• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

They Want Coach Drew

Started by HC, March 23, 2016, 02:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NativeCheesehead

Ok, so ml is our AD. Seriously? I thought you guys were kidding.

So you're telling me...in the (at the time) potential days of needing to hire a new coach for your flagship program, our AD took time out of his day to log on to a FAN site and tell the fans how amusing it is when they pretend to know things? Am I the only one bothered by this?

I'm realistic of my fandom. My season tickets and parking and donations don't buy me or anyone the right to inside info or to be a jerk. But my emotional involvement gives me the right to express my opinion in the right way in the right forum. If I read the top of the site correctly, i'm in the right place. I'm sure every AD in the country would log to their fan's board and laugh at all the misinformation and speculation. That's fine. But seriously?

"Always interesting to read what people know for "a fact" and what they believe has and has not been done for or invested in men's basketball." 

You're right, we don't know. So tell us! Or at least give us the peace to express our (admittedly out of touch) opinions about the school and department that employs you without backhanded ridicule.

atkins

I am sure we did the best we could to keep Bryce as long as possible.  Valpo has so many needs, and there is not an unlimited pool around to address such needs. Good business decisions are often heartbreaking, and that applies to decisions made by Bryce and by the university. 

There has been some grousing on this Board about President Heckler's approach.  I, for one, am happy that President Heckler has been addressing Valpo's various needs with passion.  President Heckler has to play catch-up. I would suggest that during President Harre's two-decade tenure, our facilities fell behind many of our comparators' facilities.  This necessitated President Heckler's efforts to modernize the campus.  In my opinion, President Heckler has rightfully injected substantial life into the campus as a whole. 

Further, higher education has changed at warp speed during the past half-decade, and merely "getting by" with outdated facilities is no longer an acceptable strategy.  It's a different generation of students, and if Valpo wants them to pay its tuition, the facilities had better be top-notch.

VULB#62

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 06, 2016, 04:32:37 PM
Ok, so ml is our AD. Seriously? I thought you guys were kidding.

So you're telling me...in the (at the time) potential days of needing to hire a new coach for your flagship program, our AD took time out of his day to log on to a FAN site and tell the fans how amusing it is when they pretend to know things? Am I the only one bothered by this?

I'm realistic of my fandom. My season tickets and parking and donations don't buy me or anyone the right to inside info or to be a jerk. But my emotional involvement gives me the right to express my opinion in the right way in the right forum. If I read the top of the site correctly, i'm in the right place. I'm sure every AD in the country would log to their fan's board and laugh at all the misinformation and speculation. That's fine. But seriously?

"Always interesting to read what people know for "a fact" and what they believe has and has not been done for or invested in men's basketball." 

You're right, we don't know. So tell us! Or at least give us the peace to express our (admittedly out of touch) opinions about the school and department that employs you without backhanded ridicule.

Cant speak for anyone else, but he did not use the word 'amusing.'  He said 'interesting.'  There's a big difference.  He was saying, in a nice way, that certain comments that preceded his post were Bulls**t and baseless.  He was setting the record straight.  He could have easily said no one on this fan forum knows what the hell they are talking about regarding the inner workings of the department, so eff off, but he didn't. He took the higher road IMO.  That's one of the good points of having ML as our AD.  He does watch and he listens to what fans have to say. I think you are being a bit too sensitive.

a3uge

Would you rather have an athletic director that's actually a fan of the program, or one that's only in it to tickle their own ego and use it as a stepping stone (UWM)? It's great that the administration is reading fan input and in a lot of cases taking action - from "Homer Drew Court Court", to the stand placement in the HL Championship Game, to the social media interaction...

Valpower

One of the developments that took place with us as the top program in the HL was the move to a neutral site tournament in a city close to that of its most ascendant program, Oakland.  This is a shift away from a format implemented, according to some, to accelerate the success of the Butler program--the dominant one at the time.  I'm no expert on the timeline nor do I don't know what was involved in getting that tournament format pushed forward, but it's clear that it helped launch Butler into the stratosphere.  So what happened to us?  How could we not have protected that advantage?  Was this evidence of administrative and strategic weakness on our part?  Was this in any way responsible for the timing of our head coach's decision to leave? Is this going to effect our hiring and recruiting abilities?

VULB#62

Quote from: Valpower on April 06, 2016, 05:45:47 PM
One of the developments that took place with us as the top program in the HL was the move to a neutral site tournament in a city close to that of its most ascendant program, Oakland.  This is a shift away from a format implemented, according to some, to accelerate the success of the Butler program--the dominant one at the time.  I'm no expert on the timeline nor do I don't know what was involved in getting that tournament format pushed forward, but it's clear that it helped launch Butler into the stratosphere.  So what happened to us?  How could we not have protected that advantage?  Was this evidence of administrative and strategic weakness on our part?  Was this in any way responsible for the timing of our head coach's decision to leave? Is this going to effect our hiring and recruiting abilities?

I don't have any insider perspective on what our administration did to try to fight the change behind the scenes, but as mentioned in other threads, Valpo voted against the move when the vote was taken (one of only 2 schools to do so). IMO it was a bag job from the beginning and I stated that previously.  The process was closed door and because we were the ones that would be most affected, we were left in the dark until it was a fait accompli.

a3uge

Quote from: Valpower on April 06, 2016, 05:45:47 PM
8 of the 10 Horizon League ADs voted for it - we weren't one of them. Not sure what more we could have done.

Plus the move was made during the Pearl era, really before Butler's rise to prominence.

IrishDawg

Quote from: a3uge on April 06, 2016, 05:58:45 PM
8 of the 10 Horizon League ADs voted for it - we weren't one of them. Not sure what more we could have done.

Plus the move was made during the Pearl era, really before Butler's rise to prominence.

I'm not on this board a ton, so I have to ask, is your avatar a clever joke or a typo?

StlVUFan

Quote from: IrishDawg on April 06, 2016, 06:08:47 PMI'm not on this board a ton, so I have to ask, is your avatar a clever joke or a typo?
Reportedly, one of the reporters at Bryce's press conference called him Bruce ;)

valpotx

I had hoped for a statement from Bryce talking about his Valpo experience.  It is unfortunate that was not included in the announcement on our website.  I can understand it not being discussed on Vandy's release or press conference, but I had figured to get some type of statement from him about being proud and appreciative of Valpo giving him his big break...and being a large part of his now lucrative contract.  I am sure that he mentioned something to his team, but why not include a few sentences for the fan base of the program that is synonymous with your name?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

As a matter of fact, this interview also sounds off, in regards to the opportunity he was given to say something good about Valpo.  He probably sounds fantastic to Vandy fans because he is saying all the right things to them, but he sounds like someone that is viewing us as long in the past.  He even points to the fact that he has been looking elsewhere for several years.  It doesn't sound like someone that is proud of his alma mater, but is instead proud of what his family did for Valpo.  I think that I am going to get over him as our coach pretty quickly, if he keeps treating our school like we were just a bump in the road to his coaching greatness.

http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040616aat.html
"Don't mess with Texas"

ARCInsider

Some of you need to step away from the keyboard for 48 hours.

valpotx

Quote from: ARCInsider on April 06, 2016, 07:18:28 PM
Some of you need to step away from the keyboard for 48 hours.

Not really.  I am perfectly fine right now.  I don't feel jilted, pissed, irritated, or anything else.  I am just putting myself in his position, and if I was, I would be overly complimentary of the previous job I had, that earned me this opportunity.  I do this when I speak about my previous jobs, that got me to my current position.  I would still be very positive about the new job, but I would do justice to the place that made me who I am in my profession.  Just talking about how it is bittersweet because your dad built the program, and how your family has coached there for many years, does not indicate any type of appreciation whatsoever.  I am sure that he is VERY appreciative, but you could say it publically when those reporters gave him ample opportunity to do so.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

You do not start on you new job by telling your new followers how great your former job was and how good you were while on that job...com'on people.

usc4valpo

I wish Bryce the best - leaving is never a smooth procedure.

I still like the idea of Jon Scheyer as HC. Duke Pedigree, knows Chicago - why not?

valpotx

Most coaches would say something to the effect of, 'I will always have a lot of fond memories of Valpo, that I will cherish forever.  I am looking forward to this new challenge, as I feel that we can compete for a national championship in what to me, is a destination job.'  I am not saying that it needed to be overly effusive in praise for Valpo, but he was given a great opportunity to make this simple statement that conveys such a simple message of appreciation.  I don't even think that he said the name of our school, instead referring to Valpo as 'they' and 'that program.'
"Don't mess with Texas"

NativeCheesehead

Actually no. I do not want a fan of the program hiring the next coach.  I'm a fan. And I have too much emotion and connection to make the type of decision I would expect a professional to make. I want someone who is less concerned about making a popular hire than about someone who will take his program to the next level.  As I've said before, ML has made enough good decisions to get my benefit of the doubt to whomever he hires.  But again I question the decision making of someone who feels the need to defend himself to us.  I highly doubt the gentleman involved in hiring away our former coach wastes time on their fan boards. 

ARCInsider

Quote from: valpotx on April 06, 2016, 07:43:54 PM
Most coaches would say something to the effect of, 'I will always have a lot of fond memories of Valpo, that I will cherish forever.  I am looking forward to this new challenge, as I feel that we can compete for a national championship in what to me, is a destination job.'  I am not saying that it needed to be overly effusive in praise for Valpo, but he was given a great opportunity to make this simple statement that conveys such a simple message of appreciation.  I don't even think that he said the name of our school, instead referring to Valpo as 'they' and 'that program.'

It's going to be okay, bud.

truth219

Will this affect attendance... I think it might.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

valpotx

Nobody crying over here.  Just someone that believes in proclaiming appreciation to those that get you to where you are.  I guess that it comes from my career, where I don't trust people who don't say anything positive about a previous employer.  I only hire people to my company that have at least something positive to say about a previous stop.
"Don't mess with Texas"

ARCInsider

Bryce and his family made this program over 30 years.  The Drew name is synonymous with Valpo basketball.  He doesn't need to say anything for everyone to understand his commitment/love for Valpo.  He made the presser about Vandy, appropriately so.  I'm sure he has been and will be effusive about VU in some of his additional interviews and probably will release a statement of some kind praising Valpo.

a3uge

Quote from: valpotx on April 06, 2016, 06:39:39 PM
As a matter of fact, this interview also sounds off, in regards to the opportunity he was given to say something good about Valpo.  He probably sounds fantastic to Vandy fans because he is saying all the right things to them, but he sounds like someone that is viewing us as long in the past.  He even points to the fact that he has been looking elsewhere for several years.  It doesn't sound like someone that is proud of his alma mater, but is instead proud of what his family did for Valpo.  I think that I am going to get over him as our coach pretty quickly, if he keeps treating our school like we were just a bump in the road to his coaching greatness.

http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040616aat.html

I guess we all know Bryce's motives for interviewing with DePaul, Tulsa, Iowa State, etc. I feel kind of dumb for buying into the whole "people matter" thing, that Bryce was just happy elevating his alma mater and didn't care about the money (was happy making $377,000+). Like I said, I don't blame Bryce and would have done the same thing, but I was naïve to think he was different than any other guy out there that use mid majors as a stepping stone.

I thought Bryce would have stayed until we got our first NCAA tournament win since the 90s or at least until his first recruiting class as a HC graduated... Nah. Instead he left, outbid Valpo for their top assistant, left their best player as eligible to transfer, and left a couple more scholarship slots open because he was one foot out the door already.

Some of you guys are acting like Bryce got Valpo to the Final Four as a coach. He didn't win a tournament game. He got the Vanderbilt job because of his family coaching pedigree, which was fostered by Valpo. I can't recall a coach without an NCAA tournament win get $2.7 million before. So yeah, I can't get behind this whole woe is us attitude, we owe Bryce our whole program thing, and find it a little absurd he couldn't find it in him to thank the fans that blindly gobbled up all the "people matter" stuff he sprouted out while elevating him to god-like status.

VULB#62

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/the-simple-reason-bryce-drew-took-the-vanderbilt-j/nqzyk/?icmp=ajc_internallink_referralbox_free-to-premium-referral

I followed the trail from PO's twitter post to see the Vandy hire from a Georgia Tech perspective.  Its pretty clear from comments by Bryce, his wife and mother in this article that Vanderbilt has always been a long-time goal for Bryce and that he was biding his time until he could make a run at the job. 

IMO Bryce found in Vanderbilt a "Valpo on Steroids." Big private university. Bigger city where VUBB is a major sports attraction.  Though having FB, BB is the flagship.  Bigger arena (of course).  High academic standards.  But athletic "family atmosphere" and small college appeal once inside the Vandy gates.  Actually, reminds me of when Gene Bartow left after several years of success at Valpo and eventually wound up at UCLA.

ValpoDad89

The other factor which may have played a role is Drew's wife who is from MS. Maybe she eventually wanted to get closer to her home since she's been in Valpo since marrying Bryce in '04 or '05. The article implies Bryce was eyeing Vandy for a while and maybe that was a compromise that he would only accept a job with similar attributes as Valpo but with better opportunity and also get somewhere closer to her "home" and Vanderbilt fit that profile. Of course $2.7MM does not hurt the cause.

covufan

Quote from: truth219 on April 06, 2016, 09:13:19 PM
Will this affect attendance... I think it might.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Yes, if they start winning more games, there will be more people in attendance.