• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

We have a coach! Roger Powell Jr

Started by vok22, April 07, 2023, 10:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

I'm so happy right now! This is beyond the scope of my expectations for the best realistic hire we could have made! I take Powell over Lowery easily. When SIU fans say that he ran that program into the ground and had nothing to do with the early success of his tenure I tend to take a lot of stock in that. Maybe he's gotten better as an assistant and I hope he has but we were not in a position to take that gamble. This is so much better! Powell was qualified seven years ago now coaching at the P5 level and learning under Few at a program at Gonzaga I am certain that he is beyond ready! We're about to do some special things in the MVC and show everyone exactly why we were invited! I just know it! GO VALPO!

valpofb16

covufan

Quote from: Chairback on April 07, 2023, 11:37:24 AM
Can I pay for my season tickets today?

I'm serious!
Everyone that wants season tickets should call today. Give the university a signal that a good team matters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu84v2

VULB#62

How fitting. Let the resurrection begin!

SanityLost17

It's important that this is a guy who knows his limitations. 

8 years ago he wasn't ready so he didn't take the job.    Went and got some Final-4 experience as an assistant coach under one of the greatest program builders in the country, Mark Few.   

Now he was ready and takes the job.   That is a sign of maturity.   I think I saw he is only 40 years old.   

David81

VU has posted the announcement to its Facebook page.

Now we know it's for real.  :)

But seriously, this is great news. The boost in morale is palpable.

valpopal

First impressions matter for public relations in a situation like this, even if the featured person is already known to the fans. AD Small has struck the right notes in the Valpo Athletics announcement of Roger Powell's hiring. He also has wisely reached out to the campus community today with an announcement email, which further promises a more detailed video message tomorrow morning. In his initial statement on the formal announcement, Powell additionally has presented a fine first comment, especially the following: "I have some unfinished business to attend to. It's time to get to work..."

Oddly, with the Easter weekend here, perhaps the delayed announcement actually will work out as an advantage since the presentation of Powell as head coach and other surrounding matters can be rolled out in steps for a few days more, and it can even be a topic of conversation for VU fans at family gatherings over the holiday.   

vu84v2

I believe that the boost in morale now will pale in comparison to the boost in morale when Coach Powell's team begins his first season.

valpotx

Could not have made a better hire with Valpo ties and a strong coaching pedigree.  Very excited!
"Don't mess with Texas"

bigmosmithfan_2

Best news in forever with this program. I figured this was the longest of long-shots a couple weeks ago. Credit to AD Small and President Padilla for pulling this off. I didn't think this was possible and boy was I wrong.

I love the "unfinished business" comment. Let's not forget that Coach Powell's last few weeks at Valpo involved one of VU's best teams ever getting snubbed by the NCAA (they were a second-weekend of the Dance team, minimum) and then the heartbreak of losing in the NIT title game at the Garden. There's undoubtedly a lingering painful memory that he's seeking to make right.

Now, announce something with the facilities along with this hire and Powell will be unstoppable on the recruiting trail!

AB

Good hire. Best we could expect under the circumstances. Mark Few speaks glowingly and I think he made the right decision on going to Vandy and Gonzaga. Grow, learn and mature. Also Peter's approval of the hire is a good sign. Not all coaches strike gold from day one and have continued success their whole career. Very few exceptions. Dan Monson left Zags for Minnesota, flopped big time and has floundered at Long Beach State forever. Mark Few stayed and look what he's done! If the dude at FDU had success, theirs hope for Valpo!
       Curious anyones opinion.....Does Powell keep the current assistant staff together? Very fair question. I am assuming Gore and Powell still have a good working relationship.

SanityLost17

Quote from: bigmosmithfan_2 on April 07, 2023, 01:00:17 PM
Best news in forever with this program. I figured this was the longest of long-shots a couple weeks ago. Credit to AD Small and President Padilla for pulling this off. I didn't think this was possible and boy was I wrong.

I love the "unfinished business" comment. Let's not forget that Coach Powell's last few weeks at Valpo involved one of VU's best teams ever getting snubbed by the NCAA (they were a second-weekend of the Dance team, minimum) and then the heartbreak of losing in the NIT title game at the Garden. There's undoubtedly a lingering painful memory that he's seeking to make right.

Now, announce something with the facilities along with this hire and Powell will be unstoppable on the recruiting trail!

I actually keep thinking in my mind Powell and his agent may have been negotiating some sort of tentative agreement for future facilities upgrades for him to say yes to this gig.....

Maybe that is why this dragged on longer than you think it would considering he is a former Valpo guy.   

All speculation, but that is what message boards are for.    Wishful thinking at it's finest.   

valpopal

This is the moment I spoke about in a previous comment. Check the photos and hope for a revival of such spirit at the ARC!
[tweet]1644399646767235075[/tweet]

Pgmado

Quote from: Just Sayin on April 07, 2023, 11:50:43 AM
Quote from: cornonthe on April 07, 2023, 11:30:31 AM
Very happy right now!!! Worst kept secret over the last day...muddled by the Chris Lowrey lie...did I mention how happy I am?!?

I was not a fan of Lowry to say the least. But we don't really know if he was considered, he may have been. Tough to prove it was a lie.

His name never came up in any conversations I had with anyone. Take that for what it is worth.

wh

I can already tell from wh family texts that our family season ticket block next year will be much closer to what it once was. Just one example, my youngest daughter and grandson went from never missing a game in the pre-ML era to losing all interest. Suddenly, she's all excited again. When the girls in my life are happy, I'm happy!

tiny707

My Dad graduated from VU law school in the 50's. Passed away in 2020 May6th after our Arch Madness run. The last time I saw him was watching the Championship game with him on CBS in the nursing home. The next day they wouldn't let me see him because Covid hit and no visitors so I flew home to Chicago. He loved Valpo. License plate was Valpo1. His Dad was a Lutheran minister. Met my Mom at Valpo. Sons bond with Dads over sports. Our bond was VU basketball. A lot phone calls and games. Hell we went to Hilltop to see De Paul and Mark Aquire. Wish I could pick up phone one last time today. Love ya pops. I know you are happy and smiling.

valpolaw

Best news I've read on this forum in a long time. Excited for some brighter days

wh

Matt Lottich and family live 1 street over from 1 of my daughters. Jokingly, she wondered if Matt and Roger might work a deal. I said that might make coaching change history. lol

historyman

Quote from: tiny707 on April 07, 2023, 03:32:48 PM
My Dad graduated from VU law school in the 50's. Passed away in 2020 May6th after our Arch Madness run. The last time I saw him was watching the Championship game with him on CBS in the nursing home. The next day they wouldn't let me see him because Covid hit and no visitors so I flew home to Chicago. He loved Valpo. License plate was Valpo1. His Dad was a Lutheran minister. Met my Mom at Valpo. Sons bond with Dads over sports. Our bond was VU basketball. A lot phone calls and games. Hell we went to Hilltop to see De Paul and Mark Aquire. Wish I could pick up phone one last time today. Love ya pops. I know you are happy and smiling.

I feel that sentiment so well. Thanks for sharing!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo64

Great hire for the University including President Padilla and Dr. Small.  Now let's get Ben and Zack back in the family.  Maybe Brandon too?

craftyrighthander

Nothing new to say, other than I have hope again!!!!

4throwfan

If nothing else, Dr. Small was able to have us put our pitchforks away for a while.

If RJP does turn out to be a good hire (which I hope it is), I hope his contract contains an effective golden handcuff.

historyman

Quote from: valpo64 on April 07, 2023, 04:52:47 PM
Great hire for the University including President Padilla and Dr. Small.  Now let's get Ben and Zack back in the family.  Maybe Brandon too?

Did you mean Zane Doughty from Ben Davis HS?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo64

Yes, thank you for the correction.  Zane, or I should say Mr. Doughty,  i apologize for the name mistake.   I would think Roger and perhaps Coach  Gore could work with Zane whose strength is with his back to the basket.  In any event next year should be fun and interesting.