• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Javon Freeman Liberty

Started by tiny707, February 06, 2019, 07:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nkvu

Quote from: VUSL98 on February 20, 2019, 09:55:13 PM
He certainly drew a lot of contact on the flagrant foul!

He looked like a speed bump in front of a snow plow.

SanityLost17

Grind out the next 2 games for W's and then rest the freshman and anybody else that needs a mental/physical refresher against Evansville.   If we win the next 2 the last one won't matter.  Just a thought...   I mean, that would require 2 road wins in a row....  I mean, it is possible...

M

Hopefully we will find out...but I don't think they're going to sit anybody. These guys haven't played together enough.  I would hope his minutes might come down a bit as the team gets healthier, but I don't know if they are actually going to get healthy until the season is over.

wh

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 21, 2019, 07:25:50 AM
Grind out the next 2 games for W's and then rest the freshman and anybody else that needs a mental/physical refresher against Evansville.   If we win the next 2 the last one won't matter.  Just a thought...   I mean, that would require 2 road wins in a row....  I mean, it is possible...

We've been screwing with lineups from game-1 right up through and including last night. Injuries, recovery from injuries, attitude adjustments, older players starting then newer players starting, Mileek starting to Mileek not starting to Mileek not playing, Kiser not playing to Kiser playing to Kiser starting (rinse, repeat), players getting sick, more injuries, recovering injured/sick players less than 100%, injured players progressing, progressing nicely, losing streak line-up adjustments.

The freaking season is almost over and we're still trying to find a line-up that works! I can just see it now. We rest Javon and Daniel for the Evansville game, then lose our first tournament game, followed by postgame Matt saying "Apparently resting Javon and Daniel against Evansville had a carryover effect to tonight's game and threw us out of sync for the first 10 minutes or so, and that's probably the biggest reason why we were down 17 at that point. But I'm proud the way our guys fought back and even got the lead down to 3 at one point there." PLEASE, no line-up changes that we don't have to make, PLEASE!

tiny707

2018-2019 MVC All Defensive Team and All Freshman Team.

crusadermoe

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on February 07, 2019, 03:26:41 PM
Far and away, the 3 best Freshmen in the MVC statistically are Javon, Green from N. Iowa, and Wilkins from Drake (hope I'm not forgetting anyone).  Right now, Javon is the clear statistical leader over either of the other 2 and would be the shoe-in Freshman-of-the-Year if conference play ended today (assuming an honest process and voters with integrity, of course).   

Javon is ranked 1st (best) in 6 of 10 statistical categories:    Rebounds, FG%, Blocks, Steals, Fouls, TO's
Green is ranked 1st  (best) in 2 of 10 statistical categories:   Points and FT%
Wilkins is ranked 1st (best) in 2 of 10 statistical categories:  Assists, 3FG%

By the way, Javon is 2nd in PPG with 11.0.  Green is averaging 15.0 and Wilkins 10.8.  I note that because it's about as deep as some people think (not on this board) when comparing players.

Green wins Freshman of the Year.  I wonder if Valpo is still suffering from "new kid on the block syndrome" ... missing out on post-season awards because the old-school MVC voters aren't that familiar with Valpo?

justducky

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 05, 2019, 02:52:26 PM
Quote from: wh on February 07, 2019, 03:26:41 PM
Far and away, the 3 best Freshmen in the MVC statistically are Javon, Green from N. Iowa, and Wilkins from Drake (hope I'm not forgetting anyone).  Right now, Javon is the clear statistical leader over either of the other 2 and would be the shoe-in Freshman-of-the-Year if conference play ended today (assuming an honest process and voters with integrity, of course).   

Javon is ranked 1st (best) in 6 of 10 statistical categories:    Rebounds, FG%, Blocks, Steals, Fouls, TO's
Green is ranked 1st  (best) in 2 of 10 statistical categories:   Points and FT%
Wilkins is ranked 1st (best) in 2 of 10 statistical categories:  Assists, 3FG%

By the way, Javon is 2nd in PPG with 11.0.  Green is averaging 15.0 and Wilkins 10.8.  I note that because it's about as deep as some people think (not on this board) when comparing players.

Green wins Freshman of the Year.  I wonder if Valpo is still suffering from "new kid on the block syndrome" ... missing out on post-season awards because the old-school MVC voters aren't that familiar with Valpo?
A month ago I would have been upset but Javon didn't finish strong and without checking I'd guess that the case for Green looks much better today than then. If somebody wants to update all the numbers I'll take a second look but Green had a good case even before our team collapse.

valpolaw

I don't think there's any "new kid on the block syndrome". Javon got the award he deserved. Beyond that, the season has been a huge disappointment and we didn't deserve any other awards.

tiny707

First Team All Conference 2020, All Defensive Team 2020, and one vote shy of DPOY 2020.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

elephtheria47

I'm confused why we are announcing who is available and who is not 48 hours in advance at tourney time. Dont give the other teams any extra time to prepare for who is actually going to be playing for us.

crusader05

In the article it reads as if Lottich was being more cagey and Javon himself was like "yeah i'm playing" so a bit either of a miscommunication or the player not thinking it through before he said something

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: elephtheria47 on March 04, 2020, 07:54:07 AM
I'm confused why we are announcing who is available and who is not 48 hours in advance at tourney time. Dont give the other teams any extra time to prepare for who is actually going to be playing for us.

I agree with Crusader05, I think Javon was honest and Lottich probably didn't want to announce but then had to (as per usual, don't give away game plan etc).  Though consider that this is the conference tournament, may be different set of expectations for marketing reasons.  Having a Top 3 MVP be a game-time decision could hurt attendance?  Doubtful, but marketing is nothing if not over analytical.

M

Should (SHOULD) be able to beat Evansville giving them 48 days of notice if he's in the line up let alone 48 hours.

Brandon

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 04, 2020, 09:40:17 AMI agree with Crusader05, I think Javon was honest and Lottich probably didn't want to announce but then had to (as per usual, don't give away game plan etc).  Though consider that this is the conference tournament, may be different set of expectations for marketing reasons.  Having a Top 3 MVP be a game-time decision could hurt attendance?  Doubtful, but marketing is nothing if not over analytical.
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 04, 2020, 09:40:17 AMI agree with Crusader05, I think Javon was honest and Lottich probably didn't want to announce but then had to (as per usual, don't give away game plan etc).  Though consider that this is the conference tournament, may be different set of expectations for marketing reasons.  Having a Top 3 MVP be a game-time decision could hurt attendance?  Doubtful, but marketing is nothing if not over analytical.

We normally don't make players who have been out with an injury (or in this case, illness) available to the media until after they return, but in this case Matt and I wanted to allow Javon to get as much well-deserved media attention as possible for the all-conference honors he received this week, so we didn't want to decline those requests. It also didn't seem fair to the fans or media members to not allow them to hear from the first-team All-MVC honoree, a big achievement for him and the program. It wasn't a case of Javon saying something he wasn't supposed to or a miscommunication; we weren't going to ask Javon not to be truthful about his status, so both Matt and myself knew he may let reporters know he was playing if that was asked. In this instance, we knew Evansville was going to be prepared for the possibility of playing against Javon regardless of whether or not it was announced/confirmed that he would play.

On a different note, so great to see Javon, Mileek, Kiser and Donovan get well-deserved league honors this week. Very positive vibe around the team and program right now heading into the tournament.

NativeCheesehead

WHY MUST YOU BREAK UP OUR HAND WRINGING AND CONSPIRACY THEORIES WITH A CALM AND RATIONAL RESPONSE???!!!!

elephtheria47

Thanks Brandon. Makes sense. And congrats to JFL on the big accomplishment, definitely deserving!! Glad to hear it being confirmed he will play (although we had all assumed) and agree that we should beat Evansville with 48 days notice, but, madness happens in March and that's why the games are played. Any advantage we can have should be utilized :-)

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Brandon on March 04, 2020, 12:36:59 PM

We normally don't make players who have been out with an injury (or in this case, illness) available to the media until after they return, but in this case Matt and I wanted to allow Javon to get as much well-deserved media attention as possible for the all-conference honors he received this week, so we didn't want to decline those requests. It also didn't seem fair to the fans or media members to not allow them to hear from the first-team All-MVC honoree, a big achievement for him and the program. It wasn't a case of Javon saying something he wasn't supposed to or a miscommunication; we weren't going to ask Javon not to be truthful about his status, so both Matt and myself knew he may let reporters know he was playing if that was asked. In this instance, we knew Evansville was going to be prepared for the possibility of playing against Javon regardless of whether or not it was announced/confirmed that he would play.

On a different note, so great to see Javon, Mileek, Kiser and Donovan get well-deserved league honors this week. Very positive vibe around the team and program right now heading into the tournament.

Thanks for taking time to inform the fans.  It's greatly appreciated and a nice personal touch that many programs might not have taken the time to do.  Please keep us engaged as much as you can! 

In a day where "distance" and "privacy" are overly acted on it's refreshing having yourself, Todd Ickow, Paul Oren and other athletics department contributors being active on this forum where the alumni/fans live during the week.

Its admirable and intelligent to keep us enthused about the program and feeling "ownership level" excitement by having interactions.  Sometimes I think that corporations (Universities) lose touch and expect the worse every time they engage fans in this manner.

P.S.  During rebuilding years its importance is ratcheted up.  Keep us sidetracked, fat and happy with updates and interactions!!!

bbtds

And when they least expect it suddenly have a guy playing his first season after red shirting last season announce his back is better and sit on the bench in uniform but not play. Always keep the fans wondering about something so there is some kind of drama at the AMadness.   ;)

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 04, 2020, 02:22:13 PM
Quote from: Brandon on March 04, 2020, 12:36:59 PM

Thanks for taking time to inform the fans.  It's greatly appreciated and a nice personal touch that many programs might not have taken the time to do.  Please keep us engaged as much as you can! 

In a day where "distance" and "privacy" are overly acted on it's refreshing having yourself, Todd Ickow, Paul Oren and other athletics department contributors being active on this forum where the alumni/fans live during the week.

Its admirable and intelligent to keep us enthused about the program and feeling "ownership level" excitement by having interactions.  Sometimes I think that corporations (Universities) lose touch and expect the worse every time they engage fans in this manner.

P.S.  During rebuilding years its importance is ratcheted up.  Keep us sidetracked, fat and happy with updates and interactions!!!

M

Looks like he will test the NBA waters...my guess is they will want to see him get stronger physically, play on the ball more, and develop a better outside shot. Hope he gets good advice and comes back even hungrier!

justducky

Quote from: M on April 01, 2020, 05:29:17 PM
Looks like he will test the NBA waters...my guess is they will want to see him get stronger physically, play on the ball more, and develop a better outside shot. Hope he gets good advice and comes back even hungrier!

28.7% 3 point shooting isn't going to cut it in the NBA. That number doesn't even cut it in the MVC. Some of that decline may have been mono related but still his percentage was only around 32 when we know he was healthy.

You forgot to mention his runner needing work. It is trash and he needs to forget everything he thinks he knows about it and start all over using glass and backspin and being more situationally selective. I can't put a number on his success with this shot but he seems to have the majority clank over or dribble off the rim. Very frustrating thing for all of us. Some good instruction from a real pro might be extremely helpful.  :thumbsup:

FWalum

Quote from: justducky on April 01, 2020, 06:56:02 PMYou forgot to mention his runner needing work. It is trash and he needs to forget everything he thinks he knows about it and start all over using glass and backspin and being more situationally selective. I can't put a number on his success with this shot but he seems to have the majority clank over or dribble off the rim. Very frustrating thing for all of us. Some good instruction from a real pro might be extremely helpful. 

Javon really has fallen in love with the "floater" and quite frankly if I don't see him shoot another one I wouldn't miss it one bit. Take the :censored: ball strong all the way to the hole.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valporun

I have no issues with Javon testing the waters this year. Get some advice on what improvements to make, skills to work on, and what physical/mental aspects of himself to work on in 2020-21. It will already be a POY battle between Javon, Krutweg, and Green next season. Will be fun watching those three making the MVC a league to be fearing.

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on April 01, 2020, 06:56:02 PMSome good instruction from a real pro might be extremely helpful. 

I thought his uncle, Marcus Liberty, already filled that role for him.