• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Javon Freeman Liberty

Started by tiny707, February 06, 2019, 07:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

I, for one, would like to see another former Valpo player in the NBA....even if he transferred out and, when doing so, gave mixed messages.

JD24

Quote from: vu84v2 on October 27, 2023, 08:38:39 AMI, for one, would like to see another former Valpo player in the NBA....even if he transferred out and, when doing so, gave mixed messages.
One who'll be identified as a DePaul grad.

FWalum

If I remember correctly, Javon still had a relationship with the former coaching staff and was welcomed back occasionally. If we can use that to our advantage in any way, I have no problem with supporting him.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

tiny707

His Raptors jersey should be hung at Hilltop next to Bryce, Alec and Ryan's.

Chairback

Then we should hang up Donovan Clay's euro jersey too once he signs. 

tiny707

If Donovan makes NBA hang his jersey too at Hilltop.

David81

JFL's transfer taught us a painful lesson about the influence of the transfer portal and the status of VU's MBB program. Alt sports histories are concededly fueled by fantasy, but if he stays, a veteran Valpo squad led by him, Krikke, and Clay is pretty cool to imagine.

wh

Quote from: tiny707 on October 27, 2023, 04:23:03 PM

Jacob Ognacevic has been far more successful at Lipscomb than has been Donovan Clay at Missouri State. I'm thinking statue adjacent to the Victory Bell if he makes the NBA.  ;)

David81

Quote from: wh on November 01, 2023, 10:50:47 AM
Quote from: tiny707 on October 27, 2023, 04:23:03 PM

Jacob Ognacevic has been far more successful at Lipscomb than has been Donovan Clay at Missouri State. I'm thinking statue adjacent to the Victory Bell if he makes the NBA.  ;)

Add JO to that mix....esp for outside shooting.

I know, coulda, woulda, shoulda.

But I think JFL's departure was the statement that it was OK to regard VU as a developmental stop along the way.

vuny98

Javon gave us two great years. He had ambitions to play professionally, and made the choice that his best bet to get there was by moving to a larger school/conference. Looking back on it, with Lottich as the coach and the constant turmoil the team was in, he probably made the right choice. I don't consider him leaving on bad terms. I imagine if Valpo were in a stronger position at the time he would have stayed, at least longer than he did. He did what was best for him.

Clearly different than Clay or JO who didn't do a ton here and moved laterally or down because they didn't want to be here, regardless of the reason.

I for one am happy to consider JFL as a Valpo product even if he isn't listed as such. Maybe not to the same degree as I do Bryce, or Peters or even Krikke (who would have Iowa after his name if he goes pro). But I am not going to hate on him or be all bitter because he moved on from us.

tiny707

Agree 98. Clay wanted to be closer to home too. All three probably stay with current coaching staff.

Pgmado

I know I've talked about this on the pod, but here are my thoughts on JFL.

If COVID never happens, JFL is back at Valpo. Here is my thinking. The team makes the Valley title game and comes up short. Players go home for spring break and are back on campus a week later. Offseason workouts begin with a focus on taking the next step. With Sackey and JFL as the experienced leaders, and Clay/Krikke as emerging talents along with Gordon and Robinson, the team has a real core of players. JFL sees that the team can grow together. Then you throw in Sheldon Edwards in the summer and here comes a freshman that will challenge JFL every day in practice. JFL is Preseason Valley First Team and is likely Player of the Year after AJ Green's injury.

What happens instead is everyone scatters after Valley title loss because of COVID. Players are stuck at home where JFL is around people who keep telling him to leave Valpo. He's not in the gym with his teammates. He's not meeting with the coaches. Instead, he decides to stay in the city and he transfers to DePaul. It's an up-and-down year and when the season ends, his coach gets fired. This has been alluded many times, but JFL was thisclose to coming back to Valpo. Conversations were had and I even went so far as to write a draft of a story that he was transferring back to Valpo. I had alerted my sports editor that such a story was coming "any day now." He wanted to come back, but was essentially (and incorrectly) blocked by DePaul. DePaul hires Stubblefield from Oregon and it becomes a moot point.

Point of all of it is, JFL maintained (and still has) a great relationship with Valpo and that coaching staff. He wanted to come back. If COVID never happens, I don't believe he ever leaves. It's just my opinion and it means nothing at the end of the day. JFL is a very private and quiet person, so I'm not sure that we'll ever get a public declaration of just how close he was to coming back. I'm thrilled that he's on the cusp of his NBA dream and I think the Bulls made a major error in letting him go.

tiny707

Thanks for your take PO. Bulls
could use him now. Game changer.

valpotx

DePaul wouldn't release him?  Valpo always took the higher ground and didn't impede such movement to other programs.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpo14

hmmmm....id ask some of the players under Bryce about that when he left

valpotx

If it was folks that wanted to follow Bryce to Vanderbilt, I support Valpo's decision in those cases
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: valpotx on November 05, 2023, 03:20:10 PM
If it was folks that wanted to follow Bryce to Vanderbilt, I support Valpo's decision in those cases

David Skara comes to mind.

tiny707

26 points for JFL debut with Toronto Raptors.

valpotx

He has an NBA style to him, with his slashing approach and streaky shooting
"Don't mess with Texas"

NativeCheesehead

He had 26 with the G League Raptors 905. Still a nice debut but not for Toronto.

historyman

Quote from: tiny707 on November 11, 2023, 08:07:52 AM
26 points for JFL debut with Toronto Raptors.

If Javon had scored 26 for the Raptors in the NBA there would have been a bunch of Raptor fans talking about it on the NBA channel and Mr. Kim would have been talking to Mr. Chin about it in Kim's Convenience Store off Sherbourne on Queen St. East.

269 Queen St E - Google Maps
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu84v2

As of last night, Javon Freeman-Liberty has officially played in the NBA. In last nights blowout win for the Raptors, he played two minutes and scored two points.

He is the fourth former Valpo player in its D1 era to play in the NBA.

valpotx

Congrats to JFL!  Never had an ill feelings towards him leaving, since it seemed to be driven by those around him.
"Don't mess with Texas"