• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

We have a coach! Roger Powell Jr

Started by vok22, April 07, 2023, 10:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AB

The latest pod cast on the Roger Powell hire is gold!. Not sure what anyone else is thinking, but the energy and candidness in the tone of PO's voice, makes me want the basketball season to start tomorrow! Thanks for delivering great journalism to our reenergized supporters.

elephtheria47

I think Id be willing to take that bet as Valpo has been linked with some portal players. Someone has to be recruiting and, if #1 is canned,  someone needs to be running the program for the players still here.

wh

Quote from: elephtheria47 on April 08, 2023, 06:46:25 AM
I think Id be willing to take that bet as Valpo has been linked with some portal players. Someone has to be recruiting and, if #1 is canned,  someone needs to be running the program for the players still here.

Agreed. Post deleted.

vok22

Obviously a long way to go, but this hire really makes me feel we are halfway back to prominence already. It seems like Small and Padilla are taking basketball seriously, and we have a nationally recognized coach. Can't wait to see what transfer/recruits we go after now.

tjjvalpo

I wanted this hire 7 years ago, but honestly I like even better now. Three years at a Power 5 conference and 4 years at Gonzaga is experience that make him so much better to lead Valpo now. The energy that Powell has is so contagious! Let's Go Valpo!

valpopal

Just watched AD Small's video announcement of the hiring. He did a fine job of touching on various points: highlighting Powell's past success as a player and a coach, profiling him as a family man with values complementary to Valpo's, indicating the importance of Powell's connection to previous Valparaiso University basketball accomplishments, outlining the process of seeking and sorting candidates during the search, expressing hope for a renewal of the basketball team and fan enthusiasm, and even making a plug for the Day of Giving on Tuesday. I hope this is a sign of further capitalization on positive developments through active and aggressive public relations, something that frankly has been a weakness in the past when the university appeared too passive in taking advantage during times of good news.

VULB#62

I really like Small's approach in the use of media to personally reach out to the fan base.  Excellent communication. Makes me feel, as an alum, like I am valued and deserving of the information he is sharing.

He is prepared. He is thorough. His decision to let Matt go was based on analysis and information gathering. Hiring Roger followed the same disciplined approach. And the process involved many in the Valpo community which is so very important. I think Athletics at Valpo are in good hands.

valpo64

Excellent message from   Dr. Small.  The University's recent hirings of Dr. Padilla, Dr. Small and now Roger have me excited about Valpo's future, especially in the area of inter-collegiate athletics.  I am proud to be an Alumnus and supporter of "dear old Valpo".

wh

This from a Chesterton Tribune article announcing Roger's hiring:

"Powell's predecessor, Matt Lottich, was not recruiting Chesterton juniors Tyler Parrish and Justin Sims. It will be interesting to see if Powell takes a different approach to recruiting local talent."

Tyler Parrish, a 6-3 guard, was just named to the IN Junior All-Stars core group. The core group are the top 6 players in the state. Why would we not be recruiting him?

Justin Sims, a bruising 6-6 PF, also made the Junior All-Stars. Impressive video:

https://www.hudl.com/profile/15283119/Justin-Sims

Why were we not recruiting him?

Lastly, if the Chesterton Tribune sports reporter makes a point of mentioning it in his story, he has to be shaking his head in wonderment.

valpopal

I hope everyone is having an even more enjoyable Easter!
[tweet]1645184230593556481[/tweet]

David81

A quick Google search using "Roger Powell Valparaiso" comes up with some nice hits.

The Gonzaga connection definitely helps. An up-and-coming, first-time head coach, from a top program, returns to VU as the top guy. It's a good story arc. It also builds expectations, but that's OK!

I know that folks have lamented the cutbacks and controversies putting VU in the news during these past few years. This is definitely a change.

valpopal

About 14 years ago I was a member in a university committee meeting discussing the topic of men's basketball. At the time, the team was going through a handful of years in a slump. The last good year had been 2003-2004, which ended with a 76-49 loss to Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament. The following six years VU floundered at about .500, its worst year being 2008-2009 [9-22, 5-13, 9th place). During that same span, Gonzaga had finished 9 consecutive years in first place and made the NCAA tournament each year. I recommended to the committee that a representative from the university, perhaps a member of the coaching staff, make a formal study of the success at Gonzaga, another mid-major school, and see if some of its practices could be applied at Valparaiso. My suggestion was not accepted; however, here we are more than a decade later, Gonzaga is still on its amazing 25-year streak, and something similar is about to happen as coach Powell returns from a four-year stint at Gonzaga. I will finally get to see if my recommendation works!   

David81

Quote from: valpopal on April 10, 2023, 10:38:50 AM
About 14 years ago I was a member in a university committee meeting discussing the topic of men's basketball. At the time, the team was going through a handful of years in a slump. The last good year had been 2003-2004, which ended with a 76-49 loss to Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament. The following six years VU floundered at about .500, its worst year being 2008-2009 [9-22, 5-13, 9th place). During that same span, Gonzaga had finished 9 consecutive years in first place and made the NCAA tournament each year. I recommended to the committee that a representative from the university, perhaps a member of the coaching staff, make a formal study of the success at Gonzaga, another mid-major school, and see if some of its practices could be applied at Valparaiso. My suggestion was not accepted; however, here we are more than a decade later, Gonzaga is still on its amazing 25-year streak, and something similar is about to happen as coach Powell returns from a four-year stint at Gonzaga. I will finally get to see if my recommendation works!   

VU and Gonzaga are also similar academic institutions. Gonzaga has about 2x more students than VU, but in many other respects they share common characteristics.

Roger Powell may have passed on VU the last time around, but in his return, we're definitely getting value added. Coaching and recruiting experience in the nation's best mid-major program, exposure to a similar academic institution, and the wisdom of being around the block a few more times all add up.

tiny707

Gonzaga has way more Alumni with deeper pockets for donations which helped them. They also stayed in their conference.

oklahomamick

Welcome Coach Powell.

The job is more difficult than when you left.  We had a momentum but lost it.  If anyone can get it done, it's you. 
CRUSADERS!!!

David81

Quote from: tiny707 on April 10, 2023, 11:20:50 AM
Gonzaga has way more Alumni with deeper pockets for donations which helped them. They also stayed in their conference.

Gonzaga's 2022 endowment was listed at $399m for a student body 2x the size of VU's (2022 endowment of $326m), so they are operating on very similar funding models. (Source: https://www.nacubo.org/Research/2022/Public-NTSE-Tables#2022+NACUBO-TIAA+Study+of+Endowments+(NTSE)+Results)

Of course, it's very likely that Gonzaga's alumni fan base is making more and larger annual gifts to the athletic program than Valpo's. Assuming that's the case, then it's even better that Coach Powell saw that operation in action.

As a long-time denizen of higher ed, let me attest that it's always beneficial to see how other schools are operating at a higher level, especially institutions that are like your own but more successful at whatever you're looking at. You learn things, you see what a next-level might look like, you start imagining new possibilities for your own institution.

It's possible that Coach Powell is returning to VU with a more sophisticated understanding of building off-the-court support for a basketball program. VU could be getting this guy at just the right juncture in his career.

David81

Quote from: valpo22 on April 10, 2023, 12:38:44 PM
Quote from: David81 on April 10, 2023, 12:25:11 PM
Quote from: tiny707 on April 10, 2023, 11:20:50 AM

Gonzaga's 2022 endowment was listed at $399m for a student body 2x the size of VU's (2022 endowment of $326m), so they are operating on very similar funding models. (Source: https://www.nacubo.org/Research/2022/Public-NTSE-Tables#2022+NACUBO-TIAA+Study+of+Endowments+(NTSE)+Results)

Of course, it's very likely that Gonzaga's alumni fan base is making more and larger annual gifts to the athletic program than Valpo's. Assuming that's the case, then it's even better that Coach Powell saw that operation in action.

As a long-time denizen of higher ed, let me attest that it's always beneficial to see how other schools are operating at a higher level, especially institutions that are like your own but more successful at whatever you're looking at. You learn things, you see what a next-level might look like, you start imagining new possibilities for your own institution.

It's possible that Coach Powell is returning to VU with a more sophisticated understanding of building off-the-court support for a basketball program. VU could be getting this guy at just the right juncture in his career.

All good points. the main difference is Gonzaga is a Jesuit university, so you have not only the vertical administration of the Zags but also the horizontal administration of the Jesuit order in the US. This horizontal element across Jesuit institutions is sometimes a liability in ripples from sex abuse priest cases, and sometimes a safeguard with less latitude for isolated Boards to panic or overreact like during COVID. at any rate, powell is a very charismatic guy, who knows what he is getting himself into with valpo off-the-court and is going to bring energy back on the sports side of the house. if this coaching change had to happen, he is a good choice

Yes, I love the fact that Coach Powell knows what the real deal is at Valpo -- beauty marks, warts, and all. I'm sure he could've had safer options for his first head coaching gig, but he chose to return to VU, knowing that this is a challenge. The future of the VU MBB program, and perhaps the University's commitment to D1 athletics, ride on his shoulders. That's a lot to ask of one person, and he had to be aware of the stakes involved. FWIW, I don't think the University could've made a better choice, given the overall circumstances.

wh

I almost took a drive over to campus today, hoping to get a glimpse of Roger walking into the ARC, or some such thing. Totally out of character for me, but after 7 years wandering aimlessly in the desert, it seemed to make sense in the moment.

Hope. It feels good :)

wh

https://twitter.com/RogerPowellJr/status/1645572375419957249?s=20

Dear Paul,
As the only sports journalist that covers Valparaiso University athletics, this is your big moment. Live television, national audience, exclusivity. It doesn't get any bigger. Prepare well, my friend.
Best wishes, wh  :)

justducky

Quote from: wh on April 10, 2023, 07:40:06 PMI almost took a drive over to campus today, hoping to get a glimpse of Roger walking into the ARC, or some such thing. Totally out of character for me, but after 7 years wandering aimlessly in the desert, it seemed to make sense in the moment.

Hope. It feels good

Wander aimlessly no more, as much of what ails us can be cured by one hard fought but winning season.  :thumbsup:

oklahomamick

Wonder if the Zags put in a home and away game with Valpo in the contract when we hired Powell JR.  Just as Valpo and Vandy.
CRUSADERS!!!

historyman

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 11, 2023, 01:43:12 PM
Wonder if the Zags put in a home and away game with Valpo in the contract when we hired Powell JR.  Just as Valpo and Vandy.

They could probably get Vandy home at Spokane only.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Quote from: wh on April 11, 2023, 07:24:37 AM
https://twitter.com/RogerPowellJr/status/1645572375419957249?s=20

Dear Paul,
As the only sports journalist that covers Valparaiso University athletics, this is your big moment. Live television, national audience, exclusivity. It doesn't get any bigger. Prepare well, my friend.
Best wishes, wh  :)

I believe they invited the season ticket holders but you must RSVP.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

RS

Yes they did invite season ticket holders and my wife and I will be going. We have been a host family the last several years for international student basketball players.