• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Javon Freeman Liberty

Started by tiny707, February 06, 2019, 07:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlumStreetBum

Quote from: wh on December 28, 2020, 10:40:11 AM
I hope the novelty of reporting JFL game results wears off quickly.

I don't even know who this Jubril Frohman-Lafferty guy is.

bbtds

Quote from: PlumStreetBum on December 28, 2020, 06:17:58 PM
Quote from: wh on December 28, 2020, 10:40:11 AM
I hope the novelty of reporting JFL game results wears off quickly.

I don't even know who this Jubril Frohman-Lafferty guy is.

Didn't he transfer to Northwestern before last season? Jamal Freedom Libertas?

NativeCheesehead

Abe Froman? The sausage king of Chicago?

bbtds

valpotx

DePaul's season ends in a big loss to UConn.  JFL was really the main contributor for the team in most games, except against us, and he did miss a few games due to concussion protocols.  Hopefully they get him some support, otherwise they have another last place finish coming next season:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401308856
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Another big factor for JFL is DePaul will undoubted be transitioning to a new coaching staff.  I think you will see a complete overhaul of the DePaul program after decades of ineptitude under Ponsetto and poor coaching staffs. For Chicagoland college basketball in general, this will be good.

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on March 12, 2021, 12:59:48 AM
DePaul's season ends in a big loss to UConn.  JFL was really the main contributor for the team in most games, except against us, and he did miss a few games due to concussion protocols.  Hopefully they get him some support, otherwise they have another last place finish coming next season:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401308856

The stats would say he performed at about the same level as his last year at Valpo.  At Valpo he shot 43.6% overall, 28.7% from the 3 and 75.0% from the line.  At DePaul he shot 42.7 % overall, 29.3% from the 3 and 74.0% from the line.  Those in virtually the same amount of time on the court.  Overall his scoring dropped from 19.0 to 14.4 ppg as he had to share the ball a little more.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuny98

Quote from: vu72 on March 12, 2021, 08:26:20 AM
Quote from: valpotx on March 12, 2021, 12:59:48 AMDePaul's season ends in a big loss to UConn.  JFL was really the main contributor for the team in most games, except against us, and he did miss a few games due to concussion protocols.  Hopefully they get him some support, otherwise they have another last place finish coming next season: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401308856
The stats would say he performed at about the same level as his last year at Valpo.  At Valpo he shot 43.6% overall, 28.7% from the 3 and 75.0% from the line.  At DePaul he shot 42.7 % overall, 29.3% from the 3 and 74.0% from the line.  Those in virtually the same amount of time on the court.  Overall his scoring dropped from 19.0 to 14.4 ppg as he had to share the ball a little more.
Performed the same with tougher competition. He would have put up over 20 ppg with us. 

wh

I'm not sure how much we can glean from this year's stats. Between COVID and injuries, he only played in 12 regular season games, plus 2 tournament games. He only played 10 Big East conference games in the regular season. He didn't play against top seed Villanova and only 1 game against 2 seed Creighton. How that all would have played out had he played a 33-game schedule instead of 14 and 20 conference games instead of 10 is anyone's guess. He might actually have done better, had he been given more opportunities to adjust to the higher level of play. Conversely, an argument could be made that playing 33 games instead of 14 against high level competition would have worn him down and impacted his stats. We really don't know.

oklahomamick

Javon won 5 games this year.....not fun.  One of the 5 was against us though......
CRUSADERS!!!

bb33

If he came back, I would welcome him like the prodical son. (One can dream)  He is an amazing baller.  We were lucky to have had him for two years.  He just chose the wrong Big East school.   I was so bitter at first, but when you see him play, he is so fun to watch.   

crusaderboy

Plenty of schollies available. At least JFL constantly worked to improve his game and burned to win. Can't say I feel the same about some of the departures.

wh

Quote from: bb33 on March 12, 2021, 11:24:03 AM
If he came back, I would welcome him like the prodical son. (One can dream)  He is an amazing baller.  We were lucky to have had him for two years.  He just chose the wrong Big East school.   I was so bitter at first, but when you see him play, he is so fun to watch.   

I agree 100% with everything you just said. He still has 2 years of eligibility left. Can you imagine!?

Just Sayin

Sunday, November 21      

Joseph Girard   Jordan Wright   Javon Freeman-Liberty   Mark Freeman   Sasha Stefanovic
Nov 20, 2021 Top 5 Performers

......................................Pts.....Reb..Ast
3. Javon Freeman-Liberty
DePaul vs. Western Ill.......   33...   11...   4    

Valpo Joe

Quote from: Just Sayin on November 21, 2021, 08:53:46 AM

Sunday, November 21      

Joseph Girard   Jordan Wright   Javon Freeman-Liberty   Mark Freeman   Sasha Stefanovic
Nov 20, 2021 Top 5 Performers

......................................Pts.....Reb..Ast
3. Javon Freeman-Liberty
DePaul vs. Western Ill.......   33...   11...   4    

How come we can't keep players like JFL  ???

wh

Why would Javon attend our first exhibition game? Why would he talk to the coaching staff prior to the game and he and Matt exchange waves across the court after the game? What would this team look like next year with a starting 5 of Javon, Kobe, Sheldon, Ben, and Thomas? Why would Javon be interested? I could make a legitimate case for it being a very smart move.

usc4valpo

The team would look better if we had better coaching. The excuses are over

wh

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 22, 2021, 01:19:04 PM
The team would look better if we had better coaching. The excuses are over

I don't have the foggiest notion what your comment has to do with JFL being at a Valpo exhibition game, but please don't explain. I'll just assume it has some cryptic connection to Steven Austin or the conference of champions.

crusader05

From what I understand JFL still has a positive relationship and view of Valpo. There was even talk  of him potentially transferring back but DePaul's new coach I think won him over.  There were rumours he texted current players last year saying he wished he hadn't transferred. Unlike other transfers there never seemed to be bad blood or a dislike of valpo just a belief he could get more eyes on him in a different team/league.

tjjvalpo

I caught the beginning of DePaul vs.  Eastern Michigan game today. JFL line so far this year is 24 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists, and 1.8 steals per game. He has been named Big East player of the week twice already! Good for him! They beat Eastern Michigan by 38. It will be interesting how do against Eastern Michigan in a few weeks.

Just Sayin

Oh if we only could have kept him here. I remember the doubters of JFL on this board.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1475946972926390278

valpotx

Quote from: Just Sayin on December 28, 2021, 06:18:19 PM
Oh if we only could have kept him here. I remember the doubters of JFL on this board.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1475946972926390278

Who doubted JFL's ability?  There were a lot of folks disappointed, but I don't remember anyone thinking that he wouldn't personally be successful.  There was a lot of debate on whether Depaul can win, that is true.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Just Sayin

Just go back to the comments section right after JFL decided to transfer. VU72 was one, there were others. I thought he was a stud, they did not. Then JFL decided to come back. Ha!

wh

Javon is not performing nearly as well as his 20 PPG average and DePaul's 9-2 record would suggest.

• 8 of DePaul's 9 wins are against mid-majors.
• They are 3-2 in their last 5 games, with losses to Butler and Loyola.
• Over those 5 games, Javon is averaging 16 PPG which sounds pretty good, but he's 27-80 FG (35%) and 6-30 3FG (20%). Those are Daniel Sackey numbers, only worse because he's taking 16 shots/game, most on the team.
• In contrast, Kobe King is averaging 16 PPG on 53% FG, 44% 3FG. Kobe is averaging his 16 in only 27 minutes. Javon plays 36.
• If Javon (or anyone else) were allowed to shoot basically at will like this with those horrific shooting percentages as a Beacon, the usual suspects would be calling for Matt Lottich's head.
• On the positive side, he has great rebounding and assist numbers.
• Unless something changes, I see another BE losing record in DePaul's future.

wh

It appears that reality has set in for Javon and DePaul. After starting 9-1 they are 0-5 in conference so far.

Javon's stats are excellent:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/305