coach Schmack made this a "rain or shine" camp, so I believe the workout was moved to the ARC.  Impressive that these potential Crusaders showed up in such numbers---a testament to winning and the new coaching staff's commitment to recruiting.
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

jetz

valpotx

How are these camps thought of in regards to recruiting visits?  We didn't have such things before I came to VU, and I see all of the sports doing them nowadays
"Don't mess with Texas"

vubballfan

For D1, prospect camps are for the most part money-makers for the program. Invites go out to thousands -- the highly recruited or impact player are not wasting their time or money on individual college prospect camps. They are going to the larger exposure showcases. It's usually that player that thinks they should be D1 and want that one shot. $$$$

Valposter

Monday, October 7th was Game 2 of the Valpo Fall World Series.  The Gray Team won a hard-fought battle 6-5 to win the series 2-0.  Only 7-innings were played due to darkness.  I was able to watch the game live but do not have access to box scores.  I will provide my highlights based on memory. 

For the winning Gray team, Chris Manning looked good at the plate with a couple of hard line-drive base hits.   Zack Walsh had a big hit with a 2-rbi double down the LF line.  I believe Grant Yoder also contributed an extra-base hit. Ben Maher closed it out to get the save for the Gray team. 

For the Black team, there were a lot of freshman contributions.  Freshman Mario Losi was the starting pitcher and pitched very well with a plus fastball and excellent change-up as an out pitch.  Mario will compete significantly for the third spot in the week-end starting rotation, IMO.  Freshman catcher Ray Bartolomucci had a two-out 2-rbi single.  Freshman OF Chris Ramsey went 2-4 with 2-rbi's, including a 2-out rbi off of Mahar to pull the Black team within a run in the bottom of the 7th.  Mark Johnson had 2 hits on the day and Karch had another good day at the plate with at least one XBH I believe. 

Valpo Baseball looks to have a lot of pitching depth (more so than the last two years IMO) and a lot of overall position depth.  I'm not sure you will see a set starting eight going out for most games like you did the past couple of years.  Outside of returning starters Mahoney, Manning, and Hara you might see more platooning and playing of the hot hand offensively just becasue of the depth at most positions.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.   

At this early date it looks like the potential for another strong year for Valpo Baseball.  The future looks bright!  Go Valpo Baseball!!!   8-)     

Valpo_fan

Gentleman after your observations who do you anticipate starting?
What's your opening day lineup look like?
I believe the fall season is almost over and would like to see the thoughts of those that have been watching.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

jetz

Quote from: Valpo_fan on October 08, 2013, 12:10:03 PM
Gentleman after your observations who do you anticipate starting?
What's your opening day lineup look like?
I believe the fall season is almost over and would like to see the thoughts of those that have been watching.

As mentioned, I think only Manning in right, Hara in center, and Mahoney at short have starting spots locked up.  Biggest question marks in order are catcher, first base and third base, though I believe there are good options at each of these.  The other position players will be easily filled by either a stud freshman or, more likely, an experienced vet.  It will be a changing starting lineup as Valposter mentioned, based on the opposing pitcher, the hot bat, or the need for power vs. speed.  We have the lineup to handle whatever button Coach Schmack might want to push.  As far as pitching goes, I'll go with Webb on Friday, Lundeen on Saturday, and TBA on Sunday.  TBA has no less than a half dozen candidates vying for that third weekend starting spot.  Any of those pitchers could also get a weekday start.  We will need someone to stand out and become the regular weekend starter.  Karch, Mahar, and Walsh look like the likely late inning guys right now, but I really don't have a feel for the freshmen yet.  If the chemistry is good, I think this team has a chance to win a lot of games.  I know there is an emphasis from the new coach to come out of the gate strong.  A fast start would be a nice change from the past couple of years.

Valpo_fan

VULB#62

Quote from: jetz on October 08, 2013, 09:23:47 PM
If the chemistry is good, I think this team has a chance to win a lot of games.  I know there is an emphasis from the new coach to come out of the gate strong.  A fast start would be a nice change from the past couple of years.

Jetz, were you able to see any changes in basic playing style (for lack of a better term) or his fundamental approach to offense (e.g., wait for the big inning vs. scratch out every single run at any given opportunity)?

jetz

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 09, 2013, 08:27:02 AM
Jetz, were you able to see any changes in basic playing style (for lack of a better term) or his fundamental approach to offense (e.g., wait for the big inning vs. scratch out every single run at any given opportunity)?

That's a tough question to answer in fall ball.  The teams were picked backyard football style by two seniors.  There is no in game offensive strategy--no hit and run, bunts, etc.  Guys have the green light to run and want to swing the bat to earn a spot in the spring.  That said, I think Coach Schmack will run more.  Hara, Johnson, Manning and others can ceertainly steal 15-20 bases in a season each.  We relied almost exclusively on the bunt last year to move a guy to second base, and we were fairly successful with it.  I like the idea of putting pressure on college catchers by stealing bases without giving up the out.  I have not heard that we will definitely run more, but I think Brian is headed in that direction.

Also, if guys stay healthy, we have some power in the lineup.  You could fill out a starting roster that featured Karch, Morman, Bynum, and Manning, for example, and have a chance to significantly raise our HR total from last year.  Some issues with that:  Bynum has trouble staying healthy with nagging injuries, and Morman is coming off of back surgery in August.  He appears to be ready to go soon, and I hope he'll be on the field all season after two years off due to injury.  Karch can play a position, but do you want your closer to come in cold and pitch the ninth?  It has been done in college several times, but don't know if Coach Schmack--a pitcher--wants to go that route.  Interesting questions for the neew coach to answer.

Valposter

Someone asked about starting lineups so I thought I would engage in a little generic Valpo Baseball Hot Stove conversation.  I have played (high school and post-high school), coached (high school and elite travel), studied and watched a lot of baseball throughout my life.  Yes, I am an admitted baseball lifer and geek.  I have a couple of thoughts on lineup construction in D1 college baseball.  Power in the college game has really been de-emphasized by most D1 college programs since the regulation of the "deadened" BBCOR bats (aluminum bats with little to no "trampoline effect"  so that they perform much more like a wood bat).  BBCOR went into effect in the 2012 season in high school and the 2011 season in college.  Basically, BBCOR is like hitting a baseball with a lead pipe.  The intent of BBCOR is to protect pitchers from injury from hard come-backers.  The last few years since BBCOR bats were mandated in high school and college baseball there has predictably been very little power in the college game (even major D1 programs like in the SEC).  Homerun totals are WAY down throughout all levels of college baseball.  As such, college coaches are constructing their lineups (and rosters) more in line with "Small Ball" and "Moneyball" philosophies in mind.  Win with pitching, defense, and efficient, effective offense.  On offense, coaches are empasizing on-base percentage (OBP, i.e. the ability to "not make an out"), contact (minimize strikeouts and putting ball in play), productive at-bats, at-bat management (plate discipline and pitch selectivity, deep pitch counts, work the pitcher, hit hitters pitches, spit on pitchers pitches), and baserunning (bunt for basehits, stealing, taking extra base, hit and runs, but not sac bunts except in late innings because they give away outs).  Basically, On-Base Percentage is the percentage of time a hitter reaches base safely via a hit, walk or hit-by-pitch.  The kind of hitter we are talking about here is the professional hitter like Joey Votto of the Reds who never gives away an at-bat and deems it his primary job as a hitter to "not make an out" during each at-bat.  Having 9 Votto-type hitters in the lineup would be the ideal lineup.  The more guys Valpo can get in the lineup that can give you tough, quality at-bats, get on base, make things happen and pressure the pitcher and defense while on base, and ultimately score runs are the types of players that we need to stock our lineup with, imo. 

Power hitters in the college game may get you 2-4 homeruns a season with a BBCOR bat, but you usually sacrifice a lot of the qualities above to get those 2-4 homeruns.  Obviously, if you have the rare hitter that hits for both power (Slugging Percentage, SLG%) and high on-base percentage (OBP) with today's BBCOR bats, that is a great hitter (he will have a very high OPS) and he is in your lineup in the 3 or 4-hole no questions asked and you play him until he leaves in the first round of the MLB draft after his junior season.  By the way, OPS is On-Base Percentage (OBP) plus Slugging Percentage (SLG%) and is a great statistical measurement for a hitter's total overall effectiveness because it measures a hitter's ability to consistenly hit for power and to consistently get on base.  But a power guy with low OBP really isn't the best option to maximize team offensive output in today's college game.   I think most college coaches would acknowledge that sacrificing high OBP for a little extra power is not a good trade-off in today's BBCOR-era college baseball.

As far as sacrifice bunting goes, analytical statistics validate that sac bunting in the early and middle innings decreases a team's average runs scored per game in the long-run.  I can't cite the specific statistical research, but Sabremetricians have crunched the numbers and proven that it unequivocably does not make sense to sac bunt in the early and middle innings.  It does make common sense if you think about it that if you only get 27 outs a game, giving away 5 outs per game (19%) to move runners up one base is a losing proposition.  You are basically giving away 20% (at a minimum; more if you factor in the probability of stringing multiple at-bats together without making an out) of your offensive opportunity to score.  In college basketball, that would be like your opponent having 20 minutes of offensive ball possession while you willingly give away 4 minutes of offensive ball possession and leave your team only 16 minutes to score.  You have willingly put yourself in a deep hole.  And in baseball, it is an even-more pronouncehd effect.  You could theroetically have 9 hitters hit safely between each out made.  Giving away 5 outs in that scenario is huge because you are sacrificing 45 at-bats in which hitters reach base safely (i.e 45 baserunners and a crazy amount of runs scored) in that scenario.  Admittedly an exaggerated scenario to prove a point.

To summarize (and make a long-story short):  fill the line-up with guys that can get on base consistently (i.e. not make outs consistently), steal more if it can be done effectively (you don't want to give away outs on the bases either), and don't sacrifice bunt until the late innings of a close game.  This approach also puts high-leverage pitches and innings on the oppossing starting pitcher and makes him pitch from the stretch more, gets to the bullpen earlier, gives you more at-bats against the weaker middle-relief pitchers, and wears out the oppossing team's bullpen in a series.      ;D

Valposter

The Valpo Baseball Team and Individual pictures are updated on the website:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/roster/

Go Valpo Baseball!!!!!

valpo64

valpotx

Yeah, our unis have always lagged behind a little bit. 

Great analysis on the recent trend in college baseball Valposter.  I just have to mention that I hit a homerun with a BBCOR bat this summer, and you can barely tell that it hits your bat.  Any normal hit is like smacking the ball with a tennis racket, as the bat does not provide any 'oomph' at all compared to what it used to do.  I love pitching against these bats, as it seems like the same results when we switch over to wood bats in the Fall season!
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

Quote from: valpotx on October 11, 2013, 04:47:40 PM
Yeah, our unis have always lagged behind a little bit. 

Great analysis on the recent trend in college baseball Valposter.  I just have to mention that I hit a homerun with a BBCOR bat this summer, and you can barely tell that it hits your bat.  Any normal hit is like smacking the ball with a tennis racket, as the bat does not provide any 'oomph' at all compared to what it used to do.  I love pitching against these bats, as it seems like the same results when we switch over to wood bats in the Fall season!

valpotx, I bet you wish BBCOR bats were mandated when you pitched for Valpo!!!

valpotx

That would have lowered the ERA a good bit, so yes  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter