• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

They Want Coach Drew

Started by HC, March 23, 2016, 02:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 06, 2016, 10:10:52 AM
Quote from: HC on April 06, 2016, 10:07:36 AM
What in the world is taking this so long to be officially announced  >:(

Lets get it over with so Valpo can start answering some of their own quesitons.

:-X   Lawyers.
You forgot an adjective before "Lawyers"!

VULB#62

It's there in emoji form  ;)

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on April 06, 2016, 10:40:25 AM
Quote from: HC on April 06, 2016, 10:07:36 AM
What in the world is taking this so long to be officially announced  >:(

Lets get it over with so Valpo can start answering some of their own quesitons.

I've been told Bryce is scheduled to be officially introduced this afternoon and to give media interviews later in the day.

Apparently, Roger Powell is also going with Bryce to Vandy.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

bmlvu97

And Bryce is off of the VU BBall webpage...
Brian M. Lenz
Valpo Class of 1997

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: bmlvu97 on April 06, 2016, 11:56:52 AM
And Bryce is off of the VU BBall webpage...

Roger is still there so far ???

agibson

Oren has multiple sources putting Roger on a plane to Nashville (maybe even the same plane as Bryce?).

Suggesting, perhaps, that Matt and Luke are _not_ on the plane?

Press conference at Vanderbilt is apparently 3:30 PM (central).

What's our best hope at this point? Lottich, or even Gore, and hope to keep most of the team intact? Or Donagel and try to keep some sort of longer-term Valpo continuity and bring in a winning HC? Or somebody from outside who might pleasantly surprise us, even if that might take a year or three?

It'll be interesting to see how long Powell stays on the Valpo basketball web site. And how long Valpo goes without making a statement...

Bryce might avoid mentioning Valpo in the press conference, but I suppose he'll characterize what kind of opportunity he sees at Vanderbilt, so we'll learn something by contrast. I'm sure it would be uncomfortable to watch - not sure if they'll stream it. Conveniently, perhaps, I'll be in a meeting.

Vale O. Paradise

Statement is up.
https://t.co/AhBQAt36yB

Vague, as expected. No quotes from Bryce.

agibson

The press conference will apparently stream on YouTube.

Link will probably be available at
http://vanderbilt.edu/coachdrew/

3:30 PM central.

If anyone's brave enough to watch, let us know how it goes.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on April 06, 2016, 11:59:24 AM
https://twitter.com/VandyMBB?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

It makes you want to vomit hearing him say, 'go Commodores'  ;)

It looks like Homer was on the private jet that took Bryce and family to Nashville.

agibson

Quote from: Vale O. Paradise on April 06, 2016, 12:21:31 PM
Statement is up.
https://t.co/AhBQAt36yB

Vague, as expected. No quotes from Bryce.

On valpo.edu/news as well as the Athletics page.

I found this quote a bit interesting:
"We send Bryce to Nashville with our good wishes and fervent prayers for God's richest blessing as he aims for a higher level of success," Heckler said. "I am pleased Bryce has moved to another school focused on academic excellence coupled with athletic accomplishment, and I look forward to rooting for another V.U."

"As he aims for a higher level of success."

I don't know if I'll manage to go so far as rooting for Vanderbilt. Maybe in the post-season. But, it won't surprise me if I turn on a game or two. Might be hard _not_ to turn on Baylor @ Vanderbilt.

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 06, 2016, 12:27:00 PM
https://twitter.com/VandyMBB?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

It looks like Homer was on the private jet that took Bryce and family to Nashville.

Apparently only seats ten, more often six or eight. 

Not enough for the whole team, not that it was really a consideration.

Reports, maybe already discussed, are that there was a team meeting yesterday. Probably with Bryce? Apparently Roger wasn't there.

Vashil has been quoted in the press as being "a little surprised".

valpotx

I will casually pay attention to Vanderbilt, as I do with Baylor.  I won't go out of my way to root for him at Vanderbilt.  Even though I am happy for him, as a competitor, I also view it as being afraid to tackle the challenge of a mid-major long-term.  The fact that he left for a school that was wrongly included in the NCAA tourney over Valpo, only makes it feel worse.  I don't know how much money someone truly needs to be happy, but I would have been ecstatic tackling the challenge of keeping Valpo at the top of the mid-major spectrum, while making what he was putting into the bank.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Quote from: agibson on April 06, 2016, 12:36:56 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on April 06, 2016, 12:27:00 PM

Apparently only seats ten, more often six or eight. 

Not enough for the whole team, not that it was really a consideration.

Reports, maybe already discussed, are that there was a team meeting yesterday. Probably with Bryce? Apparently Roger wasn't there.

Vashil has been quoted in the press as being "a little surprised".

I don't get why Powell wouldn't be there?  If he was interviewing for the Valpo job?  He was afraid to face the guys he recruited to a 4 year commitment?
"Don't mess with Texas"

NativeCheesehead

"Higher level of success?"

Seriously, that quote kind of pisses me off. I know we don't have the resources of Vanderbilt, nor will we ever, and i'm sure nothing was meant by that. But you might as well say: "Yeah, we get it, they're better than us." True or not, you don't say it. Suddenly feeling less confident in the succession plan.

agibson

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 06, 2016, 12:42:45 PM
"Higher level of success?"

Seriously, that quote kind of pisses me off. I know we don't have the resources of Vanderbilt, nor will we ever, and i'm sure nothing was meant by that. But you might as well say: "Yeah, we get it, they're better than us." True or not, you don't say it. Suddenly feeling less confident in the succession plan.

Yeah, that was the interesting bit. Don't know how much of that phrase is from Heckler, how much from Bryce. But, it's frustrating.

It all does seem to cement the ideas of "haves" and "have nots".

But, maybe that's just calling a spade a spade.

Frustrating, to be sure.

ValpoFan

President Heckler is saying the right thing. Remember that Bryce will eventually be one of our richer (if not the richest) alumni. You never know, someday, we may be playing in the Bryce Drew Arena  ;)

talksalot

bbtds

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 03, 2016, 02:25:48 PM
If that's true (not saying it isn't, this is my first season here) shouldn't he have a confirmed or admin account? That's a pretty snarky and crappy comment for an AD to be making on a fan board. Of course he would know more than any of us on here. But let's say that it is... ML, assuming your advocating behind the scenes for ARC improvements, you're doing a great job with the MBB program. But new contract for Dorow? Really?   

ml is Mark LaBarbera for sure.

valpotx

Key statement so far:

"I believe that you should leave a program in a better state than what you inherited.' 

He mentioned this in speaking about the success of each coach at Vanderbilt.  However, this very much applies to what he ends up taking with him to Vanderbilt.  Our name is solid right now, but he might be leaving us with a mess...
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpower

Quote from: valpotx on April 06, 2016, 12:39:12 PMI will casually pay attention to Vanderbilt, as I do with Baylor.  I won't go out of my way to root for him at Vanderbilt.  Even though I am happy for him, as a competitor, I also view it as being afraid to tackle the challenge of a mid-major long-term.  The fact that he left for a school that was wrongly included in the NCAA tourney over Valpo, only makes it feel worse.  I don't know how much money someone truly needs to be happy, but I would have been ecstatic tackling the challenge of keeping Valpo at the top of the mid-major spectrum, while making what he was putting into the bank.
You know, that's easy to say when you and the lives of those around you have been untouched by a major illness or catastrophe (not saying that's the case, but I certainly hope so).  But if you are unfortunate enough to see the devastating financial effects they can have on one's life savings in a country such as ours, you may never feel you have enough.  Often, it's not about happiness, but peace of mind.

atkins

Well, as a smallish Midwestern university with a middling budget and endowment, perhaps we vastly overachieved in men's BB these past few years, and now it is time to return to Earth (i.e., mediocrity). 

FWalum

Quote from: bbtds on April 06, 2016, 02:47:09 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 03, 2016, 02:25:48 PM
If that's true (not saying it isn't, this is my first season here) shouldn't he have a confirmed or admin account? That's a pretty snarky and crappy comment for an AD to be making on a fan board. Of course he would know more than any of us on here. But let's say that it is... ML, assuming your advocating behind the scenes for ARC improvements, you're doing a great job with the MBB program. But new contract for Dorow? Really?   

ml is Mark LaBarbera for sure.
No truer fact has ever been stated on this board.  I have faith that Mark will give us the best options available for a new head coach.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show