• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 37: Valpo vs. GWU, NIT CHAMPIONSHIP, Thursday, March 31, 2016; 6 CDT

Started by valpo04, March 30, 2016, 07:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NativeCheesehead

Let's hypothetical here. Assume Bryce is back and Keith is not. I know we're looking into the Spike situation and a good pitch could bring him back to the region. If bradford can give us the Darien Walker role(when he was coming off the bench) and we can add a little size...this team might not fall off much, if at all. If Byrce leaves, all bets are off.

mb230611

Congrats on your season. I know the Big Dance was your goal, but getting to the NIT finals with a trip to NYC and prime time games on ESPN is very impressive. And I think making it that far may have increased exposure more than one or two games in the Big Dance (making the Sweet 16 would have been a different story of course). For your sake, hopefully the offseason will have no turnover aside from the graduating seniors...for the rest of the Horizon League, hopefully Bryce gets an offer he can't refuse and Peters uses a graduate transfer to follow him haha. Seriously though, I do hope they both return to Valpo next season.

a3uge

It's really bizzare how the NCAA allows transferring without losing eligibility on the 4th or 4 years, but makes someone like Carter sit out a full year and still lose a half year of eligibility. It's frustrating since the power conference schools have an advantage with recruits because they can afford living quarters with a full time masseuse for their athletes, but it's apparently still not enough, so they also can take seasoned mid major players that someone else developed, and oh yeah, that's still not enough, so they hire prostitutes or hire people to take tests for their players.

wh

Quote from: a3uge on April 01, 2016, 08:33:38 AM
It's really bizzare how the NCAA allows transferring without losing eligibility on the 4th or 4 years, but makes someone like Carter sit out a full year and still lose a half year of eligibility.

Actually, he sat out 2 semesters - and lost 2 semesters of eligibility.

valpotx

I highly doubt that Peters would land at Butler.  If he is going to leave us, I imagine that it would be WITH Bryce.  He seems to have a large chip on his shoulder regarding Power 5 teams that passed him up, so I don't see him going to the Big Ten unless Bryce finds a job there too. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I would be very surprised if Alec seriously considers leaving. He's already shown he can bring his same game against Major teams. Unlike a some Mid major players, he's a very well known commodity in the college basketball world. There's as much or more risk with making such a move rather than staying put, having a great senior season, setting records, winning a ton of games, etc.

vu72

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 01, 2016, 07:26:29 AM
Let's hypothetical here. Assume Bryce is back and Keith is not. I know we're looking into the Spike situation and a good pitch could bring him back to the region. If bradford can give us the Darien Walker role(when he was coming off the bench) and we can add a little size...this team might not fall off much, if at all. If Byrce leaves, all bets are off.

It really gets down to a point guard.  Our starting five is pretty set with Alec, Skara, Shane, Tevonn and Derrik.  That is unless we get a graduate transfer or Micah turns into a stud.  In that case we bring David off the bench along with Jubril.  That's seven deep with Shane playing back-up point again.  We need another big, no doubt.  That is where the graduate transfer could really make us something very special.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

We have a couple scholarships open for transfers, and Valpo typically takes on a couple transfers a year. They just didn't this year because all the scholarships were filled.

I think an intriguing option would be Devon Walker out of Florida: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15083032/florida-gators-guard-devon-walker-plans-transfer-graduation. Not because of his play, but just to confuse people.

humbleopinion

Quote from: a3uge on April 01, 2016, 11:40:01 AMNot because of his play, but just to confuse people.

That was exactly what I thought as I read your post!
Beamin' Beacons

HC

it's probably just fear based....I hope

Transferring to a bigger school didn't work out for the NBA hopes of our last guy to try that route, Brandon Wood. 

swiftmutiny

Quote from: a3uge on April 01, 2016, 11:40:01 AM
We have a couple scholarships open for transfers, and Valpo typically takes on a couple transfers a year. They just didn't this year because all the scholarships were filled.

I think an intriguing option would be Devon Walker out of Florida: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15083032/florida-gators-guard-devon-walker-plans-transfer-graduation. Not because of his play, but just to confuse people.
I would pay good money to see three Valpo Walkers on the court at the same time.  :twocents:

a3uge

Quote from: swiftmutiny on April 01, 2016, 03:51:30 PM
Quote from: a3uge on April 01, 2016, 11:40:01 AM

I would pay good money to see three Valpo Walkers on the court at the same time.  :twocents:
We'd need 2 Walker recruits - Darien is a "senior" because he played juco 2 years (again, stupid rule).

Just Sayin

Valpo played horribly and lethargically and their best player, stud Peters decided not to show up. Not a good thing to do when you are on the national stage and being talked about as a potential NBA player.

grad66

Quote from: Just Sayin on April 01, 2016, 05:46:36 PM
Valpo played horribly and lethargically and their best player, stud Peters decided not to show up. Not a good thing to do when you are on the national stage and being talked about as a potential NBA player.
Could any of US play very well with double and sometimes triple coverage. I sincerely doubt it sir.

Just Sayin

As I recall, Homer ran several plays and screen sets to get his stud open in 1998. Much of the offense was centered around getting Bryce open to take the shots. Why didn't Bryce do the same thing with Peters in big games? He got lost the last two games and people who shouldn't even be taking three point shots were launching and missing over and over.

a3uge

You're wondering how a shooting guard that got drafted in the first round seemed to get more open looks than our current power forward?

HC

^^^ this ^^^

Come on people. Use your brains just a little bit.

vusupporter

Just because Peters didn't take shots, doesn't mean there weren't plays run for him. There were a number of plays run designed to get him shots that he couldn't get off because of GW's defense.

usc4valpo

Reality check - Peters is great but he is not NBA potential great.

Just Sayin

McDermott found a way to get it done in big games while facing very good defenses and getting double and triple-teamed. So you are admitting that you think Peters who has put up similar numbers than Bryce over his career is not NBA potential? Wow.

atkins

I am pessimistic that the NCAA will grant Keith another year.  I don't know if Albrecht would even consider Valpo.  Honestly, Valpo is a big step-down from Michigan in competition and prestige.  But if Spike suited-up in a Valpo uniform, he would instantly become our best guard.  He has repeatedly played in high-pressure games and has proven that he can excel in them. He can take a game over and light a fire under this team.  He and Alec can feed off each other's passion. 

We have to demonstrate sustained fire and grit.  That is what leads teams to excel in tournaments and upset higher-ranked opponents. Butler is the model for this -- a smaller school that has demonstrated these qualities time and time again. 

Without substantial improvement plus the addition of a star JC power forward or Albrecht, I do not see us as a top-25 program next year. 

Just Sayin

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 02, 2016, 06:04:02 AM
Reality check - Peters is great but he is not NBA potential great.

Why do you think he is not NBA potential?

Just Sayin

Quote from: grad66 on April 01, 2016, 07:44:32 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on April 01, 2016, 05:46:36 PM
Could any of US play very well with double and sometimes triple coverage. I sincerely doubt it sir.

That is the lamest excuse I've ever heard for not performing well.

Just Sayin

Quote from: a3uge on April 01, 2016, 09:37:54 PM
You're wondering how a shooting guard that got drafted in the first round seemed to get more open looks than our current power forward?

How do forwards like Doug McDermott seem to pull off getting open looks and knocking them down, some with the help from set plays to get him open but Peters can't seem to do? Peters is likely to break nearly of all of Bryce's records.