• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Womens Basketball 2020-2021

Started by VUGrad1314, May 21, 2020, 08:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Apparently Valpo WBB will be playing Louisville in a neutral site game at Genesis Convention Center in Gary. Apparently this is so that one of their players can get a local game in front of family but it is still a very nice scheduling get for Valpo. I hope they are able to steal that win but it will be a very tall order against a team of Louisville's caliber. 

https://twitter.com/rickbozich/status/1263163342614642691

NativeCheesehead

I imagine the Hammond Civic Center isn't NCAA regs on the court. Would be a better venue. Old but well mantained. Genesis is a complete dump.

IndyValpo

This is a great game to get. Not quite a home game but close. We should be on the look out for these possibilities.

Unfortunately though I think we will be good, we will get hammered here. The difference between elite and good in women's basketball is huge...

IndyValpo

Stoller has decided not to return, this really hurts.

valpotx

Quote from: IndyValpo on May 24, 2020, 04:49:32 PM

Just graduating or transferring as a GT?
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpotx on May 25, 2020, 01:51:54 AM
Quote from: IndyValpo on May 24, 2020, 04:49:32 PM

Just graduating or transferring as a GT?
Sounds like graduating

valpotx

I don't blame her, as if you are ready to start your career, and the upcoming season is not a certain given the societal changes in the last few months, I wouldn't elect to commit to another year of school, either, unless I wanted to do a Master's degree right away.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

That sucks. I wish her the best and respect her decision to do what's best for her future and career, but it seems like no matter the sport, the instant we start to make some headway and establish ourselves in the MVC, we get hit with a big dose of adversity that sets us back. I hope we're able to turn the corner and start contending on a yearly basis as a program soon.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on November 24, 2020, 01:56:50 AM
This would be quite a non-conference schedule, if actually true:

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/2674

Looks like something Greg Kampe would put together for Oakland!  :o  True or not I'm intending to watch more girl's basketball this season! Fantastic Valley competition!

FWalum

Quote from: justducky on November 24, 2020, 06:48:00 AMTrue or not I'm intending to watch more girl's basketball this season! Fantastic Valley competition!

I agree, after hearing some of the buzz about the super competitive and exciting games from last conference season, I watched the replays of some of the ladies games and was excited for last years conference tournament (that never happened). Planning on watching more games "live" on ESPN this year!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

Wow... Now THAT's a schedule!  I hope the men's team takes notes and challenges themselves like this in the future! Kudos to the coaching staff and AD for putting this together!

IndyValpo

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 25, 2020, 03:37:18 AM
Wow... Now THAT's a schedule!  I hope the men's team takes notes and challenges themselves like this in the future! Kudos to the coaching staff and AD for putting this together!
This schedule is filled with good names. Also other than Purdue they weren't very good last year meaning winnable games.

valporun

Who's ready to see what the Valpo women bring to the court this season?

justducky

Great to see all the returning and recognizable names and faces. :thumbsup:  Despite this familiarity the team little resembled the pretty well oiled machine that was developing last February. :'(  A 10 point loss was not what I was expecting. The whole team looked a bit hesitant and flatfooted with many of the TO's following poor spacing or attack decisions.

On the other hand I'm seeing coach Evans with enough talent for another competitive season in the Valley so I will be standing by!

valporun

They had some jitters to work out, with not having Stoller or Hales to do the inside work anymore, it's now Profitt, Ellenson, White, and Weinman that a lot of work to do to get the ball in the bucket.

valpotx

Unfortunate loss, but a lot of potential to come, if we whittle down those 25 turnovers.

I don't remember seeing this on Nicole, but thought that I would share, since it better explains why she left.  SF Austin is very good at women's basketball, and I wish her well.  She hasn't played in their first 3 games.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/college/basketball/konieczny-focused-on-next-phase-of-college-hoops-career/article_9fc937d6-899a-11ea-8e52-4308b3a005d7.html
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Quote from: valpotx on November 30, 2020, 01:39:48 AM
Unfortunate loss, but a lot of potential to come, if we whittle down those 25 turnovers.

I don't remember seeing this on Nicole, but thought that I would share, since it better explains why she left.  SF Austin is very good at women's basketball, and I wish her well.  She hasn't played in their first 3 games.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/college/basketball/konieczny-focused-on-next-phase-of-college-hoops-career/article_9fc937d6-899a-11ea-8e52-4308b3a005d7.html

Nicole was a Dorow recruit. How many injuries doing that era of Valpo Basketball were there that led to players ending their careers early or transferring? Was this a fault of the trainer then to not send her out for a second opinion, the head coach for not sending her for a second opinion, or what?

I do wish her the best. Sounds like it was the move she needed, since the coaching and training staff at that time didn't look out for her the way they should have.

valpowbb1

They played terribly but a great rebound win at Illinois! Nicole had to have surgery and is out for the season  :(

valpowbb1

valpotx

That is unfortunate to hear for her, given the previous injury history.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Can the women do it again and beat another  B1G team. They are up by three against Purdue in the third quarter!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

Since I can't watch this game, is it our defense that is causing teams to shoot like crap from 3, or are we just getting lucky?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"