• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

They Want Coach Drew

Started by HC, March 23, 2016, 02:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

Thanks to Bryce for all he has done.  He stayed longer than brother Scott, but we knew it was going to happen sooner or later.  Well, Homer never left and he had opportunities.  Maybe one day he will be back...Can't help but to wonder if we would have been in the NCAAT if that would have bought Bryce a couple more years at Valpo.  Personally, I think it wouldn't have mattered Bryce would leave no matter the success or non succes but only at the right opportunity such as Vandy.
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on April 04, 2016, 02:30:07 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen Indiana Wesleyan play? Greg Tonagel has had a ton of success there. Just curious as to what a Greg Tonagel offense and defense system and style looks like. I confess I've never watched them play but I've heard he's a pretty good coach. My friend went there IWU and he said Tonagel would be a great hire for VU and that its sort of VU situation with Bryce Drew. They've know for the last 3 years that he's going to start getting D1 offers and that its only a matter of time before someone snatches him away from the program.

From my scraped text on the other string:

Known for defense, the Wildcats led the nation in scoring defense at 59 points per game at the completion of the 2006-07 regular season. They also ranked in the top ten in the nation in six defensive categories in the 2009-2010 season. Although it all starts on the defensive end for the Wildcats, an up-tempo, aggressive offensive style that utilizes skilled and creative play has rejuvenated Luckey Arena into a fantastic place to experience a basketball game. Tonagel and his staff have introduced an innovative offensive style that players want to be a part of and fans desire to see.
     Perhaps the biggest influence that Tonagel and the staff have had on the program is the work ethic that they have instilled on and off the court. Tonagel's teams have passion and toughness. Whether it is writing a paper, helping a neighbor or working out in the gym, Tonagel demands commitment and 100-percent effort from each student-athlete.
     Many consider his weight and conditioning programs to be as hard as any around. Players learn to bond together, which is the only way to survive these grueling workouts.

VU2014

Haha maybe down the road. If Powell or one of his assistant's gets the job I could see Bryce being a friend and scheduling Valpo to a 2 @home-1 away deal with Vandy sometime in the next 5 years. He'll probably wait till Peters graduates.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Curious as to what the buyout was. Since Bryce was signed for 7 more years, I'm assuming they had to pay Valpo north of $1.5 million... does it work like that? I'm guessing Bryce is getting a similar figure per year at Vanderbilt.

Using the buyout money, Valpo may be able to afford a higher profile coach, or be able to invest more in recruiting with a cheaper hc salary.

Vinny

This is a sad day in VU athletics history and a frustrating one I might add. From The Shot on March 13th, 1998 until April 4th, 2016, the university had a chance to make VU a national player. But it didn't matter enough. So now the program faces the threat of its best days being behind it.

Best of luck to Bryce. It will be fun to consistently watch him in the NCAA Tourney. If he takes Alec with him, this team's best chance to get back to it may not come come until the 2020's. What could've been...  :( :(

atkins

Cant' blame a guy for trying to better his lot in life, albeit a high-salaried lot.  I guess Bryce's definition of the term "special" opportunity differs substantially from mine.  Vandy is not even remotely akin to the Boston Celtics calling for Brad Stevens (Not that Bryce's level of coaching is even remotely comparable to Stevens' at this time).  I am also surprised that Bryce did not see his star recruiting class at Valpo through to the end; I am sure many Vandy-like jobs will be open in 2017. 

I don't see Bryce staying at Vandy more than a couple of years.  He will be shooting for a higher-profile job.  For an up-and-coming star coach, Vandy is not a destination school -- It's a stopping-off point, just as Valpo would only be a brief whistle stop along the way for most up-and-coming coaches.  We were fortunate that Bryce made us more than a whistle stop. 

Roger will make a terrific head coach, and I hope he will be offered the job and stay....at least for a couple of years until a better/bigger opportunity comes calling.  Otherwise, Valpo could be back to the old revolving carousel of "first-time" fresh-on-the job D1 head coaches.  Valpo has historically been a frugal institution (to its credit and detriment, respectively), so I don't see us splurging on a "name" replacement. 

vu72

Quote from: a3uge on April 04, 2016, 04:20:43 PM
Curious as to what the buyout was. Since Bryce was signed for 7 more years, I'm assuming they had to pay Valpo north of $1.5 million... does it work like that? I'm guessing Bryce is getting a similar figure per year at Vanderbilt.

Using the buyout money, Valpo may be able to afford a higher profile coach, or be able to invest more in recruiting with a cheaper hc salary.

Really hard to say as Bryce is the one breaking the contract.  Buyouts usually work when a school wants to get rid of a coach.  The release may include some sort of "buyout" or require Vandy to do a home and home with Valpo.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sliman

Put this in the wishful thinking category.  Bryce and Homer always said that Bryce and Scott would not play against each other except in the NCAA tournament.  Baylor has a game scheduled at Vandy next season.  Perhaps Bryce will check the schedule and decide to stay at "home."   ;D

hailcrusaders

Three Horizon coaches next year that were around in 13-14:

Greg Kampe
Gary Waters

...and Jerry Slocum.
#CrusadersForever

hailcrusaders

Quote from: sliman on April 04, 2016, 06:17:47 PMPut this in the wishful thinking category.  Bryce and Homer always said that Bryce and Scott would not play against each other except in the NCAA tournament.  Baylor has a game scheduled at Vandy next season.  Perhaps Bryce will check the schedule and decide to stay at "home."   ;D

If no one backs out, I'll go out of my way to watch that one.
#CrusadersForever

ValpoDad89

vu72, guaranteed money protects the coach, buyouts protect the school. He signed a 10 year deal 2 years ago. The reason they gave him a 10 year contract with a "buyout" clause was so the University could get compensated in the event he decided to leave. Buyout means he can leave but he or the University he's going to in every case buys out the contract from the current school. The more years left on the contract usually increases to buyout amount. Very common in college athletics these days. I don't blame Bryce one bit but shrewd and common sense really on Valpo's part. Helps pay a new coach, the search for a new coach and bank any money left over. Bryce did the university, which I'm sure was his motivation (not hurt Valpo)  a favor in the event the left.

VU2014

How about the athletic department stock that buy out $ away and start saving for a new arena... long-term investment

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on April 04, 2016, 12:51:24 PMGore should go with Bryce as well

Luke is from Tennessee, also.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Quote from: VU2014 on April 04, 2016, 02:30:07 PMhas anyone seen Indiana Wesleyan play? Greg Tonagel has had a ton of success there. Just curious as to what a Greg Tonagel offense and defense system and style looks like. I confess I've never watched them play but I've heard he's a pretty good coach.

There were some Indiana Wesleyan games on ESPN 3 this season. I believe there were some comments on some of the games in the Greg Tonagel thread
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

Tonagel is an interesting idea. Perhaps similar to Bo Ryan's journey.

VULB#62

Powell or Tonagel.  Both bring great upsides, but both have downsides in terms of experience (either as a HC or in D-I).  As they say in Wisconsin:  "It's a horse a piece."  Glad I am not Mark right now  :coffeetime:

VULB#62

Wonder who Bryce will take with him from the current staff    :-\  Vandy will be a pay upgrade for all involved. Assistant pay would probably be >$100K

If Roger stays as the HBBC, he'll have some replacing to do with a smaller budget than Vandy for sure.  If MLB goes with Tonagel, I doubt Roger will stay on.

valpo64

I have great confidence in ML...he knows what is important in both the short and long term.  He is acutely aware of the facilities situation, staffing including the assistant coaches.    I believe he is also aware of the dollars out there for future plans and the concerns of those having those dollars.  I am anxious to see how this whole dilemma things works out.  In any event, let's look forward to next season and another good year.  I, for one, am optimistic.  GO VALPO!

sliman

Our beat writer is increasingly on the "national stage" as well; first with an interview by a Utah ESPN affiliate, now by the Nashville newspaper:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2016/04/05/getting-know-coach-bryce-drew/82649156/

FWalum

Quote from: VU2014 on April 04, 2016, 02:30:07 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen Indiana Wesleyan play? Greg Tonagel has had a ton of success there. Just curious as to what a Greg Tonagel offense and defense system and style looks like. I confess I've never watched them play but I've heard he's a pretty good coach. My friend went there IWU and he said Tonagel would be a great hire for VU and that its sort of VU situation with Bryce Drew. They've know for the last 3 years that he's going to start getting D1 offers and that its only a matter of time before someone snatches him away from the program.
IWU had a lot of games this past season on ESPN3.  There still may be some games archived for you to watch.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2016/04/04/bryce-drews-salary-compared-kevin-stallings/82639510/

Bryce Drew was paid $377,464 by Valparaiso the same year Vanderbilt basketball coachKevin Stallings earned $2.1 million, according to tax records.

Drew is expected to be Vanderbilt's next coach, replacing Stallings after a 17-year tenure, according to numerous reports. But the only holdup to Drew's hiring was finalizing a contract, a source told USA Today on Monday.

Drew can expect a hefty raise if he is paid anywhere near Stallings' salary at Vanderbilt.

Valparaiso and Vanderbilt are private institutions, and therefore do not have to disclose public records, like coaches' salaries, upon request. However, a Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax, or 990 Form, must be filed for tax purposes, though about 16 months after the reported calendar year.

In the 2013 calendar year, Drew was credited with $377,464 in pay — including $340,958 in base salary, $19,125 deferred and $17,381 non-taxable benefits — according to a 990 Form, obtained by USA Today. He received a new 10-year contract from Valparaiso in December 2013, but terms were not made public.

Drew made more in 2013 than anyone at Valparaiso except the president, who was credited with $420,669 that year.

Also in the 2013 calendar year, Stallings was credited with $2.1 million in pay, including base salary, bonuses and taxable value of various perks and benefits. He signed a six-year deal with Pittsburgh last week, but additional terms were not disclosed.

crusadermoe

Hate to have been right on this one.   Vanderbilt made too much sense.   

I don't want to ruin a day for anyone, but I would bet you Homer will move to Nashville.    Grandkids are quite a tug and he may feel like he would be lurking in the stands as a shadow over a new coach. 

We should wish this amazing family well and just look forward to the next chapter.  I would be really happy with either Powell or Tonagel.   

VU2014

I think I found my top candidate for who I would want replace Bryce. Tennessee-Chattanooga HC Matt McCall. He's only been HC for one year but is young, refreshing, up and comer who was assistant under coach under Billy Donovan at Florida. Good recruiter. Apparently a pretty good Xs/Os guy. He could move to a better conference and maybe get a bit bigger pay raise. What you guys think? Long shot I guess but I think he'd be a great hire

usc4valpo

Jon Scheyer is an interesting candidate, but Valpo is too conservative to take that risk.