• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Basketball 2015-2016

Started by IndyValpo, November 09, 2015, 10:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NativeCheesehead

Every situation is unique, and to compare this to Homer's first four years is interesting, but it's two completely different situations. Take out the Detroit tourney win, and this team regressed almost all year. So having watched most of the games this season, i ask these questions. (And give my opinion.)

Did the team quit on the coach?  Sure doesn't seem like it, effort seemed very good game in and game out.

Is our talent level significantly below the other teams in the conference? Outside of GB, not really.

So that leads me to the coaching change. It seems Dorow can recruit fairly well for our level. But when you start seeing teams a second time and they've adjusted and you haven't....

I don't know if she's solicited any advice from the other side of the offices, or if they would have the time or the inclination to help, but she does have a Valpo grad on her staff, so there's no excuse to not know what you were getting into. DII-III to D-I hires seems to be boom or bust (Darner looks pretty good right now) and some of the skills you need to be successful on that level can't be taught.

As I've said before it all comes down to this for me. I believe a program on our level should aspire to compete for a conference championship every year. Is that a tall order here? Absolutely. Does that excuse mediocrity? Absolutely not.

VULB#62

Sounds like a good crop of recruits. They were announced in November with info only about them through their junior seasons.  This completes their backgrounds.

From The VUAthletics site:

Postseason Accolades Roll in for Valpo WBB Incoming Freshmen
Thursday, March 17, 2016
A quintet of all-state honors highlight this fall's incoming class of freshmen for the Valpo women's basketball team. Grace Hales (Cromwell, Ind./Westview), Maya Meredith (Indianapolis, Ind./Cathedral), Caitlin Morrison (Glenview, Ill./Glenbrook South), Marlee Profitt (Medina, Ohio/Highland), and Addison Stoller (Cissna Park, Ill./Cissna Park) all concluded their prep careers this past month and will join the Crusaders in the fall of 2016.

Hales (6-0 F) averaged 19.2 points, 3.2 assists, and 4.7 rebounds per game in her season at Westview. She led the Warriors to a 21-6 record and an appearance in the IHSAA Class 2A Girls Basketball State Tournament. Westview captured four sectional titles in Hales' four years. She was named All-State by both Indiana Coaches of Girls Sports Association (ICGSA) and the Indiana Basketball Coaches Association (IBCA). Hales departs Westview as the all-time leading scorer (1,600 points), the single-season scoring record holder (513 points), and the single-game watermark for three-pointers made (7).

Meredith (5-7 G) was named honorable mention All-State after averaging 16.6 points, 5.6 assists, 4.4 rebounds, 3.2 steals, and 2.0 blocks per game this season at Cathedral High School in Indianapolis. She surpassed the 1,000-point plateau in her final campaign with the Fighting Irish. In addition to her All-State recognition, Meredith was elected First Team All-City, Most Outstanding Teammate, and team Most Valuable Player.

Morrison (6-1 G) amassed 16.6 points, 7.1 rebounds, and 54 three-pointers en route to Second Team All-State accolades out of Glenbrook South High School in Glenview. She was a member of the 1,000-point club while being named to the Central Suburban League All-Conference Team. Morrison was selected to the All-Tournament Team for both the Mundelein Thanksgiving Tournament and the Holiday Classic. She shot 55% from the field in 2015-16. Caitlin's father, Scott, was a standout on the Valparaiso men's basketball team in the early 90's.

Profits (6-1 F) was well on her way to 1,000 career points this past season until a knee injury torpedoed her final month and a half. The 6'1'' power forward rattled off 17.6 points, 9.8 rebounds, 3.2 steals, and 1.5 blocks per game with the Highland (Ohio) Hornets. Profitt did collect honorable mention All-State on top of First Team All-Suburban League and All Tri-County. She was touted as the 38th-ranked player in the state of Ohio as well as a First Team All-Ohio selection in the preseason.

Stellar (6-0 F) will graduate from Cissna Park High School as one of the best to don a Timberwolves' uniform. An Illinois Basketball Coaches Association First Team All-State selection, Stoller holds the school record in career rebounds (1,110), steals (381), and assists (358). She concluded her prep career with 1,807 points, the second-most in program history. This season, she averaged 18.1 points, 9.8 rebounds, 3.5 steals, and 2.5 assists per contest. Stoller carried the Timberwolves to a 29-3 record and a berth in the 2016 IHSA Girls' Basketball State Championships.

Latest release:
http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2015-16/15350/postseason-accolades-roll-in-for-valpo-wbb-incoming-freshmen/#.Vurx6cc4ko8

November release:
http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2015-16/15122/womens-basketball-signs-five-to-nlis/#.Vurz98c4ko8

vu72

The height has been sorely needed.  We only had four players over 6'0" on the team last year and one of those graduated.  Next year we will have seven 6 or taller, a "big" change!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

jack

I like your enthusiasm. I still don't feel it will matter until they bring someone in that knows how to coach "bigs."

ValpoFan101

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 17, 2016, 01:21:25 PMSounds like a good crop of recruits. They were announced in November with info only about them through their junior seasons.  This completes their backgrounds. From The VUAthletics site: Postseason Accolades Roll in for Valpo WBB Incoming Freshmen Thursday, March 17, 2016 A quintet of all-state honors highlight this fall's incoming class of freshmen for the Valpo women's basketball team. Grace Hales (Cromwell, Ind./Westview), Maya Meredith (Indianapolis, Ind./Cathedral), Caitlin Morrison (Glenview, Ill./Glenbrook South), Marlee Profitt (Medina, Ohio/Highland), and Addison Stoller (Cissna Park, Ill./Cissna Park) all concluded their prep careers this past month and will join the Crusaders in the fall of 2016. Hales (6-0 F) averaged 19.2 points, 3.2 assists, and 4.7 rebounds per game in her season at Westview. She led the Warriors to a 21-6 record and an appearance in the IHSAA Class 2A Girls Basketball State Tournament. Westview captured four sectional titles in Hales' four years. She was named All-State by both Indiana Coaches of Girls Sports Association (ICGSA) and the Indiana Basketball Coaches Association (IBCA). Hales departs Westview as the all-time leading scorer (1,600 points), the single-season scoring record holder (513 points), and the single-game watermark for three-pointers made (7). Meredith (5-7 G) was named honorable mention All-State after averaging 16.6 points, 5.6 assists, 4.4 rebounds, 3.2 steals, and 2.0 blocks per game this season at Cathedral High School in Indianapolis. She surpassed the 1,000-point plateau in her final campaign with the Fighting Irish. In addition to her All-State recognition, Meredith was elected First Team All-City, Most Outstanding Teammate, and team Most Valuable Player. Morrison (6-1 G) amassed 16.6 points, 7.1 rebounds, and 54 three-pointers en route to Second Team All-State accolades out of Glenbrook South High School in Glenview. She was a member of the 1,000-point club while being named to the Central Suburban League All-Conference Team. Morrison was selected to the All-Tournament Team for both the Mundelein Thanksgiving Tournament and the Holiday Classic. She shot 55% from the field in 2015-16. Caitlin's father, Scott, was a standout on the Valparaiso men's basketball team in the early 90's. Profits (6-1 F) was well on her way to 1,000 career points this past season until a knee injury torpedoed her final month and a half. The 6'1'' power forward rattled off 17.6 points, 9.8 rebounds, 3.2 steals, and 1.5 blocks per game with the Highland (Ohio) Hornets. Profitt did collect honorable mention All-State on top of First Team All-Suburban League and All Tri-County. She was touted as the 38th-ranked player in the state of Ohio as well as a First Team All-Ohio selection in the preseason. Stellar (6-0 F) will graduate from Cissna Park High School as one of the best to don a Timberwolves' uniform. An Illinois Basketball Coaches Association First Team All-State selection, Stoller holds the school record in career rebounds (1,110), steals (381), and assists (358). She concluded her prep career with 1,807 points, the second-most in program history. This season, she averaged 18.1 points, 9.8 rebounds, 3.5 steals, and 2.5 assists per contest. Stoller carried the Timberwolves to a 29-3 record and a berth in the 2016 IHSA Girls' Basketball State Championships. Latest release: http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2015-16/15350/postseason-accolades-roll-in-for-valpo-wbb-incoming-freshmen/#.Vurx6cc4ko8 November release: http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2015-16/15122/womens-basketball-signs-five-to-nlis/#.Vurz98c4ko8

usc4valpo

then women's game has a serious problem where there a few elite teams and about 350 also rans. Connecticut is way too dominating and it is lowering interest in the game.

historyman

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 21, 2016, 04:41:39 PM
then women's game has a serious problem where there a few elite teams and about 350 also rans. Connecticut is way too dominating and it is lowering interest in the game.

There was interest in the women's game before UConn?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

jack

Funny guy Historyman! Actually, the interest has grown and is still growing. Much like the men's game, there are always elite teams, and many also runs. Obviously there are far more elite teams on the men's side than the ladies side. Probably because there far more men playing than women. I think one reason for the big disparity is the quality of coaching. In some manner, more is asked of the coaching staff for the ladies game than the men's. The men's game has better talent to work with. I feel the women's coaches that realize the most success do so, because they are able to assess and individual players strengths and weaknesses and put them, and their teams in the best position to be successful. Getting the most out of the talent you have separates the good coaches from the great coaches. Granted, the elite teams are elite because they are able to attract better talent because of their success, but the mark of a really good coach is one that can increase their success measurably from season to season. Based on talent alone, we were better than a 10-21 team this season. I'm sure everyone has their own opinion of why we finished with that mark.
There must still be a decent interest in the women's game as they are still issuing scholarships to play, and attendance at the pre-college tournaments is still on the rise. 

valpotx

Dorow gets extended another 2 seasons:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2015-16/15369/dorow-inks-contract-extension-through-2017-2018-season/#.VvGT-uIrKM8

I actually agree with this approach.  She did have a few good recent recruiting classes, with the key players being Juniors and Sophomores next season.  If she can't get more wins next year, she should be let go at that time, since her players will be more experienced.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on March 22, 2016, 01:51:32 PM

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2015-16/15369/dorow-inks-contract-extension-through-2017-2018-season/#.VvGT-uIrKM8

I actually agree with this approach.  She did have a few good recent recruiting classes, with the key players being Juniors and Sophomores next season.  If she can't get more wins next year, she should be let go at that time, since her players will be more experienced.

Maybe the AD could provide more salary space for a bigs coach?

IndyValpo

Quote from: bbtds on March 22, 2016, 03:57:47 PM
Quote from: valpotx on March 22, 2016, 01:51:32 PM

Maybe the AD could provide more salary space for a bigs coach?
http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-local-roundup-st-0323-20160322-story.html
http://www.valpotorch.com/sports/article_4f383c12-f0fc-11e5-b54e-a3d17fa87934.html

As we bask in the glow of the NIT I am struck by how low we have set the bar on the Women's side.....

IndyValpo

http://wlfi.com/2016/03/23/whitney-jennings-transferring-from-iowa/

We are certainly closer to home.....we need to be chasing her big time

covufan

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 25, 2016, 08:14:00 AM

We are certainly closer to home.....we need to chasing her big time
Not sure how many scholarships we have available, but she would be a good one to have on the team!

IndyValpo

Quote from: covufan on March 25, 2016, 12:09:59 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on March 25, 2016, 08:14:00 AM

We are certainly closer to home.....we need to chasing her big time
Not sure how many scholarships we have available, but she would be a good one to have on the team!
Good point, short of someone leaving we do not have an opening...

VULB#62

Wonder if Freeman is going with him to New Mexico?

[tweet]715927979432538113[/tweet]

ValpoHoops

If they would keep him at WSU as head coach, I would have to imagine he stays. This could very well be his last opportunity to be an HC.

valpopal

Valpo's women's team is losing its best player. Jasmyn Walker is going to transfer.  :(

VULB#62

Oh, oh! Bad news comes in threes.  What's next?

ARCInsider

I believe it's time to admit our mistake and ask/beg Keith to return.  We would have been to the NCAA tourney 1-2 times if we had stayed the course with him.

valpotx

Wow, that sets our women's program back quite a bit.  That hurts almost as much as when Tabitha G went to IU for her last year.
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

Quote from: ARCInsider on April 06, 2016, 11:59:42 AM
I believe it's time to admit our mistake and ask/beg Keith to return.  We would have been to the NCAA tourney 1-2 times if we had stayed the course with him.
Please change your name....you are so far from an insider. Freeman drove us off the cliff. Dorow has left us there. No one with any knowledge would believe we would have gone to a ncaa game or two under any coach. You do realize Green Bay plays in the Horizon. And no we do not want him back. New blood perhaps...

ARCInsider

Sounds like you have something personal with Keith.  Not interested in that drama, thanks.

And I've been on every development far before it happened.  I don't post here much and with this kind of feedback, I'll continue you that.

valpotx

Why would we remove her from our 2015-2016 roster?  She played the entire season for us.  Even though she is leaving, you usually leave them on a roster tied to a season they played in.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: ARCInsider on April 06, 2016, 11:59:42 AM

NOT!  Was that a joke?

jack

Losing Walker is a huge blow. She may be one of the most athletic players we've seen in a long, long time. The last 2 years had to be very frustrating for her. She deserved to have experienced more success. Regardless of the incoming talent, if this team doesn't realize a philosophical change, it will continue to under achieve. I wish Walker all the best and thank her for her contributions. Makes you wonder how much deeper in the cellar we would have been had she not been with us last season.
As for Freeman, things started unraveling for him when Ladd decided to bail out. Had she stayed, I honestly believe we would have had a lot more success which would have attracted more quality players and led to even more success. Not only did he lose Ladd, he fell victim to the injury bug and had to play with a patched up squad. I recall a few games where we only dressed 6, and one where we only dressed 5. Even with that, he pulled out 8 wins, which is about what we did the last two seasons with a full compliment of players. I'm not saying Freeman would have taken us to the promise land, but I just don't think he gets the credit he deserves for what he was able to accomplish his last 2 seasons here.