• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

They Want Coach Drew

Started by HC, March 23, 2016, 02:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hailcrusaders

Now it appears SLU released a statement claiming the Ford hire is just rumor. No official hires have been made. What a cluster.
#CrusadersForever

ValpoDad89

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshbenjamin/2016/03/29/for-bryce-drew-people-matter-more-than-results/#6fea0a9f7648

That's all I need to know about the man that is Bryce Drew to be a forever fan. Jose, good point about our deep run as many attractive jobs have been filled except one, Vandy and Wade, who was thier frontrunner accepted an extension at VCU, which leads me to believe Bryce is their current target. I think that's our only worry as of now. But this NIT run may make he think he can stay here and do some damage next season which he can. He doesn't seem to be the type to leave his players when they have an opportunity to do something more special than winning the NIT but who knows?

Valpower

Quote from: bbtds on March 29, 2016, 11:16:01 PM
Quote from: hailcrusaders on March 29, 2016, 09:54:53 PM
Quote from: jloose128 on March 29, 2016, 09:17:32 PMNot that I was super concerned, but the Saint Louis job is no longer open; they are going with Travis Ford. It'll be fun to watch their message board melt down over this hiring.

I just can't get over the fact that one of their board's more frequent users has a profile pic of Bryce Drew.

Budweiser delution syndrome.  :-)
I'm going to help you out, bbtds. It's "delusion". To use it in a sentence: Budweiser drinkers are suffering from the delusion that a dilution of water and urine is beer.

valpotx

They have a very delusional fan base, if they truly believe that Bryce had a verbal agreement with SLU to become their next coach.  I can't believe that he has had any discussions with other schools at this point, when he is still coaching his team...if he has done such a thing, shame on him for not waiting, but I don't see him doing such a thing.
"Don't mess with Texas"

rogerwilco

FWIW:
Jeff BorzelloVerified account
‏@jeffborzello
So Saint Louis just sent out a release: "Saint Louis University has not hired a men's basketball coach. The process is ongoing."

crusadermoe

Guess we all concur that Vandy is the only possible lure.   But my gut like so many other posters my gut says he stays for the nucleus of Peters, Hammink, Walker, and I personally think Skara is in the core too.     

My gut also says Powell stays for 2016-2017.  But after good -bye to Peters, all bets are off.    The cupboard at VU won't be totally bare, but it's the logical time to let another coach take the next wave.  Powell departure more likley than Bryce.    He seems like a fantasitic fit at countless programs who want a mentor type coach to guide talent and recruiting anywhere....even a jump to a power-5 HC.

So thrilled we are in NIT finals.    And like I've said earlier, I honestly think we will be better next year and certainly so if Keith can return.

vu84v2

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on March 29, 2016, 11:34:16 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshbenjamin/2016/03/29/for-bryce-drew-people-matter-more-than-results/#6fea0a9f7648

That's all I need to know about the man that is Bryce Drew to be a forever fan. Jose, good point about our deep run as many attractive jobs have been filled except one, Vandy and Wade, who was thier frontrunner accepted an extension at VCU, which leads me to believe Bryce is their current target. I think that's our only worry as of now. But this NIT run may make he think he can stay here and do some damage next season which he can. He doesn't seem to be the type to leave his players when they have an opportunity to do something more special than winning the NIT but who knows?

Great article, thank you for posting. This article says as much about great leadership and management as it does about the best ways to coach a sports team. Glad that Forbes published it and, again, glad to see Bryce represent the university and the program so well.

bbtds

Quote from: Valpower on March 29, 2016, 11:37:56 PM
Quote from: bbtds on March 29, 2016, 11:16:01 PM
Quote from: hailcrusaders on March 29, 2016, 09:54:53 PM
Quote from: jloose128 on March 29, 2016, 09:17:32 PMNot that I was super concerned, but the Saint Louis job is no longer open; they are going with Travis Ford. It'll be fun to watch their message board melt down over this hiring.

I just can't get over the fact that one of their board's more frequent users has a profile pic of Bryce Drew.

Budweiser delution syndrome.  :-)
I'm going to help you out, bbtds. It's "delusion". To use it in a sentence: Budweiser drinkers are suffering from the delusion that a dilution of water and urine is beer.

Yes, I was aware of the spelling error in a previous post. I was poking a little fun at myself for that mistake. 

VULB#62

In light of this year's successes, I particularly liked this statement by the SLU President.  I hope President Heckler articulates  the same message to our alumni. our community and to our athletes.

"Our University strategic plan recognizes that our athletic programs increase SLU's national visibility and institutional pride," said SLU President Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D. "I am convinced that Coach Ford will bring the energy, experience, recruitment skills and coaching acumen needed to position our men's basketball program among the best in the country. He is also a person who will engage our community, advance our mission and build our brand."

In recognizing what great exposure our MBB team is bringing to "tiny" Valparaiso University, I also hope that, win or lose tonight at MSG, it serves as an impetus to strengthen the athletic budget, improve facilities immediately, and leverage every possible avenue toward further development.  To be honest, I have received very little in the way of VU email blasts (one exception, the pregame NYC events email) or letters so far that take advantage of this once in every 20 years series of events to solidify alumni support and giving.  I hope that the 'Proud to Be Valpo' campaign this April really pushes what these young men and the coaches have achieved.

Don't you think it's time for the administration to lay out a public plan for improvement of athletics that recognizes it is, by far, the most prominent meaning of exposing VU to the world?  In today's world, passive does not cut it. 

NativeCheesehead

I've been to a couple alumni functions with Heckler and my general impression is that he's a guy who gets it. Didn't have any chance to talk with him one on one and didn't hear him specifically mention basketball, but he seems to me to be someone who understands the value of a vision and the steps needed to get there. I would be curious if anyone has heard him speak specifically of MBB in any capacity that they can share.

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 31, 2016, 09:03:26 AM
In light of this year's successes, I particularly liked this statement by the SLU President.  I hope President Heckler articulates  the same message to our alumni. our community and to our athletes.

"Our University strategic plan recognizes that our athletic programs increase SLU's national visibility and institutional pride," said SLU President Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D. "I am convinced that Coach Ford will bring the energy, experience, recruitment skills and coaching acumen needed to position our men's basketball program among the best in the country. He is also a person who will engage our community, advance our mission and build our brand."

In recognizing what great exposure our MBB team is bringing to "tiny" Valparaiso University, I also hope that, win or lose tonight at MSG, it serves as an impetus to strengthen the athletic budget, improve facilities immediately, and leverage every possible avenue toward further development.  To be honest, I have received very little in the way of VU email blasts (one exception, the pregame NYC events email) or letters so far that take advantage of this once in every 20 years series of events to solidify alumni support and giving.  I hope that the 'Proud to Be Valpo' campaign this April really pushes what these young men and the coaches have achieved.

Don't you think it's time for the administration to lay out a public plan for improvement of athletics that recognizes it is, by far, the most prominent meaning of exposing VU to the world?  In today's world, passive does not cut it.
Valpo has been all over this NIT run on social media. I've been critical in the past over the various Valpo social media accounts, but whomever is running it now is doing a much better job. There could be a little bit more fan interaction on Twitter - but it's great the official University account interacts with fans.

VULB#62

That's great for the "younger" alums who are social media conscious, but some oldsters might not be that attuned to social media, and, by and large, oldsters with empty nests have more discretionary income to donate at a higher level than young people with growing families.  Just saying that all avenues of communication need to be leveraged heavily.  And start asking for donations.

Goes back to a pet peeve of mine regarding how the university seeks donations. They quietly go after "lead donors" for projects (like the improvements to the BB locker room and the improvements to the Hilltop practice gym), but they don't publicize planned projects and set up specific campaigns. Though there may be one, I don't get the feeling that a real plan is in place -- it appears that we are just moving ahead on an ad hoc basis.  I'd love to see a targeted campaign for ARC Improvements with a laid out plan and objectives (e.g., improved chair back seating for the both sides of the lower arena, installing LED lighting, installing a full set of bleachers on the east end to make it a bowl, moving the concessions, etc) -- any sign of tangible thinking about the future.  It's so much easier to donate when the target is clear.  A publicized, targeted campaign will not only pull in more casual donors but might attract a few big single donations that otherwise might not have happened.

valpo64

Valpo knows how to do it..it is just a matter of priorities.  Lead gifts are always the way to go, ask the professionals.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpo64 on March 31, 2016, 12:38:30 PM
Valpo knows how to do it..it is just a matter of priorities.  Lead gifts are always the way to go, ask the professionals.

Yeah, I question that too.

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 31, 2016, 09:03:26 AM

Does anyone know if a similar statement is in Valpo's strategic plan?  I doubt it. If there were such a statement, the plan would include a specific strategic initiative for elevating the profile of Valpo athletics in support of the university's master plan. If such an initiative exists, I'm not aware of it.

valpopal

FWIW: Nothing official yet, but some sources are indicating Bryce will be named the new head coach at Georgia Tech this weekend.

NativeCheesehead

Just starting to bubble up on Twitter Bryce to GT is a done deal.  Not from any of the sources id consider solid yet. But.....

oklahomamick

Someone on twitter reported Vandy
CRUSADERS!!!

Chairback

I have to assume we will know by end of day today.  It would be great PR with the final four going on for the school he goes to.

I'm ok with Bryce leaving.  I think it's time for him to move on to something else.  With the current state of the HL and us not moving to a better conf. it makes sense for him.  I'm kind of curious what our team would look like without a Drew at helm.  Would we finally beat a T25 team?  Could we finally make a run in the NCAA without a miracle of a shot like 18 years ago. 

We might be surprised.

SanityLost17

Georgia Tech would be an interesting choice.  Not exactly the school I would envision him at, but a job in the ACC is a job in the ACC.   

Perhaps it is time for Bryce to leave.  We have a fabulous assistant coach in Powell who is ready to be a head coach.   Perhaps Bryce sees that this is the best time to move up and leave the program in good hands with a good coach. 

talksalot

Looking at GaTech roster...   Moussa's Brother??? I don't know...

Abdoulaye Gueye
Class:  Sophomore
Hometown:  Dakar, Senegal
High School:  Central Park Christian (Birmingham, Ala.)
Height / Weight:  6-9 / 218
Position:  Forward
Birthdate:  11/24/1994

chef

There is nothing to this...sideline hoops has 120 followers. Don't believe it. Absolutely nothing to it.